PDA

View Full Version : Favorite town you've ever lived in

lizzielou742
08-28-2004, 10:14 PM
This may not apply to some people, either who have live the same place their whole lives and hated it or who just have never lived anywhere they liked...but I have a favorite city that I miss.

I grew up in Dayton, Ohio (http://www.daytoncvb.com/), went to college in Lexington, Kentucky (http://www.visitlex.com/), and now live in Louisville, Kentucky (http://www.gotolouisville.com/). I miss Lexington with all my heart!! :( I'm a bit "homesick" - I moved to Louisville in December and I'm dying to go back to Lexington. My boyfriend and I met there, went to college there, and both adore the city. His job took him to Louisville a couple of years ago, and as soon as I graduated college I moved up here to be with him. We have agreed as soon as the opportunity comes up, we're moving back.

Lexington is truly an awesome town. Small enough that it feels homey, but big enough that there's a mall with a J. Crew in it! ;) Quaint downtown area, with beautiful buildings. A college town (University of Kentucky (http://www.uky.edu/)!) with lots of older buildings renovated for apartments. My last apartment in Lexington was in a historic neighborhood. I had a picket fenced front yard, with a garden, and was just a 5 minute walk from either downtown or campus. The people are truly more friendly there - probably due to the "small college town" feel.

Lexington also has a smoking ban, which I am just now begining to appreciate, recently moved its bar-closing time from 1am to 2:30 am, has no 18-and-up clubs that serve alcohol, the Kentucky Horse Park and Keeneland racetrack (horse racing), Joseph Beth bookstore (WONDERFUL bookstore) and a great recycling program. Overall it just felt good being there. I don't feel that in bigger cities like Dayton & Louisville. I'm not trying to dog either one of those cities, I like them both just fine, they each have great things to offer (Churchill Downs racetrack, Thunder over Louisville, Six Flags, etc.) but I guess I just love Lexington more than any place I've ever been.

Anyone else feel that way about a city?

sammy101
08-28-2004, 10:32 PM
my favourite town was

Konigstein,Germany (near Frankfurt) i loved it ther eb/c i fit in so good,and the food was great,and the people were good too.even though i lived there for 6 months,its still my favourite place!:D

Harmanie
08-28-2004, 10:33 PM
I loved it in Louiston Maine!
Love it. so clean and beautiful. We also lived right across the street from old orchered beach and a block away from a carnival that goes there every year!!!

EssTer
08-29-2004, 05:21 AM
Well, if I need to be fair I've lived only in two towns - In Valmiera(Latvia) I was born, and I grew up there, and now I live in Keflavik (Iceland)...and I enjoy living in both of them.. I'm not sure which of them is my favourite...I'm young, and maybe the favourite one will come later :D

Lillycat
08-29-2004, 07:03 AM
cape may new jersey is my favorite place......on the ocean, yet surrounded on four sides by water .......small, quaint, can walk from one side of the place to the other, yet has everything one could need........i love the ocean!

chocolatepuppy
08-29-2004, 07:25 AM
Daytona Beach, loved being near the ocean! Oh course I'm very happy here in this little town in Ohio !

RubyMutt
08-29-2004, 09:54 AM
One of my best friends is living in Lexington attending the UK right now :D Except he hates it - too big of a city for his taste, too many people, too much traffic :(

I've only lived in two cities thus far into my life, but my favorite has been my current one, Everett, WA, USA. When I first moved here 9 years ago I HATED it. I couldn't wait until I turned 18 so I could move the heck away from here. Well, I'm 20 now and I'm still in Everett :D It's right on Puget Sound's Port Gardner Bay. I absolutely love living so close to the bay. Most of Everett has gorgeous views of not on the Sound, but also both the Cascade and Olympic mountain ranges. This is probably one of the most gorgeous cities in all Washington state. It's decent sized, population around 95,000, but it's still rater quiet compared to Seattle. Nearly anything you could possibly want to do is within a short driving distance - hiking, boating, skiing, shopping, ANYTHING. And it's only about a 30 minute drive (give or take depending on traffic - one of our area's drawbacks :() to Seattle :)

Tonya
08-29-2004, 10:34 AM
Newman, California. I lived there from the end of 7th grade until my sophmore year (10th grade). Back then, the town had about 7,000 people. It was an agricultural town in the middle of nowhere back then. It was such an innocent town. There were no drugs or creeps. Everyone was so close.

You couldn't ditch school or drive out towards the country without someone telling your parents. I remember driving out in the country with a boyfriend and my friend's dad having a talk with me saying "Kids only go out to the country to drink or make out. Don't let me see you out there again."

