PDA

View Full Version : Two Tiny Rescues

catcrazylady
08-28-2004, 05:40 PM
Well, stage 1 accomplished! Of the three little kittens I was only able to get two of them so far. I'm just thankful that I got the two that I was most concerned about.
The little buff one is limping on his/her front leg. He can walk on it but he limps. There is no swelling but he seems to turn it in a little. Kind of like pigeon toed. I don't think it's anything serious, at least I hope not.
The tiny gray one concerns me the most. She is half the size of the others. She walks with her back end pulled down. I thought at first it might be her hip but I'm not sure what the problem is. They both are eating very well but of course they are very scared.
The little buff is terrifed of being held but is docile when you hold him. He almost enjoys it. The little gray is not so happy about it yet. I'm letting them chill for awhile in the cage before I bother them anymore.
I'm concerned about the litter box though. Will they know to use it? should I put some dirt in their with the litter since that is what they are used to? I have never managed to get any of my ferals in the house while they were this small so the litter box thing is new to me when they are this tiny.
By the way...the he she thing is my guess. I'm calling the buff he because it looks just like Sammy did when he was a baby. I'm calling the gray one a she just because it's so tiny. I really have no clue what they are yet.

Ok, I know...shut up and post the pictures!

Here is the sad baby
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid137/p1938e7a5df33576669b87e9a6182a298/f73e9d2b.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid137/p5425995612382dec5361e4a14eea1c1d/f73e9d17.jpg

Buff baby with a dirty nose (we will take care of that later)
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid137/p3c3fecc3030d1db2fb7fdd1a141dd7e0/f73e9cfe.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid137/pe06b1cfac16826ee2f76c7ee4a765345/f73e9d11.jpg

The front leg isn't stopping him from teetering on the edge to check out the litter box
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid137/pd96a1dae6a60af505f055355c1fef2fa/f73e9d21.jpg

Of course, while I was taking pictures Magoo had to "see" what was living in his old cage now.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid137/p21a770d2a4b32779132fceac1c164b5f/f73e9d05.jpg

I'm feeding them kitten chow soaked with KMR. Any other suggestions to help build them up?

rosethecopycat
08-28-2004, 05:49 PM
Royal Canin Baby Cat.

A/D with KMR mixed in

A/D with Pedialyte mixed in

What's thier age?

Thank you for helping them.
I'm sure with a good amount of handling, they'll become real cuddly.

Laura's Babies
08-28-2004, 05:52 PM
I got tears in my eyes Lisa! YOU GOT 2 OF THEM!!! Magoo will give them the scoop on how you are only going to help them and they will settle in, in no time! They look big enough to understand the litter box thing. Just keep food in there for them to eat when they are hungry and watch them close....as you will be doing anyway!!

My vet told me one time to feed my poor ones chicken livers, don't know if they still reccommend that or not but I would feed the wee one baby food along with the cat food to put some meat on her bones...

I am so excited for you that you got them so soon! Two less you have to worry about out on the streets late at night. GOD BLESS YOU!! ((((HUGS)))))) from me and ((((HUGS)))) from those babies!

kimlovescats
08-28-2004, 05:55 PM
Lisa they are adorable ... and they need you so badly!!! Thank you for taking these babies in!!!:D Little ones really love jar baby food ... just the plain Chicken. At this age, they really can't get too spoiled, and they need all the nourishment they can get! I do think it is good that you are also mixing in some KMR for the much needed vitamins! It sounds like you know what you are doing, so I'm sure all will be fine! ;)

Oh BTW ... just put litter in their boxes ... so they learn right off ... they have an inborn nature to bury their wastes, so they will use it!;)

catnapper
08-28-2004, 05:56 PM
Look at those B-I-G ears! They look sooo scared! Poor things. Are these kittens from the same mom as the rest of your gang?

catcrazylady
08-28-2004, 05:57 PM
I don't know how old they are but I'm guessing about 5 weeks only because of how well they are managing food. The buff has no problems with the dry but the little gray seems to have some trouble swallowing it. She does it but I think it is still too big for her. Soaking it is helping but she does better with wet food. I think I'm going to get some baby food to keep her eating.

edit: Kim and Kim posted while I was. Thanks Kim for reinforcing the baby food thing. I thought that was what I needed. Thanks also for the encouragement.

The other Kim ;) : The mother from all of my gang hasn't been seen since she brought the last three and that has been about two years now. I'm sure she has gone to RB.:(

K & L
08-28-2004, 06:13 PM
Yippeeee!! Don't you just feel so much better now? ASAP I would get them examined by the vet. They are just too adorable. Thanks for caring and taking them in.

catcrazylady
08-28-2004, 06:19 PM
In order to get free vet care from the shelter I'm going to have to hold out until Thursday. I would rather have her check them anyway since I want to get them into the shelter system as soon as possible. I will foster them until they are ready for spay/nueter. If I think they need to be seen sooner I will certainly get them in. Hopefully the shelter vet will come in one night sooner and I can run them up there to be tested and checked. I will keep everyone posted.

edit: Yes Lisa I do feel a little better. Eight more to go and I will be really relieved!

