PDA

View Full Version : A Question About Declawing Cats

scairdycat
04-06-2001, 10:36 AM
I have to be honest -- I'm almost afraid to ask the my question. I only have a computer at work and don't have time to read a lot of the postings/topics but one thing I've learned is that a lot of you (maybe even all) are against declawing. My question (and please don't let me anger anyone by asking) is why? Maybe I am naive but it seems to me that if a person would not normally adopt a cat for fear of the damage they would do to their furnishings (especially if they're rented) or for fear of the harm that could come to themselves or their children, that declawing is the answer that would put these fears aside. My cats are declawed and they are wonderful and loving cats. Declawing didn't change their personalities or make them more aggressive. When company comes over and they are apprehensive around my cats, I assure them that they are declawed and that puts them (my company) at ease. Anyway, please don't crucify me for asking but I would like to become more educated on this topic because obviously, I am missing something important.

Maresche
04-06-2001, 10:43 AM
scairdycat, most people, including myself, are against declawing because it is basically cutting off your cats toes at the first knuckle. The equivalent in humans would be to cut off your fingers at the first knuckle just below your fingernails.

Some people are lucky and don't have any problems with their cats afterwards and some people do.

My biggest beef against it is that it often isn't necessary. With a little time and work with your cat they can be taught to use a scratching post or you can apply those plastic claw caps I've seen (I call them Lee Press-On Claws for Cats).

I've had declawed cats in the past and one currently, but this is something I would never do to a cat again.

I hope this helps explain the general feeling of anti-declaw here.

Karen
04-06-2001, 11:25 AM
Another objection some people have is that if the cat gets outside, he has no way - or very limited options - to defend himslef against predators. And just about every "inside-only" cat I know has made the grand escape at least once, so that makes it extra-scary.

wolflady
04-06-2001, 12:10 PM
Hi Scairdycat, and welcome. Believe me, this can be a pretty hot topic, but Maresche and Karen are right. My family has had declawed cats in the past(they came that way to us), and all of them were great! My husband, on the other hand, got a cat (before we were married) and had it declawed and he has developed behavioral problems as a result. I didn't know this before all these problems occurred, but the surgury is actually very painful for a cat and the pain can last for years. Being the kind of animals they are, they often don't show it (aside from developing a problem later on in some cases, like in our Scooter). Cats walk on their toes, so by removing their "toes", it forces them to walk on their heels which is both awkward and painful to some. Try training your cat to scratch on a post or another location that is ok. This can take some time and patience. If training doesn't work to curb the problem of clawing in unwanted places, Maresche mentioned the claw caps as an alternative. They are called Soft Paws nail caps (www.softpaws.com) and I use them on my cat, Marius. They work great! I can't promote these things enough as an alternative!! http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/biggrin.gif Maybe I should be a spokes person for Soft Paws. LOL http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/biggrin.gif
Both of my cats are indoors only, but I like to think if Marius got out somehow, he would at least still have his nails for defense even though they are blunted by the nail caps. This is definitely a better alternative than surgery and much less painful. After looking into what's involved in the surgery of declawing and its side effects, I have decided to never ever have a cat declawed. I'm thankful for these nail caps. We mainly put them on my cat, because my husband's cat is a little disadvantaged since he's declawed, and they can get rowdy when they play together. My husband feels bad about his cat, but neither he nor I knew what it actually entailed at the time until I did some research.

Ben E Gas
04-06-2001, 12:36 PM
I agree w/ the others. If your cat ever escaped, he'd be doomed. Unable to defend himself or catch necessary food. I thought it was cruel to declaw cats before, But now even more so. I didn't realize that it involved that much pain or actually changing the way a cat walks. I'd just trim the claws every few months if they really bother you. If he really hates when you cut them, try sneaking up on him when he's sleeping and cutting one a day. Becareful though, if he flinches, DON'T cut. Wait till he isn't moving and then cut. Have your vet show you.

Logan
04-06-2001, 07:50 PM
I think you are brave for asking too. And I'm glad you did. We obviously all have our reasons for not declawing, and there are two reasons I don't. First, I have indoor/outdoor cats and it wouldn't be fair for them to be unable to defend themselves. Second, I could not put them through the pain of the removal. I've had an ingrown toenail removed before. I know how much that hurt. I'd never do that to my kitties. Just couldn't.

Pam
04-06-2001, 08:02 PM
Scairdycat...I am probably the only other person on this board with declawed cats. I have admitted that I came from a background of only ever having dogs and everyone in my immediate circle who had cats had them declawed. It was just assumed...they get neutered....they get declawed. Not until becoming acquainted with the people who post here did I know any better.

