PDA

View Full Version : is there something to make him....HYPER???

lute
08-27-2004, 06:14 PM
the past few months Beanie has been slowing down and doesn't want to play. he's only about 5-7 yrs old and he doesn't have joint problems. he plays inside sometimes,but now that we live in an partment we can't have him running around. it will upset the people below us. but when i take him outside to play he doesn't want to.he used to play all the time,non-stop and i LOVED it!

is there something like a pill or something else that i can give him that will make him hyper agian?

by the way,Beanie is a pomerainian.

dogs_4_me
08-27-2004, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by lute
the past few months Beanie has been slowing down and doesn't want to play. he's only about 5-7 yrs old and he doesn't have joint problems. he plays inside sometimes,but now that we live in an partment we can't have him running around. it will upset the people below us. but when i take him outside to play he doesn't want to.he used to play all the time,non-stop and i LOVED it!

is there something like a pill or something else that i can give him that will make him hyper agian?

by the way,Beanie is a pomerainian.

I cant imagen a pill helping things :rolleyes::eek:

aly
08-27-2004, 06:46 PM
I would definately not give him pills of any kind for that purpose :eek:

Maybe you can take him to the vet for a checkup to be sure there is nothing wrong healthwise.

Does he feel comfortable in the new apartment yet? Maybe he's still unsure of his surroundings and too nervous to play?

Try to find some fun toys that may peak his interest.

Dogz
08-27-2004, 06:46 PM
You may want to try dog food for senior dogs instead of adult. (If he isn't eating it already.)

Encourage him to be hyper by bringing out favorite toys, treats, etc. :)

Good luck!

Edit: I looked back at your post, and maybe Beanie is not ready for Senior dog food. It may depend on the brand. It should say the age on the bag.

lute
08-27-2004, 07:38 PM
thanks.
i didn't really want to give him a pill. i already give him garlic pills for fleas.

he doesn't eat senior dog food. he eats origonal kibbles and bits.

i don't think it's the apartment. he's been this way for months and we've only lived here for 2 weeks.

toys-i've tried his favorite toys,new toys,everything!

he's not unhealthy. when we took him to the vet last time everything was fine.

oh well,maybe he's just not feeling like playing. i'm suoer bummed though. i loved playing fetch for hours and teaching him new tricks all the time. now he's just a couch potatoe.:( i was thinking maybe a puppy wuld cheer him up, but that out of the question! we have to pay a fee of $300 per dog at the apartment.

any other advise would be great!

dogs_4_me
08-27-2004, 07:42 PM
Even if you WANTED to give him pills to make him hyper. I think that would be rather cruel! It sounds like you are just disapointed he is not as playfyul. I am sure he is just mellowing down as some dogs do with age. I think you should take him to the vet AGAIN just to make sure nothin is wrong!

Originally posted by lute
thanks.
i didn't really want to give him a pill. i already give him garlic pills for fleas.

he doesn't eat senior dog food. he eats origonal kibbles and bits.

i don't think it's the apartment. he's been this way for months and we've only lived here for 2 weeks.

toys-i've tried his favorite toys,new toys,everything!

he's not unhealthy. when we took him to the vet last time everything was fine.

oh well,maybe he's just not feeling like playing. i'm suoer bummed though. i loved playing fetch for hours and teaching him new tricks all the time. now he's just a couch potatoe.:( i was thinking maybe a puppy wuld cheer him up, but that out of the question! we have to pay a fee of $300 per dog at the apartment.

any other advise would be great!

aly
08-27-2004, 08:04 PM
Maybe you will meet someone in your apartment complex who has a nice little dog that Beanie can play with.

sammy101
08-27-2004, 09:40 PM
mabye he's just aging??:confused: i dont think theres anything you can give them to get them more...hyper! just get on the ground and start playing wit him to get him started!:p

kingrattus
08-27-2004, 10:22 PM
Try changing the dog food for older dogs. U can start them on senior food at the age of 5. Its good to start at that age cause they r middle aged, fully grown & the food is easier on the ir digestive systems & they will be about to get ALL the goods outta the food so they wont loose anything when they r old.

