PDA

View Full Version : Dear Hurricane Frances.... GO AWAY!

Kfamr
08-30-2004, 04:26 PM
Yep, they say Florida might be hit again, but on the other coast. I've heard that this could be the strongest storm to hit America... if it does hit us.

Frances could be another Charley and come all the way across to the other coast and get us this time!

Kiara, my dad, and I will be Ohio this weekend when it is expected to hit. My mom, Simba, and Nala will all be at home. There's NO way i'm leaving them at home if it's expected to come here. I'll sleep on the hotel floor if I have to give up my bed to my mom.

You'd think with all of this damage and loss of lives hurricanes cause they'd find some way to prevent them.. Sometimes mother nature just blows! Literally.

Please think of us in FL and in the Carolinas in hopes it doesn't effect any of us. :(

DogLover9501
08-30-2004, 04:30 PM
I'll be thinking of you guys :(

DJFyrewolf36
08-30-2004, 04:34 PM
Praying that Frances stays far far far away!

Toller 42
08-30-2004, 04:48 PM
I hope it doesn't hit you guys! We'll have our paws and fingers crossed over here for you:(

swimma253
08-30-2004, 05:52 PM
Oh Dear!!! Ill be thinking of you guys!!!

BTW- You wanna know what really gets me... is that hurricanes get NAMES!!! I know they only do it to keep track of them... but they are so awful... they dont deserve names!!! :rolleyes:

Kfamr
08-30-2004, 06:10 PM
They deserve to be named DEMON, and Damian, and evil names! Although i'm thinking Frances is a pretty evil name right now as it's the name of an aunt whole stole a good amount of money from me. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the good thoughts guys.

anna_66
08-30-2004, 08:18 PM
I heard that one was forming again. I sure it doesn't hit.

ComedyDevil
08-30-2004, 08:31 PM
:eek: I sure hope it doesn't hit you guys! Prayers coming your way.

they dont deserve names!!!

I thought this too. Evil things ...

Dogz
08-30-2004, 09:30 PM
Wow, how scary. My thoughts are with you, Kay, and the rest of the Floridians, furries and non-furries. :(

BitsyNaceyDog
08-30-2004, 10:47 PM
I can't even begin to tell you how scared and stressed I am over Frances. I really don't know if I can do this again. Last night I was up a lot during the night, I kept having nightmares and waking up. I had one nightmare a couple days after Charley hit and Justin had to wake me up because I was kicking and sweating a lot. He striped me down to my underwear and put me back to bed. Then last night I had the same dream, I was frantically trying to get all of my animals out of the house with no time to spare. (which is what actually happened the day Charley hit). Every time I started to fall asleep last night I was back there. Today I have been so stressed about Frances. But I am better prepared this time.

This sucks, we're not even cleaned up from Charley, which was less than 3 weeks ago. GO AWAY FRANCES, LEAVE US ALONE. I just want my life to return to normal.

Kfamr
08-31-2004, 04:35 PM
I really do not want to leave my mom and the dogs here.

WHY can't they create something to demolish these stupid storms?!?

:( :( :( :( :( :(

CamCamPup33
08-31-2004, 04:45 PM
http://www.hurricaneadvisories.com/trackmap2002big.gif

Map located here : Hurricane Advisories.Com (www.hurricaneadvisories.com)

That's it's intended path. We all know weather forcaster's can be totally wrong. Especially since i looked at it yesterday and it wasn't even supposed to be "Intended" to hit anywhere near FL. It's suddenly changed. :( :(

Mil0Luv3r
08-31-2004, 04:49 PM
My grandmother and grandfather are in Geogira fixing up they're land they bought this year! And we don't have a very good house! I mean we had black mold in our roof in one of the rooms! And my grandmother and grandfather live in Okechobee in a trailer so they are going to come to our house then we are going to our office which is cement.. Last time Hurricane Charlie came we went up to our office of course it didn't even rain a drop where we were! We even bring our pets with us! It's a 2 story office... It's a VERY VERY nice office its WAAAAYYYY better than our house!
And guess what?!? Charlie is my cousins and my grandfathers name! Then Frances is my great grandmothers name! good thing we have a BIG office! Because were going to have:
Baby(grandmothers and grandfathers Hot Dog Dog)
Lady(mine and my familys Lab)
Mama'Kitty(my brothers cat)
Milo(my kitten)
Maybe my uncle's dog

The for people:
My mother
MY father
My brother
My grandmother
My grandfather
Maybe my Aunt
Maybe my Uncle
Maybe my little cousin

popcornbird
08-31-2004, 04:53 PM
Is it possible to take your mom and dogs with you? :( These hurricanes are SO scary. :( I hope everyone will stay safe.

As to why they can't make something to demolish storms, its exactly the same reason why we can't make the sun rise from the west instead of the east, or why we can't move the clouds in the direction we want them to go, or why we can't prevent earthquakes, etc. We're just little human beings....not God. These things are not in our hands and never will be. We weren't created with that power. Storms are scary and dangerous, for sure, but as human beings, we have no control over them.

Either way, stay safe, and if your area is under risk, don't leave your mom, Simba, and Nala behind. Hope all goes well.

