PDA

View Full Version : Smelly Cat

Herkimer
12-01-2001, 12:25 AM
A new friend of mine recommended I visit this site with my little cat issue. I am new to your group, but I would appreciate any advise or assistance you can provide. My little bugger, Herman P. Kitty, is the smelliest cat I have ever encountered. Ever since we've had him, he's been gassing us out of rooms. We got him summer of 2000 as a little tiny kitten from the pound. The first time he went to the bathroom, we knew we had a problem. We asked our vet, but he had no advice except to try a different food. We did and super-stinker was still around. Please help! I want to stop buying baking soda by the case.

Lola G. Herkimer.

4 feline house
12-01-2001, 08:06 AM
So, do his poops smell, or does the kitty smell?

[ December 01, 2001: Message edited by: Leah S ]

Pam
12-01-2001, 08:55 AM
My standard poodle, Whitney, (now at the Rainbow Bridge) had a "gassy" problem when we first got her and it was a little embarrassing at times, especially if company was over! :o It seems that the food the breeder had been giving her was the culprit and we, of course, had continued on with it not realizing that. Our vet also recommended a change in diet and told us to try Eukanuba. For Whitney, that was the end of the problem. I would suggest that if your vet can't find anything medically wrong with Herman (and I certainly hope it's not a medical problem) you may have to keep switching to another food until you find one that does the trick. Good luck!

wayne0214
12-01-2001, 09:07 AM
Objectionable odors from an undersized cat may be part and parcel of such a pet. I too have an extra small cat, ("Littlefawn", 5 mos. old and weighs only 2 1/2 lbs.) that gives off objectionable odors at times. However he is a very affectionate kitten and easily petted and handled. Yet, the only problem I have had with him is his inability to learn as fast as the other cats.

........wayne

Kirsten
12-01-2001, 10:29 AM
I would recommend to have his stool checked for e.coli, these bacteria can cause this smelly problem.
My Luna had an antibiotic treatment this year because she had too much e-coli bacteria in her stool, and since that treatment her stool isn't smelling so bad anymore, and also the little "gas problem" has disappeared. :)

Kirsten

yorkster
12-01-2001, 02:59 PM
Yes, Kirsten gives good advice about checking for e-coli and such. The vet should probably check for any other 'intestinal' type bug(s) too.
Also about the food: there are LOTS of foods out there, many for different things. I would go to a really good petstore where they know what they are talking about and ask them. Also most of the pet shelters would maybe know. There is also food you can get at most vet offices that is prescription only, and it might be worth a try.

Oh, and
didn't Phoebe sing about her SMELLY CAT on Friends?

AmberLee
12-01-2001, 03:16 PM
My kittens had a gas problem when I first got them that was apparently due to intestinal worms. Your vet will probably check for that, too, anyway. Hope the problem clears up soon.

Herkimer
12-02-2001, 12:43 PM
Thank you so much for all the advice. It's both the cat and his poop that are smelly. I think he likes the smell and purposely fumes himself with it. I will take him to a different vet. Second opinion and all.

I know the Pheobe song, but she claims it's what I am feeding him. He smell no matter what he eats.

cr7clark
12-04-2001, 06:57 AM
Once in a while, Miss Bo will have "essence of cat box" hanging around her, so I check her behind, and sometimes I will find and clean off bits of solid waste that have clung to her fur. This usually clears up the disagreeable odor.
Does Herman eat people food? How about dog food? A friend's cat had to be restricted from eating the dog's food because it gave the cat a really bad case of gas all of the time. If Herman goes outdoors, perhaps he is eating the food that well-meaning neighbors leave out, or that the occasional mouse gives him the stinks. Just guessing, cats are secretive by nature and it's hard to know for sure what they are eating unless they are strictly monitored.

Herkimer
12-04-2001, 12:54 PM
Herman does eat people food occasionally. He loves turkey breast. Suprisingly enough, he smells better when he eats turkey or chicken breast. I don't think it will give him all the nutrition he needs, so I don't just feed it to him all the time. He is a strictly indoor cat (scared of birds and all) so I know he's not getting mice or food. Sometimes he actually plays in his box and then it's bath time, but no waste on his rear.

yorkster
12-04-2001, 11:49 PM
A cat breeder and vet both told me to try baby BEEF food- it's suposed to be good nutritionally and the 'gas' won't be so bad.