We were able to walk home from dances, football games, or parties at 2am without fear. Although it had no fast food resturaunts, only two mom and pop grocery stores, and no movie theater, we still always had fun. All of us kids were very close. (And we still are.) We had these boxing matches every Friday. We'd pick two people (even a boy verses a girl) and we'd bet all week long. Friday night, they'd put the big fluffy gloves on and box.

Someone was always throwing a party. There was one girl, Misty, who's parents were really cool. Once a month, she'd throw a huge theme party. Like a luau, a toga party, a 70's party, etc... The closeness of the town really made me feel safe and secure.

I think because I'd moved out there from the bay area, I really appreciated the town's smallness. Whenever I ramble on about how I love Newman, my friends that spent their entire lives there think I am crazy.

Now, everyone from the bay area has discovered that town. It's less then two hours from San Fransisco, so everyone from the bay has settled there. It's doubled in population and has all kinds of stores and resturaunts. Now, it's getting where there is crime and stuff. It's not safe like it used to be. :(

Kfamr
08-29-2004, 10:57 AM
I've lived in Palm Harbor my whole life.
I've visted alot of places though, so if that counts, it's either Maryville, TN or Findlay, OH! :p

Cincy'sMom
08-29-2004, 12:18 PM
I was born in Bowling Green Ohio, moved to Findlay when I was 4, went to College in Cincinnati, septn 6 months in Chandler Arizona, got an apratment in Sylvania Ohio after college and now have lived in Toledo, Ohio for the last 4 years. Favorite? I liked them all...I love Arizona in the winter, Cincinnati had the most to do of all the cities in Ohio, but I'm think I'm a small town girl at heart. Northwest Ohio has been my favorite place to live.

Uabassoon
08-29-2004, 12:37 PM
I've only lived in two towns, Brownsville, Tx and Tucson, Az. I LOVE tucson, lots of people that live here complain about it but I still love it. Sure it's really hot in the summer, but the mountains are only about a 30 min drive away and it's around 30 degrees cooler up on the mountain. Tucson is a fairly large city, but it has a small city feel and I like that. There's also so much outdoors stuff to do. We have great national parks like Mt. Lemmon and Sabino Canyon. The winters here are amazing, they are just the perfect temperature to go out and do anything.

guster girl
08-29-2004, 01:27 PM
I LOVED Kemnath, Germany. (Pronounced like KIM-knot) If I ever get to a scanner, I'll try to post some photos of the town. It was tiny, but, absolutely gorgeous. My RB baby boy, Bruno, and, I used to walk 6 miles a day every day through the town and I got some wonderful pictures. :) Man, just thinking about it makes me totally homesick!

heinz57_79
08-29-2004, 02:24 PM
Out of all the places I"ve ever lived, I miss Bangkok and Honolulu the most. Both were the only places I've ever considered "home".

dukedogsmom
08-29-2004, 02:31 PM
I hadn't thought about it but I don't have one. I can't remember too much of Tennessee because I got moved to Florida when I was 9. So, I would have to pick the town where my brother lives.
hampsteadmaryland (http://ccpl.carr.org/hampstead/)
I love it up there! Wish I could move there, too.

Samantha Puppy
08-29-2004, 04:51 PM
My favorite town is not one where I've lived, just visited on weekends. My husband went to Virginia Tech in Blacksburg, VA and I absolutely LOVE that area. Aside from the area I live now (and grew up in, so it's all I know), Blacksburg is the only other place I'd ever consider living. It's in the mountains of southwestern Virginia, the people are nice, and it's just a lovely area. Josh graduated in December 2002 and we've only been down there twice since - a year ago - and I am dyin' to go again!

It's also where he proposed to me. :)

Samantha Puppy
08-29-2004, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by dukedogsmom
I hadn't thought about it but I don't have one. I can't remember too much of Tennessee because I got moved to Florida when I was 9. So, I would have to pick the town where my brother lives.
hampsteadmaryland (http://ccpl.carr.org/hampstead/)
I love it up there! Wish I could move there, too. No way! I live about only 10 minutes from Hampstead!!!

dukedogsmom
08-29-2004, 06:24 PM
AW!! I was just there in January! I could have visited. Shoot. I'll be up that way around Christmas. I'll be sure to let you know, ok? That will be really neat. I'll get to meet you and Samantha. What an honor. Shall we do a mini Christmas party?