Kfamr
08-31-2004, 04:58 PM
Actually, years ago they used to drop dry ice into a storm to demolish it slightly.

We can make it rain as well.
We can do alot of stuff but there's more important things to do such as ruin marriages for gay couples.
:rolleyes: (No, those aren't towards you, it's towards how STUPID today's society is)

I cannot make my mom come with us. It's her choice to.

Mil0Luv3r
08-31-2004, 05:38 PM
Ummm... Are you trying to say that we should stop the Gay marriages? Because well ummm my Aunt is gay....

Kfamr
08-31-2004, 05:45 PM
Absolutely not.
I was saying, today's society has more 'important' things to do like try to ruin people's lives, Sarcastically saying when I say important, Rather than trying to stop something that kills people and animals and destroys our land.

I'm 100% for Gay Marriages and Homosexual relationships.

That is not what this thread is about anyways.

sammy101
08-31-2004, 05:56 PM
Dear Hurrican Frances,

Even though i dont live near where your heading,PLEASE go somewhere else besides Flordia,or just go away!
thank you

Sam

Prayers for all you Flordians.:) :(

popcornbird
08-31-2004, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by Kfamr
Actually, years ago they used to drop dry ice into a storm to demolish it slightly.

We can make it rain as well.
We can do alot of stuff but there's more important things to do such as ruin marriages for gay couples.
:rolleyes: (No, those aren't towards you, it's towards how STUPID today's society is)

I cannot make my mom come with us. It's her choice to.

:confused: Huh??? :confused:

Kfamr
08-31-2004, 06:15 PM
What exactly are you confused about?

Cincy'sMom
08-31-2004, 06:30 PM
It looks like this storm is headed more toward my dad and Delidog. If I am understanding the hurricane advisory page there is a 15% chance it will hit Ft Pierce, which is about 1/2 between them, By Friday. My dad is planning on flying home Thursay night, so I really hope if it is going tohit, he gets out first.

Prayers for all the Floridians!

Kfamr
08-31-2004, 06:32 PM
Who knows though.. it could "pull a Charlie"...

Has anyone talked to DeliDog lately.. i haven't seen much of her since the last hurricane. :confused: :eek:

BitsyNaceyDog
08-31-2004, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by Cincy'sMom
It looks like this storm is headed more toward my dad and Delidog. If I am understanding the hurricane advisory page there is a 15% chance it will hit Ft Pierce, which is about 1/2 between them, By Friday. My dad is planning on flying home Thursay night, so I really hope if it is going tohit, he gets out first.

Prayers for all the Floridians!

If I remember correctly, you dad is in Melbourne, right? I am just 40 miles inland from Melbourne.

During Charley we had NO warning, it turned toward us last minute. That day I left work at 1:00 and headed home. Justin went to the store to get a few items and didn't get home until 2. Then we went over to the house I was house sitting to check on it and their cats. We got back home at 3 and started loading up the animals in their crates. We got the cats in their crates as it started to rain. The TV then told us of tornados spotted in my area. Justin said we don't have time to get everyone and get out, we'll have to stay. I let the cats out of their crates. Then Justin changed his mind and said we have to try to get out and he called my dad to come over to help. We got the cats back in their crates, which was not easy as they were all so stressed out. I then went and loaded the birds into their crates and the chins, wyatt, and the bunny. It was not easy and my cockatoo was giving me such a hard time. I then ran into the bathroom and grabbed a few clothes out of the laundry basket (later realized that I only grabbed pajamas :rolleyes:). My dad and sister came and helped us transport them all to my work where they would be safe. By now it was 4:30 and I was one very stressed person. We got everyone in and settled. The only one who came with me was Buster, everyone else was at my work, except the reptiles which we had no choice but to leave at home. We got to Justins parents house at 5:30. It was raining pretty good and then at 7:30 Charley was here. Probably the worst part was I had to wait all night to go and see if all my babies were alright. The stress was unbearable.
It took me almost 2 weeks to get things "back to normal". There is still yard debris and garbage on the side of the roads and buildings that need to be repaired there is even still 1 traffic light in town that isn't working.
I am going to get things packed and animals moved early this time, wether it hits us or not. I will be prepared.

4 Dog Mother
08-31-2004, 10:30 PM
I talked to Carl tonight and he said it is headed right for Melbourne. He should get out okay, Thank God! But he is packing up stuff and putting it in his walk-in closet in hopes that if windows break, etc, it will be more protected. He has also taken some things to leave at work because he feels that building is a little safer than his apartment. Here's hoping that a miracle happens and that somehow Frances doesn't come in land! Right now I can only say that I am glad our move is delayed. I really wouldn't want to think about evacuating and not knowing if we could find a place to stay that would let us keep the dogs with us. I think it would be terrible to have to go to a shelter and have to leave your dogs behind! I am just not sure I could or would do it!

Kfamr
08-31-2004, 10:47 PM
Oh, you don't know HOW much I hate not having shelters that allow dogs. You'd think with so many people having animals these days that they'd allow them.

