PDA

View Full Version : *Creepy Crawly Warning* This was in my SHOE!

micki76
08-31-2004, 01:21 PM
OMG!!! I always keep my shoes by the bar, a regular pair that I wear most often and my "outside" shoes that are used for stuf in the yard. There were two pairs of my flip flops there and I went to put my regular ones on this morning. It was a little dark in the house still, but I thought I saw something move right out of the regular shoe and scurry off by the tall flip flop. I turned on the kitchen light and I felt my legs go weak. There was a spider there bigger than I've EVER seen. I nearly PUT MY FOOT IN MY SHOE ON TOP OF IT!!!!!! I got out my camera and managed to get a couple of good, clear pics of it, knowing hubby would never believe me. It was BIG.

I then had to decide HOW to kill this thing that must have used the PET DOOR to get in, it was SO BIG. Do I go to the closet to get shoes to wear? If I do, it may go under the COUCH and I won't be able to kill it. Do I risk letting it touch my feet if I don't go get shoes (these things are speed demons, super fast)? Then I realized that I have no shoes BIG ENOUGH to protect me from this thing. So I finally just picked up a shoe and killed it. It didn't even move through all the picture taking and squishing.

The second worst part was PICKING up it's dead, twitching body. UGH!

So, if you're creeped out, DO NOT LOOK AT THESE TWO PICS.
Look at how I got green glowing eyes on this spider, just like Millie's :D
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid137/p6ef185f6a53bcd283e1ff9dca9e431e6/f7335611.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid137/pce930685b5998bffa29e599035e9983c/f733558a.jpg

neko1
08-31-2004, 01:29 PM
Whoa!!:eek: That sucker is big:eek: It gave me chills....ewwww:eek: I would not have had to courage to take a picture or even kill it, I would have run away, I'm a scaredy cat:o

Samantha Puppy
08-31-2004, 01:29 PM
GAG, GAG, GAG, GAG, PUKE!!!!

I HATE SPIDERS!!!!!! Where's the gag smilie? NASTY.

If that were in my house, let alone my SHOE, I'd be moving.

dappledoxie
08-31-2004, 01:33 PM
OMG!!!!!! That thing is freaking scary!!

ComedyDevil
08-31-2004, 01:40 PM
*shudders*

That is one BIG spider. Eww. I'm not scared of spiders, I like watching them - but only from a distance. Last spider that tried to crawl on me got eaten by Squid :eek:

molucass
08-31-2004, 01:46 PM
Ewwww!

It looks like a brown recluse. SCARY!

GoldenRetrLuver
08-31-2004, 01:57 PM
OMG! :eek: I'm usually fine with spiders, but that one gave me the chills.

EWWWW!! Yuck, yuck, yuck!!!

K9soul
08-31-2004, 02:07 PM
That is not a brown recluse, it looks to me like a common funnel web spider or wolf spider type, harmless. Still I'd not particularly care to find one in my shoe, I wouldn't have harmed it though ;)

slleipnir
08-31-2004, 02:08 PM
-dies-

:eek:

Desert Arabian
08-31-2004, 02:13 PM
Ok...that is so gross. It looks like the young wolf spiders we have around here.

If that happened to me...

1. I would scream and cry for about 15 minutes
2. Flee the room
3. Have dad kill it
4. Would never wear those shoes

I have serious arachnophobia, I can't handle spiders at all. ICK! There is a huge spider in our mailbox, little smaller than the one you posted, um...my mail is not that important to me, I refuse to get it!!

I want to cry just looking at that picture. Why did I look, lol. :o

sirrahved
08-31-2004, 02:13 PM
Yup, it's just a wolf spider... and they're scary as all get-out! We watched one crawl in under our door a few months back.

They used to be in my parents' inground pool... and they can swim! They would swim towards me and I would just get out of the pool... I was that scared of them.

lizzielou742
08-31-2004, 02:15 PM
HOLY CRAP THAT THING IS HUMUNGOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SICK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

micki76
08-31-2004, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by K9soul
That is not a brown recluse, it looks to me like a common funnel web spider or wolf spider type, harmless. Still I'd not particularly care to find one in my shoe, I wouldn't have harmed it though ;)

If they stay outside, they live to see another day. If they come inside, I have to kill them.

They’re just too fast and they creep me out too much. *shudders*

We have a lot of these Wolf Spiders here. A LOT.

