PDA

View Full Version : I've got two sick puppies (flu-like symptoms).

robinh
09-01-2004, 12:37 PM
Kirby and Molly have both had to make quick trips to the white coats this week. Sunday night Kirby started with a little diarrhea. By Monday morning, he'd made messes all over the house and was so weak he was having trouble walking. Wrapped him up in a towel and off we went. Vet said no food or water for 24 hours and he gave him something for the diarrhea, to prevent vomiting, and some antibiotics. Kept him confined all day and by Monday night he was looking better - not great - but better. He didn't poop all day Tuesday since he didn't have anything in him, but this morning he's still got a little diarrhea. I've tried almost everything to get his pills in him, but he's good at getting rid of them.

Last evening Molly started with a little soft stool. By this morning she was making a mess everywhere and she had thrown up on top of that. She was so scared and miserable, I wrapped her up in a towel and off to the white coat we went. While we were there she pooped in the examining room. Man, it was awful but they did a fecal sample on it - nothing. She got two shots, one for diarrhea and one for vomiting. And another type of antibiotic.

We still don't know what it is. At this point we're just treating the symptoms hoping it's some kind of flu and we have to let it run its course. If things get worse, we'll go further with testing. But we're hoping none of the other three get sick.

Need to find a way to get the pills in both of them. Got a couple of ideas - hope they work but would appreciate any good ideas!

We'll be shampooing carpet this weekend.

Logan
09-01-2004, 12:47 PM
What you trying to pill them, Robin? I have to give Murphy one or more pills at every meal and I have been very lucky that she just sucks them down! I usually stick them in a bite of canned dog food, a piece of bread, a piece of meat (any kind), or hide them in the food, masked with yogurt or something else. No problems, so far. Hotdogs, cheese, chicken, pieces of bread, anything that can be disguised as a "treat" usually work for us. But I have done the BilJac frozen food (fresh meat treats) and made meatballs out of it and it works beautifully! that might be an option for you if you can find it.

Good luck! Hope your babies will be better soon and I truly sympathize with the carpet cleaning!!!!

Logan

robinh
09-01-2004, 01:15 PM
With Kirby, we tried cheese, butter, peanut butter, bread w/jelly and wrapped in a little ball of meat. He ate the goodies and spit the pill out. As a last resort we tried the pilling - he walked into the kitchen, looked at us both, and barfed it up on the floor. He then turned around and left the kitchen. "Little Devil" :)

With Molly, she's not a foodie - doesn't really care for treats most of the time. So I'm not sure how we'll get hers in her. :confused:

Logan
09-01-2004, 01:17 PM
You might have to try the old fashioned "alpha" attack, Robin. Shove it to the back of the throat and hold the mouth closed until they swallow. I'm so glad I don't have to do that, but I do sympathize with you.

Logan

KYS
09-01-2004, 04:58 PM
Poor thing.
This sounds like the same thing my pups had last year.
I had to give them antibiotics and stool hardening meds.

I use a similiar method that Logan suggested when
the pills are large. I add butter to the pill,
than shove it in and close the mouth at the same time
I rub a little butter on the front mouth under the nose,
and once the dog licks I know the pills have been swallowed.

tatsxxx11
09-01-2004, 06:01 PM
All of my suggestions have already been mentioned. Luckily, Star takes her without a fuss and Cody, with just a bit of cream cheese...I cover the pill and leave a big blob on the end. She takes it in fine. I sure do hope your babies are better soon:(:(:( Keeping you and the pups in my thoughts:)

stacwase
09-01-2004, 06:12 PM
You could call the vet to see if the pill can be crushed. If so, you can crush it and mix it into something. That's what we have to do with elderly people at the hospital sometimes.

I sure hope your babies get better soon!

robinh
09-01-2004, 08:31 PM
Well, tonight I crushed Kirby's pill and mixed it into his food. No problem! He's a foodie and it went right down.

Molly on the other hand is still not eating. I'll try again tomorrow morning with some canned food. I keep small cans just for when she gets sick. If she doesn't eat tomorrow, it's back to the vet.

Keep your fingers crossed.

dragondawg
09-01-2004, 11:08 PM
Dogs don't get flu which is a respiratory virus, and neither do they get the traditional rotaviruses which cause diarrhea in humans.

There is a possibility your pups could have a touch of Distemper. You didn't state how old the pups were, but sometimes the first Distemper shot doesn't take hold or only provides partial protection due to the interference of maternal antibodies. A blood titer would answer or eliminate it as a possibility.

Another possibility is coccidia or another intestinal parasite. Your Vet should be able to nail this one with the fecal sample.