I do remember my mom telling me about a hotel that had purchased bags and bags of different pet food and had a bunch of crates set up in the lobby for people who had pets.

They need to have atleast a few shelters that allow animals. Or atleast a classrooms in schools that allow animals.

lovemyshiba
08-31-2004, 11:00 PM
What if you did show up to one of the shelters with your dogs? Would they ask you to leave?
Would they tell you that you could come in, and to leave the dog outside?

I'm not being sarcastic, I'm really wondering these things.

That is terrible that they don't allow pets in the shelters:(

Kfamr
08-31-2004, 11:08 PM
I'm not sure as I've never even been to a shelter. There's absolutely no way I'd leave them though. They always say on the news that if you need to evacuate and go to a shelter, to let your pets free.

I'd rather be with them than worry about what's happening to them.

lovemyshiba
08-31-2004, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by Kfamr
I'm not sure as I've never even been to a shelter. There's absolutely no way I'd leave them though. They always say on the news that if you need to evacuate and go to a shelter, to let your pets free.

I'd rather be with them than worry about what's happening to them.

:( :(
Let them free?????

I guess we should be thankful for the advance warnings they are able to give.

4 Dog Mother
09-01-2004, 08:25 AM
Carl said they were announcing on the news that if you took your pets to a shelter that does not allow pets that the pets would have to stay in your car. You can imagine how that would be with the heat etc. There are a few shelters that allow pets but Carl says that they are already full. My sister has a friend whose home was destroyed in Hurricane Charley. They left their dog in the house adn he did "blow" away but they did find him. They are living in a camper in their driveway as everything is gone but their cars and swimming pool. I am not sure where they were - it sounded like they went to a shelter and were not there when the hurricane hit.

BitsyNaceyDog
09-01-2004, 08:33 AM
Here is the projected path as of 8 am this morning
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v244/kblaix/furbabies/hurricane_frances.gif

4 Dog Mother
09-01-2004, 08:40 AM
By the way, I have heard from Delidog. She is busy packing things up so as not to be destroyed and planning to live in a closet over teh weekend. They are not leaving their home - they would not leave their pets by themselves.

Cincy'sMom
09-01-2004, 09:05 AM
I remember watching the natioanl news after Charley hit, and they were interviewing people who refused to leave their homes becuase they could not take their pets with them. I have to say, I believe I would do the same. To many I'm sure it seems silly to put your own life in danger to stay with your pets, but they would do the same for us.

Praying for a miracle, that Francis, changes paths and heads far away from land! Everyone stay as safe as possible. We are thinking of you!

dukedogsmom
09-01-2004, 11:34 AM
I know I wouldn't leave Duke. Now, they're saying it's coming right for us. I can't take this stress. We didn't have any damage. I really feel sorry for the people that did have damage and now have to go through it again. Keep your fingers crossed. I have to work tomorrow and the next but thank goodness I'm off the weekend. I also feel bad for all our officers because they haven't had a day off since Charley came through. Been working their regular shifts and then on the days that were supposed to be their day off, been working at the command center and in areas where needed. Pray it goes a different route. But that's bad, too because it means harm to other people.

Mil0Luv3r
09-01-2004, 11:36 AM
Lots of sites say different paths....
Here are a few from http://www.weaterchannel.com
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/ThePetLover3000/spec.jpg
This one has it in the corner:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/ThePetLover3000/cornerfrances.jpg

And here is just something else that I found:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/ThePetLover3000/animated.jpg

Mil0Luv3r
09-01-2004, 11:41 AM
And uhhh the WeatherChannel that I watch said that it will be probaly come any time this week maybe even on Friday and I belive they said Thursday probaly even.... So if you have any work you might want to try to get out of it if you live down here in Florida...

dukedogsmom
09-01-2004, 11:52 AM
I can't get out of it. I'm considered emergency personnel also. It sucks!!

BitsyNaceyDog
09-01-2004, 11:53 AM
I just heard on the news that if it continues to move at it's current speed it will take 24 hours to move across Florida. It only took Charley 3 hours to move across the state. Frances is being compared to Andrew.

I can't take this stress, my head hurts so badly.

dappledoxie
09-01-2004, 12:33 PM
I really hope it doesn't hit, pwease go away Frances....

Logan
09-01-2004, 12:59 PM
Friends in Florida, we have an open door and plenty of beds and room for pets in the upstate of SC, out of harm's way. Please don't forget that!!!! The "hotel" is open for anyone who needs it. Might get a little crowded with pets, but Scott and I are more than happy to welcome any of you if you need to come to a safe place. We might get wind and rain, but we are far enough off of the coast (4 hours) that it could be a safe haven for you and your pets.

Logan

Harmanie
09-01-2004, 04:57 PM
I know!!! The last time that I checked, they said that it was a catagory 5!!!!:eek:
My mum said that it would hit the coast of florida and most likely move its way up to the Rhode Island borders right near us so we could get hit as well!!!:eek:
NO GOOD!!! prayers are out to everyone!!!!!
{{{hugs 2}}}

Pam
09-01-2004, 05:14 PM
Her last post was 8/16/04 and I am wondering how she fared after Charley. I don't remember hearing anything from her. Anyone know? :confused:

I am a dingbat. Just scrolled through this thread and found out that for now she is OK. Whew!

