PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed!

smileyiloveyou
08-29-2004, 05:36 PM
As some of you know I take care of ALOT of stray cats that live in my shed now. But my friends and neighbours are always telling me to stop. I leave food out for them, bedding, a few toys, and water. I wash there beds every day and there toys. During the day most of them leave so I steralize everthing and at night they come home to a clean house. Do you guys think i should stop? Is it bad that i am putting out beds? Perhaps they are to germy? I have taken 2 cats to be spayed and I am saving up for the rest. I have 2 sheds one shed houses 10 cats (but it is a rather large shed) the other shed is kept very clean for the cats that have kittens, and cats that need vetrinary care. Does anyone have any other ideas of what i can put in there for the cats? Or should I stop doing it altogether?:(

gini
08-29-2004, 05:51 PM
I am not quite sure why your friends and neighbors are telling you to stop.

Are the cats fighting at night, or digging in the neighbor's gardens?

Your friends could just be concerned that they feel you are overextending yourself and doing without yourself, to care for the cats.

It sure sounds as though you are doing everything to be sure the cats are well cared for, fed, neutered or spayed.

Unless the cats are really "bothering" them, then I think what decisions you make regarding them is your business alone.

jenluckenbach
08-29-2004, 05:53 PM
HI and welcome. I for one do not think you should stop caring for the strays, but I personally don't think you should continue to allow them to roam prior to spaying/neutering. I know it is financially challeging to have all the operations done, but it will be even more financially challenging to care for double and triple the numbers of strays that will look to you for food after a few litters.

Thank you for caring for those who have no one else to care for them.

smileyiloveyou
08-29-2004, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by gini
I am not quite sure why your friends and neighbors are telling you to stop.

Are the cats fighting at night, or digging in the neighbor's gardens?

Your friends could just be concerned that they feel you are overextending yourself and doing without yourself, to care for the cats.

It sure sounds as though you are doing everything to be sure the cats are well cared for, fed, neutered or spayed.

Unless the cats are really "bothering" them, then I think what decisions you make regarding them is your business alone.

Well my neighbour is mad because has a dog 'that is scared of the numerous cats going in and out of our yard' I know for a fact none of the cats has ever hurt the dog. Most of my friends support that i am doing this but some think it would be best for them to go to ashelter. Since Parksville i so small the nearest shelter is one in Qualicum and because of there low bundget is looks like a dungeon in there :rolleyes:

smileyiloveyou
08-29-2004, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by jenluckenbach
HI and welcome. I for one do not think you should stop caring for the strays, but I personally don't think you should continue to allow them to roam prior to spaying/neutering. I know it is financially challeging to have all the operations done, but it will be even more financially challenging to care for double and triple the numbers of strays that will look to you for food after a few litters.

Thank you for caring for those who have no one else to care for them.

But what am i going to do with all those cats before i get them spayed or neutered? I'm not taking care of 2 or 3 cats. Most nights there are 10 cats in one shed, and 15 in our 3 car garage that we dont use. We have another shed but i was to keep that sterile in case of emergencies, with very sick cats ect. I dont want to give them to a shelter again because of the low budget the dont keep them around for more then a week!

smileyiloveyou
08-29-2004, 06:18 PM
If anyone has any other ideas what to put in the garage and shed that also would be appreciated! I've never 'owned' a cat before so i dont know what else they like.

We have 4 cats doors in each building (so on nights its cold we hsut the door and they can still get in and our)

We also set up a tarp for when its raining, with food underneath

In the Garage we have:
- A little tent that some sleep in
- About 5 scratching posts
- 17 Beds (just to make sure every kitty gets a bed)
- 17 bowls of food( but there only put out at breakfast and dinner and somtimes lunch
- 8 water bowls, filled regularly the "usuals" (cats that have stayed here for awhile) know there own water bowls!
- A little play structure thing
- a lil roof heater for cold winter days
- beds on the window sills

In the Shed:

- Another lil tent
- 3 scratching posts
- 10 beds
-10 bowls
- A great playin thing my friends gave
- in the shed we got a little roof heater for cold winter days
- We have 4 windows in teh shed so we have lil beds on the window sills

Emergency Shed

- We have shelved in there for supplies
- roof heater
- window seats
- 14 beds
-10 bowls
- 3 scratching posts
- lots of blankets
- cat toys

Laura's Babies
08-29-2004, 08:10 PM
I would continue doing what you are doing and I think it is great what you are trying to do. Sounds also like you have everything down to a fine tuned schedule and what you are doing should be commended....!! There is always one sour grape in a bunch so don't let that discourage you... Better to have well fed strays in the neighborhood than starving ones to get into the garbage and scrounging for food.