Lacey
08-28-2004, 06:25 PM
Oh! I am so in love with the little buff! Just look at those ears! If he gets a case of airplane ears, he just might be able to take off! :D So glad you caught these two! Good luck nursing them to full health!

K & L
08-28-2004, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by catcrazylady
In order to get free vet care from the shelter I'm going to have to hold out until Thursday. I would rather have her check them anyway since I want to get them into the shelter system as soon as possible. I will foster them until they are ready for spay/nueter. If I think they need to be seen sooner I will certainly get them in. Hopefully the shelter vet will come in one night sooner and I can run them up there to be tested and checked. I will keep everyone posted.

edit: Yes Lisa I do feel a little better. Eight more to go and I will be really relieved!

Sounds like you've got it under control and going the best route! We've been getting one cat a week, but hey, makes one more out of the breeding cycle! Just take it a day/week at a time. Now remember next time I'm frustrated, remind me of these words!:D

catcrazylady
08-28-2004, 06:55 PM
Thanks Lisa and your right about taking it one at a time. I do feel some pressure though about getting the third kitten and the momma cat before she gets pregnant again! Then the two young strays need to be done soon so they don't get too old to be socialized. By then the other mother cat should be bringing her babies along and at some point I have to snatch the adult males!!:eek: :D
NO PRESSURE!;) :D

lizzielou742
08-28-2004, 09:06 PM
I am so glad they are in your care now! They're all head and ears, tiny little bodies. When we got Sophie, she was thin enough that her hipbones were sticking out. But she fattened up within about 10 days so that I couldn't reallyfeel them anymore. I bet these guys will too! Good luck with everything. I'm so glad you rescued them!! :D

christa
08-28-2004, 09:44 PM
What sweet babies!!! I really hope that they warm up to you soon! There's no telling what they've been through! I'm sure that they'll start to gain some weight and HOPEFULLY start feeling better.

GOD BLESS YOU, LISA!!! You're 2 awesome!

And BTW, MAGOO IS SOOOOO SWEET!!! He was checking on the babies, like a good little helper!!! Magoo is such a doll!!! WE JUST LOVE HIM!!!

catcrazylady
08-28-2004, 09:56 PM
Up date:
I let the kittens eat and take a long nap and then I went in after them. The little gray one didn't fight me at all this time and I loved and snuggled her for a while. I passed her over to hubby and he held her too. She seemed relaxed and kind of dozed.
The buff is going to be a love muffin! No problem holding that one. I loved him for bit and then passed him over to hubby. Hubby let him walk around on his tummy and I swear that baby climbed right up to hubby's face and head butted him!! The next thing we knew he was purring up a storm. I think this one is going to be a real sweetie!
I think the little gray will too but I think she is kind of sickly. I just hope she's not in pain with her back legs. I think she's just sleepy and glad to have a comfortable dry place to sleep and her belly is full.
The third kitten looks so sad on the porch alone but everything I have tried has been in vain. That one is smart and slick. It's going to prove to be a challenge but I will win!!!

Thanks to everyone for the nice comments. I hope your ready to pick me up when I have to give them up!:(

christa
08-28-2004, 09:59 PM
The third kitten looks so sad on the porch alone but everything I have tried has been in vain. That one is smart and slick. It's going to prove to be a challenge but I will win!!!

That third kitten doesn't know what he (or she) is missing! It will be so happy once you catch it though, and it gets a belly full of nourishment!!! Poor babies . . . but I'm soooooooo glad to hear that they're so loving already!!!

slick
08-28-2004, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by catcrazylady
Hubby let him walk around on his tummy and I swear that baby climbed right up to hubby's face and head butted him!! The next thing we knew he was purring up a storm. I think this one is going to be a real sweetie!
Oh CCL, I just sat and read this whole thread over twice. This comment brought on the tears. :( Bless you for taking in these two little sweeties. I'm sure in time the third one will surrender. Please, you must keep posting pictures. :)

To the Magooster: I know your cage is being used right now but soon these two will see you as a mentor and you must teach them the ropes and make them realize how lucky they are to be rescued by your Meowmie, for you were once in their paws, scared and alone and unsure of your surroundings. Promise me, OK?

catcrazylady
08-28-2004, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by slick

To the Magooster: I know your cage is being used right now but soon these two will see you as a mentor and you must teach them the ropes and make them realize how lucky they are to be rescued by your Meowmie, for you were once in their paws, scared and alone and unsure of your surroundings. Promise me, OK?