Kfamr
09-01-2004, 05:17 PM
Pam...

Originally posted by 4 Dog Mother
By the way, I have heard from Delidog. She is busy packing things up so as not to be destroyed and planning to live in a closet over teh weekend. They are not leaving their home - they would not leave their pets by themselves.

Chica
09-01-2004, 07:22 PM
Hi, Chica will be thinking of you!!!

BitsyNaceyDog
09-01-2004, 07:56 PM
We just moved our birds to my work. Tomorrow we will take the chins, Wyatt, bunny, mice, and 2 cats (roxy and Scampers). Friday morning we will take everyone else- the other 5 cats, the 6 snakes, the 3 tortoises, and 2 of the dogs. The iguana and the other 2 dogs are going to Justin's parents house with us. Justin convinced his parents to let us have 2 dogs with us this time, so Bitsy and Buster are coming with us.

I am so STRESSED :mad:

Kfamr
09-01-2004, 08:00 PM
I'm stressed to and they say it's not even going to get us.

I'm evensaying I don't want to go to Ohio. My mom refuses to go with us and both of my parents are just blaming a bunch of crap on me.

tatsxxx11
09-01-2004, 08:08 PM
My Dad is in the target zone too. My step mother just called to say that she's busy packing up important papers, personal items etc and getting ready to head out for her daughter's. My Dad who has leukemia, just came home from having surgery today:( My prayers are with all of those in harm's way. Please, find safe refuge!

Kfamr
09-01-2004, 10:36 PM
The news guy here is making me feel a bit more at ease. He's saying we wouldn't be getting a bad part of the storm and how other news channels say it's coming this way.
He's basically saying how that's just a load of crap. :p

Corinna
09-01-2004, 10:45 PM
Always an open door here if any one needs it. If you can stand the chill right now. Praying for all southern Pet talkers.

lizzielou742
09-02-2004, 09:27 AM
I've been thinking about you Florida PTers all morning. What's the latest news?

CamCamPup33
09-02-2004, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by lizzielou742
I've been thinking about you Florida PTers all morning. What's the latest news?

I don't know about kay, but it's coming here. They showed if it didn't "Shift" it would be coming straight my way.. :(

dukedogsmom
09-02-2004, 11:45 AM
Mine too. It's going to come right over our county. I really want to leave. I have very bad vibes about this one. I won't be able to leave until after work tomorrow night. Trying to convince parents we all need to leave. It looks very bad.

Cinder & Smoke
09-02-2004, 12:07 PM
Hre's the National Weather Service
PROJECTED Storm Path - updated late this morning >>>

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/ftp/graphics/AT06/refresh/AL0604W+GIF/021453W.gif

Latest official information at >>>

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/index.shtml? (http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/index.shtml?)

Be Safe!

momoffuzzyfaces
09-02-2004, 12:09 PM
:(
Prayers on the way for all of you in harm's way!
I wouldn't be able to leave my pets either. I'd be the first one knocking on Logan's door!

lizzielou742
09-02-2004, 12:24 PM
Looks like it's going to take a whole day to move across the state!! :eek: That will surely cause a lot of damage. I hope the evacuations are going smoothly and everyone that needs to gets out in time. CamCam & Dukedogsmom, please be careful!!!

CamCamPup33
09-02-2004, 12:28 PM
They said there's going to be 12-15 hour's of hurricane wind's, if they are in the path of the storm. (It's moving at 15 MPH)

We might be going down to homestead, which is an hour away from me, where my grandma lives.

Val -- Im PMing you. :p

lovemyshiba
09-02-2004, 12:35 PM
PLEASE, all of you, stay safe.

As soon as you can, be in touch with someone, so we all know you're ok.

:(

momoffuzzyfaces
09-02-2004, 12:37 PM
Gosh, I think I'd rather have tornadoes. They hit fast and move on. At least they don't torture you for days!!!

Stay safe everyone! Prayers will continue!

MULTICATMOM
09-02-2004, 12:39 PM
I FEEL YA, I'VE BEEN PRAYING FOR 3 DAYS, FOR A U-TURN!! AS YOU'RE HEADED NORTH, I HEAD SOUTH...MOBILE, AL. MY AUNT HAS SURGERY-HAVE TO GO. I'M FROM THERE, GREW UP WITH HURRICANES-EVACUATIONS...I'LL BE BEHIND BOTH YOUR OPINIONS!!
FRANCES GO AWAY!!!!
LIVE AND LET LIVE!!

REMIND PEOPLE THE BIBLE SAYS "JUDGE NOT LEST YOU BE JUDGED"

CamCamPup33
09-02-2004, 12:41 PM
Thank's everyone.

They've already called for a "State of emergency" here and have opened up many shelter's.

145 MPH wind's. :eek: :(

catland
09-02-2004, 12:51 PM
Be careful everyone and stay safe. We're thinking of you.

Make sure your pets are locked up and/or have ID on them in case you get separated from them.:eek:

gini
09-02-2004, 12:52 PM
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/ftp/graphics/AT06/refresh/AL0604W5+GIF/020903W5.gif

This is the latest projection of Frances path.

