PDA

View Full Version : Beneful Dog Food...

swimma253
08-28-2004, 11:58 AM
I just bought the trial size of Beneful from walmart for 50 cents to see if Meeka likes it. Is it really as good as it says? It is made by Purina.... and thats what Meeka usually eats.

Thanks!

Carly

Uabassoon
08-28-2004, 12:04 PM
What version of Purina are you feeding Meeka now? Purina makes some good food and makes some bad foods, from what I heard beneful is one of the worst foods.

swimma253
08-28-2004, 12:06 PM
Really? I am feeding Meeka Purina One adult lifelong lamb and rice. Is this ok for her?

Uabassoon
08-28-2004, 12:08 PM
Purina One is good, if that's what you are feeding her right now then I wouldn't reccomend switching to Beneful. Purina One a lot better for her.

Kfamr
08-28-2004, 12:08 PM
Purina ONE is alot better quality than Beneful.
I'd recommed staying on Purina ONE. :)
Of course, as long as Meeka is doing good on it and is healthy, that's what's best for her!

swimma253
08-28-2004, 12:11 PM
Ok. Thanks guys! :) I think Im just going to give her this trial size bag for a treat... and then just keep her on Purina One. :)

BitsyNaceyDog
08-28-2004, 12:14 PM
I personally wouldn't feed it to my dog. Purina makes a lot of products both good and bad. "The Whole Dog Journal" called it one of the lowest quality foods, and said it has a lot of salt and sugar in it. It also said that it doesn't even come close to having the fresh meat and vegetables in it that it says. I don't have the article in front of me, I'll have to find it and tell you exactly what it sats.

One thing my vet said is that foods with a lot of food dye such as red #40 can cause cancer in dogs. Also many dogs (and cats) are becoming diabetic because of the great amount of sugar in so many of the foods.

I think I would go with Purina O.N.E. You can still get it at Wal-mart and it's a much better product.

micki76
08-28-2004, 12:19 PM
Beneful Original ingredients:
Ground yellow corn, chicken by-product meal, corn gluten meal, whole wheat flour, beef tallow preserved with mixed-tocopherols (source of Vitamin E), rice flour, beef, soy flour, sugar, sorbitol, tricalcium phosphate, water, animal digest, salt, phosphoric acid, potassium chloride, dicalcium phosphate, sorbic acid (a preservative), L-Lysine monohydrochloride, dried peas, dried carrots, calcium carbonate, calcium propionate (a preservative), choline chloride, vitamin supplements (E, A, B-12, D-3), added color (Yellow 5, Red 40, Yellow 6, Blue 2), DL-Methionine, zinc sulfate, glyceryl monostearate, ferrous sulfate, niacin, manganese sulfate, calcium pantothenate, riboflavin supplement, biotin, thiamine mononitrate, garlic oil, copper sulfate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, folic acid, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), calcium iodate, sodium selenite.
F-4090

Purina One Lamb & Rice ingredients:

Lamb, brewers rice, oat meal, corn gluten meal, poultry by-product meal (natural source of glucosamine), whole grain corn, animal fat preserved with mixed-tocopherols (form of Vitamin E), chicken cartilage (natural source of glucosamine), calcium carbonate, dicalcium phosphate, animal digest, potassium chloride, malted barley flour, salt, L-Lysine monohydrochloride, choline chloride, brewers dried yeast, zinc sulfate, Vitamin E supplement, ferrous sulfate, manganese sulfate, niacin, Vitamin A supplement, calcium pantothenate, thiamine mononitrate, copper sulfate, riboflavin supplement, Vitamin B-12 supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride, garlic oil, folic acid, Vitamin D-3 supplement, calcium iodate, biotin, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), sodium selenite.
L-4162

Purina One Beef & Rice ingredients:

Lamb, brewers rice, oat meal, corn gluten meal, poultry by-product meal (natural source of glucosamine), whole grain corn, animal fat preserved with mixed-tocopherols (form of Vitamin E), chicken cartilage (natural source of glucosamine), calcium carbonate, dicalcium phosphate, animal digest, potassium chloride, malted barley flour, salt, L-Lysine monohydrochloride, choline chloride, brewers dried yeast, zinc sulfate, Vitamin E supplement, ferrous sulfate, manganese sulfate, niacin, Vitamin A supplement, calcium pantothenate, thiamine mononitrate, copper sulfate, riboflavin supplement, Vitamin B-12 supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride, garlic oil, folic acid, Vitamin D-3 supplement, calcium iodate, biotin, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), sodium selenite.
L-4162

As you can see the main ingredient in Beneful is corn, a filler. And look how high up sugar is listed in the ingredients! :eek:

(Ingredients are listed 1st to last, high to low. In other words the higher on the list it is, the more of it there is in the food - the lower on the list, the less there is.)

swimma253
08-28-2004, 08:43 PM
Thanks for posting those ingredients Micki. Looks like theres hardly any calcium in Beneful and a ton of sugar and corn!

Im difenately gonna stick to Purina One.

Uabassoon
08-28-2004, 08:45 PM
Purina One Beef & Rice ingredients:

L-4162

Where's the beef? :eek:

LorraineO
08-28-2004, 08:58 PM
I thought lucy was going to kick me when I tried giving her a sample of Beneful,, it was free,, thank goodness,, because it got a free toss into the garbage!!!

BitsyNaceyDog
08-28-2004, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by Uabassoon

I think she accidentally posted the lamb and rice ingredients twice.

micki76
08-28-2004, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by Uabassoon

Oops! Fubared that one, Laura! :D :o

Here's the Purina One Beef & Rice ingredients:

Beef, brewers rice, whole grain corn, corn gluten meal, poultry by-product meal (natural source of glucosamine), oat meal, beef tallow preserved with mixed-tocopherols (source of Vitamin E), whole grain wheat, fish meal, natural flavor, defluorinated phosphate, chicken cartilage (natural source of glucosamine), potassium chloride, salt, L-Lysine monohydrochloride, choline chloride, vitamin supplements (E, A, B-12, D-3), zinc sulfate, ferrous sulfate, manganese sulfate, niacin, calcium carbonate, calcium pantothenate, thiamine mononitrate, copper sulfate, riboflavin supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride, garlic oil, folic acid, calcium iodate, biotin, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), sodium selenite.

buckner
08-28-2004, 10:41 PM
There're two varieties of Beneful. One is mostly the meat kind and also contains more veggies. The other kind contains almost no meat (I believe it's strictly a no-meat dog food). We feed our dog the mostly meat Beneful, and she scarfs it up like no other. Our vet said that Beneful was a good dog food, as long as we stuck with the one she's on. The ingredients you posted were not for the one we give her. I guess it's all a preference, and what your dog likes. I see no reason in taking a dog food that our dog likes away from her, especially since she's doing good on it. Now, my family just needs to stop giving into her sad puppy eyes when they're eating all the REAL meat and food.