Slick,
Let me tell you about Magoo and the babies. He seems either amazed by them or by the fact that his old home is back out and he's on the other side. I'm not sure which. He smells the KMR soaked kitten chow in there and he wants it BAD! So this smart little boy sticks his paw through the cage and puts it right in the plate and lets his hairy foot soak up some KMR. He then cups his paw and pulls it out, never touching the floor, and proceeds to lick and drink it out of his little hairy cup!!!:eek: I was blown away once again by his ingenuity. I finally had to move the plate out of his reach so the kittens would have some left! What a boy!!!:D :D :D

slick
08-28-2004, 10:33 PM
OMG CCL, I'm keeling over with laughter at that story :D :D

No wonder the kitties are unsure; here's this big hairy white thing reaching in between the bars, scooping up what should be their dinner. :D :D I'm sorry but that visualization has me rolling on the floor with laughter. :D :D Oh God, I envy you.

NoahsMommy
08-29-2004, 01:13 AM
Congrats on getting/saving these two little bitties! :)

I'll be crossing my fingers their vet check up goes perfect and little grey girl can get some more strength.

Soooo cute!! :)

jenluckenbach
08-29-2004, 05:37 AM
What adorable babies. I am glad you have them now. And Magoo continues to crack me up. :D

catcrazylady
08-29-2004, 06:47 AM
New pictures from last night.

After another love session and a late dinner the babies were very tired. This morning the llittle buff love muffin had to ahve some love and play. He purred the whole time. He is going to be a wonderful pet for somebody. Any takers???;) :D

Our bellies are full and we are sooooo tired!
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid137/p41da593246540865306726bcfe10a609/f73cd276.jpg

Cleaning her little paw
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid137/p35a96fbed42ead47c6825ef61108af15/f73cd268.jpg

We are now done for the night.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid137/pa34c52ca75e7f2c2883bc81ec9735ba4/f73cd245.jpg

We are going to have to do the dreaded ear cleaning today. The buff has very dirty ears and probably mites. Of course, as big as his ears are I wouldn't be surprised to find a 747 in there!!:D :D

jenluckenbach
08-29-2004, 07:26 AM
Doesn't that last picture just say
"AHH! satisfied, comfortable and well fed. This is the life"

Ally Cat's Mommy
08-29-2004, 08:07 AM
AWWW they have certainly ended up in the best possible place!! Thanks for giving them such a great start. Good luck trapping the other kitten plus the Mom!

smokey the elder
08-29-2004, 08:41 AM
LOL about the 747 comment! They are so cute.

The gray one might have cerebellar hypoplasia, and that's why her heinie's dragging.

I'm glad that they are getting friendly already!

catcrazylady
08-29-2004, 11:41 AM
I'm calling the little gray one Mouse because that's what she looks like to me. She is eating but such a tiny amount. She is just so weak and I think she is basically starving. I'm guessing that with her back legs she couldn't keep up with momma all the time and didn't get enough food. At least that's what I hope it is. She drinks a lot of water though and I guess that's good. I am feeding them a half jar of chicken baby food with about a tablespoon of KMR mixed in. How many times a day should I do that?
Work is rolling around soon and we will be gone all day. Will they be ok if I just leave dry for them while we are gone? Mouse really needs building up and I'm worried about her. I wish I had someone to care for them during the day. I really think she needs something offered to her every few hours but I also don't want to cause any runny poo.
Suggestions please!!

QueenScoopalot
08-29-2004, 11:53 AM
Gee...I've been so busy, I missed this big event! :eek: Congrats on the two babies. Did you use a trap to catch them, or grabbed them by hand? If you have access to a trap, put the beige one in a carrier by himself and cover the carrier, set behind the trap with a cover over the carrier, and the back part of the trap, and let him howl! Use a bit of food at the door, and more just past the trigger, then watch from a window inside. You can use the same method to catch the mom cat as well. The best bait for a mom is her own kittens. ;) Be sure and cover the trap right away once the last kitten goes in so it calms him/her right down. The two are such cuties!

Grace
08-29-2004, 05:52 PM
We've been out of town, and out of touch - where did these adorable creatures come from?

ADD: Ignore my question. I just came across your post about these two. If I lived closer, I would sure help you out. You're a good person.

moosmom
08-29-2004, 11:09 PM
Lisa,

What precious little kitties!! I have a hunch the orange one is a boy. Most all orange cats are male. At least that's what I've been told.

You might want to try some Nutri-Cal. They love the taste and it's loaded with vitamins and protein that will help put weight on these guys.

You did a great job there, girl! I'm keeping my fingers crossed that you'll be able to trap the other kitten and mama. PLEASE let us know how you make out.