Prayers for everyone and their babies that all will be safe.

Logan
09-02-2004, 01:34 PM
The Bagley hotel is still open! SERIOUSLY!!!! We have 5 bedrooms, plus two couches and lots of places to pack people. I PM'd with Nicole (Delidog) this morning and I think she is headed our way, but was looking for pet friendly hotels. I have not heard back from her, although I encouraged her to come stay with us. The more the merrier. We're in the big outline that Gini posted, but we are not in the direct path of the hurricane. Greenville, for those of you who don't know, is in the NW corner of SC.

If you need anything, do not hesitate to send me a PM or email me.

Logan

Logan
09-02-2004, 01:49 PM
Cross posting info from another site:

The predictions for an active hurricane season seem to be coming true
as yet another powerful hurricane named Frances is headed towards the
East Coast of Florida were we are located. With memories of Hurricane
Charley still very fresh in our minds and recovery and pet relief efforts
are still challenging the devastated areas of the west Coast of Florida
from the aftermath of Hurricane Charley only 2 weeks ago, it is only
hard for us to imagine what a second major hurricane would do if it
struck now on the east coast of Florida. Hurricane Frances is not projected
to hit land until sometime this weekend, ...so if you are in a target
zone, DO NOT wait until the last minute to evacuate !

Pets & Animals in Distress has put the below following Hurricane
Preparedness Guide below to all pet owners that could be in the direct path
of Hurricane Frances. Please follow the below tips in case of immediate
evacuation of you and your pets in those targeted regions.

The separation or loss of a pet can have a profound impact on a family!
We should make every effort to insure our pets are safe and with us. A
written disaster plan, particularly in households with pets can lessen
a disaster's impact and save lives!

Advanced planning is essential and could save your pet(s) life and the
best recommended plan is to take your pet with you when and if you have
to evacuate. REMEMBER- Public Shelters Do Not Allow Pets!

All facilities in a disaster area may be subject to some degree of
damage or flooding. If you are thinking of boarding your pet, consider the
difficulties of providing a healthy environment without electricity,
running water, plus limited supplies and personnel!

To all Florida residents, please take these Hurricane precautions and
evacuation warnings very seriously as we have seen the destruction first
hand in the aftermath of Hurricane Charley. Please say a prayer for
all of us and the animals that may be harms way in another impending
powerful Hurricane that is now heading directly our way to hit the south
Florida east coast.

We ourselves now are the ones directly in the path and in harms way of
this major Hurricane in Palm Beach county, Florida, watching and
monitoring Frances hourly approach very closely getting prepared to evacuate
ourselves and animals. Please keep us and all the animals in your
prayers! God Bless.

Sincerely,

Brenda Beck, President

A Public Service Hurricane Bulletin from Pets & Animals in Distress

Hurricane Frances Preparedness For You and Your Pet

Sites that will keep you updated with the latest Hurricane information:

http://en.groundspring.org/EmailNow/pub.php?module=URLTracker&cmd=track&j=7256927&u=59809

http://en.groundspring.org/EmailNow/pub.php?module=URLTracker&cmd=track&j=7256927&u=59810

http://en.groundspring.org/EmailNow/pub.php?module=URLTracker&cmd=track&j=7256927&u=59811

Hurricane winds do a lot of damage, but drowning is the greatest cause
of hurricane deaths. As the storm approaches and moves across the
coastline, it brings huge waves and storm tides which may reach 25 feet or
more above normal. The rise may come rapidly, flooding coastal lowlands.
Waves and currents erode beaches and barrier islands, undermine
waterfront structures, and wash out highway and railroad beds. The torrential
rains that accompany the hurricane produce sudden flooding as the storm
moves inland. As its winds diminish, rainfall floods constitute the
hurricane's greatest threat.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PROTECT YOUR PET

Evacuate out of the area of the storm! Visit friends or relatives who
will let your pets come with you. Create a list of boarding kennels
within a 100 mile radius of your home. If you don't have friends or
relatives to evacuate to, call these pet friendly hotels and make a
reservation.

Best Western Inns 1-800-528-1234

Clarion Hotels 1-800-252-7466

Comfort Inns 1-800-228-5150

Days Inn 1-800-329-7466

Econo Lodge 1-800-553-2666

Holiday Inn 1-800-465-4329

Howard Johnson 1-800-465-4329

La Quinta Inn 1-800-531-5900

Masters Econo Inns 1-800-633-3434

Motel 6 1-800-466-8356

Quality Inn 1-800-228-5151

Ramada Inn 1-800-228-2828

Red Roof Inn 1-800-843-7663

Residence Inn 1-800-331-3131

Roadway Inn 1-800-228-2000

Sleep Hotels 1-800-753-3746

Super 8 Motels 1-800-800-8000

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EMERGENCY PREPAREDNESS FOR PETS

EQUIPMENT CHECKLIST

SKY KENNEL/CRATE

LEASH, COLLAR, ID TAG, HARNESS

FOOD AND WATER BOWLS

HEALTH RECORDS (RABIES CERTIFICATE)

PHOTO OF PET

NEWSPAPER (DOG);

LITTER BOX/LITTER (CAT)

3 BATH TOWELS

GARBAGE BAGS

WATER (DOG: 1 GAL/10 POUNDS; CAT: GAL)

DRY FOOD (1-2 POUNDS OF FOOD /10 POUNDS)

MEDICATIONS

PETS AND HURRICANES

Why Pet Owners Must Plan

Public shelters for people will not accept pets.

