PDA

View Full Version : FIV/FeLV

thelmalu99
03-28-2001, 10:51 AM
Hello,
Some of you probably remember my post of earlier this year when I mentioned that Charlie tested positive for FIV. Well, the vet later told me that I had misunderstood him and that Charlie really has FeLV. I am sure that I didn't misunderstand him because I knew nothing about either disease when Charlie was tested. All I knew was what he explained to me, and what he explained to me was about FIV. Anyway, I have a few questions:
1- From what I have read, it is better to wait about six months before retesting (Charlie is now 9 1/2 months old and he was tested in late Jan.) because he's still a kitten. Does this sound right to all of you? I retested him the same day, but now I want to take him elsewhere to be tested again because they seem to be a bit lax with their paperwork at this place. Should I wait a few more months?

2-I have a new neighbor across the hall who has a cat as well. As a matter of fact, he looks just like Charlie. http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif Anyway, my father is in town and he stays at my apartment-he says that the other day when he came home, the neighbor was at her door and she played with Charlie for a few moments. Dad says Charlie went into her apartment for a few seconds, then came right back out. Dad didn't see the neighbor's cat. My question is: how careful do I have to be? Charlie still needs to be tested again before I know for sure, but I certainly don't want to expose this other kitty to any danger of contamination. From what I have read, both diseases are spread through saliva and blood, so they would actually have to get into a fight. Some places, however, say that you should be concerned about feeding and water bowls. There seems to be no clear consensus on the matter.
I'd really appreciate any advice...thanks in advance.

4 feline house
03-28-2001, 07:44 PM
I am not an expert, so I won't tell you any more than what I know - in other words, this information is not complete, but I have included some good links:

FIV is not readily spread, and the transmission agent is saliva. The virus does not live long outside the host so it is extremely unlikely that a cat can pick it up from a blanket, for instance, that another cat has chewed on. As far as is now known, the only way for cats to spread it is through bites. Here's a good link:
http://web.vet.cornell.edu/Public/FHC/fiv.html

FeLV, however, is spread through other bodily secretions as well as saliva, so it is much more contagious, as cats who groom each other, sneeze on each other, or share bowls will likely transmit it to each other. Here is a good link for it:
http://web.vet.cornell.edu/Public/FHC/felv.html

As far as the waiting period, it would really depend on which test he was initially given, as you may have read in the link. Of course, if you want to retest sooner because you want a second opinion, I wouldn't wait at all.

[This message has been edited by 4 feline house (edited March 28, 2001).]

thelmalu99
03-29-2001, 09:40 AM
Thanks 4Feline!
Charlie has had both of those tests. They're just really bad with their paperwork there and it concerns me, that's why I want a second opinion. Once, the receptionist stuck Charlie's ID sticker on another patient's file...had I not noticed and pointed it out to her, well who knows? Now, the doctor who initially told me he has FIV is telling me that it's FeLV. If there's any chance that this is an error, it's worth it to retest him.
Thanks again for your help. http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif

thelmalu99
03-29-2001, 11:41 AM
Thanks Spencer,
Those links and the "Rescue With Casualties" post were really helpful.
You know, if Charlie is sick, you wouldn't know it from looking at him. He's always running around, getting into things, doing normal kitty things. His eyes are bright and his coat is shiny. I check his litter box several times a day to make sure everything is normal in that department.
I sure hope he's ok. He's such a little angel and I want him around for a long time!

4 feline house
03-29-2001, 10:19 PM
Thelmalu:

For both FIV and FeLV, the superinfections and opportunistic diseases are what the cats usually succumb to, not the actual virus. They are both immunosupressing viruses. So keeping him warm, happy and well-fed, in a clean environment, and isolated from other cats will go along way towards extending his life.