PDA

View Full Version : what do your dogs have in their crates...

lovemyshiba
08-30-2004, 05:31 PM
... to sleep on??

About a month ago, we went back to crates--everyone was being left out, but there were to many accidents:(
Surprisingly, they all took to the crates very well. Kito, Abbey, and Riley had been in them before, I have no idea if Jada was.

Anyway, we put their beds in their crates, because they just love their beds. Abbey goes in all the time, and loves it--the bed is a little too big, but she gets in there and rearranges herself. Jada destroyed her bed the first day she was in there (and she has NEVER destroyed anything in our house), so she got a comforter--destroyed that too. She got one more chance with a mat, but she destroyed that too. Riley recently has put a few marks in his bed too. Kito didn't have a bed for his, but he had a blankie and pillow--he pees on it every day just about, but I just wash it and put it back in. Jada gets pillows and a blankie for bedtime, but nothing during the day.

I'm looking at crate pads, and crate beds, and all of that stuff, and trying to figure out what to get for them, since the old beds are getting a little too old.

I was just looking for some input on what you all have in your dogs' crates, if anything?

jenfer
08-30-2004, 05:40 PM
Gigi only goes to her crate at bed time and if I am leaving for a short period of time. Are you using crates at bed time???

I put a big blanket (folded in quarter) and on top I put her hot pink bed. She likes to rearrange her crate too. :) I think she likes her crate. :)

Here is a pic of what it looks like...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/jenfer/gigi/b.jpg

Hope this help.

shais_mom
08-30-2004, 05:41 PM
Well, when I crated Shaianne and Keegan it was the same thing.
Neither of them could keep thinks in their crate b/c they destroyed them.....
So I ended up not putting anything in there at all. So I can't really help! B/c I was a mean mommy and didn't put anything in there with her.
Maybe a cheap pillow from Odd Lots or the dollar store? Or a couple of old sheets?

KYS
08-30-2004, 05:43 PM
Rocky has a soft thick fake two sided lambwool crate pad.
I like it because it fits in the washing machine too.
(he doesn't chew on it.)

lovemyshiba
08-30-2004, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by jenfer
Gigi only goes to her crate at bed time and if I am leaving for a short period of time. Are you using crates at bed time???

They are welcome to sleep wherever they want to at bedtime, however their beds are in their crates--doors stay open though. Kito is not allowed in his crate at bedtime, because he waits until late at night when we're asleep, and goes in and pees in there:rolleyes:

I love Gigi's hot pink bed!!!!!:D

micki76
08-30-2004, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by lovemyshiba
Kito is not allowed in his crate at bedtime, because he waits until late at night when we're asleep, and goes in and pees in there:rolleyes:

Emily, you know Chester and Kito were seperated at birth, right? I swear, everytime you say Kito does something, I just nod my head, cause Chester has all the same bad habits! :rolleyes:

Don't you get tired of the leg lifting? *sigh*

Anyway, they have blankets that I bought at the dollar store & Walgreen's in their crates. The big crate that's used for fosters has a red crate pad that's washable.

ComedyDevil
08-30-2004, 06:00 PM
Toby and Squid don't have crates any more. Ollie sleeps in a crate because he occasionally has accidents at night. He has his blanket in there, and a teddy which he cuddles :)

wolflady
08-30-2004, 06:17 PM
Jada's behavior sounds a lot like Priyas!
No matter what I put in her crate, Priya shreds it up. Most recently, I had a pad in Priya's crate with the fake lambswool covering on top and Priya chewed (or rather, shredded) the entire thing up, so I haven't replaced it with anything! :eek: I feel bad that she has to lie down on her plastic crate floor, but what's the point of putting something in there that she is going to continue to shred it in a matter of days?
I don't know what to do about this bad habit. Anything soft, she loves to shred. She'll take a soft toy over a chew toy anyday (whether I like it or not!)! :rolleyes:
Any suggestions on items that are comfortable that she won't be able to chew up would be greatly appreciated. :confused:

Kfamr
08-30-2004, 06:33 PM
Kiara LOVES her crate.

She has a fake lamb wool pad, 2 pillows, 1 thick bed sheet and a thin bed sheet.

The this bed sheet is so she doesn't scrape against the plastic tray on the bottom. When I do put her in her crate at night (very rare) it gets soooooo annoying hear *scrape scrape scrape* since it's right besides my bed.