If you wait until the last minute to evacuate, you may have no choice
but to go to a public shelter.

If such a situation should force you to leave pets behind, please
prepare your children and other family members for the fact that their pets
may not survive or may be irretrievably lost before you are able or
permitted to return to your home.

There is no way to know how long it will be before you are permitted
back after the storm. Frightened animals quickly slip out open doors,
broken windows or other damaged areas of your home opened by the storm.

Lost pets are likely to die from exposure, starvation, predators,
contaminated food and water and on the road where they can endanger others.

Even normally friendly animals of different species should not be
allowed together unattended since the stress of the storm may cause distinct
behavior changes.

REMEMBER: If you must evacuate . . . then conditions are not only
unsafe for you but unsafe for other living creatures as well!!!

Develop Your Written Plan Now

A written DISASTER PLAN will help you and your pets survive.

Identify your evacuation area and level to determine if and when you
would have to evacuate.

If you are located in a storm surge flood plain, the decision to
evacuate will depend on the category of the storm.
Always prepare for one category higher than the one being forecast. A
hurricane often increases in strength just before making landfall.

Your goal should be to evacuate to a safe location.

Friends or relatives in a safe area are your best choice.

If they are unable to house both you and your pets, arrange shelter for
your pets at a veterinarian or kennel close to your evacuation location
so that you will be able to have as much contact with them as possible.
You and your pets will fare better if you are together.

If you plan to go to a motel, determine in advance whether pets are
welcome and what, if any, special rules are applicable.

Make plans well in advance of the hurricane season for cows, horses,
sheep, etc.

Additional preparedness guidelines may be obtained from Town of
Hempstead Animal Control , or the Nassau County Chapter of the Red Cross.

If You Must Evacuate Leave Early !

An unnecessary trip is far better than waiting too long to leave
safely!

All animals should have secure carriers or collapsible cages for large
dogs, as well as collars, leashes, rabies tags and owner ID tags.

Carriers should be large enough for the animals to stand comfortably
and turn around. ID must be on the carrier.

Train your pets to become familiar with their carriers ahead of time.
Then the carrier will be a secure and comforting refuge if the animal is
required to live in it for days-even weeks-after the storm.

Before hurricane season begins on June 1 of each year, make sure all
your pets have current immunizations and take these records with you if
you must evacuate. Photograph each of your pets prior to June 1 every
year and include these pictures with your pets' immunization records.

Your pet survival kit should include ample food (at least 2 weeks
supply), water/food bowls, medications, specific care instructions,
newspapers and plastic trash bags for handling waste, cat litter, brushes,
combs and other hygiene items, toys and other comfort items, muzzles if
necessary.

A manual can opener is a necessity.

All belongings should be marked with identification.

If you are not evacuating your pets to a commercial animal facility,
you should also include first aid supplies for your pets in the survival
kit.

Ask your vet for an emergency care pamphlet for animals.

If you plan to shelter your pets at a kennel or clinic, call before
evacuating to determine if space is available. Some kennels will accept
reservations early with prepaid fees.

Allow sufficient time to travel from the kennel to your evacuation
location after making certain that your animals are secure.

If you have snakes or other exotic pets, contact local pet stores or
zoological gardens, in a safe area, for assistance in sheltering your
pet.

Again, be prepared to supply appropriate housing for the pet (not
glass) and other supplies necessary to sustain the pet for at least 2 weeks.

The facility you choose should be operated by knowledgeable, capable
staff and the location should be high, dry and of sturdy construction.

Throughout the evacuation and the storm, your pets will need
reassurance from you. Remain calm, keep as close to their normal routine as
possible and speak to them regularly in a calm, reassuring voice.

If you must evacuate without time to prepare your pet, Animal Control
will house your pet. This space is limited and should be ONLY a last
resort.

If You Can Stay At Home

It is just as important to adequately plan for your pets even if you
don't have to evacuate.

Carriers, collars with proper ID and leashes should be maintained for
your pets at all times. Your pets will be most comfortable and secure in
their carriers in a safe area of your home until the storm has passed.

If they are not secured during the storm and your house is damaged,
your pets may escape and become disoriented, since normal landmarks and
scent trails could be obliterated.

If your pets become lost, proper ID will ensure their return to you.

Place your pet food and medications in watertight containers in a cool,
dry, dark place. Store adequate water for your pet.

Your water source may become contaminated. (To purify water, add 2
drops of household bleach per quart of water, mix, seal tightly, let stand
for 30 minutes before drinking.)

If you bring plants into the home before a storm, be careful not to
allow pets access to them since many ornamental plants are poisonous

After The Storm

Walk your pets on a leash until they become reoriented to their home.

