PDA

View Full Version : Is this a problem in your neighborhood?

manda99
08-29-2004, 04:19 AM
I'm thinking about writing an opinion letter to the paper because of this issue:

Chicken bones in the street. People around here will walk, eating chicken wings and then throw the bones in the street or on the sidewalk. My dog has like radar for them and sometimes gets them in his mouth. MOST of the time I catch it and he spits it out but I'm sure there's times when I'm distracted or I don't realize and he'll eat them. He even remembers where there were from our previous walks and will search for bones again.
Now, I have enough respect that I pick up after him EVERY TIME and try to have him pee places that won't ruin greenery...
But I swear the same people that come out of their house to make sure I'm picking up his sh*t are the ones throwing their bones/bread/etc on the ground.

Is this a problem for anyone else? It's really starting to piss me off.

Cookiebaker
08-29-2004, 04:23 AM
I live in the boondocks up here, and it's even a problem up here! We have a beautiful walking trail right next to our house, and a few months ago, Malone found some chicken bones from a leftover picnic that someone left. It's so rude and disgusting, and yes, a petpeeve of mine, too! :mad:

p.s. Please can we see some Smoky pictures??? :)

manda99
08-29-2004, 04:27 AM
oooh, dont get me started w/ smokey pictures! haha
i think i'll start a thread for them. :)

Smilla
08-29-2004, 07:45 AM
YEP! There's always food on the street, here--it's like a doggie buffet. (Or at least Lefty thinks of it that way.) He ate an entire hamburger patty off the street once, before I could stop him. He got sick from it.

I'm not really sure what to do about the problem. I'm trying to teach "Leave it" etc., but it doesn't work when he's determined to eat something. We've fished things out of him mouth before, but that also isn't unpleasant enough to stop him from doing it again.

Joannie
08-29-2004, 08:00 AM
I have never heard of this, where does this happen, and it certainly could be a problem,chicken bones splinter and can rupture a intestine or stomach lining, can you talk to your neighbors?:confused: Joannie

boscibo
08-29-2004, 09:41 AM
I've never run into chicken bones, but I used to walk Bandit on the nice sandy beaches of a local river. We would always run into fish bones. Many of the anglers thought it was cool to throw carp out while fishing, they think they compete with the more desirable species like Walleye and Pike, so if they catch carp they leave them on the beach to rot.

So when walking on the beaches I was always on constant lookout for Bandit eating fish bones. I swear during that time he probably thought his name was "Drop It!".

The other hazard of these rotting fish was, of course, the habit dogs have of rolling in anything smelly. I don't think there is anything that smells worse than wet dog rolled in rotten fish. :eek: