PDA

View Full Version : The night owl.....

slick
08-31-2004, 10:14 PM
I've held on as long as I can but I just have to get some help here. For the past month or so I'm only getting about 3 hrs sleep a night. I go to bed around 11 or Midnight and when I finally fall asleep it's only for a short while and I'm usually wide awake by 2am. I lay in bed and toss and turn, then finally get up and log on to Pet Talk. Finally I go back to bed around 5 or 6am. (Poor Gini is probably getting sick and tired of getting "middle of the night" emails from me by now...)

This is not a physical or emotional problem and I don't think has anything to do with my age. I'm just not tired. I'm not that stressed out at all. My mind just keeps telling me "let's go". It's getting so that I dread going to bed because I know I'll be up in a few hours. Mysteriously enough, when I do sleep I frequently dream of Pet Talkers......:rolleyes: (4 nights in a row now!) Could this addiction be stealing the night? Could it be that I need a 12-step program? :D

Any suggestions other than drugs? I've tried the hot milk, hot bath, exercise (I have a pool in the apt and swim 4 times a week), reading, TV, Pet Talk; nothing helps. I do have a doctors appt next week so will get some advice from her but would like your input as well.

Thanks....
Sleepless in Vancouver

micki76
08-31-2004, 10:20 PM
Benadryl. It's not really a drug, and it works without making me feel like crap the next day. :) I take it about 3 nights a week. It makes me drowsy & keeps me asleep once I get there. Are you on PT or chatting into the night?

Most people buy Tylenol PM’s and take those, but the ingredient in it that makes you sleepy is dyphenhydramine (sp?), which is the same thing as Benadryl.

lovemyshiba
08-31-2004, 11:49 PM
I'm sorry, I don't have any advice for you, but I understand how you feel. I'll go to bed very late, not be able to fall asleep, and in an hour, be back on the computer or watching tv or whatever--it gets frustrating, and you get to the point of thinking "why even go to bed?"
With me, it's usually stress, because I am a huge worrywart
:rolleyes:
I'm interested to hear what your doctor has to say about this.

Kfamr
08-31-2004, 11:52 PM
I think pretty soon we're going to hear on the news..

"Many people across the globe suffer from lack of sleep due to online message board "Pet Talk"

dogs_4_me
09-01-2004, 12:00 AM
I wish i had som advice for you, but i too am up till 3 or 4 in the morning every night.:(

CountryWolf07
09-01-2004, 12:25 AM
Originally posted by Kfamr

"Many people across the globe suffer from lack of sleep due to online message board "Pet Talk"

LOL. That is cute! ;)

slick
09-01-2004, 12:27 AM
"Details at eleven!!" :D :D

teenster3
09-01-2004, 01:02 AM
Have you had sleeping problems in the past? Is there anything that does make you feel sleepy? I don't take drugs to help me sleep. I have a "soothing sound machine" with different nature noises on it that I turn on sometimes. My dad also bought me this big round globe ball that you plug in & it changes colors. It's kind of soothing to look at. I'm not sure what else would help if you've tried bathes & such!
Good Luck, I hope you find something to help you!

Kfamr
09-01-2004, 01:06 AM
"Moderators Karen and Paul arrested in their Mass. home Friday evening for starting minors, senior citizens, and everyone in between on a highly addictive substance"

dogs_4_me
09-01-2004, 01:14 AM
"Moderators Karen and Paul arrested in their Mass. home Friday evening for starting minors, senior citizens, and everyone in between on a highly addictive substance"

LOL:D

lynnestankard
09-01-2004, 06:01 AM
Dear Sleepless in Canada

Have you tried going to bed an hour or two later? Maybe your sleep pattern is out. I know - I know - what sleep pattern!!!!:eek:

The answer has to be - Lavendar!! Honestly Slick it's wonderful - try a couple of drops of the essential oil on a bit of cotton wool and tucked into your pillow case.
Couple of drops of the oil added to a warm (NOT hot) bath.
A warm lavendar wheatbag just placed near your face - NO not on it!! :D

You get the general idea then - anything with lavendar!
Two years ago when I broke my arm and shattered my shoulder - this was the only way I could sleep - even sleeping tablets didn't help.

Do give it a try

Signed - Aunty Lynne xxx

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
09-01-2004, 09:14 AM
Try taking some IT classes - reading the text books will put you to sleep for sure, trust me. ;) :D

Seriously though, I know working on the computer actually stimulates me. Terry got a new computer and I was up until midnight 2 nights in a row getting it all set up and transferring all the data for him. He asked me "Aren't you tired?" And I honestly had to say no, even though I couldn't hardly drag myself out of bed that morning. So I guess what I'm saying is I don't think logging on to PT is the best thing to do. Also, they say you shouldn't exercise within *I think* 3 - 4 hours of bedtime. This might be hard to do also, but try and exercise as early in the evening as possible.

