PDA

View Full Version : Rosco and Abigail Mouse update

catcrazylady
09-01-2004, 10:08 AM
First I want to apologize for all the threads I have not responded too. Work is insane and it has been carrying over into the evenings. Every spare second I have I'm lurking and trying to keep up with everyone.

Now about the new babies. Rosco was a little tiny purring and snuggling machine. Hubby decides we are keeping them and now we have a little MONSTER!!:D He is doing the sideways hunched back walk, blurry little drivebys, and sticking those little paws into anything he can fit them in! SHEW! I had forgotten how busy the babies can be!!
Little Abigail Mouse is up more now but she is still kind of slow and likes to sleep alot. Her back end is up now and she holds holds her high instead of tucked between her legs. That is a major improvement to me.

One thing before I let you all see pictures....;) ...They have fleas really bad and I have to do something now. What is the best thing to do for them right now since they are so young and Abigail is still frail. Are over the counter fleas shampoos ok at this point?

Ok, here are a few new photos

Abigail
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid137/p100f79bb9072146164515a644d928f21/f7310acb.jpg

Silly Rosco
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid137/p7d79d6ef74a70d31ab7b8ccc4baaaa8d/f7310abd.jpg

Kazonked on my housecoat
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid137/pf9343df206d4170bd9c0353cc831cb32/f7310ac1.jpg

Sleepy Abigail Mouse. Awwwwe
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid137/p53b339a85af6cd734d9fb5855bd8b4cc/f7310ab2.jpg

When Rosco sits still he always crosses his paws. I don't know how long he will do this but for now it's all the time. Isn't that cute?
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid137/p72b77af0c5e74ab33608eaad82294e9f/f7310aa8.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid137/p6dab884914f510a3cfafdae360860175/f7310aa3.jpg

It doesn't seem to matter which paw is over which just as long as they are crossed.

Well that's the update.

lizzielou742
09-01-2004, 10:19 AM
Awwwwwwwww!!!! They're so cute!! I love the way Rosco's crossing his paws. Abigail is so teeny tiny!!! If Rosco is hyper now, just wait until his sister is feeling well enough to join him! :D

As for the fleas, I had the same problem with Sophie. My vet told me flea shampoos/flea collars shouldn't be used on kittens under 6 weeks. We just gave her a regular bath with some No More Tears baby shampoo and then used a flea comb on her. It got a lot! Lots of drowned little fleas. Gross!! Are they 6 weeks yet do you think?

christa
09-01-2004, 10:24 AM
Josie was 6-8 weeks when we gave her her first dose of Advantage. We tried EVERYTHING else before that, including bathing her. We even took her to a groomer . . . she still came home with fleas. You REALLY need to get them some Advantage, or some kind of flea medication. You don't want to risk your other cats getting the fleas, if they haven't already.

K & L
09-01-2004, 10:38 AM
Please do not use any flea products on kittens this young, especially the over the counter stuff. Bathing and a flea comb is about your only option at this point. Of course if there are fleas, there's probably tape worms also.

They are adorable and I'm so glad you rescued them. How about mom and other kitten, any luck?

Barbara
09-01-2004, 10:40 AM
How many kissies on his nose spot does this boy get per day?

I couldn't resist.

And is Abigail not the cutest mousie ever:)

Jods
09-01-2004, 10:43 AM
my vet gave me some drops for kittens.... Should I have not put it on her???? Oh no.... she didn't even have fles he said to do it just in case

catcrazylady
09-01-2004, 10:56 AM
I'm not using drops because they are so young but mainly because Abigail is still so down and I don't want anything on her that could even possibly hurt her.
I just heard from a very cat friendly friend that Dawn diswashing liquid works wonders until they can be treated in any other ways.
So I guess a bath is in order tonight! Oh boy!

Lisa,
The mother hasn't been around much at all and I have only seen the baby from a distance once or twice. I'm worried sick for this little one! I haven't given up.

K & L
09-01-2004, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by catcrazylady

Lisa,
The mother hasn't been around much at all and I have only seen the baby from a distance once or twice. I'm worried sick for this little one! I haven't given up.