Its best preparing the dog for old age, when they r middle age.

Its the same for kids & adults too.

Drink lots of milk, it'll help ur bones when ur older & so on.

The vet told us RB Max's bones & muscles looked like a 2-3 year old dogs. RB Max was 9 yrs old. The vet said Max looked 5, only cause of the grey around the face. & like I said RB Max was 9 going on 10 in a few months.

Max was fed "Nutro Senior" since he was 5. MB Max was also never over weight. He was a skinny tooth pick & SUPER SUPER SUPER active. At 9 yrears of age, I still couldn't find a dog to out run, or out last him. Just look what he was doing!!

http://jess.iahu.ca/max/albums/album04/IMG_0326.jpg
http://jess.iahu.ca/max/albums/album11/Aug_24_2003_022.sized.jpg
http://jess.iahu.ca/max/albums/album12/Sept_21_2003_020.sized.jpg
http://jess.iahu.ca/max/albums/album14/Oct_17_2003_002.sized.jpg
http://jess.iahu.ca/max/albums/album14/Oct_17_2003_020.sized.jpg

Please take no offence to this next part. But I honestly think its the food ur feeding him. That is the #1 worst food to feed ur dog. Its full of sugar & trash.

I know if u feed him a better Quality it'll make a big difference. Just look at the ingredances, if u don't see Chicken Meal (or what ever meat u want him to eat), & u see Chicken by-products, then ur dog isn't getting enough meat in his system. By-Product can be hair, skin, bones, feet, & other useless stuff. Rember dogs r Meat Eaters. Yes they will gnaw on bones & so on, but thats an extra. Meat needs to be the main diet.

Someone said there is a "Nutro Max" & its cheaper then "Nutro", so try some Nutro Max. Its a slightly lower Quality the Nutro, but Nutro is at the Top for meat & quality.

lute
08-27-2004, 10:28 PM
i'll mention to my parents about taking him to the vet.

i wrestle with beanie all the time. he's my little wastler:D

there are a lot of little dogs around here. maybe i'll be able to find him a play buddy.

dogs_4_me, i don't mean to sound cruel at all! i just wanted beanie to be more hyper. he always seemed happy when he was active. he just always seems down in the dumps. i am upset he's not as active anymore,but that's not the reason i want to get him more active. please don't jump to thinking i'm cruel because of this.:(

kingrattus, i had no idea that the food i was feeding him wasn't good for him. i just figured if it were expensive,it was good for him. shows ya how much i know about food.:(

caseysmom
08-27-2004, 10:35 PM
I feed casey a high quality dog food, california natural chicken and rice, which has chicken meal as the main ingredient...she is still lazy. She is lazier in the heat though so maybe its just because its summer, she seems to perk up in cold weather.

lute
08-27-2004, 10:46 PM
what is the name of the food you feed your casey,caseysmom.

maybe it is the weather. i really hpe nothing is really wrong with him.

caseysmom
08-27-2004, 10:50 PM
It is california natural, the main ingrediets are chicken meal, brown rice and sunflower oil. I can only get it at feed stores, its about 30.00 for 40 lbs. There poops are also compact and small;)

kingrattus
08-27-2004, 11:06 PM
here is the website for Nurto
Nutro (http://www.nutroproducts.com/)

Here is what RB Max was on Nutro Senior (http://www.nutroproducts.com/ncdogsenior.asp)

Here is the cheaper Nutro stuff Nutro Max Senior (http://www.nutroproducts.com/maxdogsenior.asp)

If u find the Senior stuff still to costly atleast use the adult stuff. It'll still be a good change for ur doggie Nutro Max Mini Chunk (http://www.nutroproducts.com/maxdogminichunk.asp)

I know the Nutro Senior (the one I fed RB Max) is ok for smaller dogs to chew too. The kibble isn't round, its flat with a hole in the middle, so dogs with bad teeth canchew it with little effort.

But if u fed ur dog good food & played tug-of-war with the dog on a daily bases, there should be no such thing as ur dog having bad teeth. RB Max's teeth only started to go yellow at age 8 1/2. & the man rat dog here is only 5-6 yrs old & has yellow teeth. & Cadeau is 12ish & she has BLACK ROTTEN teeth!!