She normally only goes in there when we're away though.

After she gets through her puppy stages she'll have my room to herself while we're away.

lovemyshiba
08-30-2004, 06:49 PM
Oh Micki--if only Chester and Kito could meet--wait that would probably be a bad idea, they would just teach each other bad things to do:p I know Kito is sneaking onto my computer when I'm not home--he must be IMing Chester for tips!!!!!:D

Glad to hear I'm not the only one with a crate pee-er, and a shredder:rolleyes:
I do feel bad leaving Jada in the crate with nothing in there, but she just destroys things--I thought Abbey was my destructive doggie!! I give her pillows at bedtime, but only then. They come out first thing in the morning, or I'm sure I would find them in the yard:eek:

I went to Petco to see what they had, and our Petco stinks--I want to get Abbey something like this for her crate:
http://www.jbpet.com/Shopping/product.asp?catalog_name=JBWholesale&product_id=245-0116&category_name=CratesPads

(I'll take the dog too)

I found the lambswool pads, and I may get those, I haven't quite decided yet.
I like these too:
http://www.jbpet.com/Shopping/product.asp?catalog_name=JBWholesale&product_id=245-0110&category_name=CratesPads

Thanks for all of the input!!!!!!

cali
08-30-2004, 06:52 PM
the big wire kennel has 2 old baby blankets in it, Blairs kennel has a baby blanket from his breeder in it, Happy kennel DID have a pillow in it but misty used it at the tourny, my mom fed her that morning, and as usual she threw it up(my dog can NOT eat before playing flyball, because they WILL throw it up!) all over the pillow, there was Misty huddles at the side of the kennle trying her best to stay out of it, we opend the kennle called her, she looked down and around like "uhhhhh.." then jumped out, and the pillow went staright to the garbage! it does need new bedding though, its one of the kennels with the stupid bumps on the bottom, so not very comfy on its own lol Mistys kennel at the flyball building used to have a dog bed in it, till Misty destoryed it, then it has a pillow in it... till it was destroyed... lol so now there is nothing it it. and Ripleys kennel has a great big fluffy white pillow it it! its so fluffy it looks like he is on a cloud! lol Blair sleep in his kennel sometimes, but the rest of the dogs sleep in our rooms with us :p Ripley and Misty on my bed, Happy at the foot of my bed in the summer and on cold winter nights she sleeps cuddled up to me. perky sleep with my mom under her covers, and Blair when with her sleep on the floor, he has so much hair that sometimes it is just to hot for him up there.

chocolatepuppy
08-30-2004, 06:52 PM
Lacey has blankets in her doggie house in her room.She chews at them occasionally. Mandy has blankets in her crate. Mandy doesn't chew her blankets and has to have two of her bunnies(stuffies) left with her, she doesn't chew them either.They only go in their room/crate when we're not home.

lovemyshiba
08-30-2004, 07:00 PM
I did forget to add, that it's not like Jada doesn't have anything to do in the crate.
They all get Kongs in the crate, as well as a bone or another chewie or 2.

Aspen and Misty
08-30-2004, 08:54 PM
I personally like these

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=3176&Ne=40000&R=23555&Nao=9&N=2001+22732

I don't use them, but think they look comfy!

My dog's ONLY get Kong Like toys. NO stuffies, never ever. All stuffies aer picked up and put away before we leave the house. The dog's also get lots of fun other no destroyable toys.

Ashley

QueenScoopalot
08-30-2004, 08:58 PM
ROFLMAO! Spencer I'll have to admit has gotten too tall for his crate, but would still sleep in it at night. But due to my rescuing non-stop of cats and kittens in need, Spencer's crate became the last space in the place! He looked really foolish coming out of it in the A.M anyway (door open all night) and he reminded me of a clown with huge shoes coming out of a tiny car! Spencer's crate contains a whole ton of monkeys! And he loves them all..though mama kitty isn't fond of him! :D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v128/QueenScoopalot/GracieandLittermateEatingDinner.jpg

Poor evicted Spencer....but he knows it's for a good cause! ;)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v128/QueenScoopalot/YouSmellGood.jpg

And he loves the babies sooo much good boy! :D

4 Dog Mother
08-30-2004, 09:11 PM
All my dogs use crates - we use rug remnants for them and occasionally Dazzi or Snoopy will dig at theirs a little and pull some pieces out but not too often. Oreo is having trouble wetting when she is in hers so she has washable rag rugs in hers.

