PDA

View Full Version : Vaccinating Nursing Cats

kimlovescats
08-31-2004, 06:55 PM
Q. My pet is pregnant. Is it okay to have her vaccinated?

A. In general, avoid using any medications, drugs, or vaccines in pregnant or lactating (producing milk) animals. Any vaccine component that is modified live could conceivably cross the placenta and cause defects or deaths of the fetuses. This is known to be true in non-immune cats vaccinated with a modified live panleukopenia vaccine during pregnancy. Some vaccines, however, have been tested in pregnant or lactating animals and can be used in circumstances in which the animal does not have immunity to a specific disease and needs to be immunized. If vaccination must occur, use a killed vaccine. Your veterinarian will be able to help you determine which vaccines can or should be given to your pregnant animal.

Josephine was given a killed virus vaccine. This is the only kind I ever give my cats. Beware, as some of the less expensive vaccines are modified live .... and not as safe!;)

rg_girlca
08-31-2004, 10:02 PM
Thank you Kim for this very interesting information.

I never knew there was a live vaccine and a kill vaccine.

I have learned so much from being on PT and I am still learning.

Laura's Babies
08-31-2004, 10:08 PM
THANK YOU SO MUCH for posting this. I was really worried to death about that! PHEW! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

So mama and babies will be alright! YEAAAAAaaa!

catmandu
09-01-2004, 08:54 AM
The Found Cats are hoping,and Praying,that your Little Momma Cat,will be AllRight,and that the Kittens will be as well!