Samantha Puppy
08-29-2004, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by dukedogsmom
AW!! I was just there in January! I could have visited. Shoot. I'll be up that way around Christmas. I'll be sure to let you know, ok? That will be really neat. I'll get to meet you and Samantha. What an honor. Shall we do a mini Christmas party? We definitely should! :)

What a small world. I almost fell out of my chair when I read Hampstead, MD. Most people in MD don't even know where it is (or that it even exists!). :)

Buddy Blaze Lover
08-29-2004, 07:12 PM
Lizzielou742, I couldn't agree with you more!!!!!! I live in Lexington currently, and it's the BEST town I've ever lived in! (I've lived in 5 towns/cities, 4 states!) I've only been here almost two years, but my family and I love it! That's so funny when I read your post...I know all about the smoking ban, KY Horse Park (LOVE it there!), Keeneland (LOVE it there too!), and Joseph Beth is the BEST bookstore!!!!!!!! (I spend hours at a time in there too, I LOVE it!!!) UK is cool too...I love going to basketball and football games too. What a small world! :D Hope you get back to Lexington soon!

~KT

kingrattus
08-29-2004, 08:25 PM
My Fav town would be my home town, Smiths Falls/Ontario/Canada..

Its a dying town (poor, has been the #1 worst & most dangerouse town in all of Canada for over 20 years), but I liked it for other reasons.
Yes there was NOTHING to do in the town, but I use to hang in the forest for hours upon hours with RB Max. We would chase the deer, rabbits, & other critters we met up with. I would go snake hunting (its just seeing how many snakes u can catch, no killing involved & all were released). We would walk for miles & miles & miles. We usually left the trails & went hardcore into the forest.

Had no worries about getting lost cause I knew I would have to go South to get back into town & I had a cumpuss on me just incase. But I never got lost, I just had to tell Max lets go home & I would fallow home all the way back into town.

Miss the good lod days.

I can't do that here in the city, cause its easier to get lost & there r some really bad people in the bush here & I no longer have a dog. & Rob wont let me go anywhere without him or his younger bro. after that girl was gang raped ablock away from our house.

Aspen and Misty
08-29-2004, 08:48 PM
I've only Lived in Loyalsock PA my whole life.

I love it here. It is so small and homely like. I know my way around the town REALLY well so I know I can never get lost. My friends live within blocks. We have some nice restauraunts (SP) and some nice things to do like Bowlinglanes, enough to keep us happy, enough not to make us feel smothered. I guess though, in my comunity that Loyalsock.williamsport is considered the "big city". HA HA.

We are surounded by the Apalachion MTs. It's only about an hour walk to the top of the MT where you can sit and overlook the whole city. We live right by the Susquehanna river (Float your fanny in the suquahanny!) so it's nice to take the dog's swiming. Everyone is SO nice, you can fall off your bike and twelve neighbords will come outside to see if you are ok, even if they DONT' know you! There is very little crim in our city, so you can sit out in your front yard brushing your bunny at 3 am and not have to worry. We are in a valley so we get close to know bad storms, we have only had ONE tornado (that I can remember) since I moved here in 1990 (born in middle town, moved when I was 2).

I just love this place, the weather is great. :) Cold winters, hot summers. By the time one ends you are ready for the next. We have the BEST Falls, they are so mild and all the leaves changing on the MTs!

Ashley

lizzielou742
08-29-2004, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by Buddy Blaze Lover
Lizzielou742, I couldn't agree with you more!!!!!! I live in Lexington currently, and it's the BEST town I've ever lived in! (I've lived in 5 towns/cities, 4 states!) I've only been here almost two years, but my family and I love it! That's so funny when I read your post...I know all about the smoking ban, KY Horse Park (LOVE it there!), Keeneland (LOVE it there too!), and Joseph Beth is the BEST bookstore!!!!!!!! (I spend hours at a time in there too, I LOVE it!!!) UK is cool too...I love going to basketball and football games too. What a small world! :D Hope you get back to Lexington soon!

~KT

That's so funny!! I lived on campus for three years, in an apt. on State St. for a year, and one on High St. for 6 months. I loved it!! It wish I could move back now. I live in the east end of Louisville now. Too much traffic, highways, too expensive.

Are you a Cats fan now?? ;)

:D

Twisterdog
08-29-2004, 10:24 PM
Fort Collins, Colorado

Buddy Blaze Lover
08-30-2004, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by lizzielou742
That's so funny!! I lived on campus for three years, in an apt. on State St. for a year, and one on High St. for 6 months. I loved it!! It wish I could move back now. I live in the east end of Louisville now. Too much traffic, highways, too expensive.