CAUTION: Downed power lines and other debris pose real dangers to you
and your pets.

Do not allow pets to consume food or water which may have become
contaminated.

Be particularly careful in using candles or oil lamps around pets.
Never leave them unattended.

When you know you have done everything you can do to protect all
members of the family, disaster preparedness will give you tremendous peace
of mind.

Pets & Animals in Distress

1511 east Commercial Blvd
PMB #129
Fort Lauderdale, Florida 33334
United States

Cincy'sMom
09-02-2004, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by Logan
The Bagley hotel is still open! SERIOUSLY!!!! We have 5 bedrooms, plus two couches and lots of places to pack people. I PM'd with Nicole (Delidog) this morning and I think she is headed our way, but was looking for pet friendly hotels. I have not heard back from her, although I encouraged her to come stay with us. The more the merrier. We're in the big outline that Gini posted, but we are not in the direct path of the hurricane. Greenville, for those of you who don't know, is in the NW corner of SC.

If you need anything, do not hesitate to send me a PM or email me.

Logan

I'm glad to hear that she did PM you...she Pm'ed me this morning and it sounded like they were seriously considering changing plans and getting out. Please let us know if you hear from her.

popcornbird
09-02-2004, 03:37 PM
Stay safe everyone. :( Logan, that is so kind of you to offer your home to people in danger.

My Peanuts
09-02-2004, 03:51 PM
Kay, I've been thinking about you all day. I even looked up where your town is on a map. I hope everything is ok. It seems you are in the best place you could be.

MULTICATMOM
09-02-2004, 04:00 PM
AND YOU GAVE ME AN IDEA! PLEASE, IF YOU CAN GET THERE, I'LL BE IN MOBILE, AL. I'LL GET A PET FRIENDLY ROOM:D I'M LEAVING MY PETS HERE! I WAS GOING TO GET A ROOM ANYWAY, WHEELCHAIR ISSUES... PLEASE PM ME!!! I'D LOVE TO MEET YOU & YOUR PETS!!! I'LL BE HERE(TN)UNTIL TOMORROW:D

gini
09-02-2004, 05:50 PM
I just heard on the local news that Frances is the size of Texas and it may be the largest storm ever recorded in history.

God help all of those in Frances path.................

Kfamr
09-02-2004, 06:07 PM
Val, I just PM'ed you.
If you check this first, please check your PM's. My mom said you, your parents, and Duke may come over here if you need to.

Harmanie
09-02-2004, 06:32 PM
I'm praying for all of you southern people!!! {{{hugs}}} and lots of them! Be careful, if you think that you should leave then take all the safety percautions that you can! Stay safe! I'm praying!

4 Dog Mother
09-02-2004, 10:23 PM
I just got back from the airport and have my husband back home safe and sound! I am so glad he had already planned on coming home this weekend anyway. He has no idea what he will go back to or when he will go back but the next few days will surely be interesting. (his ticket is for Tuesday but of course that depends on what happens this weekend). I am so glad he is out of harm's way and will be praying for all those who wouldn't be leaving!

Cincy'sMom
09-02-2004, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by 4 Dog Mother
I just got back from the airport and have my husband back home safe and sound! I am so glad he had already planned on coming home this weekend anyway. He has no idea what he will go back to or when he will go back but the next few days will surely be interesting. (his ticket is for Tuesday but of course that depends on what happens this weekend). I am so glad he is out of harm's way and will be praying for all those who wouldn't be leaving!

You guys didn't make the news...they were just interviewing people on 24 people coming in to Toledo from Florida. Oh well :)

4 Dog Mother
09-02-2004, 10:29 PM
Well, phooey, I missed my turn at stardom! We didn't see any reporters at the airport! I'm sure we would have been the ones picked if they had seen us first - lol!

Pam
09-03-2004, 06:55 AM
4 Dog Mother I am so happy your hubby is home!! As I watched the coverage this morning, showing all of the evaculations and the size of this storm, I am so grateful that we live in an age where we can predict when these monsters are coming. I was just saying to hubby last night how horrible it must have been in the past to be taken by surprise by a hurricane. I have only lived through one biggie that I can remember that hit the mid-Atlantic states. It was Hazel back in the 50's and I was a very young child, but I have memories of being so afraid. I will be thinking of everyone in Florida and the surrounding areas constantly and wish you all safety and a minimum amount of damage. My nerves are on edge right along with yours. :(

Cincy'sMom
09-03-2004, 07:28 AM
The news said the storm has weakened over night. They aren't expected it to stay that way, but pwas and fingers crossed they are wrong and ti continues to weaken!

trayi52
09-03-2004, 08:00 AM
Sending prayers nad good thoughts to all in Florida. Please stay safe and get out of there if you need too.

Willie

Buddy Blaze Lover
09-03-2004, 09:13 AM
I've heard that Hurricane Frances is expected to be one of the worst ever! :( Praying that you guys and all those in Florida stay safe!!!