At any rate, I think it is safe to say that everyone here loves their cats and wants what is best for them. My cats also are not at all aggressive and do not seem to be any the worse for having it done. You are providing a loving home for your cats and that is so much more than countless thousands of cats have. Please don't feel too badly. I just had to post this so that you don't feel so alone on this issue.

By the way, my cats show no desire to go outside. They actually seems afraid of what's out there. They love looking at the world from the safety of the inside window ledge!

[This message has been edited by Pam (edited April 06, 2001).]

Ben E Gas
04-09-2001, 02:38 PM
Well, by no means do I mean to sound rude with this post. But I think the reason your cats don't go outside is because the know they can't really defend themselves properly. Also, I have a question, I never knew that they actually remove the toes of the cat. Is this true? Pam, did they do that to your cats? What do their paws look like now? I am truely against it but here is what a vet had to say that might make you feel better.
I actually talked with the vet about stuff like that. In talking about neutering, He said they really don't know. He refered to a dog he just treated that had a leg removed. He said the dog, really doesn't know that he is one leg short. He knows he has an injury and that he has to compensate for his loss. But the dog doesn't think of it as we would, if we were to lose a limb. That was just his theory. But hope this makes you feel better.

wolflady
04-09-2001, 03:14 PM
FYI on declawing:

THE DECLAWING OPERATION
The standard declawing procedure calls for the removal of the claw, the cells at the base responsible for the growth, and part or all of the terminal bone of the toe. The operation is usually penformed on the front feet. It is actually an amputation comparable to the removal of the fingers of the human hand at the last knuckle. The cat experiences considerable pain in the recovery and healing process.

THE RISKS
MEDICAL: In addition to the need for general anesthesia, which always presents a certain degree of risk to the patient's health and life, infection and blood loss are possible surgical complications of declawing. An incorrectly positioned cut can removed too much of the toe, taking with it part or all of the toe's pad. But if the whole claw is not removed, misshapen claws can grow back, requiring additional surgery. If a cat's nail is brittle or the trimmer is dull, the bone may shatter and cause what is called a sequestrum, which serves as a focus for infection, causing continous drainage from the toe. This necessitates a second anesthesia and surgery. Abnormal growth of servered nerve ends can also occur, causing long-term, painful sensations in the toes. Great care must be taken after surgery that bandages wrapped tightly to control bleeding do not cut off circulation.

wolflady
04-09-2001, 03:26 PM
I think I was posting the same time as you Spencer! I agree with you though, anyone here with declawed cats (me included ya know-my husband's cat is declawed),it is certainly better off than homeless cats and most cats dumped in the city pound. Plus, I know everyone here loves their cats dearly. A lot of people don't realize what's involved. I know I didn't until I looked into it after my husband's experience. Here is the article that introduced me to the softpaws idea in the first place:

DECLAWING: A VETERINARIAN'S VIEW
by Dr. Christianne Schelling

If you are considering declawing your cat, please read this. It will only take a moment, and it will give you valuable information to help you in your decision.

First, you should know that declawing is pretty much an American thing, it's something people do for their own convenience without realizing what actually happens to their beloved cat. In England declawing is termed "inhumane" and "unnecessary mutilation." I agree. In many European countries it is illegal. I applaud their attitude.

Before you make the decision to declaw your cat, there are some important facts you should know. Declawing is not like a manicure. It is serious surgery. Your cat's claw is not a toenail. It is actually closely adhered to the bone. So closely adhered that to remove the claw, the last bone of your the cat's claw has to be removed. Declawing is actually an amputation of the last joint of your cat's "toes". When you envision that, it becomes clear why declawing is not a humane act. It is a painful surgery, with a painful recovery period. And remember that during the time of recuperation from the surgery your cat would still have to use its feet to walk, jump, and scratch in its litter box regardless of the pain it is experiencing. Wheelchairs and bedpans are not an option for a cat.

No cat lover would doubt that cats--whose senses are much keener than ours--suffer pain. They may, however, hide it better. Not only are they proud, they instinctively know that they are at risk when in a weakened position, and by nature will attempt to hide it. But make no mistake. This is not a surgery to be taken lightly.

Your cat's body is perfectly designed to give it the grace, agility and beauty that is unique to felines. Its claws are an important part of this design. Amputating the important part of their anatomy that contains the claws drastically alters the conformation of their feet. The cat is also deprived of its primary means of defense, leaving it prey to predators if it ever escapes to the outdoors.