Sometimes what works for me is if I get up and take some aspirin or tylenol. I know that sounds weird, but it works for me. Other times I'm like you, and no matter what I do I can't fall asleep.

Oh, and one last suggestion that I've read in magazines and sometimes works for me. Breathe deep and consciously think about things that make you happy, but aren't necessarily a part of your everyday life. For example, thinking of those sweetie pie new Harris babies isn't a good idea because it will keep your mind on daily happenings. Instead, think about things that aren't part of your daily life that make you happy, for me it's dreaming about the cabin in the woods that I hope to have someday and dreaming about how I will be snowed in with the fireplace roaring away and how I'm all comfy and cozy in my own little cocoon. Whatever it is, make sure your mind doesn't some how come around and get back on daily happenings - that's what you want to block out.

Anyway, now that I've rambled, I sure hope you get some relief soon. I know how awful it is to not be able to sleep.

RICHARD
09-01-2004, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by slick
Mysteriously enough, when I do sleep I frequently dream of Pet Talkers......:rolleyes: (4 nights in a row now!) Could this addiction be stealing the night? Could it be that I need a 12-step program? :D

Take twelve steps away from the computer....

If you have a wireless mouse, you are screwed.;)

Logan
09-01-2004, 01:08 PM
Slick, on a very personal note here, to you, I suffer from horrible insomnia. I have for the last couple of years. Mine is stress induced, I am certain, and my doctor is too. For the first time in my life, I have some health issues to deal with, in addition to job, personal, etc issues. He said that it is a MUST that I get a good night's sleep to help me with the health issues. I am taking a non-narcotic, prescription, sleep aid, when needed. Sometimes I go without. Sometimes I take a half dose, but I do sleep, and very soundly, when I take the full dose, and I've decided that the restful 8 hours of sleep is worth it. It doesn't knock me out to the point that I don't awaken when I hear a pet or child who is making noise (thank goodness, otherwise I wouldn't take it). Just this morning at 4:30 am, Buttercup hit the "on" button on the radio and woke me up, but I was able to go right back to sleep. And I hear my dogs, especially during thunderstorms, when they are upset. And Butter almost always awakens me to go outside in the wee hours of the morning. But overall, if I take my medication, I can sleep and go back to sleep (the key for me). Going to sleep is rarely my problem, but getting back to sleep, once I wake up is tough. The meds help. I don't want to be addicted, and I hope I'm not, but my days go much better when I've gotten a full night's sleep.

Best of luck to you, and listen to your doctor. And if you want some more "insider" information, you let me know. Before I was taking something to help, I was on the computer at all sorts of wild hours of the morning, and people noticed!! LOL!!!!

Logan

dukedogsmom
09-01-2004, 01:13 PM
There's something called Simply Sleep. I think it's made by Tylenol. You might want to try that. Also, Melatonin pills. They adjust the amount in your brain and it's supposed to help you sleep. I don't think either of these is habit forming, either. I can sympathise because I've only had a few of those nights and they're rough! Especially when you have to work the next day. Oh, cut down on the caffine if you drink a lot. That makes your mind and heart more active also. I've found that if I've had too much caffine one day and my body is really tired, I can't get to sleep because my mind is going over everything that's on it at the time.

DJFyrewolf36
09-01-2004, 01:22 PM
I find that valarian root works well for me. I usually get it from the helth food store in pure form and make a tea out of it. Quite soothing and tasty with lemon and honey :). You can also get valarian in pill form, two knocks me out solid for a good 8 hours. I usually find it hard to sleep because of stress (mostly just because my brain dislikes shutting up).

slick
09-01-2004, 04:04 PM
:D :D :D Too funny!
Thanks for the responses everyone and I will take your advice. I've written some down to take to the doctor; I don't want to start taking anything because I'm on Atenolol for BP and just want the doc's approval before popping any more pills.
This is not a stress thing and I'm certainly not depressed so I just can't figure it out.

DF: I did try valarian root but it didn't do a thing for me.
Auntie Lynne: I've heard about lavendar and my friend makes these tiny lavendar pillows so I'll get her to make me one.
Debbie: Years ago I used to meditate but got out of the habit. Maybe I should start up again.
DDM: I've never heard of that so I'll search it out.
Teenster: Years ago when I meditated I had a tape recorder with sound "rain" sounds and "wave" sounds. It help back then but now I've advanced to a CD player. Worth looking into again though. Thanks.
Logan: thanks for the offer. I'll PM you after I see my doctor. Hope you are doing OK, my friend.
Richard and the rest: Just gotta make a joke out of everything don't you? Wouldn't want you any other way. Thanks. :)