Mil0Luv3r
09-03-2004, 10:34 AM
Not only one of you will be getting the storm... So really there is no need to say "It's heading my way" because its going to hit all of Florida... When it comes on Land though us on the side will first get hit... If you are all the way up Florida really right now your not getting anything but some winds but down here we are getting strong winds... We all won't get the same damange... If you don't get hit by the path where it's going but EVERYONE will get damange... And if the dike in Okechobee breaks there is going to be an even worser flood... My grandmother and grandfather live in Okechobee but they are staying with us....

dukedogsmom
09-03-2004, 10:41 AM
I'm getting sick to my stomach just thinking about it. If it follows the path predicted, the eye will go right over us. If I hadn't had to work yesterday and today, I wouldn't even be in the state.

CamCamPup33
09-03-2004, 10:50 AM
Mil0luv3r- Actually it is coming right towards me, (The eye) Well the eye is supposed to hit West palm beach, but it's also supposed to be more than 30 mile's wide! So it may just hit me. If the eye doesn't hit there, it could hit directly where i am, or somewhere CLOSE to me.

:( Ahh, i hate this.

cloverfdx
09-03-2004, 10:58 AM
Prayers on the way for everyone in Florida. :(

I just saw on the news and it was not good. :( Try to stay safe and check in when you can.

{{Hugs}}

Mil0Luv3r
09-03-2004, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by CamCamPup33
Mil0luv3r- Actually it is coming right towards me, (The eye) Well the eye is supposed to hit West palm beach, but it's also supposed to be more than 30 mile's wide! So it may just hit me. If the eye doesn't hit there, it could hit directly where i am, or somewhere CLOSE to me.

:( Ahh, i hate this.

The eye is getting bigger... The eye won't only just hit you there is other towns/citys that it will hit. And the worse parts will be hitting nearly all over Florida! Tallahasse is in luck.. They will only get scraps.

Mil0Luv3r
09-03-2004, 11:38 AM
Here are some videos from Hurricane Charlie:
http://www.extremestorms.com/hurricane_charley.htm follow that link...
On the first one the roof flies off the building then building falls apart.. It's best to watch tem if you have speakers. Then you can here the wind and stuff...

So add it up... Hurricane Charlie did all that damange even though I thought and my family thought that it wasn't going to but it did... So picture it... Hurricane Frances is even bigger.... you add it up.... If you don't get the point I'm trying to make here it is:

If Hurricane Charlie did all that damange think about how much Hurricane Frances will do! Instead of just a roof and some building it will take the WHOLE building down! Instead of just the sign picture it will be the WHOLE sign! Instead of just a bush it will be a HUGE WHOLE tree!

Samantha Puppy
09-03-2004, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by Mil0Luv3r
The eye is getting bigger... The eye won't only just hit you there is other towns/citys that it will hit. And the worse parts will be hitting nearly all over Florida! Tallahasse is in luck.. They will only get scraps. I don't think CamCamPup33 is naive enough to think that a hurricane could or would only hit HER. She's just saying her town is in its direct path... yes, along with other towns and cities.

Good luck to all of those in this storm's potential track.

lizzielou742
09-03-2004, 11:50 AM
Frances is only moving a 9 mph now, I read. I feel like it's taking forever! I know it's a good thing, because it gives people more time to evacuate, but it's nerve-racking. I'm not saying I wish it would hurry up, but it's driving me crazy waiting.

CamCamPup33
09-03-2004, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by Samantha Puppy
I don't think CamCamPup33 is naive enough to think that a hurricane could or would only hit HER. She's just saying her town is in its direct path... yes, along with other towns and cities.

Good luck to all of those in this storm's potential track.

Exactly. I know the storm is BIG and that it will most likely hit other places too, but im just saying the eye, (the middle of the eye) is supposed to DIRECTLY hit me, and im sure hit other's too.

Cincy'sMom
09-04-2004, 02:23 AM
The storm is down to a Cat 2. I know it is moving slow and has plenty of time to intensify again, but seeing any news that is weaker gives me hope. It sounds like it is placking tons of rain and thunderstorms, but if those winds stay a litter calmer, it can only help.

Still keeping all the Floridians in our thoughts!

Kfamr
09-05-2004, 09:23 PM
Hey all, I'm still in Ohio and have been checking in with my mom almost constantly. She said she's just been sleeping it away.
It's right over them right now and all they've got is a bit of rain and wind. She did say though that near my brothers there were two trees completey knoecked over so he wouldnt be able to get out if hee needed. He's in a flood zone too.

I haven't been able to lok around much to see if Val has posted anything but my mom ahs kept in touch with her and she says that there wre only a few branches down near her.

slleipnir
09-05-2004, 09:28 PM
Good to hear Kay, thanks for letting us know :)

dukedogsmom
09-05-2004, 09:41 PM
Here I am. It's raining and blowing like crazy here but I think the worst of it is gone now. We haven't hardly had any rain but I'm afraid it will be raining most of the night. I'm so glad I've got one more day off before I have to get back to work. Let's hope that nasty Ivan peters out into nothing. Otherwise, we get that Wednesday :(

Cincy'sMom
09-05-2004, 09:51 PM
Good to see you posting Val!

Still keeping the prayers up til we hear from all the Floridians...and that Ivan peters out