I have also had people tell me that their cat's personality changed after being declawed. Although, the medical community does not recognize this as potential side effect.

Okay, so now you realize that declawing is too drastic a solution, but you're still concerned about keeping your household furnishings intact. Is there an acceptable solution? Happily, the answer is yes. A big, joyful, humane YES! Actually there are several. The following website "Cat Scratching Solutions" Provides many solutions as well as and insight into the psychology of why cat's scratch. You can teach your cat to use a scratching post (sisal posts are by far the best). You can trim the front claws. You can also employ aversion methods. One of the best solutions I've found is Soft Paws®(www.softpaws.com).

Soft Paws are lightweight vinyl nail caps that you glue on the cat's front claws. They're great for households with small children and are extremely useful for people who are away from home all day and can't exercise the watchfulness necessary to train a cat to use a scratching post. Soft Paws® are easy to apply and last about four to six weeks. They come in clear or colors--which are really fun. Now that's a kitty manicure! The colored caps look spiffy on Tabby or Tom and have the added advantage of being more visible when one finally comes off. Then you simply replace it.

You need to remember, though, that the caps and nail trimming should only be used on indoor cats who will not be vunerable to the dangers of the outdoors.

One final thought on declawing. As an ethical concept it is deeply disturbing. The whole idea that one species should alter the bodies of another simply for convenience is not consistent with the love we feel for our feline pets.

On the other hand, I strongly urge you to have your pets spayed or neutered. Not only is it important to curb the overpoplutaion problem, it also provides many long term health benefits.

For a list of countries in which declawing is either illegal, or considered extremely inhumane and only performed only under extreme circumstances, or for medical reasons, CLICK HERE.

Ben E Gas
04-09-2001, 03:28 PM
Spence,

you wrote: ".....Nail clipping, while not required every 1-2 weeks, must be done before they claw into it's paw......"

what do you mean by that?'must be done before they claw into it's paw?' I'm not to sure what that means.

Ben E Gas
04-09-2001, 06:41 PM
oh, I see. Ingrown. I didn't know that could happen to a cat.

Pam
04-09-2001, 06:57 PM
Ben.....To tell you the truth I don't think my cats even realize their claws are missing. They "sharpen" their "claws" all the time on lots of things. They both had it done at the same time as their neutering and they were just little kittens not even 6 months old so they have lived most of their lives without claws. In all honesty, I really feel they have quite a good quality of life. They live with a human who totally dotes on their every need! http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif Of course, like I said before, I didn't know any better. As far as being afraid of the outside....that may have something to do with our insistence that they stay away from any opened door since we knew they were only going to be inside cats and were afraid for them to go out. It could be that they have been "trained" to back away from an open door. They sniff through the screens and that seems to satisfy their outside interests. http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif

Troy
04-09-2001, 08:49 PM
Scairdycat,

fear of the harm that could come to themselves or their children

I think that in regard to this concern it is also important to realise the harm a child could do to a defenceless cat. Once a child is old enough they should be taught to respect the animals feelings and not to treat them like rag-dolls. I am certainly not suggesting that the animals welfare is more important than the child's, nor am I suggesting that your cat(s) are mistreated by children, but a mutual respect must be taught in order to minimise any harm to either party.

I have two cats which are over 7 years old. Neither of them has ever intentionally hurt a human - however a 4 year old child once decided to drag one of them around the house like a toy. Unfortunately there was some accidentally scratching and both of them learnt a lesson. The child learnt not to drag cats around and the cat learnt to be a bit more weary of "little humans".

Anyway, I wish you the best of luck with your cats and family http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif

Catluvr
04-10-2001, 08:30 AM
Scairdycat I would ONLY declaw if you can promise that your kitty will stay in the house at all times! Because without any claws kitty cannot run up a tree or something to defend himself! So just to be nice to kitty I think it is best if you dont declaw if this cat will go outside again! But than on the other hand it is nice to have when your kitty lives inside!

Logan
04-10-2001, 09:28 AM
Spencer, I just read your reply about Butter not being a good candidate for a nail clipping....I see I have given you a very good understanding of Butter's personality!! I actually couldn't clip either of their nails, Mimi or Butter, neither one of them handle being in my lap very well, especially when they don't make the decision, and certainly not for something like that!

