PDA

View Full Version : I think my Spence is sick

purrley
11-15-2001, 07:30 AM
I'm really worried this morning. Spencer is a really throw-uppy cat but this morning he just seemed more listless and really not his normal self. Couldn't get him to come down to eat - he's usually the first down the stairs. He's haunching on my bed and didn't want to be touched. Last night he was perched on my side as I was lying on the couch and I thought he was snoring, but seemed his nose was a big stuffy. His fur doesn't look nice and smooth like normal either - Looks like vet time - I better get him in before the Thanksgiving holiday. Wish him well friends - thanks in advance.

[ November 15, 2001: Message edited by: purrley ]

purrley
11-15-2001, 08:00 AM
He's having some bouts with diaherra and it's really, really, stinkey!!! He's breath is really stinkey too.

zippy-kat
11-15-2001, 08:25 AM
Poor guy--he's in my thoughts and prayers!!

Cougie Wechsler
11-15-2001, 08:37 AM
I am praying for both of you :)

Phred
11-15-2001, 08:59 AM
Purrley ~ All those changes and symptoms sound ominous :(. "Before Thanksgiving" sounds a little distant. I think I'd try for Today or Tomorrow to visit the Vet!

We'll cross all our Pawz and Fingers for Spence.

purrley
11-15-2001, 09:15 AM
You're right Phred - I'm going to try and get an appointment for tomorrow morning.

purrley
11-15-2001, 10:05 AM
Looks like the vet can see him today at 12:45. I really need to find out what's goin on - I'm really worried :(

tatsxxx11
11-15-2001, 04:31 PM
Oh Purrley. Just saw your post and am so worried about you and Spencer. Please let us know how he is. Praying for the best. All my love to you and Spencer. Sandra, Mr. B and Oliver.

Cynthia
11-15-2001, 04:41 PM
Dear Purrley and Spencer,
We're all hoping you feel better soon!! Keep us posted, we'll be thinking about you!
Cindy, Stump, and Emmett

4 feline house
11-15-2001, 08:21 PM
Hugs and prayers for Spencer!

wolflady
11-15-2001, 08:56 PM
OMG how did I miss this one??!! Purrley, I'm thinking about you and your Spence...I sure hope he's ok!! Poor guy has had so many things happen already!! Please let us know how the vet appt went!! I'm thinking about ya with all fingers and pawz crossed!! **hugs**

purrley
11-16-2001, 06:39 AM
Hi All this is a Spencer update:
Turns out Spence has very inflammed gums and some swelling in his limp nodes. The vet put him on Amoxicillin for 10 days, gave him some medicine to help with the diaherra and some worm medicine just in case he's got a bug. She checked him out thoroughly, everything else is fine, his temperature was normal. Wanted me to try and feed him separate from the others for a while to watch how much he eats and keeps down. This will work out since I'm home all next week - I can keep a close eye on him. Thanks for your thoughts and prayers - looks like we got things under control as of now :D

zippy-kat
11-16-2001, 08:53 AM
Hope the kitty starts feelin' better ASAP!! Give him a good ol' ear skritch for me!

[ November 16, 2001: Message edited by: zippy-kat ]

Uniqueviking
11-16-2001, 10:07 AM
Get well soon Spencer and best wishes!!!

Logan
11-16-2001, 11:28 AM
Purrley,
I missed this yesterday. I'm sorry your Spence is under the weather. :( Hope he bounces back quickly. I know how hard it is to get those antibiotics in them too! Good luck with that. And keep us posted on how he is doing.
Logan

wolflady
11-16-2001, 11:47 AM
Awwwww...poor sweet Spence boy!!! Wonder what caused this?? I sure hope the medication works...do you have to pill him or give him liquids?? How is he taking to that??? I sure hope he gets to feeling better soon! Lots of hugs to your and Spence! I'm thinking about ya! Please keep us posted.

