PDA

View Full Version : Bald Spots

rhonni
12-07-2001, 10:47 AM
My oreo rumpy manx has to bald spots, or lines rather, running up on both sides of his back starting at his rump and going midway up his back. He is not completely bald in these areas but the fur is very very very thin. He has long hair. He is eating and drinking ok. Potty habits seem to be ok. He is playing ok and is acting normal. I am hesitant to take him to the vet because he gets really really upset at the vet's office and it is hard for the vet to examine him because he acts so awful (growling, crying, hissing, trying to bite and scratch). He is strictly an indoor cat and has one sister, a 7 month old brown tabby. She is spayed and he has been nuetered. Any ideas, what could possibly be wrong with him??

wolflady
12-07-2001, 11:08 AM
rhonni, very strange indeed!! The only experience that I have with cats losing hair is one of my friends has a cat that loses hair when she is stressed out. Strange, but true!! Has anything changed to stress your cat out lately? He has a 7 month old sister. Did this start after she came? Hair loss can also be an allergic reaction. That is a possibility also. Is is possible for you to have a travelling vet come to your home? My cat Scooter is the same way in vet's offices, and I hate to take him there because it's embarassing how bad he acts! He's so scared and becomes mr. wild kitty. The vets usually have to sedate him just to do a routine exam! :rolleyes: Good luck and let us know what you find out! Welcome to Pet Talk! :D

rhonni
12-07-2001, 11:41 AM
Back in October when we took him for his annual shots, the vet couldnt even do an exam on him because he was spazzing out so bad. We even have to practically dump him out of his carrier onto the table because he doesnt want to come out of it. As we were leaving, I turned around to ask the vet something and she had a red marker and was drawing big stars on his chart. I asked her what that meant, and she said that it just lets the aides and other doctors know to take extra precaution when handling him. Last year, when it was shot time, he was so upset he pooped on the table! He was carrying on so bad that I got upset and had to leave the exam room. It started before we got the kitten but it was only on one side a very small spot, now they look like they are traveling up his back. Like I said, he is long hair so when you pet him you feel all that fur, but when you touch those balding spots you can feel his skin and it feels really warm to the touch...I wonder if that is normal also.

purrley
12-07-2001, 11:49 AM
rhonni - could there be a chance that your kitty might have picked up a tick or another kinda of bug - might try a tick bath. Gosh I don't know - sounds like you have a real emotional guy there - be careful.