This is off the subject a bit, but sometimes I think I don't paint the prettiest picture of Mimi and Butter. They are truly fun, beautiful animals, who happen to hate each other, but love Helen and me. They are just atypical of some of the cats who enjoy having their bellies rubbed, tolerate a bath, etc. If I have the urge the scratch someone's belly, I'd better go find my dogs, who love it! http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/biggrin.gif

4 feline house
04-10-2001, 12:21 PM
First of all, Ben, I would assume that when your vet told you that most cats don't "know" they've been neutered, he was probably speaking to most human men's fears of castration that they so often transfer to their pets. Your cat does not "know" that he will no longer have a sex drive, that was probably what he was referring to. By the same token, your cat probably does not "know" he ever had a spermatic cord, either. But I would think a cat's toes are a way different matter, as they use them everyday to walk, manipulate items, and defend themselves. I can't help but think they "know" something is amiss then. Of course, this is something that can only be speculated on our parts; none of us knows truly how a cat thinks are what they are aware of.

My first cat, Zebo, now at the rainbow bridge, was declawed. He was a large, powerful cat when he was young, and I lived in rental housing and had a baby beginning to crawl. Zebo never had a vicious bone in his body; in fact, he was quite the wuss. But he still could inflict nasty wounds by not even trying. I decided to get him declawed. I knew nothing about the procedure, and did not receive anything from my vet until AFTER I picked Zebo up. I cried for three days when I read his toes had been amputated. I cried as I tried to help him use his letter box. I also cried each time I had to take him back to the vet in the ensuing years for abcesses he would get when the neighborhood cats attacked him and he was defenseless (yes, I tried to keep him inside, but since he was already an inside/outside cat, he was constantly escaping).

Of course, this is a very personal choice, and I think most people would agree amputation still is better than euthanasia, but I think most peoples' concerns on this board is that there are still too many people like me, who are not fully educated on the procedure, its risks, and alternatives before deciding to declaw. If I had it to do all over again, I would just put my furniture in storage and put armor on my baby, but leave Zebo's toes alone!

annibale16
04-10-2001, 02:43 PM
As you all know, I just adopted Maddie, a 5 year old persian. She was declawed. I had no idea what declawed meant other than that they didn't have their nails. It sounds like a horrible procedure. But, Maddie seems fine and she uses her front paws all the time.
But, she is strictly an indoor cat! What happens to these poor cats that are sent to the pound with declaws. I guess the workers note all this stuff and make sure they go to indoor homes, but how can they know for sure.
I would hope that someone would ONLY declaw if they were sure that they were going to own the animal for its life or if they had to give it up to make sure that it went to an indoor home ( like Maddie's situation).

kgeorge
04-15-2001, 06:29 PM
I have a 9 month old cat that I got a 5 months old from the breeder, Sundance was trained only to use a scratching post and he does, just as a precaution before I brought him home I covered the corners of the furniture with double sided stick tape, works great!

Declawing is a very painful traumatic experience, they are kept at the vets for at least 2 days in case any complications develop, I would never, never declaw. With training your kitty can learn what not to scratch, good luck.

AvaJoy
04-23-2001, 08:56 PM
Wolflady's post with the vet's dissertation on the evils of declawing truly says it all! I would like to suggest that when trying to teach an armed cat to use a scratching post, do offer both vertical and horizontal options. This may hasten their adaptation, as some have specific preferences.

Kudos to the vets that refuse to perform this surgery. It seems akin to removing a dog's vocal cords because it barks too much.

------------------
Regards ~ AvaJoy
=^.".^=

4 feline house
04-24-2001, 01:36 PM
AvaJoy-

You are so right on the position of scratching posts - some even like them on an incline!

nsweezie
04-29-2001, 03:01 PM
Currently we have 5 cats.
4 are not declawed.
1 is, and he is the last one to have that surgery. He was in terrible pain after the surgery, had blood all over his bandages. It changed my mind, and the rest of the families minds as well.
For the most part, with proper training, the cats with claws do not scratch anything but the scratching post.

I_love_cats
06-08-2002, 11:42 PM
I am against declawing, it should be ban in every country. It is vey painful on the kitty and afterwards, it is a long recovery. I nevr get my cats declawed, two of my cats have their claws but my last cat I adopted from my shelter, was declawed on all four paws and had a broken foot. I am glad I adopted him because he might of got home where they let him and which he would survive from other animals. I heard they only supposed to do 2 front paws and that is it.

maxx's mom
06-21-2002, 12:55 AM
I have also seen softpaws, and mentioned them on another post before I saw this one. Although I have not used them myself, I do know people who have, and I have heard nothing but praise for this product.

I am also against declawing, for the same reasons already mentioned.

