PDA

View Full Version : How do I make Pouncer feel loved?

catnapper
08-31-2004, 08:43 PM
He's sooooo hurt and pathetic looking now that the fosters are here. All he does is hiss and growl when the babies are around - and even when they're not. Then he runs from me every time I walk by him. I have kept them in the cage as much as I can because I know it upsets Pouncer. I've given him ooodles of love and attention.

Tonight, he sat in my arms for another good half hour and let me pet him non-stop. He NEVER wants to be loved or petted like that. He'll sit for two minutes and then run to do better things.

I KNOW that we should have htem in a separate room, but the perfect room for that is currently unavailable... but the room *should* be cleared out by this weekend. But I have the feeling that even then Pouncer will sit outside the door growling and hissing.

Sigh, I've rambled. Is there anything I could do to help make this easier for Pouncer? Maybe if I was introducing a permanent member of the family, things would be different, but these girls are temporary. I mean thigns would be different because he'd get used to them aftea while and life would be good.. he might not ever have the opportunity to get used to them before they leave. Also I know that if they were permanent menbers of the family that I'd have had the transition room ready before we brought the new baby home.

Craftlady
08-31-2004, 09:09 PM
He knows he is loved. :) Pouncer is just confused. Give him extra kisses and rubs. Once you get the transition room ready he will settle down.

rg_girlca
08-31-2004, 09:26 PM
I agree that once the room is ready, Pouncer should settle down.

In the meantime, maybe you can rub a towel on the babies to get their scent and then leave it on the floor in front of Pouncer and see what he does.

Good luck catnapper and congratulations on making a difference in these kitties life's.:)

Laura's Babies
08-31-2004, 09:36 PM
I think you are doing all you can under the circumstances. Let him know he is loved and not forgotten and keep talking to him and telling him you love him.

lizzielou742
08-31-2004, 10:10 PM
Aw, I think Pouncer must need some Whiskas Temptations. ;)

Seriously, I can't say anything better than what has already been said. Pouncer knows you love him, but maybe he's just confused. Maybe just talk to him a lot and say his name - isn't it supposed to make them feel better when their name is repeated to them?? (am I making that up?) I don't know, but I think he should calm down some when you get the new room ready.

If not, then he definitely needs some Temptations. :D

How's Allen?

sirrahbed
08-31-2004, 10:16 PM
AWWW Pouncer! You know Meowmie is crazy for you baby!!
This has been interesting reading for me because I need to start preparing for what the reaction will be for my three when we bring the two new babies home in October. I think PIF has some hints at her site, doesn't she?
I am also curious about Allen - and how he has reacted?

catnapper
09-01-2004, 08:16 AM
Originally posted by lizzielou742
Aw, I think Pouncer must need some Whiskas Temptations. ;)

LOL.... we've gone through a whole package. I ran to the ONLY grocery store in the area that DID NOT have Temptations, so I bought something else... he dosen't like them as much, but he *supposes* he could eat them :rolleyes: :D We've gone through a lot of those too. Thank Goodness I started him on weight management food last week because he's about to gain a lot of weight just on treats alone! :eek:

I don't know how ot describe Allen... interested is the best thing I could say. Its funny (once again I wish I had my camera) he sits on the landings of our livingroom steps (step go up three steps to a landing, then turns 90 degree angle to go all the way up) he'll sit on the landing with his whole body on the landing, but the two front paws planted on the step below. Then if they come near the steps, he'll get spooked (because of course they don't slowly walk to the steps - they run at full speed) and both he and the kittens hiss at each other. Then Allen watches them decided to check out something under the couch :p Or he'll watch them from the doorway to the office, sitting in the proper meatloaf formation. He's definately curious as to what they are, and has been very gently watching them. If they come near him s-l-o-w-l-y then he'll sniff them nicely and wonder what they are, until they swat him and run off! Silly girls! I just wish Pouncer would give them this type of chance!

Miss Nicki has been wonderful. I think she likes the girls best of all. She wags her big tail and its so funny to look at a 1-- pound dog being leary of a 1-2 pound kitten! :D

Well, I'm goign to setup a cardboard kitty gate at hte foot of the steps because they figured out how to climb them late yesterday. I don;t want them in Pouncer territory. Which, by the way, he's acting much better this morning. He was even playing with one of the cat toys this morning. We'll see how he responds when I bring them back out of their cage in a bit!

Killearn Kitties
09-01-2004, 08:33 AM
Aww, poor baby Pouncer. I'll bet you're enjoying all the extra cuddle time. :D

catmandu
09-01-2004, 08:36 AM
Pouncer,is a little hurt,taht there are Strange Kittens around,but I think that eventually he will learn,to love them,and they will be the Best Of Pals!Found Cats are Praying taht every one learns to get along!