AmberLee
11-16-2001, 11:48 AM
Dear Purrley and Spence,

:eek: :( So sorry to hear that Spence isn't well. Glad you caught it early, and will be able to give him extra attention next week. {{{Cyber hugs to you both.}}}

A.L. and Cassy and Livvy

purrley
11-16-2001, 12:03 PM
Marius' Mom - Spence is taking the liquid Amox. this time - he usually takes the pills but I thought I'd try the liquid. Gave him some this a.m. -he's got a pink mouth now :D
and some pink fur along the sides of his mouth :D :D

[ November 16, 2001: Message edited by: purrley ]

Maresche
11-16-2001, 12:23 PM
I've needed to give my girls amoxicillin a couple of times I definitely like giving a liquid rather than a pill (and so do my girls :rolleyes: ) It might be a little messier, but its less stressful for me and the cat.

We're all hoping you feel better soon Spence!!

From Maresche, Terra-chan, Misao-chan and Hana-chan

wolflady
11-16-2001, 12:31 PM
Yeah, I definitely think the liquids are much easier to give than the pills!! With Scooter and his serious UTI awhile back, I had to give him liquid meds 2 times a day!! He's not what you call a agreeable cat either :rolleyes: But, I would grab him and hold him like a baby, then take my hand over his head and place my fingers at the 'hinge' of his jaw...that would result in him opening up and saying 'ahhhhhhh....' for me. Then I would quickly stick the dropper in and squeeze toward the back of the throat. I got really good after a few trys and no pink mess! LOL LOL
I hope Spence gets to feeling better, and I'm so glad that you'll be able to be home with him all next week! **hugs** I'm thinking about you guys!!!

thelmalu99
11-16-2001, 01:01 PM
{{{{Purrley and Spence}}}}

Sorry I missed this yesterday too. Hope he feels better soon. Please keep us posted.
How's he feeling today?

purrley
11-16-2001, 01:04 PM
ThelmaLu - This morning he still acted like he didn't feel very well - wouldn't come down for breakfast again - think his mouth hurts. Hope the antibiotic helps. Fed him some baby food last night - he loved that!!!

thelmalu99
11-16-2001, 01:13 PM
Poor baby :( please give him a snuggle from me.

tatsxxx11
11-16-2001, 04:25 PM
Ah, little Spence. Glad you're feeling a bit better. In a day or two the medic. should really start helping. Give the boy a big hug and nuzzle from us :)

yorkster
11-16-2001, 05:31 PM
I missed this yesterday too- I am sorry to hear about Spence, and I hope he feels better soon with the antibiotics.
It makes me think about my kitty now- he has been throwing-up alot lately, and I know his gums/teeth are not the best. He seems like he feels really fine though.
Let us know how it goes the next few days with Spence- we will be thinking of you.

cr7clark
11-19-2001, 06:57 AM
How's Spence? Hope he's feeling lots better, hugs and kisses to both of you.

wolflady
11-19-2001, 12:40 PM
Yes, be sure to let us know how Spance is doing!! **hugs**

libracats
11-19-2001, 08:00 PM
Wow, I really missed this one. The antibiotics should help Spencer. They usually take a few days to work, especially with inflamation. I thought when I read your earlier post about bad breath that it might be something in his mouth.Please update us.
(((Hugs for Spencer)))

purrley
11-26-2001, 07:25 AM
Thanks for all your inquiries about my Spence. He's doing alot better since he finished his meds. He's still the little throw upper though - can't understand why he can't keep his dinner down. He eats like mad and then sits on the heater vent and barfs. Then goes back and eats some more. But he's done this for almost all the years he's been alive, so it doesn't concern me that much. He enjoyed having me home all last week - we spent a lot of time together although it was a real catch me if you can game when I was giving the meds. Can't understand why he just didn't love that cherry flavored amoxicilin :D :D

[ November 26, 2001: Message edited by: purrley ]

Pam
11-26-2001, 04:19 PM
I somehow missed this post but just wanted to add my best wishes for Spence for a complete recovery. I am glad he is starting to feel somewhat better. Here's hoping all will be just fine.

lizbud
11-26-2001, 07:12 PM
Purrley,
Gosh I'm so sorry to have missed this post
on Spence.I do hope he is felling better
by now..Believe me I know how stressful it
can be when our kittys are not feeling good.
Does you vet say anything about Spence's
habit of up-chucking after every meal?
Does he eat dry or wet food?
Spence is getting Special prayers from us..

tuxluvr
11-26-2001, 08:54 PM
wam hugs for Spence - it always makes me sad when our little friends don't feel well. Here's hoping for a speedy recovery