PDA

View Full Version : Tummy lump

anna
06-27-2000, 11:06 PM
I have a very sick kitten. Most of the problems we've worked through, and he's becoming active again. The only worrisome thing is a definite bulge on his left side. It makes him look one-sided. The vet sad it may be a hernia! Has anyone ever had to deal with this or have any ideas what else it might be?

BoBcAt31487
06-28-2000, 07:56 AM
I'm very very sorry to hear bout your cat, i love cats and I hope your kitten gets healty again, please post an up date. This info is just something I pulled off the computer. You would have to fined out what type of hernia it is to find out what to do these are just some types of hernias. GOOD LUCK!?!

Hernia, the protrusion of an organ or part of an organ or other structure through the wall of the cavity that normally contains it. Hernias (incorrectly called ruptures) are qualified by the name of the part that protrudes or the area through which protrusion occurs. Thus, an inguinal hernia, perhaps the most common form, is one that passes through the abdominal wall in the groin area. A diaphragmatic or hiatus hernia is one in which part of the stomach or a loop of the intestine herniates upward through an opening in the diaphragm into the chest cavity. An umbilical hernia is one in which the bowel or the membranous apron overlying it, known as the omentum, protrudes through the abdominal wall under the skin at the navel.
Hernias often develop in an area of weakness following unusual stress or strain. An inguinal hernia, for example, may follow the abrupt lifting of a heavy object or a severe bout of coughing. Inguinal hernias are more likely to occur in men than in women because the spermatic cord passes through the abdominal wall in the inguinal region, leaving a site of natural weakness prone to hernia formation.
An inguinal hernia usually causes no distress, but hernias within the abdominal cavity can cause intense pain. Many hernias will slide back, or reduce, either spontaneously or when mild pressure is exerted on them. A reducible hernia is often held in place with an external support called a truss. Incarcerated (trapped) or strangulated hernias are often painful and must be treated with surgery because the blood supply to the organ trapped within the hernia can be interrupted, leading to gangrene within the hernial sac. Surgical repair involves reinforcing the site of the hernia with a sheet of synthetic mesh or with sutures.

anna
06-28-2000, 11:14 PM
Thanks for all the information, Bobcat. I assume this is similar for cats. I guess I should just hope it's nothing more serious. I adopted two kittens from a neighbor - we're new in town, and one of our cats disappeared. The little male had obviously suffered some trauma. His tail has three crooks in it, and he walks with a strange swagger. Last week he completed stopped walking, just crawled around on his belly, even eating and going to the litter box lying down. He never complained, but he was obviously very sick. With antibiotics and spoon feeding and lots of loving, he started getting better and today is streaking around the house with his sister like nothing happened - except for that little bulge. The vet thought it might be a virus, hopefully not one of the serious diseases. Thanks again for caring.

BoBcAt31487
06-29-2000, 07:03 AM
Anna you most really love cats. Same here, I had a cat, Googlie-bear, when i moved my dad put him on my grandma's farm, of course he tryied to get home. He got there but was hurt pretty badly, he most have gotten in a fight, he couldn't really fight back w/ no front claws. He almost lost one eye and had little spots of blood on him. But since i wasn't living up there at the time i couldn't really help. But with loving care from my dad's ex-girlfriend he tured out fine and can almost see out of that eye again, And I'm very greatful that she did that, and I can't wait to see him again.

CatGirl
06-30-2000, 08:25 AM
Hi Anna:

My cat (female) also had a lump on her tummy. It was an inch or two in diameter and ended up being a benign tumor. I guess they are pretty common and tend to develop in fatty tissues. Since she developed this when she was an older cat (she was eight or so) I decided not to have it removed and it never bothered her or developed into anything serious (though it did get a little larger -- it was pea sized when it began). Your vet can easily take a bit of fluid and test to see if the cells are worrisome. I'd recommend it, just to make sure. Good luck to you and your furry friend!!

anna
06-30-2000, 12:25 PM
Thanks. I will get it checked out. Funny thing, now that's he fattening up a little and feeling good, it's not so noticeable. It sure doesn't seem to bother him!!

lexie
12-04-2002, 05:49 PM
this has nothing to do with your problem,but i hpoe everything goes well...anyway. i have a problem and i wanted to know if you could help? i am getting a dane puppy and she is in OHIO. someone e-mailed me telling me you live in Ohio. i cannot travel to get the pup. i was wondering if you or someone you know could transport the pup to Indianapolis,Indiana ? please if you can help.

if anybody eles who might be able to help please e-mail me!:(