PDA

View Full Version : Todays trial run with Midnights former "Mom"

Laura's Babies
08-28-2004, 05:43 PM
As I had asked her to, she came by and lightly knocked on the door. I went and picked up Midnight and answered the door with her in my arms. Neighbor petted her then I gave her to her and told her to pet and talk to her a minute and give her back and walk out the door... She did all I had asked her to do. Midnight was horrified when I handed her to her former "Mom" and was just so pitiful. She handed her back to me and walked out the door, stopping outside the door to wave and tell her bye bye. I held her awhile telling her she was OK and took her in the kitchen and gave her treats and then she was OK..

Neighbor came back later and Midnight was already not in sight but she (neighbor) stayed a long, long time, playing with Giz and Amy, petting Chester and she eventually made Midnight jealous I think and she came out. They played with the feathers on a wand awhile and Midnight came to me, I petted and reassured her and she stayed out. Neighbor pretty much ignored Midnight except for when Midnight went to her to play (just as I told the neighbor to). When she was ready to go, she told them each good bye and when she told Midnight, Midnight was ready to bolt to hide again.... she was ready to, but she didn't.. I think it will take a few more of these visits for her to understand and then Midnight will be OK with her coming over.

I just hate how scared she is of her former Mom coming over, fearing she will have to go back over to her. The neighbor can't understand why Mid is SO afraid of her and I explained it to her that it is that she is happy HERE and does not want to GO.. (Yea, I am a nice person so I was nice in explaining it in a "nice" way) She said "Well, I found her on your doorstep and she was suppose to be yours to start with!".

catcrazylady
08-28-2004, 05:51 PM
If I were your neighbor I would be embarrassed beyond belief!! I would be ashamed that a former cat of mine hated and feared me that much. I'm shocked that she is so willing to do the things you ask her to.
I think it's great that you are helping Midnight realize that she won't ever have to go back there.
Poor baby really hated living with that woman didn't she? I think the one smart thing your neighbor has said is that Midnight belongs with you!!;) :D

Laura's Babies
08-28-2004, 06:00 PM
Lisa, I really don't think that woman understands the proper care and stuff of pets. She admits she IS brain damaged from being hit by a car as a small child and is on disability for that. She does show a lot of concern for Midnight and honestly seems to care about her because she drops by to check on her a lot and seems brokenhearted that she is so afraid of her.. You or I WOULD be embarrassed but she isn't because she don't have a brain like ours.

OH note this.... she helped me get some GOOD video of Amy playing on video today for me to post on PT when I have time to edit it. Shows her really GOOD in play mode! (Amy)

catcrazylady
08-28-2004, 06:09 PM
Laura maybe it's a good thing that she is hanging around you and the babies. I'm sure you are helping to educate her and hopefully she will now take good care of any future cats she gets.
You're a great person to be so patient and kind with her.:) :)

kimlovescats
08-28-2004, 06:10 PM
I think you are going way above and beyond the call of duty, Laura to even care about your neighbor like this. Midnight is happy with you, and she will never have to go back to that lady.;)

catnapper
08-28-2004, 06:38 PM
You are definately more patient and tolerant than the neighbor deserves! Granted she has brain damage, she should then understand that having anf caring for animals is not something she should do. Gosh, I'd be horrified to see an animal react so fearfully of me. Kudos for being so patient and working with your neighbor t make Midnight acceot her as a visitor that she'll never have to leave with.

Laura's Babies
08-28-2004, 07:30 PM
SOMEBODY has to educate her on pets! She has a poodle and remember, she kept one of Midnights kittens! She gets a lecture everytime she comes over about the dangers for pets outside and unaltered pets, I have even printed out material off of the web so she don't have to take my word for it.. If she insists on having pets, she needs to know HOW to take care of them... Again today, I threatened to take her kicking and screaming if I had to, down to the shelter so she could see for herself the importance of spaying or neutering and just how many unwanted beautiful animals there are out there. That is the main reason why I tolerate her....for the animals she will end up with during her life.

catcrazylady
08-28-2004, 07:40 PM
Is she going to get her cat fixed? Is her dog fixed? Are both animals indoor/outdoor with no supervision?

Laura's Babies
08-28-2004, 08:55 PM
Her poodle and it's (app. year old) puppy stay inside. She says the kitten won't use a litter box so she goes out to use the bathroom...(she said the same thing about Midnight but she has never had a problem using it here)....but she says she isn't out long. I am betting she puts her out just like she did Midnight but she does not leave the yard.. Don't worry, I am preaching to her about it being outside at all!! AND about having her "fixed".. I told her my grand daughters kitten (Remember Stash ?)is in heat right now and she is the same age as those kittens Midnight had. Stash goes in Monday to be fixed. The neighbor just refuses to believe a kitten that young can come in heat, breed and have babies!

Anyhow, her answer to having her fixed is right now she has UTI and soon as it is cleared up, they are going to do it but the vet didn't want to do it until this is cleared up. I had printed out and gave her a lot of stuff I found on the web about what age they can breed, how many heat cycles ect that a cat can have before she gave me Midnight and how soon after having kittens because she really just don't seem to want to believe me..

Oh, I do not like that name Midnight, to me it just dosen't fit her so I have been getting her use to Samantha, petting her and calling that name while I do.. She has started looking up at me from across the room now when I say "Samantha!!" Besides, she needs a new name to go with her new life and something befitting a girl as pretty as she is getting. I am going to try it for a few days and see how it works with her..... I think Chester thinks we have ANOTHER cat in the house because when I call her from across the room, he looks all around the room like he is looking for another person or animal....

catmandu
08-29-2004, 11:09 AM
The main thing,is tghat Midnight,has a Furr E er Home,where she will be loved,and appreciated! I have Cats,who visit,as they get attention,and food,and Cat Nip,and the respect,taht they dont get,at thier homes! Bless You,for giving Midnight,a Home,where she,will matter!The Found Cats,Strays and I SALUTE YOU!

QueenScoopalot
08-29-2004, 01:22 PM
I'm glad you are working at educating this woman about proper care, and the importance of spaying/neutering as well. It's so sad the poor SAMANTHA (I like that name much better) has such a terrible fear of her still. I guess they have a hard time forgetting bad things. Maybe the neighbor can bring some treats over like chicken or something to allow her to make friends with the gang. Still doubt Samantha will accept her attempts anytime soon, but it's worth a try. Give her a kiss for me, and tell her she looks like velvet! ;)

NoahsMommy
08-29-2004, 01:25 PM
You are a bigger person than I am. I don't know if I'd be able to be nice to her or allow her near Midnight. ;)

But you needed to and that's great. Hopefully she'll learn how to properly care for and love her animals soon.

Laura's Babies
08-29-2004, 02:14 PM
NM... I hope that in being nice to her, it will improve the lives of any future pets she may have. Someone has to teach her and I will work with her until I get fed up....then I'll tell her where to go!! :eek:

QSL.. She is doing real good in reconizing her new name so far. We are making better progress with "Samantha" than I had expected. I still use "Midnight" now and then out of habit but I think I need to so she will realize it IS her that I am talking to.. Which she does anyway......Poor Chester STILL looks all over for this new kitty he thinks that is here named Samantha.. he is having a harder time getting use to it than she is!! :D