PDA

View Full Version : Does this make you mad???

chocolatepuppy
08-28-2004, 06:01 AM
In my Sat. paper this morning:
PUPPIES-father St. Bernard mother AKC yellow lab, bred *purposely* for great disposition and intelligence, loves kids.
So these people don't know that there's dogs being PTS right down the road from them because they don't have a home! :mad: :mad: :mad:

LorraineO
08-28-2004, 03:54 PM
I guess if ppl are gonna breed,, they will,,, specialty dogs like labradoodles are popular,,, I just hope that if they breed,, thye better have homes for them.... I think its silly,,, the paying thousands for them,, but whatever ya wanna do....

chocolatepuppy
08-28-2004, 04:06 PM
I feel that for every puppy born there's another killed off at the pound. I'm not talking about responsible breeders. But why *purposely* breed two different purebreds? I just don't get it. :(

*LabLoverKEB*
08-28-2004, 04:09 PM
:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: Stupid people.

Shelteez2
08-28-2004, 08:40 PM
I've heard of "labernese" being bred and used as guide dogs. There are a few in Eastern Canada I believe.

Not agreeing or disagreeing, this post just reminded me of that.

Twisterdog
08-28-2004, 08:46 PM
This makes me FURIOUS. Idiots. :mad:

chocolatepuppy
08-28-2004, 08:56 PM
Shelteez, I've heard of them crossing Golden Retrievers with Labrador Retrievers for use as guide dogs. That's great. And if you heard of this cross(Saints/Labs) for that purpose, that's fine too. But these people are simply selling/giving away these dogs in the local newspaper, certainly wouldn't be for a guide dog, I'm sure.

Iilo
08-28-2004, 08:57 PM
I've heard of Labernese being bred and used as guide dogs.

Just a bit on that subject --
A lot of guide dog orgs. crossbreed dog breeds that traditionally throw big litters with other dog breeds that throw big litters. This is so they're able to raise as many as possible in a a timely fashion. I'm not saying it's right or wrong since I haven't decided for myself yet... I know that a lot of puppies raised in the program I was in didn't make it to final graduation, so just by the law of statistics you'd have to start out with a huge number of puppies to get maybe 10 guide dogs.
There are a lot of smaller orgs out there trying to place dogs they think are better suited for the jobs even though they don't throw large litters. Personally, I think we could do better than labs for guide dogs for the blind. I am far from saying they're not great dogs as lately I've been really wanting to go adopt one from our shelter because I'm missing my Abby-girl, but I'm saying that there are dogs out there that mature quicker mentally and will learn quicker. What about working bred BCs for the really active blind person? But I'll stop before I get really OT.