PDA

View Full Version : Do cats need grass?

Former User
12-09-2001, 12:29 PM
Casper and Kitty don't have access outside, so no access for grass either. They're not on hairball treatment either. They never vomit hairballs or vomit in general, so do they need it then? Or cats in general? :confused:

Edwina's Secretary
12-10-2001, 11:05 AM
Edwina has never vomited a hairball but when she does get her supervised trips outside the first thing she does is nibble on some grass. Therefore, I assume it is something she needs/likes. I grow her the cat grass indoors in the winter.

wayne0214
12-11-2001, 08:02 AM
My little residence is surrounded with grass trees,and rose bushes. My furkids have access to grass any time of the year. However, I do not see them eat it much, just once in a while. Is this because they need some roughage in order to "clean out their digestive system", or do they eat it for other purposes?

cr7clark
12-11-2001, 08:41 AM
I understand that cats eat grass as a form of "Pet-po Bismol" when they're stomachs are upset. Some cats have more of a problem with this than others, my Valentine (rb) used to eat grass every chance he got, then throw up on my carpet :mad: !
Bo doesn't seem to have as much of a need for Pet-po Bismol, and she rarely throws up, thank Heavens.

thelmalu99
12-12-2001, 04:32 PM
Hmmm...maybe I should consider growing a pot o'grass for my babies. They're both kind of pukey, so maybe some grass will help?
BosMom, they're always throwing up on my new rugs. Elvis threw up on the one in my room just minutes after I put it down! :mad:

AmberLee
12-13-2001, 12:21 PM
My cats usually have grass available to them and they greatly enjoy it. The ones sold commercially are generally too tall - I cut them down to about 2 to 3 inches. [Long story -- emergency vet trip due to 6" blade of grass mis-swallowed. Grrr.]

Cassy, in particular, runs amuck when new grass come in. He either holds it to his face by wrapping his arms around it, or holds my hand holding the container while he gnaws. SOOOO cute. :D

I'm told the reason that cats prefer to puke on carpet [sorry to be crude :o ] is that they like to sink their claws into something when they're getting sick -- it helps them feel more stablized, apparently.

Good luck with your fur-babies. If they're like mine they'll LOVE cat grass.

Edwina's Secretary
12-13-2001, 12:47 PM
Okay, that explains "on the rug" but why on the MOST EXPENSIVE rug???

AmberLee
12-13-2001, 01:02 PM
:confused: :confused: :confused: How can you ask?

Cats have Excellent taste!

:D ROTFL -- sorry, couldn't resist!

thelmalu99
12-13-2001, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by Edwina's Secretary:
<STRONG>Okay, that explains "on the rug" but why on the MOST EXPENSIVE rug???</STRONG>

My friend's cat once puked on her *brand new* Ralph Lauren duvet cover. :eek: I told her that it served her right for spending so much money on a piece of fabric. (I'm such a nice, sympathetic friend, LOL!)

4 feline house
12-13-2001, 01:28 PM
I guess that may also explain why they always run the other way when you're trying to place a newspaper under their chin, too! Who of us hasn't run around holding a newspaper close to the ground chasing after a croaking cat?

AmberLee
12-13-2001, 01:48 PM
Dear Leah,

Yeah, sigh. Many, many attempts. One half success.

So glad to know that it's not just me sneaking after a wretching fur-baby with some newspaper.

cr7clark
12-13-2001, 02:35 PM
And it's not just me who diligently examines every inch of new carpet in the house, Resolve Pet Odor and Stain Remover in hand, to make sure I get every fresh spot!! :o
(By the way, Resolve is the best thing I know of to get pet stains out of rugs, bedding and furniture, even older stains)

Cynthia
12-13-2001, 03:01 PM
Stump is the "up-chucker" in my house. He also turns completely around when I'm desperately flinging newspaper or paper towels in front of him. Whenever he's outside (rarely; just under supervision and with a leash) the first thing he does is eat grass..then I know it will be just a matter of minutes until he makes this weird wailing noise and then throws up. Tried growing kitty grass once and he completely ignored it :rolleyes: but I might try it again. And BosMom, I also swear by Resolve!

Mickey4Paws
12-20-2001, 07:10 AM
Hi. Ever since my cats, Mickey and Meesha, have been kittens, I have given them wheat grass. I buy it at Whole Foods Market (a natural health food market). They sell it in little containers already sprouted. Mickey and Meesha nibble on it everyday. I think it helps with digestion.

Lauren