PDA

View Full Version : Feline Diabetes

Chris
07-04-2000, 10:10 AM
My cat Romeo (a 7 year old Persian cross)was recently diagnosed with diabetes. Has anyone gone through this with their cat(s)? If so, what were you experiences. Any advice for both my Romeo and his human companions?

Donna Hogan
07-07-2000, 07:38 AM
One of our cats, Stripes, was recently diagnosed with diabetes. I found through searching the web that there are a number of websites created by owners of cats who have this same condition. You may want to just do a broad search for feline diabetes, I think you find lots of search results.

It seems to me that the best way to ensure your cat's continued health is to always give the shots at the proper times - to be very careful about that; to maintain close contact with the vet while you work on getting your cat's blood sugar levels evened out; to keep a close eye on your cats state whenever you return from an absence of several hours; and to closely watch your cat's weight, if it goes down suddenly then the insulin levels will definitely need to be adjusted.

It can be an inconvenience sometimes when you have to race home to give her the shot and then race back over to whatever you were doing. And a few times we have come home from work to find that Stripes was experiencing low blood sugar (hypoglycemia). Our vet has explained that cats tolerate high blood sugar (diabetes or hyperglycemia) much better than they tolerate hypoglycemia. When you see your cat looking disoriented or shaking you should immediately try to raise their blood sugar levels. Depending on the severity of their condition this means either feeding them regular food right away -if they're still in a condition where they can eat normally - or to rub corn syrup on their gums.

We've been working through this for several months now (there's also the additional complication that Stripes also has asthma and takes medication for that which makes her blood sugar levels fluctuate) and feel we still have several months more of careful monitoring in order to get her blood sugar levels more regulated. It is a bit of a long haul - it takes lots of time and with all the vet visits it also takes a bit of cash. But, our baby is worth it.

Good luck.

Donna

Chris
07-07-2000, 07:45 AM
Hi Donna.
Thanks very much for sharing your experiences. The vet has suggested we start with a pill treatment. It is a human drug that is very new on the market--about a month. Plus we will be giving him special food to help him gain weight. If the pill form doesn't help to regulate his blood sugar levels, we will then have to move to the insulin shots. We have two other cats (Romeo is the middle cat) so it will be a little difficult having to make alterations in diet, etc. But one thing I've learned about cats is their ability to adapt. It really feels like one of those life-changing events, but I guess it's a matter of adjusting our routines and those of our three cats. Thanks again, and I wish Stripes and your family the best of luck as well.

casmeow
07-10-2000, 08:46 PM
Hi Chris - I found this time in our lives w/pets was the most emotionally trying. You're so lucky they now have pills. When my beloved Emerald(Emmy)had diabetes, he did very well w/the insulin shots.He did much better than I did!My husband would give him his shot every day unless he was out of town - then I had to do it. There were many times I'd cry - only because I was so nervous about doing it to him - & called the vet whenever the insulin would come out the other side & I wouldn't be sure he got enough & then afraid he'd get too much. But he was THE BEST about it - the hardest part other than me & the shot, was getting his levels regulated - they were never quite right, but not off enough to really affect him. It was worth every second of distress for me to keep him with us. He was diagnosed at approx age 12 and lived to be 17. Everything Donna said was right - especially about the timing. It's essential that the food and medication always be given on time. I remember like it was yesterday - he passed in 1992 and even w/4 cats now, he'll always be missed and loved. The best of luck to both of you - & be sure your vet can always be accessible - if he/she can't be then SWITCH.You owe it to your baby & yourself. CASMEOW
Originally posted by Chris:
Hi Donna.
Thanks very much for sharing your experiences. The vet has suggested we start with a pill treatment. It is a human drug that is very new on the market--about a month. Plus we will be giving him special food to help him gain weight. If the pill form doesn't help to regulate his blood sugar levels, we will then have to move to the insulin shots. We have two other cats (Romeo is the middle cat) so it will be a little difficult having to make alterations in diet, etc. But one thing I've learned about cats is their ability to adapt. It really feels like one of those life-changing events, but I guess it's a matter of adjusting our routines and those of our three cats. Thanks again, and I wish Stripes and your family the best of luck as well.

Deb
07-11-2000, 07:41 PM
Our cat Skipper was diagnosed with diabetes over a year ago. At the time, he had lost a good deal of weight and his hind leg muscles were quite atrophied (he was getting to the point where he could hardly climb stairs). At the time, although we were relieved to have his condition diagnosed, it was extremely overwhelming. I get really freaked out by needles, so the thought of giving my cat an insulin shot terrified me. I didn't sleep at all the night before his first injection, and I think my hands were shaking the whole time I was giving it to him. I hope your cat is able to stay on pills -- that sounds a lot simpler. But regardless, we all got used to it (and so has the cat). Today, he has gained back all his weight, his strength has totally returned, and although the process of fine-tuning the doasage is on-going, he is otherwise quite healthy. My advice to you is to familiarise your friends and family with your cat's health needs -- in our case, that meant training several people on giving injections. The more people that can take responsibility for your cat when you need the night off, etc., the better. Good luck! (it DOES get easier).

Chris
07-12-2000, 07:13 AM
Deb.
Thank you so much for your encouraging words. It is wonderful to hear how you, your family and your cat have adapted to the diabetes. I love all my cats dearly and would do anything for them. If I have to do the needles, I will find the strength to do it. From what I've read the needles are fairly slim and teflon coated for easy insertion. I hope this is the case. Best of luck on your continued success in managing the disease.

karenzca
07-12-2000, 11:17 AM
Chris:

I also have a diabetic cat. The best place I can direct you is to felinediabetes.com - we're a whole community of diabetic cat parents. there's a lot of information available, help, and support.

Another good site is sugarcats.com

If you have any other specific questions, please email me directly at [email protected]. My Zelda has been diabetic for a year, I home test, and she's on 3 units of Blue Ridge PZI once daily...

Best to you!

Karen

------------------