My Peanuts
08-31-2004, 02:20 PM
OMG! I think I would have peed in my pants, seriously! :eek:

Pam
08-31-2004, 02:50 PM
Micki I took a deep breath before viewing your pictures and I am glad I did. I get chills thinking that you might have put your foot anywhere near that!!! :eek: :eek: We have had a couple of wolf spiders in the garage and my husband thinks they are neat. :rolleyes: Personally I see nothing neat about them. I can totally relate to the hundreds of thoughts that go racing through your mind when you see a spider and are debating about the best way to kill it. Of course the #1 rule is never let it out of your sight because it will surely escape and hide and then crawl on you at night. :eek: Even though one is totally repulsed to look at it, it is necessary to keep it in view! When it comes to cleaning up the dead body I get a ton of tissues in my hand and even then I am afraid it will come back to life and start to crawl on me. :eek:

You are brave to take those pictures while it was still alive. I would have been shaking so bad that they would have been all blurry. :rolleyes: Where where Chester and Millie when all of this excitement was going on? :)

lizbud
08-31-2004, 03:01 PM
:D I love Pam's rules for dispensing with spiders;

"Of course the #1 rule is never let it out of your sight because it will surely escape and hide and then crawl on you at night. Even though one is totally repulsed to look at it, it is necessary to keep it in view! When it comes to cleaning up the dead body I get a ton of tissues in my hand and even then I am afraid it will come back to life and start to crawl on me. "

So totally true......creepy, but true. Makes you skin itch
doesn't it? :eek: :eek:

K9soul
08-31-2004, 03:06 PM
We had a lot of spiders show up in the house I grew up in, in the Missouri Ozarks. I think partly cause we had a cellar that was built under the house and I think they came up through the vents or something. Also we had no air conditioning and had the windows open with box fans in the summer. Though there were screens in place, I still think they got in that way sometimes through a hole or gap or something.

Anyway, as long as they weren't brown recluses, we generally left them alone or tried to catch in a jar to put outside. This is NOT to say I wasn't nervous of them being in my clothes or shoes, I was because it is startling and because brown recluses were very common there too.

However, I remember leaving the little jumping spiders in the widowsills because they always caught flies that buzzed around in the windows :p

Perhaps that is one reason I don't have an extreme aversion or fear of spiders the way so many people do, cause I had so much exposure to them. But also Mom was very nature oriented and we'd always watch nature shows including the ones on spiders. The more you learn about something, the less it tends to frighten you at some point :)

micki76
08-31-2004, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by Pam
When it comes to cleaning up the dead body I get a ton of tissues in my hand and even then I am afraid it will come back to life and start to crawl on me. :eek:

You are brave to take those pictures while it was still alive. I would have been shaking so bad that they would have been all blurry. :rolleyes: Where where Chester and Millie when all of this excitement was going on? :)

LOL!!! Pam, you're so right. I had no less than 4 paper towels folder over once that I picked him up with.

I actually took 6 pictures, and the other 4 were blurry!

Fortunately, the kids were outside during the whole thing. Millie came in just after I killed it (could've been my blood curdling scream that brought her in!) and I was terrified that she might try to eat it while I went for paper towels. :eek: I was afraid to pick her up, she would throw my back out. :D

This is the SECOND one of this size that I've seen this year. :eek:

Sorry it freaked you out, Laura.

I'm kind of upset that I had to kill it. I've been wanting a tarantula and I know that I can't have one until I can stop killing it's relatives. :(

Pam
08-31-2004, 03:16 PM
LOL! LOL! Micki!!! Four paper towels!!! LOL! You would have heard me scream all the way to Texas too! I can't imagine what I would do if one of my dogs or cats ate it. I know the cats would have loved the thrill of killing it and probably would have found it quite tasty! GAG!!!

Micki, my son had a tarantula as a pet once. I could tell you a story that would curl your hair but I am making myself woozy even thinking about it! LOL!

chocolatepuppy
08-31-2004, 03:33 PM
OMG !!! I would have died!!! But I agree with the don't let it out of your sight thing:D If I didn't kill it, and it got away, it could have my house, because I'd be out !!! :p

popcornbird
08-31-2004, 04:00 PM
EWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!! Yuck, yuck, yuck!!! What a freaky spider!!! I can't believe it was in your shoe!

A few days ago, I woke up in the morning, and my leg was itching all over. As I got out of bed, I looked at the ceiling right above me, and there was this HUGE spider.....one of those dark, black, thick-bodied ones, that are so muscular you can practically see the joints in their legs. It was FREAKY!!! I jumped out of bed and looked at my leg, which was swollen, and had bites on it, obviously from that spider!!! :eek::( They were big bites.......certainly not mosquito bites. Had to be that spider.

Anyway, I ran downstairs and got 5 paper towels, ran back upstairs, and climbed on my bed so I could reach it and squish it. I reached up, while trembling, and got it in the 5 paper towels. As I was crumbling the paper on it, the spider fell out and fell on my bed. I SCREAMED!!! :o Then I quickly jumped down, found it, squished it, and flushed it down the toilet. I actually flushed the toilet three times. Sorry spider.......you dare come in my room and bite me, you die. Not exceptions. Any spider that enters my house gets the death sentence. ;)

I sighed with relief, knowing it was gone, and then walked back to my room to get ready for the morning. ;)

I believe this happened last weekend. I still have those bites. Just the thought of that evil spider being in bed with me that night sends chills down my spine. I KNOW it was in my bed because it bit me. Ugh.

