PDA

View Full Version : Curious

ILoveReptiles
09-01-2004, 07:24 PM
I wonder if it's just me, but when people tell me how personable guinea pigs are, I think how is that possible? Every single time I go into the pet shoppe, they always run away squealing...

Do they calm down after time? I'm just curious. They seem very skittish to me...

chrissycat21
09-01-2004, 07:28 PM
Guinea pigs are very skittish animals when you first meet/get them. The reason I chose my little boy, Taffy who is in my avatar, is because he was the only one that would let me pet him in his cage at the petstore. Once they warm up to you they are the sweetest! Taffy loves to cuddle with me while I watch tv or while I'm on the computer.

The reason guinea pigs are so nervous is because in the wild they were the prey and anything bigger than them, like humans, were predators. They still have that nervous instinct at first, but they do get really loveable and sweet! They do occasionaly still get nervous, mostly around new people is what I've noticed with Taffy, but he isn't as nervous as when I bought him home from the petstore. (All of 7 years ago....Long time!)

wabbitwuver
09-01-2004, 07:30 PM
LOL! Yeah they do! They had soem skinny pigs at the petstore and everytime I visited I got closer & closer to touching them. Eventually they were friendly. HAHAHHAHA once my mom said something above the guinea pigs at the Petstore and her gum fell into the guinea pig tank thingy!It was HILARIOUS!

wabbitwuver
09-01-2004, 07:32 PM
My guinea pig(correction my sister's guinea pig) used to be freaked out before not anymore. Even though I LOVE animals that guinea pig....ooo I just can't stand him! Maybe because I'm allergic to him and he makes me itchy and suffer and he wakes me up in the middle of the night squeeking! ugh!

manda_moo87
09-01-2004, 07:50 PM
I had a guinea pig once. He was VERY shy when I first got him but after a few weeks he mellowed out into a very sweet, affectionate, gentle boy.

(RIP Rusty :()

dogs_4_me
09-03-2004, 01:18 AM
My first Guinea Pig, Angel, was always very skittish...perhaps it was becasue i never got a change to really know her (she died after a couple months:( :( :( :( ) But my other Guinea Pigs weren't. (Abby Angie, and there kids Sam, and Molly, and there kid) lol.