Is there a orginization that could help her get these fixed and released...... anybody??

carole
08-29-2004, 08:40 PM
I agree, continue what you are doing, its people like you who make a difference, since you are not an owner as such of a cat, is there any chance of making some of them your own pet,? or would that just make things more difficult.

I admire your committment to these dear little kitties, who are blessed to have you, and I wish you all the best of luck, it sounds like you have got it all well under control, and have a real neat set-up for them.

There are many multi-cat owners on PT and people who rescue cats who can offer you any advice you need,.:)

smileyiloveyou
08-29-2004, 09:13 PM
Thanks everyone. I would love to make them all my pets but it would complicate things. I spend so much time out with these cats i dont think mine would get enough attention!!!

I'm so excited, There is a new mom kitty and her baby that came to the shed tonight for supper. I put them in the rescue shed becuase i want to make sure the kittens immune system is strong enough to be with other cats. My mom planned a visit to the vet tommorow at 12, so i will let you know if they are healthy, I hope they stick around the kitten is a huge gray fluff ball and the mom is freakishly skinny!!!

My favorite cat, Leah isnt feeling to well. I am keeping her in our house tonight. I hope everthing is ok. She has come to our shed for 4 years. I recently got her spayed, i hope it wasnt from the operation:(

catcrazylady
08-29-2004, 09:39 PM
One suggestion might be to contact the shelter and see if they can help you with low cost spay/neuter. A lot of shelters offer reduced costs especially since youaren't asking them to take the cats.
It sounds like you have wonderful setup for the kitties and it's a wonderful thing you are doing.:D I just hope you can get all the females fixed as soon as possible so you don't have to worry about more. I know it's hard and expensive but hopefully the shelter can help you out. If they won't then I woudl call around to some of your local vets and explain the situation to them and see if they will discount for you.
Good luck and keep us posted.

moosmom
08-29-2004, 11:00 PM
Thank you for caring for the cats.

I can make one suggestion. Try buying a couple of large Rubbermaid bins with lids. Flip them over onto their lids and cut a hole large enough for the cats to get in and out. Line them with newspaper, and straw or old blankets. They make great little kitty "houses" and the cats will love them!

Please keep us posted okay? And good luck. What you're doing is wonderful!

NoahsMommy
08-30-2004, 01:28 AM
I agree, most shelters or vets are usually willing to help out with low cost spay/neutering. Maybe you can have them all done at the same time?

I just worry that if they aren't fixed, you'll never have enough room for all the new ones.

That's great what you and your family are doing. :)

leslie
08-30-2004, 11:02 PM
what kind of pets do you have that you think would not get along with cats? If you take in a kitten? It will grow to get along anything you have (unless you have a killer pet!). Your mom will benefit from learning about the low cost spay and vaccines posted here on another thread and all vets have access to that as well! There is no reason EVER to pay full price these days for spay/ nueter, distemper and rabies (initial visit) you may have to pay full price for testing fiv and luekemia, these vary. but you should find out if those are running through the colony. although, don't make any rash decisions based on test results. It depends on who you test. Hopefully your vet is wise. I had kittens test positive for fiv at age 13 weeks then neg later. They tested positive initially because mom is positive so her milk was showing up in thier blood. But luckily, none of the 3 ever developed fiv. I do have one of the kittens still here (he is probably 9 years old now) and he has likely nose cancer. So his immune system MAY have been compromised by his initial dx- the nose problem showed up as a kitten but he has not needed any treatment yet. Just act wisely... consult with others and do the right thing for the cat's sake- allow no suffering and all will come out ok and to your favor- so far so good, right!?

leslie
08-30-2004, 11:04 PM
by the way, you don't say where you are, so no one can check to see what rescue groups can help in your area!

smileyiloveyou
08-30-2004, 11:09 PM
I live in Parksville BC. I mentioned that in General..i think:p

smileyiloveyou
08-30-2004, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by moosmom
Thank you for caring for the cats.

I can make one suggestion. Try buying a couple of large Rubbermaid bins with lids. Flip them over onto their lids and cut a hole large enough for the cats to get in and out. Line them with newspaper, and straw or old blankets. They make great little kitty "houses" and the cats will love them!

Please keep us posted okay? And good luck. What you're doing is wonderful!

Thats a great idea!!! Thanks!!!
My mom is calling local vets, to see about discounts ect tommorow.

I have enough money to get two cats spayed. Both of them the vet will keep and monitor for 5 days. Then i will keep them in my house for the amount of time the vet reccomends!

leslie
08-30-2004, 11:24 PM
keep them in the house until there is no swelling, no stitches (all absolved), and she is eating, and peeing and pooping normally, and if you're not sure what that is - it's twice a day! a nice firm poop and a nice 1/8 th cup of pee (about) and she should not be straining in the litter box (sign of uti if she does) if she tries to pee in porcelain like the tub or sink, that means uti, if there is pink in urine, that means uti, if there is black in stool, that means blood in stool and bring it to the vet. If she picks at her stitches, try to divert her with play or petting, or cat nip. or sooth her stitches by patting the area carefully, they probably itch. They can get infected easily and it's up to you to be the watcher for signs of infection! Good luck and after she looks good, and a couple more days for safe keeping!

Ally Cat's Mommy
08-31-2004, 12:43 AM
You have already had some great advice, and contacting the local vets and shelters re low-cost operations is a great way to go.

A while ago I put together some info on behalf of our local shelter, for the local newspaper, as we have loads of people feeding compound (or stray) cats, but not enough of them are TNRĂ_ng. Good luck with getting your cats "fixed"

The harsh reality is that these animals are "hunters" and by providing an easy food source we are causing them to lose their hunting and scavenging abilities. What will become of these animals when their reliable food source disappears? They will not know how to fend for themselves. In addition, nature minimizes overpopulation by a process of natural selection - "survival of the fittest". In nature only strong animals will successfully mate, and produce litters. Weak, sick or malnourished animals will typically not produce large, viable litters. However when we remove natures "birth control", and provide food, we are creating an environment where healthy animals are breeding and producing large healthy litters. This needs to be controlled in some way.

A very humane way of handling this problem is by a process caller TNR (Trap, Neuter, Release). An animal is trapped in a humane trap, is spayed or neutered, and after a short recovery period is released back into the same area. Over a period of time, if all animals in an area have been TNR'ed, the population will decrease to a manageable level.

SO WHAT CAN YOU DO??? If you are already feeding cats in your compound, please consider taking this care one step further, by embarking on a TNR program!

(The rest of the article was info specific to our situation in bahrain, but I'm sure you get the idea. It's WONDERFUL what you are doing by feeding and sheltering them, but it will get totally unmanagable if the numbers of cats are not controlled.

leslie
08-31-2004, 12:51 AM
Oh dear, be careful regarding "hunting" and cats. They only know how if mom teaches them. If mom is dumped/abandoned, they are not taught and are scavengers of trash (bones and bread and I've seen cats eat paper and leaves and bugs and sticks). I beg to differ on "natural hunting" skills. In all the 10 years of trapping Ive done with jan, not one cat was doing ok with "hunting" (and no feeder involved") they were dying, dehydrated and poops were hard black from eating bugs and sticks. And sick with parasites from what they did eat. (lung worm etc)

smileyiloveyou
08-31-2004, 12:54 AM
I went to the Pet store today, and found a filterized cat water bowl! Do you think that would be good for the cats? The water is always on a cycle. It goin in to the bowl and is instantely sucked up in the filter again. More water is always been filtered and poured in the bowl. I though maybe that would avoid germs?! Has anyone used or seen one of these? Do they worked or are they just an over priced water bowl!?

leslie
08-31-2004, 12:57 AM
i think if you can empty and wash with soap and water the bowls every other day, that should be good enough!

jamie123
08-31-2004, 01:03 AM
I've heard they are nothing that special. However that was from people with out 30 cats haha!!! But i think if u keep the normal bowls sinitary then that would be just as good.!

catmandu
08-31-2004, 08:56 AM
I ahve the same problem,as there at at least 6 Cats,who are regulars,on Te Porch! I put out food,for the Hungry Ones,and end up,with the House Cats,that come over,to supplement,thier diets!I do keep,the porch clean,as the smell,would be unbearable,elsewise!

moosmom
08-31-2004, 09:44 AM
I have a PetMate filtered fountain for my cats. They LOVE it! I clean it out once a week. I got it on sale at Petco for $19 cuz it didn't have a filter. That was a great deal considering the original cost is $39.99. I simply bought a new filter for it. :D