AbbyMom
08-31-2004, 07:48 PM
Oh why oh why did I look I know better!

I want to cry just looking at that picture. Why did I look, lol.

I feel the same way. My heart started pounding and my face is flushed. UGH! I can't imagine taking pictures!

KYS
08-31-2004, 08:03 PM
I think I would have passed out! lol
Good thing the spider left your shoe.

popcornbird, You are a brave woman.
I am not sure I could have squished it with a paper
towel. I would have need to use a large object.

gini
08-31-2004, 08:41 PM
Entirely too many legs!

Entirely too big!

Entirely not welcome!

Four paper towels? Heck, I would have gone after it with the whole roll!

rg_girlca
08-31-2004, 11:10 PM
THANK GOD we don't have spiders like that where I live.

I HATE SPIDERS.

If I came across one like that in my shoe, I swear, I would drop dead, johnny on the spot.

EWW, EWW, EWW. That is one HUGE creepy looking spider.

You were so brave to kill it.

DogLover9501
08-31-2004, 11:13 PM
:eek: :eek: :eek: *shudders* I am SO glad we have nothing like that around here!!

wolf_Q
08-31-2004, 11:19 PM
:eek: I saw a spider that looked almost just like that last week!! It was HUGE too! The only difference was the big round part of the body was more of a cream/white color. It was hanging out by the big hole in our front porch (also a snake hangout). It freaked me out! I didn't kill it, just went in the house...if it was in the house things would have been different. I keep looking for the spider, I want to see it again and show it to my mom. She doesn't believe me that it was that big!

CathyBogart
08-31-2004, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by molucass
Ewwww!

It looks like a brown recluse. SCARY!

It looks nothing like a recluse!!

Little wolfie spider. I'd have been glad to relaocate it for ya if I lived closer. :)

micki76
09-01-2004, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by WolfChan
It looks nothing like a recluse!!

Little wolfie spider. I'd have been glad to relaocate it for ya if I lived closer. :)

I wish you did live closer, I would have called you! I felt SO bad killing it, but I just wasn't brave enough to catch & release it, like I've been tying to do with the small ones that I find. :( Still, it's hard for me to catch & release even the small ones. I'm slowly getting over my fear though, so that's good.

I'll never have my Tarantula. :( :( :( I mean, it's like wanting a dog, but killing any that come into your yard. :(

Obviously not a brown recluse. I know what they look like, as well as black widows. When you live in TX you'd better know what those two look like and stay out of their way!

pitc9
09-01-2004, 09:09 AM
Ahhhhhhh I would have flipped out too!!

K9soul
09-01-2004, 09:17 AM
Micki, I admire you so much for making the efforts you are to get over your fear, very brave of you and also compassionate towards other creatures, even ones you fear or feel threatened by. I have to admit, it always kind of upsets me when I hear people gleefully talking about how they squished this or that. Whether it's a tiny one like a bug or a huge one like a whale, it is still a life. Now don't think I'm comparing bugs to whales, I'm not, I know there are FAR more insects and spiders and that the amount people kill when they come across them in their house will do nothing to dent the population. What I AM saying is it is just as much of a life. I don't think I'll ever enjoy killing anything. I will kill things when I need to, but I will never feel any sense of happiness over it. If it has to be done, it has to be done. I just don't like it when people laugh and seem to feel such a pride that they just killed some creature they hated/feared.

No offense meant to anyone of course, just my personal feelings and I know they would be considered odd by many :p

ChrisH
09-04-2004, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by K9soul
Micki, I admire you so much for making the efforts you are to get over your fear, very brave of you and also compassionate towards other creatures, even ones you fear or feel threatened by. I have to admit, it always kind of upsets me when I hear people gleefully talking about how they squished this or that. Whether it's a tiny one like a bug or a huge one like a whale, it is still a life. Now don't think I'm comparing bugs to whales, I'm not, I know there are FAR more insects and spiders and that the amount people kill when they come across them in their house will do nothing to dent the population. What I AM saying is it is just as much of a life. I don't think I'll ever enjoy killing anything. I will kill things when I need to, but I will never feel any sense of happiness over it. If it has to be done, it has to be done. I just don't like it when people laugh and seem to feel such a pride that they just killed some creature they hated/feared.

No offense meant to anyone of course, just my personal feelings and I know they would be considered odd by many :p
Jessica, I agree with every word!!

And Micki, I know that old fears die hard, but one day I am certain they will and you will get your tarantula. :)

Chris

Harmanie
09-04-2004, 11:37 PM
oh my word! Big spider!!!:eek:

I would have flung the shoe half way across the room and screamed bloody murder!

WOW!:eek:

YOur brave

G.P.girl
09-06-2004, 09:52 PM
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: eek!!!! ugh! nasty!!