Keep putting real smelly food (tuna, sardines, chicke) out by your door. They will discover it if they're hungry enough. Do this everyday, I bet you'll get them! I'm glad you're not giving up.

catlover4ever
09-01-2004, 11:07 AM
Lisa, take Lisa's advice and keep putting out some good smelly food....momma and baby will be there in no time.

Now as for Rosco and Abigail.....you should have known what you were in for....an orangie as a kitten. I have my hands full with Abner as an adult...I can only imagine what he was like as a kitten. ;) ;) ;) You know I am just kidding.

I'm in love with the both of them, but I have to say more so Rosco....oh that nose of his!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

catcrazylady
09-01-2004, 12:51 PM
As for the smelly food...I put out smelly cat food stirred in with Cat Chow every morning and every evening. How do you all think I got all these cats to start with??;) :D :D

As a matter of fact I put out and average of 4 to 5 pounds of food daily plus the cans of food.

K & L
09-01-2004, 12:55 PM
As for the smelly food...I put out smelly cat food stirred in with Cat Chow every morning and every evening. How do you all think I got all these cats to start with??;) :D :D

As a matter of fact I put out and average of 4 to 5 pounds of food daily plus the cans of food.

Oh I don't doubt you're feeding:D just thought maybe something real smelly might lure them around!:) Keep up the great work! You're wondeful!:)

RICHARD
09-01-2004, 12:59 PM
Can you find some Diatomaceous earth?

K&L recommended it a while back for an ant problem-
I found out that it is totally natural and it works as a
flea and tick killer too!

You just work some into the animals fur and the fleas will slice themselves to death!!!

The animals can even eat it with no side effects!!

christa
09-01-2004, 01:24 PM
I just heard from a very cat friendly friend that Dawn diswashing liquid works wonders until they can be treated in any other ways.So I guess a bath is in order tonight! Oh boy!

Good luck with the dish liquid thing. That was one thing we tried and didn't work for us. Hopefully you'll have better luck.

I do have one thing I need to say . . . I don't know if you've ever bathed a kitten this young??? Be ready . . . it's the saddest thing ever! We bathed Josie at about 5-6 weeks and I thought she was going to die. She shook really really bad and wouldn't let us wrap her up . . . I cried for an hour!

Bathing will never COMPLETELY do away with the fleas, especially if they're as bad as you say . . . so you'll probably have flea ridden kitties until you think they're old enough for drops.

Good luck though. Hopefully you'll have better luck with it!

catnapper
09-01-2004, 01:58 PM
I'm glad to hear that Roscoe has decided to make his prescence known to the house hold! I hope little Abigail gets full strength soon.

As for kittens... I know what you are talking about! I have two little darlings tearing through my livingroom as I write this (the kids are "babysitting" :D ) They are busy little stinkers, and you never know what they'll get into next! Pouncer was just a kitten this time last year, but its amazing how quickly one forgets about that really active kitten stage! :D

sirrahbed
09-01-2004, 02:58 PM
The insert that came with my sealed box of Advantage says it is safe for use on pregnant and lactating mother cats and will protect the nursing babies she comes into contact with. It goes on in the instructions to say that once the kittens are weaned, to dose them with the dark orange tube. It is regular Bayer Advantage - the only difference being that I order mine online from PetShed and it come from Australia at half the price. Would the instructions for use be that different? If I had the kittens, I would go ahead and give them a dose of the medication to get rid of the fleas. When we brought Emily and Eliot to the vet, we had no idea of their age but they had already had flea treatment and still had a few fleas so our vet gave them each another orange dose of Advantage to prevent tape worms and anemia. The orange tube only has 6-7 drops in it. (.4ml)

rg_girlca
09-01-2004, 08:03 PM
Oh Lisa they are absolutely adorable and those little crossed paws on Rosco are just too cute for words.

I hope you are able to get the flea situation under control.

smokey the elder
09-02-2004, 08:41 AM
Advantage is quite safe; you can adjust the dosage for kittens. Dosing is by body weight; the same exact medicine is used for dogs. Good luck with the new kittens. They are so cute!

catmandu
09-02-2004, 08:43 AM
Rosco,and Abigail are so wonderful,Rosco looks like a mainature version,of my Roscoe P Kattrane!They are senastional Cats To BE!