My two favorite ways of giving pills are:

1. Wrap in melted cheese. It goes down usually in one gulp with no attempt to chew.

2. Hide it inside a peanut butter coating.

anna_66
09-01-2004, 11:20 PM
Of course my suggestions have been stated already (cream cheese & pb) but if I'm having a problem I usually take the pb and put it on my finger, put the pill in it and scrape it on their top teeth. They lick and lick and the pill usually just seems to go down. I hope you have as much luck.

I do hope they both start feeling better soon. I know what it's like to have a dog with the poos:( It takes so much out of them.

robinh
09-02-2004, 08:51 AM
We may be on the mend!!

Kirby ate last night and seems to be getting back to his pain in the butt normal self. Molly wouldn't even touch anything last night and I was going to try a little canned food today, but she wanted to sleep in. SO Dick gave her about a third of a small can of food after I left and she did eat it. We are grinding the pills up and putting them in the food. It's the only way I can see to get it done.

Keep your fingers crossed.

LorraineO
09-02-2004, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by Logan
You might have to try the old fashioned "alpha" attack, Robin. Shove it to the back of the throat and hold the mouth closed until they swallow. I'm so glad I don't have to do that, but I do sympathize with you.

Logan

what Logan said,, but softly and gently stroke thier thorat at the same time,, thats a huge help....

Keep us posted on your babies!

robinh
09-02-2004, 09:54 AM
We did try the "alpha attack" with Kirby the other night. That's when he walked out and threw up the pill. It was just so funny - he wasn't going to take that pill - no matter what we did.

We did have a fecal sample done on Molly since she pooped right in the vets office - nothing.

Thanks for all the great suggestions!

GoldenRetrieverLover_01
09-02-2004, 10:12 AM
Everyone's already said all of my suggestions, sorry I'm a little late. When my dog takes pills it's no problem. Whem he was a puppy we'd put it to the back of his throat and he'd swallow. Now we just mix it in his dry food and he eats it no problem. The grinding thing seems to be working, so keep doing that. I really do wish you look and hope your sweethearts get better!:(

Keep us posted.

lovemyshiba
09-02-2004, 12:33 PM
I don't have any new suggestions for you Robin, but I just wanted to chime in and add my prayers so everyone feels better soon!!
Hopefully it's just something that will pass, and they will be the only 2 who get it:)

Feel better soon Kirby and Molly!!!!!

chocolatepuppy
09-02-2004, 03:54 PM
Hope Kirby and Molly are doing better!

robinh
09-03-2004, 07:32 AM
They're Back!! My two little troublemakers are back. $115 later they are up to their normal tricks this morning. Molly barking and Kirby running. All of this done at a hysterical pace. Oh well, I've got my babies back. Thanks for all the suggestions and prayers.

:D

wolfie
09-03-2004, 09:45 AM
Yay, I'm glad to hear they're okay. ^_^

LorraineO
09-03-2004, 10:01 AM
SUPER!!!!!!
:D :D :D

robinh
09-04-2004, 07:09 PM
Well, here we go again! Had to take Max in today. He's vomiting everything up - even water! I just cleaned the carpet from the last round, now I'll have to do it again tomorrow. I came home from volunteering at a fundraiser for the shelter and found the mess. We've been keeping him penned up to minimize the mess. I sure hope it doesn't hit the last two, but the vet said it probably would. :(

LorraineO
09-04-2004, 07:13 PM
Oh dear,, not so super now,,,,,

hugs to the lil one,, and you,,,,, hang in there!!!:eek:

KYS
09-04-2004, 07:38 PM
Poor Max,
Sending hurry up get well wishes.

robinh
09-05-2004, 06:35 PM
Thanks for all the well wishes. He's better today, but we're watching the last two pretty close

tatsxxx11
09-05-2004, 07:21 PM
Oh no...:(:(:( Max, you gotta get better sweetheart! Lots of positive thoughts coming your way...and yours too robinh! Hugs to the little guy:)

Rachel
09-06-2004, 05:56 AM
Wondering how your three are doing today. I'm hoping the news is good and they all are much better.

robinh
09-06-2004, 09:10 AM
So far so good. Max has soft stools, but not diarrhea. Just keeping my fingers crossed. Keep up the prayers and good wishes. Thanks so much.

KYS
09-06-2004, 09:16 AM
Glad that Max is doing better.
Soft beats loose any day. :)

tatsxxx11
09-06-2004, 07:19 PM
I'll have to remember that Karen..."Soft...better than loose." ;) Max, you keep up the good work cutie! We want firm in a day or two:) {{{HUGS}}}

robinh
09-07-2004, 07:25 AM
Max is sick again! He was up at 1:30 this morning vomiting and had diarrhea again. Dick is taking him to the vet this morning. I hope we can stop this. My poor baby boy is so sick. He is just pitiful. More prayers please!!

KYS
09-07-2004, 05:16 PM
I am so sorry to hear that Max is sick again.
Sending more prayers for Max to be ok.