PDA

View Full Version : Canadian Eskimo dogs..

Glacier
08-30-2004, 12:23 AM
I got to meet some Canadian Eskimo dogs this weekend. This breed is very close to extinction--less than 300 purebreds left. there is a lady near us who is involved in trying to bring them back & change their reputation as savage beasts!
These dogs are gentle giants with people, but she does have to be careful about them scrapping with each other.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v38/Glacier1998/Dogs/stujenni.jpg
Hubby meeting Jenni

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v38/Glacier1998/Dogs/jenni.jpg
Jenni posing

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v38/Glacier1998/Dogs/stusolo.jpg
Hubby meeting Solo. Solo is only five months old and already the size of a full grown Siberian Husky.

They are beautiful dogs and it was quite special to get to meet such a rare breed.

captain
08-30-2004, 12:28 AM
They are gorgeous.

I wish her every success. It looks like a beautiful breed!

Toller 42
08-30-2004, 12:33 AM
Those are beautiful dogs! I met a greenland dog today:)

DogLover9501
08-30-2004, 12:39 AM
:eek: Wow, they're gorgeous!!

I also wish the lady luck!

RobiLee
08-30-2004, 04:33 AM
Beautiful! I'm so glad you got to meet them. That means we got to meet them also ;)

I did not know about Canadian Eskimo dog and that there were so few left. Thanks for introducing me to them.

Robin :)

pitc9
08-30-2004, 07:37 AM
WOW!!
They are big! They almost have the body of a Mal!

anna_66
08-30-2004, 08:06 AM
But Wow! What gorgeous dogs! You guys are so lucky you got to meet Jenni & Solo:D

I wish her all the luck in the world trying to bring them back and change their reputation!

LorraineO
08-30-2004, 08:10 AM
Very nice looking dogs,,,, what happened to them to make them so rare? Are the not domesticated or are they predominatly wild? how big to dthey get????

KYS
08-30-2004, 08:30 AM
thankyou for sharing pics of them.
Very beautifull dogs.

kingrattus
08-30-2004, 09:32 AM
I live in Canada & I've never heard of canadian Eskimo Dogs.
I've heard of Eskimo Dogs, but I thought thoses where thoses cute little white dogs.

heh, learn something new everyday :)

Glacier
08-30-2004, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by LorraineO
Very nice looking dogs,,,, what happened to them to make them so rare? Are the not domesticated or are they predominatly wild? how big to dthey get????

They are domesticated, but considered to be a "primitive" breed by the Canadian Kennel Club. In the early 70's there was a guy who tried to bring them back and had great success at first. Then he kinda went nuts and there is some awful film of the dogs fighting so much that they killed each other. Many people remember that and nothing else about the breed.

They became rare mainly through crossbreeding and the importing of other breeds to the far North.

LorraineO
08-30-2004, 10:39 AM
Very interesting Glacier,,, thank you for the info,, boy,, and I am a Canuck and never heard of the breed either... like kingrattus

cali
08-30-2004, 11:13 AM
I've heard of Eskimo Dogs, but I thought thoses where thoses cute little white dogs.

lol that would be an "American Eskimo dog" ;)

I have heard of Canadian Eskimo dogs, but never met one before :p they are very pretty!

cloverfdx
08-30-2004, 11:39 AM
Wow they are beutiful looking dogs. That would have been great to have met them.

I also wish the lady luck in bringing this breed back from extinction.

Thankyou for sharing them with us.