PDA

View Full Version : Tricks?

wolf_Q
08-30-2004, 10:03 PM
Nebo needs to learn a new trick. This is what he already knows (that I can think of!): sit, down, shake, high five, beg, speak, wave, play dead, balance a treat, hold a treat/object in his mouth, spin, and bow.

Any ideas on what I should teach him next? What tricks do your dogs know?

DogLover9501
08-30-2004, 10:04 PM
How about "Are you shy?" That is so cute, I love how Jasper does that :D

wolf_Q
08-30-2004, 10:05 PM
Is that where they put their paw over their nose? I started teaching him that a while ago, forgot about that haha..thanks for the reminder.

aly
08-30-2004, 10:06 PM
Does he know how to crawl?

Dogz
08-30-2004, 10:11 PM
I was going to say "crawl" too. That is an adorable trick!

Prince and Otis know how to do that one. :)

wolf_Q
08-30-2004, 10:12 PM
Yeah, I taught him that a long time ago but he won't do it now. It seems that he knows how he just doesn't want to. :rolleyes: Maybe I'll try practicing it again.

I may try teaching him roll-over again. He knew it at one point but won't do it now...I don't know if he's forgotten or just being stubborn!

anna_66
08-30-2004, 10:19 PM
Have you ever tried "say your prayers"? Where they put their feet up on say the bed or a chair, your leg or something like that then put their head down. Roxey can do it, but not as well as she used to.

cali
08-30-2004, 10:21 PM
well you could teack him how to count.. Happy does it in 2 differnt way depending on what I ask her to do. she knows the ages of herself all my dogs, and how old she is turning, she will bark them or tap my hand with her paw the # of times. I cant also give her any number between 1-10 including halves and she will bark them or paw them(well she cant really paw halves, but when barking she does it by barking shorter and softer) alone the same lines I can hold out my hand and tell Misty either 1 or 2 and she will put either 1 paw on my hand or 2, she will also do this with hand singles, I hold up 1 finger then hold out my hand she places 1 paw on my hand, I hold up 2 finger she places both paws on my hand. also what about teaching him to tell the differnce between objects for example I can place a leash and a tug toy(long braided fabric) right beside eachother and tell her "leash" and she will grab the leash or "tug" and she will grab the tug. umm Happy walks herself I will put a leash on her, hand her the end and tell her to take herself for a walk, and she will hold the end and prance around with the leash lol you could teach him to fluff your pillow! I tought happy that it neat lol I hand her my pillow and tell her to fluff it she then precedes to shake the life outa the pillow till its way fluffier then any human could get it! and brings it back to me! :D now fetching a drink from the fridge is not a good idea to teach! lol I know someone with a BC pup who they tought to do this, the pup decided he wanted his mom to get up, so off he went to the frindge, opened it, and upon finding no drinks he preceded to grab the pie in he bottom of the fridge, took it upstairs on dropped it on his moms face lol :eek:

jenfer
08-30-2004, 10:23 PM
How about PUSH A BOX? heehee... Gigi "was" very good at that, but we haven't practice for awhile, so I am not sure whether she remembers it or not. She just learned "roll", it is cute. :D

Cali: HOW can you teach your pup to count?????????????:eek:

binka_nugget
08-30-2004, 10:36 PM
Jump through your arms? It's actually really easy if you use a clicker. Here's a link that Shelteez sent me: here (http://forums.dogzonline.com.au/index.php?showtopic=10197)

Another party pleaser is "go walk yourself". I clicker trained Kai to pick up his leash. Now he just has to figure out to hold it while walking. :rolleyes:

kingrattus
08-30-2004, 11:20 PM
I taught RB Max, Back (he doesn't walk backwards, he does this funny hop. Its cute & ppl loved it.

Also teaching him left & right is very usefull. If hes a swimmer & when he starts to loose his eyesight is when this trick is best used.

I would toss a stick in the water & sometimes Max would loose it. I always could see it & I would tell him right or left & he would go that way until he bumpped into it.

& the best of all was talk urself. I had RB Max doing that at a yr old. as long as no one was around. I made a short leash about a foot long & would hook it to his halti, & he would chase the leash around until he caught it & would prance as he walked himself. Kids & their parents just loved that trick.

tikeyas_mom
08-30-2004, 11:21 PM
how do you teach "back"/?

kingrattus
08-30-2004, 11:26 PM
u hold the leash tight to u, hold a treat (or have one ready) & start to walk forwards forcing the dog to walk backwards & say back, back, back & just ever so gently touch the dogs legs or paws with ur socked feet, it helps them to move backwards to avoid being stepped on & then they learn back with treats.

Its sooo much fun :)

dogs_4_me
08-30-2004, 11:26 PM
Emma knows, shake a paw, high five, wave good bye, rollover, bow and all the basics!

cali
08-30-2004, 11:29 PM
to teach backup stand in front of your dog in a farley narrow space(they they cant turn) and walk "into" the dog, they will back up to get away when they back up immeditly praise and treat, just keep extending the length of the backwords movement.

Cali: HOW can you teach your pup to count?????????????

lol I dunno Happy and Misty are just smart dogs, all I tought Happy to do is tap my hand, and bark, for specifice numbers like her age I just cued her to stop after the correct number of barks(or taps) so many times that she knows it now, how she knows the other stuff is beyond me lol Misty has always been very paww orinated I just put cues to it. now how she figered out that 1 finger means 1 paw, and 2 fingers means both paws is beyond me lol a few days ago my thrat was sore so I decided to teach misty hand signals for that one I held up my fingers to indicate number and she did it, caught me right off gaurd lol

tikeyas_mom
08-30-2004, 11:30 PM
tikeya knows how to spin, sit, sit pretty, play dead, rollover, laydown, come, stay, catch treat in air, hold treat on paws, wave, bow, go through legs, shake paws, give hugs, kiss on commend, and whink on command.

o and speak too.

kingrattus
08-30-2004, 11:35 PM
Heres RB Max doing some of his tricks. Remember he had a sore back & neck so he is slow & couldn't do back to well. He also couldn't roll over any more, He would try & try & try, so I taught him to lay onto his side & I would give his a playfull tummy rub.

I made lots of adjustments in his tricks as he got older & more sore. But it was hard cause he loved doing tricks & wanted to do his old ones, so if he tried on his own I always praised him for trying.

RB Max's Video Page (http://max.iahu.ca/modules.php?op=modload&name=Web_Links&file=index&req=viewlink&cid=1)

This is the video u want to see...

"Max Tricks"
Max doing several tricks
Added on: 26-Dec-2003 | hits: *