ParNone
08-30-2004, 09:25 PM
Oz and Gully are pretty Felix Ungerish about where they sleep. Gull has a cloth dog bed with stuffing in it and one of my throw blankets in his crate and he's not soiled or destroyed either. He threw up one day and made sure it was in his dog dish, away from his bedding. I'll usually leave a Kong or rubber toy for him to chew on.

Oz sleeps on my bed and never touches anything I leave on it, including remotes, books, clothes, bedding, just whatever. Since it's more or less his bed now too, because Gully has his crate, he's very particular about it. He just about had a coronary, the morning Murph was going to throw up on it. I didn't realize what was happening and he was going nutz barking and running back and forth between me and Murph. I finally figured out what was up and quickly put Murph on the floor before he could hurl on the bed, and Oz calmed down immediately.

Murph has a lambskin snuggle dog bed in his crate. He's never destroyed it or soiled it. He'd rather sleep on my bed though, I'm sure, but I'm afraid to leave him on my bed, when I'm not here, due to him jumping off and injuring his leg. He does sleep up on my bed, when I'm home though and he would never destroy anything on it or soil it. He knows to let me know if he's gotta get off to go potty. He just hasn't quite figured out the importance of doing that if he has to throw up too. But apparently Oz has that covered, so no worries. :)

Par...

Edited to add this about Maddie: The last year of her life she didn't have as good of bladder control. So when she had to go, she had to go. She slept on my bed. Well a couple of times, before I realized I should make her go potty first thing in the morning, before I took my bath, she had accidents on the bed, while I was in the tub and couldn't hear her asking to go out. She was so considerate though, that she'd climb up on the top of my comforter pile and pee there, so the pee never actually made it to the matress. Don't know how she figured this out, especially being blind, but somehow she did. Guess she didn't want her bed soiled anymore then I did.

tikeyas_mom
08-30-2004, 09:30 PM
a cow print pillow bed

wolf_Q
08-30-2004, 09:53 PM
I went through many different things in Nebo's crate ( a big pillow, blankets, etc.) but he always shredded them so I just gave up.

Then a few weeks ago I went to Costco and they had nice dog blankets (quite thick, wool texture on one side) for only about $6 so I bought him one. He has two crates, one in my room (not used...its actually filled with shoes lol) and one in the basement. He occasionally stays in the basement one, but not often. I put the blanket in there. He left it alone for quite a while but then decided to chew it up a bit. I took it out so I could fix it so now it's back to the plastic tray!

anna_66
08-30-2004, 10:01 PM
The crates we have for the girls are in the car. I've put rugs and such in there, but all they seem to do is push them out of the way, guess they like laying on nothing. So nothing is my answer!

LorraineO
08-31-2004, 09:04 AM
Lucy has a double thick foam matteress and we sewed a cover for it,, a light brown furry type material,,, she likes her crate just fine,, usually only uses it for sleeping at night or the very rare occasion when we have to leave her at home for an hour or so... Only other thing in her crate is a nyla bone,, liver flavoured,, and she loves it,,,,,

cloverfdx
08-31-2004, 09:37 AM
Clover and Elvis both have crate mats, not that they use thier crates unless we are going away to a Flyball comp. They also have an Ex pen that they both can go into when they want, i have just put a new blanket in there and so far it has not been chewed up. :)

Kfamr
08-31-2004, 10:54 AM
I thought i'd add for anyone who's had trouble with your dogs being bad in their crate, but on some soft classical music for them.

It may not work for all, but it surely worked for Kiara.
At first she would whine and whine, and dig at her blankets and bowls. With the classical music on, she just fell quickly to sleep.
Now she's fine, even without the music.

pitc9
08-31-2004, 11:11 AM
:rolleyes: Ugh... Sierra... Sierra... Sierra..

My little princess:rolleyes: will destroy anything I put in her crate in the summer time when it's warm out. (their crates are down the basement where it's cool all day long)
But come winter, I put blankets in their crates and she leaves them alone for the most part! Once in a while she gets crazy and will pull Buddy's blanket into her crate!!

Their crates are right next to each other, and when she's feeling like being a goofball, she'll manage to get her teeth on his blanket and pull it out of his crate into hers! I don't know how long it takes her, but she gets the blanket through one little section of their crates!
I'll leave for work, and they both have a blanket, and when I get home... Sierra has two and Buddy has nothing!

