PDA

View Full Version : Goldie's test results...

Glacier
09-01-2004, 11:31 PM
Goldie's thyroid tests came back today. Perfectly within the normal range on every aspect! :)

Today is day five of the anti-inflammatory. She's a different dog. She has spent the last three days in a large fenced area with Chase, Pacer, Mac and Ozzy. All males, all easy for her to boss around. Normally, she would feel compelled to keep them all in line and not nicely. Today when I came from work, she was happily tossing a tennis ball in the air and hopping on it. She's always loved tennis balls, but playing fetch with herself is a new one. She has been caught several times wrestling and playing chase with the boys. No snarling observed, haven't even heard the start of a disagreement. She's been amazing!

I am pulling her out when I go to feed as I figure feeding her with them is just pushing my luck! Plus the only way I get her meds into her in the morning is to hide it in soft food. It would be chaos to give her that treat around four other dogs. However, Stuart has promised to build me a "holding pen" this weekend. Goldie could eat in there and take her meds. Then go right back to visit her buddies. All of our other pens have a holding pen--mainly to prevent escapes. The second gate usually stops them if they get by the first one. This pen was thrown up in a hurry so we could pull Mac & Ozzy and we never built the holding pen.

I picked up a two month supply of the meds. My vet says she could stay on it for the rest of her life if it continues to work. I'll just have to get regular blood tests to monitor her liver function.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

anna_66
09-01-2004, 11:43 PM
Oh that is soooo awesome! It sounds like she's a new girl:D
What kind of meds is she taking? Maybe Angus needs to be taking the same thing.

Glacier
09-01-2004, 11:54 PM
Originally posted by anna_66
Oh that is soooo awesome! It sounds like she's a new girl:D
What kind of meds is she taking? Maybe Angus needs to be taking the same thing.

She's taking Meloxicam. It's actually a human arthritis medication, but it is safe for dogs. Goldie gets half of a 7.5mg pill once a day.

anna_66
09-01-2004, 11:59 PM
Thanks, I need to call and talk to the vet about Angus's meds (he's taking prednisone right now) since he's almost out of them. I will mention this to her:)

RobiLee
09-02-2004, 05:27 AM
I'm so glad to hear that Goldie is doing so well. Love the hear that she is getting along so well with the boys ;)

Give her a hug from me please!

Robin :)

bsherman
09-02-2004, 06:45 AM
I have been reading about Goldie and am sooo happy to hear the Meds are working. I know the feeling to have an elder pup feel younger again. My girl changed overnight, well three days, and she has been on her anitiflammatories for 3 years, she gets a wellness test every year because it can be hard on them, but she is doing great. We did a test for 10 days on and 10 days off just incase it was an acute problem, but because of her surgery on her knees it was cronic . I have a happy playful 13 year old. I think Angus might be a candidate for this. He is so beautiful with his greying mussel. Hope both your furbabies stay pups for years to come.

pitc9
09-02-2004, 07:22 AM
YIPEE!!!
I'm so happy for you and Goldie!!!