Uabassoon
06-21-2002, 03:33 AM
The only experience I have had with delawed cat is my roommates. The previous owners had her declawed and would let her roam outside. I'm glad they gave the cat to my roommate so she can be kept inside all the time. Her cat is terrified of mine, if mine get anywhere near her she growls and waves her paws everywhere. I wonder if maybe other cats attacked her when she was outdoors. Luckily after a year my cats still haven't realized that she has no claws. The big fuss she makes is enough to scare away Zasper an Corkscrew.

khoyman
06-21-2002, 11:27 AM
I do not feel the same as most other cat owners. Yes, I love my cat dearly and just spent $300 to save his life after being poisoned by flea treatment. I don't see anything wrong with declawing a cat. My cat has been strictly indoors since I first got him 10 years ago. I tried many different kinds of scratching posts. However, he still caused a great deal of destruction at my parents house, where I lived until a couple of years ago. When Squirt, my cat, was about 9 years old, I got him declawed. I was moving out and didn't want him to cause the same kind of damage as he had in the past. I knew I would be renting an apartment for a while and could not allow him to destroy someone else's property. Squirt had the laser surgery done, which is safe. The vet in Edinboro, PA who declawed him did an excellent job! Squirt was sore for a short period of time, but is the same cat he was before this. It did not change his personality or aggressiveness at all. Squirt has always been afraid of the outdoors, and his declawing did not cause him to fear it. I feel that a surgery on a pet is just like a human who gets surgery. Of course, there are always risks with anesthesia. But even knowing the risks, I will receive anesthesia if it is necessary for a procedure. I guess I just don't believe in sheltering and overprotecting pets. My cat does not like having a new puppy in the house. But, yes, I let my puppy investigate Squirt and find out for himself that he cannot mess with the cat. I just do not think that declawing is cruel to a cat. I would rather keep my cat inside and be declawed. Even if a cat has his/her claws, there are still dangers to being an outside cat. Feline leukemia is extremely contagious in cats and poses more of a health risk than declawing.

I really think that some pet owners and animal activists go a little overboard with these issues. I did not see any negative effects to declawing my cat and would do it again.

I trust my veterinarian to do the best job he/she can. Now that I am outside of PA, I still found an excellent vet who I owe everything to for saving Squirt's life. I would trust her with my cat and my dog for any procedure.

Ultimately, this is your decision. If you feel that, for whatever reason, it would be best for your cat to be declawed, then find a reputable vet to do the procedure. If you feel that your cat's personality is too sensitive to be able to handle this surgery, then maybe you need to decide not to go through with declawing. Just base your decision on your own feelings and reasons. All cats and all situations are different.

I did try scratching posts with my cat, but was unsuccessful. He was squirted with water when he scratched other things. He just has a very strong, stubborn personality and really nothing worked to get him to scratch only his post. He did a lot of damage to my parents home due to his scratching. Even trimming his nails regularly did not stop him.

And by the way, my cat was a biter before I had him declawed. He only used his teeth as a defense anyway, so it made no difference. And let's also just clear up that I am not a horribly mean person just because I'm not against declawing.

mruffruff
06-21-2002, 12:30 PM
Could you please describe the laser method? I'm not familiar with it.

What exactly does the laser do differently? I think most people are concerned that bone is removed in the usual declawing. Is the laser surgery less invasive?

Mary

khoyman
06-21-2002, 04:37 PM
I think they still remove the bone, but it heals faster and reduces scaring. I guess I just feel that for my situation, declawing my cat was best. I first got my cat at the age of 13. At the time, I was living with my parents and didn't give his destruction too much thought. Now that it is my house and my things that would get destroyed, I really felt that my cat could handle this procedure. He has a strong personality and does not let pain or other things get in the way. My cat's personality is much like mine, which is why I felt that he could handle it. And he did fine. It all healed after a week or two, and he was back to his old self.

I don't know the exact specifics of the differences in laser vs. traditional declawing. It was much easier on his healing though.

aly
07-07-2002, 10:10 PM
Just because a cat has claws does not make it an outside cat. My baby has all of her nails and is 100% indoors. All my furniture is also intact. She knows to only scratch on her scratching post or she'll see the super soaker come out of the closet. I also rent but would rather pay any amount of money for damages than amputate my kitty.

Most of the main points about declawing have been brought up in the thread but another thing is it can turn them into biters since their first defense is removed. Trust me, you'd rather get scratched than biten by a cat. At work when a cat gets really tempermental with me, I usually correctly assume that it is a declawed cat. Yes, it can happen where there are no behavioral problems but not always.

I have scratches up and down my arms and legs from my foster kittens but the thought has never crossed my mind that I should cut off their toes. Would you debark your puppy if he barked too much?