Are you a Cats fan now?? ;)

:D

Wow, I know where State St. and High St. are too...that's so neat you went to UK! Have you always live in KY, and if not, where did you live before? Oh, and yes, I actually am a Cats fan now...I especially love the basketball in Rupp Arena! For players, I like Kelenna Azubuike (spelling?) (and my dad met him too!), and Chuck Hayes. Do you have favorite players?? :D

lizzielou742
08-30-2004, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by Buddy Blaze Lover
Wow, I know where State St. and High St. are too...that's so neat you went to UK! Have you always live in KY, and if not, where did you live before? Oh, and yes, I actually am a Cats fan now...I especially love the basketball in Rupp Arena! For players, I like Kelenna Azubuike (spelling?) (and my dad met him too!), and Chuck Hayes. Do you have favorite players?? :D

BBL, I would PM you but your PM option is turned off... :(

I grew up in Dayton, OH, went to UK from 1999-2003. Tayshaun Prince (plays for the Detriot Pistons now) was always good...Azubuike & Hayes are HOTT!!! ;) :D

davidpizzica
08-30-2004, 02:40 PM
My favorite city is PITTSBURGH, Pa.! It ha just about everything there! It is a big city, but it is so compact that it doesn't have that "big city" feel. I think that some of you still have the idea that Pittsburgh is a smoky city because of the steel industry, but all of that is changed. With the steel industry almost gone, it is a much cleaner city. The view from Mt. Washington is spectacular! Also when you come through the Fort Pitt tunnels, you see a breath taking view of almost the whole downtowm! That's why I love Pittsburgh!

slleipnir
08-30-2004, 02:44 PM
I've lived in the same town all my life lol XD I like it here though

sirrahved
08-30-2004, 03:17 PM
For my first 18 years of life I lived in Lakeview, Michigan (population 1,112). It's a podunk town, and I only miss a few people, but not the area.

I then moved to Ann Arbor, Michigan for college. I enjoyed many things about this town, but it's really only fitting for college-aged people. I wouldn't move back.

I now live in Fort Wayne, Indiana. I love it! It's a big small town with lots of things to do. I'll miss Fort Wayne when we move.

I have at least two more towns to live in in my future, but in all probability a lot more than that. With Jason's profession (pastor) it is likely that we will move a few times.

Desert Arabian
08-30-2004, 03:20 PM
I have been in Wisconsin all my life. I plan to never move out, well except for 2 years when I have to go to Bel-Rea in Colorado, but I will be moving back to Wisconsin afterwards hopefully. I am thinking about moving to Montana though.

davidpizzica
08-30-2004, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by sirrahved
For my first 18 years of life I lived in Lakeview, Michigan (population 1,112). It's a podunk town, and I only miss a few people, but not the area.

I then moved to Ann Arbor, Michigan for college. I enjoyed many things about this town, but it's really only fitting for college-aged people. I wouldn't move back.

I now live in Fort Wayne, Indiana. I love it! It's a big small town with lots of things to do. I'll miss Fort Wayne when we move.

I have at least two more towns to live in in my future, but in all probability a lot more than that. With Jason's profession (pastor) it is likely that we will move a few times. Sirrahaved, My nephew just becme a pastor of a church near Ft. Wayne! I forget the name of the town, but it is a long indian name If that is any hint to you!

snappy
08-30-2004, 03:39 PM
I have liked/disliked all the places I have lived. Born in Absecon, N.J. - I reallly miss the ocean and the people and the food there. Moved during High School to the Dayton, Ohio area - hated it. Not because of any one thing - just because I moved from all my life time friends over 600 miles away and everybody in the new HS thought I had a funny accent (I thought it was them who talked funny :) )

Left there and came to Columbus, Ohio to attend the Ohio State University. After graduation, I was to broke to move anywhere else, so I stayed. Now I have friends, a house in a quaint part of town (german village area) and I like it ok. But I really miss the salt water!

For a town I visited one time and felt right at home - San Fransico is the place. I felt comfortable as soon as I walked off the plane there. And I have only been there once.

Buddy Blaze Lover
08-30-2004, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by lizzielou742
BBL, I would PM you but your PM option is turned off... :(

I grew up in Dayton, OH, went to UK from 1999-2003. Tayshaun Prince (plays for the Detriot Pistons now) was always good...Azubuike & Hayes are HOTT!!! ;) :D

I'll turn my PM on so you can e-mail...I just had it off for a while since we didn't have any virus protection, and now we do! So I'll look forward to hearing from you! ;)