It's pretty funny!
They are only in crates when we are not home (I can't afford to replace anymore couches, pillows, blanets, phones, shoes, ....etc.etc....) And yes, when I try to leave them out, I leave them with a million toys, treats... the radio or tv on.... you name it. All they want to sink their teeth into are things that they are not supposed to!

lovemyshiba
08-31-2004, 12:30 PM
We do actually leave classical music on in the bedroom (where the crates are). As soon as I turn it on, Abbey runs up and gets into her crate--I don't know if she likes the music, or if she is that good:)

We've left the video camera on them several times in there as well, unfortunately never when any major destruction or peeing went on:rolleyes: They are all usually asleep within 20 minutes.

Angie--the thing about the blanket reminded me of something funny. Kito and Abbey used to have an ex pen set up in the laundry room of our old apartment. In there, they had toys, water dish, and this neon orange fleece blankie. One time, we set up the video camera, and Kito fell asleep on the blankie. Once he was asleep, Abbey grabbed a corner of the blankie, moved him around a bit, and then proceeded to turn him around completely, in a full circle--you would have to see it, I suppose, but it was hilarious to watch!! Kito didn't even wake up!!

dappledoxie
08-31-2004, 01:22 PM
Right now Rebel is the only one crated, I really need to try with Claire again. She has got to learn to hold her pee!! lol Anywho, Rebel gets towels. They are small, easy to clean, and soft. I give him alot so he can burrow like doxies like to do. lol He also gets a water bowl, and a treat when he goes in. I don't give him food b/c he never eats it, once at the apartment, ants came in to get at his food, so neeeever again. lol

guster girl
08-31-2004, 08:12 PM
Finn has a little bed (he's way too big for it, but, he still likes to lay on it) and a queen sized flannel sheet. I am going to get him a bed that fits the entire crate, but, they're not cheap! He also always has his kong, his tire biter and his rope bone. And, of course, his water bottle! :)

Pam
08-31-2004, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by lovemyshiba
One time, we set up the video camera, and Kito fell asleep on the blankie. Once he was asleep, Abbey grabbed a corner of the blankie, moved him around a bit, and then proceeded to turn him around completely, in a full circle--you would have to see it, I suppose, but it was hilarious to watch!! Kito didn't even wake up!!

LOL! You should send that in to Animal Planet! What a riot!! Abby sounds like quite a character! I love the pictures you post occasionally of the odd places she sleeps! Dogs - ya gotta love 'em!! :D

We don't use crates any more. Bella never chewed anything in her crate that I can remember. I think she mostly was bored and fell asleep. Ripley was crated for about a week until I was sure he was potty trained and not destructive. He didn't like being crated at all and cried. Not knowing his past, I imagine maybe he had never been crated before and it upset him. One time I came home and noticed he had a tiny cut on his nose. I have no idea how he did managed to do that inside a crate. :confused:

manda99
08-31-2004, 10:04 PM
Smokey has 2 old comforters and his special blankie.

And probably about half a dozen socks that I'll find the next time I fluff or wash his blankets...

CathyBogart
09-01-2004, 01:47 AM
Star and Wilbur each have a soft bed (though Star sometimes has towels instead because she DROOLS in the crate and the bed needs washing frequently.) and we try to keep one or two toys in there always, though they love to take them out and hide them. :)

pitc9
09-01-2004, 08:05 AM
Originally posted by Pam
One time I came home and noticed he had a tiny cut on his nose. I have no idea how he did managed to do that inside a crate. :confused:

Sierra once broke part of her tooth off trying to get out of her crate!! Buddy has broken the entire front panel of his crate off, it's held on right now with zip ties!:rolleyes:
They do crazy things when they are in their crates.

Linda York
09-01-2004, 04:42 PM
:) my boys sleep in their crate at night. They have a foam egg crate covered with sheepskin, and three blankets, one for each little guy (for covering up with and cuddling). They love their crate. Sometimes I will find them in there during the day just hangin' out. I guess if they need sometime alone that's where they go. It's like their bedroom. :D
Outside their crate they have a big dog bed big enough for all three of them to get in comfortably, but they prefer to all squeeze into the old tiny one that was used when they were babies. :eek: