PDA

View Full Version : my daughter's day volunteering with the cats...

carole
08-29-2004, 04:16 PM
Remember I told you Melissa had volunteered to help with the adoption of the kitties in the shopping malls, she got rang up this week and spent Sunday helping out for the Human Alternative group, a no kill shelter which formed when the local council decided to poison feral and stray cats in their town, they trapped these kitties and saved their lives.

She took a friend with her, and they had a ball, filling their water dishes, patting the cats , talking to people, making up a sign about one of the cats and naming it Muffin.

There were only four cats, as it is only a small area, big enough to take that many cages, the cages are nice and roomy, there was Marmalade, a ginger boy, who's mother Jaffa was adopted last week, ( I loved her, she was a cutie) a black boy called Sooty and a pretty white and grey kitty, that Melissa named Muffin, and the one who captured my heart and soul, Libby.

Let me tell you about Libby, Libby had been shaved as she had very matted fur, so she looked a bit rough, poor wee girl, she was a black long-haired girl, who had a very sweet nature, but was a bit stressed being there, but she settled down, she was found on the side of the road, she had either been hit by a car or thrown from a car, she had a broken Jaw, which is now completely healed, and two teeth removed, and has a bit of problem with her lips, so she can only eat wet food.

I really wanted to take Libby home with me, if I could afford another kitty, she would be here, I know there will always be kitties like Libby, I just have to hope she finds a really good home and soon, Melissa will beable to keep track of Libby, so that will be good.

I said to hubby last night , its not Melissa you have to worry about, wanting to take a cat home, its ME!! he agreed.

Sadly no adoptions were made, but it is looking hopeful for either Sooty or Marmalade, a couple who had adopted a dog from the Shelter wanted to take a cat home, but were not sure if the dog would accept the cat, so they went away to think about it, they are able to return the cat if it does not work out, so fingers and paws crossed at least one kitty got a new home.

It was a great day all around, Melissa just loved it and cannot wait to go again.:) ME TOO!! except my heart gets broken, seeing those sweethearts and not being able to give them a home,I will have to toughen up like Melissa.;)

catnapper
08-29-2004, 04:54 PM
Sounds like a great day for your daughter! You need ot stay far away from there! :D No temptations! :D

Laura's Babies
08-29-2004, 07:23 PM
It breaks my heart to see ANY homeless animal. They are deserve homes. It is not their fault they are born and not their fault they don't have homes. It is humans fault. It also breaks my heart to see how many come into the shelter in one day and how few are adopted..

carole
08-29-2004, 08:16 PM
Yes Kim you are right I probably do need to stay away,but somehow I just cannot.

As much as I would love to adopt Libby,I know its not possible, and I won't be doing it, my own cats have to come first and to a degree my health, my allergy simply would not tolerate a third, especially long-haired like Libby.

It is still comforting to know these kitties are fed, and loved and cared for and not roaming the streets, starving and flea-infested etc, so the shelter is better than that for sure, and in time some of them will have wonderful homes.

We are just waiting to see if Melissa's school will agree to raise funds for the Human Alternative, there was an article in the paper how their vet fees alone were $7,000 dollars a mth, so she took it along to the school counsellor, and is waiting to hear if anything becomes of it.

This term they held a mufti day (day where they donot have to wear uniform) and instead of donating a dollar to the school, those who wanted to wear it, donated foodstuffs to the Battered Womens Refugee, they had over a thousand dollars worth of food, so I am hoping maybe next term they can do the same for the kitties and donate a can of food, now wouldn't that be awesome, if they don't have to buy food, it will help with the vet expenses.

The shelters do have boxes at the local supermarkets where you can donate food, so I often do that, but they still need lots of help as you are all aware of.

catmandu
08-30-2004, 09:14 AM
That is great,that Melissa,is so compassionate,toward Cats,and ALL THE FOUND cats send her a Specail Found Cat MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW!

carole
08-30-2004, 06:01 PM
Thanks Gary.

Melissa already has it planned when she has her own place that she is having cats, a mother and two kittens hopefully, and indoor kitties too, however something she said after seeing Libby, which I thought was neat, I am going to adopt the one least likely to be adopted, maybe because it is not so pretty or for whatever reason, Libby will be a pretty cat when her fur grows back, but a lot of people will overlook her unfortunately.

So just from one day volunteering, Melissa has decided this, I think only good can come out of her volunteer work, and I am really happy she wants to do this and loves it so much.:)

catcrazylady
08-30-2004, 06:09 PM
OMG Carole what a wonderful daughter you have!! She truly is a cat lover and is not selfish at all. She has already decided that the outside beauty isn't whats important. I think she will find so much love and do so much good from her work. This is so fantastic!! You must be very proud of her and rightfully so.:) :) :)

carole
08-30-2004, 06:24 PM
Yes Melissa always amazes me, she is such a thinker, she has her life all planned out already at 12 yrs, of course it might not go according to her plans, but who knows, she plans to become a teacher, quite possible as all on my husbands side are teachers.

She has a strength about her, that I wish I had,and of course I am very proud of her.

davidpizzica
08-31-2004, 06:57 AM
Carole, you have the most beautiful, compassionate daughter! I'm almost tempted to swim the Pacific to adopt Libby! It is sad but true, people would look at poor Libby and probably think she's shaved, I don't want her. When I adopted Nikki, it seemed that everyone overlooked her because she was heavy. I adopted her because I thought she was beautiful! I'm glad that Melissa has such a caring heart for animals and that she seems so mature at 12! BTW, I can't wait to be healed enough to go back to volunteering, myself!

carole
08-31-2004, 05:13 PM
I am sure Libby would love to become an american, but alas its a bit far, even though PTF is adopting Annie from USA to England, NZ is a tad far away, I am sure Libby will eventually get a good home, at least we will beable to keep tabs on her progress and that will be neat.

Yes I am looking forward to the next adoption day too, I hope Marmalade found a home last sunday, its a very rewarding thing to do, it has its down side, but at least you can feel good knowing you are trying to help the cats,even if its in a small way.

QueenScoopalot
08-31-2004, 08:09 PM
What a wonderful thing your daughter did! Great learning experience as well. I love the idea about donating a can of catfood on mufti day to help the shelter. You'll have to bring a camera next time you go to the shelter. Give Melissa a hug from all the PTrs, and give Libby a kiss for us all next time you see her! ;)

carole
08-31-2004, 08:35 PM
QSA I will give Libby heaps of kisses from everyone on PT, she is such a sweet girl, yes well I just hope the school buys into the idea, we have yet to hear, no news yet, but fingers crossed, they could indeed raise a lot of cash or food,it would be so great.

Melissa has taken photos on her phone, but I am unable to download them on here, we have to purchase something for the computer to do that, so sorry about not having pics, I would dearly love to share pics of Libby and the others.

Maybe my Melissa will be a cat rescue lady like you QSA, she has an inner strength, that i just don't have,time will tell eh?

I am going to show Melissa this thread, I am sure she will love all the positive and caring comments, there is nothing like praise.:)

davidpizzica
08-31-2004, 09:15 PM
Carole, after hearing about Melissa's involvment with adoptions, I can't wait until I am healed enough to continue with my adoption activities. I e-mailed my "boss" at Cat Sense and found out that we had three adoptions last saturday!

leslie
08-31-2004, 09:32 PM
just now saw this thread! Well ain't you 2 a pair? I did adoptions one time at a pet store and hated it. Because the cats were freaking out in a large cage together in the middle of the pet store with dogs and kids walking by (running and yelling I should say) and they were terrified! It terrified me! I managed to adopt out one teenage kitten (one of QSL's - before I knew her actually) and that was it. I told the shelter no way was I going to put myself or the cats through that again (QSL- that was where I met Jonathan- he had just gotten into town and knew no of no rescue groups but saw himself a job opportunity in advertising so pumped me for info- I gave him AMT's and our Danvers friend #!)
Things are quite different now. Space is normal in terms of understanding you don't put pets out to be adopted in the middle of a store (duh).
Carole, how is your son? I know this is off topic but you haven't mentioned him in a while?
You're daughter is doing the work of a saint- I really hope the fund raising idea at school works out- let us know - I want to know because I feel very strongly that it's by getting to our kids that we can teach sympathy and empathy for life.
I have been in relationships that the other person just didn't get my love for animals (acted like they were bugs- hard to explain, just zero interest- come to find out - they did not have pets or any animals around them with relatives, friends, what have you at all! So animals were like, I guess, odd to them? I don't know- that doesn't explain it either... Ok Well, Carole, Great MOM that you are, keep us updated on all the adoption news! I think it is nice to hear about cuz it gives the rest of us a sense of hope!

rg_girlca
08-31-2004, 09:34 PM
You did a great job Carole raising such a caring, loving girl like Melissa. She sounds like a daughter that any mother would be proud of.

Carole, my son also has a cell phone camera and all he does is send a picture to my e-mail addy, then I save them to my pictures and then I am able to upload them on my ImageStation.

Hope this helps.

carole
08-31-2004, 11:27 PM
I know what you mean about it being freaky for the cats, but luckily most of them seem to settle down, my own lexie was adopted by us from one of the shopping malls, and she had hidden herself under a blanket, to this day she still loves to hide under blankets.

Leslie I started a thread about my son today, he is on his way home, only about 18 hrs to go and he will be here with me YAHOO!!! I have missed him so much.

I will keep you all posted about the kitty's, every time Melissa does a shift I will let you all know how it is going,I hope to hear good news about adoptions too, I am thinking of buying something for Libby, even though I cannot adopt her, I want to buy her a special toy, any ideas? I was thinking perhaps a catnip toy.

Thanks for all the nice comments, I am sure Melissa will be chuffed and have big smile on her face when I show her.

David I am glad you will soon beable to be back doing your volunteer work as well, you will be missed.

Rg Girlca thanks for the advice, I think I can do that but I have to sign up and it costs money unfortunately each month, in the long run it will be cheaper to buy this apparatus we need, she has some really neat pics of my kitty's as well that I am dying to share.:)

lynnestankard
09-01-2004, 06:58 AM
Aw Carole - Like Mother Like Daughter xxxxx

Lynne

davidpizzica
09-01-2004, 07:25 AM
Lynne, I CAN'T WAIT until I'm healed enough to start volunteering with Cat Sense again! Lynne in my opinion, rescued kitties are the best pets! I'owned by two of the best.

Killearn Kitties
09-01-2004, 08:02 AM
I'm glad your daughter enjoyed her day at the shelter, Carole. It sounds great. I think this is going to be such a good thing for her to do.

I've got my fingers crossed for Marmalade. Remember to let us know about him. :)

carole
09-01-2004, 02:07 PM
You bet , you will all be the first to know about any adoptions for sure!!!:)