PDA

View Full Version : Normal or not?

trinity
08-31-2004, 08:59 AM
I wasn't sure if I should post this in General or Health but here goes...

On Sept 20 we will be taking Scooter, the stray we have been feeding, to the White Coats. Should all be ok (which it will be! Positive thinking!!!)he will then join the herd as a spoiled house cat. Here is my question: we have been feeding him for about 1.5 years. He gets a pouch of wet food for breakfast and for dinner, then we have a feeder out all the time for him to fill in the gaps during the day or for midnight snacks...he doesn't seem to gain weight at all though. That has me a little concerned. Hubby says that is normal, as Scooter is an outside cat, he gets a lot more exercise (we have seen him as much as two blocks away.) Does that sound right to those of you with much more experience at rescue and so forth? Thanks a bunch! He is such a sweetie! I can't wait to add him to the herd.

K & L
08-31-2004, 09:01 AM
Has he been neutered? Usually once the cats are fixed they tend to put more weight on. Also, has he been checked for parasites?

Also, THANKS for rescuing this guy!

Jods
08-31-2004, 09:02 AM
mabye you should try if you haven't de-worming him.... I don't know though I can't be a rescue lady till I get my own house... lol
good luck at the vet

trinity
08-31-2004, 09:34 AM
TO my knowledge he is not neutered...or so I assume as he sprays my porch every so often , although he hasn't done that for a few months. This is the cat that I thinks "lives" up the street. He spends all of his time outdoors, in all sorts of weather, and I decided I have had enough! So he is just going to "disappear" from the streets forever and have the life he deserves....;)

K & L
08-31-2004, 09:58 AM
Good for you!;) I bet once he's fixed and in a safe stable environment, weight will appear in no time! Keep us posted.

trinity
08-31-2004, 10:24 AM
Maybe you can help me with this problem...I asked my vet what happens if he is microchipped? I sincerely doubt that he is just by the level of non-care he gets from his "family". They told me they are required to contact the family....my fingers are crossed that he isn't and I don;t think he will be, but if he is, how do I go about "stealing"him?

K & L
08-31-2004, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by trinity
Maybe you can help me with this problem...I asked my vet what happens if he is microchipped? I sincerely doubt that he is just by the level of non-care he gets from his "family". They told me they are required to contact the family....my fingers are crossed that he isn't and I don;t think he will be, but if he is, how do I go about "stealing"him?

If he's not neutered, always outdoors, etc. I really doubt he'll be micro-chipped!

catnapper
08-31-2004, 10:33 AM
Good Luck! I too doubt that he is microchipped. I hope all goes well at the whitecoats. I know he'll be happy and spoiled in his new home! :)

NoahsMommy
08-31-2004, 11:50 AM
I agree with the others, I really doubt that he'll be microchipped.

Thanks for being there for this kitty. :)

LaRana
08-31-2004, 12:25 PM
Aside from parasites and whatnot, if he is a Lizard hunter that might be causing him his weight issues. All my cats that ever ate he little Brown/Green Lizards always were skinny till they quit eating them.

trinity
08-31-2004, 01:03 PM
Okay...I'm in the Pittsburgh area...I'm not sure we have lizards:) I know he has trapped a few moles...he leaves them for us as presents...such a considerate furball, isn't he?:D