These r not my dogs, so I have no say in their care. They only see a vet when they r horribly ill. 2 yrs ago the owners were FORCED to take them to the vet (its the law here) or get fined 1000/dog. so theowners bitched the whole time. Rob, Tom & myself ended up taking the dogs. Sadie MUST loose weight (owners didn't gave a damn when we told them), & cadeau needs something done about her back teeth (once again owners didn't give a damn).

& these dogs eat Purina Dog Chow crap!! Their teeth r horrible,both dogs r always barfing, they need to potty a hundred times a day!!!!

Oh thats another bennift of Nutro. Ur dog should only poo 1-2 times a day & it'll be very small. RB Max was 80 pounds & his poo looked like a little dogs poo. & he only pooped once aday (unless we went for a LONG LONG walk), & Max only needed to pee 3 times aday (unless we went for a walk). Morning, when we got home from work or school & before bed.

It would take RB Max over 1 min to pee, thats how much he drank inbetween each time he needed to go out to pee. He had water 24/7. It was a 5 gallon pail & needed to be filled daily.

The poor dogs here only get a tiny small dog bowl filled with water a couple times aday. twice mostly & Sadie the dogfrom hell drinks almost all of it. She attacks Cadeau & Cadeau would rather not drink then have to be bitten to get a drink.

I try to give just Cadeau water when I'm the only one here or up. I'll kick Sadie if she tries to attack Cadeau. (Sadie has attacked me for coming out of the bathroom several times. & I cannot touch her at all, I have to kick her or I'll get bitten. Sadie is a horible animal & really should have peen put to sleep years ago. Theres WAY more to the story, but this isn't the place to ramble on too much hehe)

So do u have any pics of ur puppy dog??

lute
08-27-2004, 11:10 PM
kingrattus,thanks so much for the sites! i will look up on them!

i do have pics of him,but i havn't been able to post them in months. i will in the next couple of days though.:D

cali
08-28-2004, 12:06 AM
I know I premote RAW for a lot of things, but it DOES help with aging and activity. older dogs will take longer to adjust but they sill start growing younger, and getting as or more active then they were as puppys.. ;)

kingrattus
08-28-2004, 01:20 AM
Another thing that will help him from getting sore during the winter (if it gets cold where u r).

I live in Ottawa/Ontario/Canada & it can get below -50C which is -50F. RB Max's fur was so thin he needed booties & a coat from day one. If it wasn't on him & would waddle to potty or fall over crying. As soon as u get his booties out he'd go nuts & no matter how fast u got the booties on it wasn't fast enought for him. He would run around like a nut in the snow with his booties. He only wore a coat if he was out longer the 5-10 mins.
http://jess.iahu.ca/max/albums/album02/IMG_0045.jpg

I know ur doggy is a small breed, but it still needs its food bowls raised so its head it level with its body.
I didn't know that with RB max until it was too late. His back was already damaged & sore. We raissed it when the vet told us to (he was 8) & it made a HUGE difference in him. He was less sore & seemed more willing to play rougher. I use to fight with him hardcore. I would toss him to the ground, he would bite my arm & drag me somewhere. Then I would sit on him & pin him down by holding onto his scruff & he would grawl & snap in the air & then I would say kiss & he would snarl & force his head up to give me a snarling kiss. He was a big sweety.
We put his food dish intop of a pail & got him a taller pail of water.
Ur doggy wont need a pail, but maybe an upsidedown dish/bowl/pot would help too. Same thing for his water.

Also if u don't have AC put a couple of ice cubes in his water to help keep it cool. & maybe see if he'll play with some. RB Max loved ice. the bigger the better. When we use to go camping (when he was a puppy -6 yrs old). My dad made blocks of ice in his buddies Ice Box at work, in a pail. If it was too old or melted too much we gave it to RB Max.
RB Max would also dive for Ice cubes in his pail of water.
http://jess.iahu.ca/max/albums/album04/IMG_0250.sized.jpg

If u think he's over heating & u don't have AC, try Shaving his fur to about 1-2 inches long. He'll look like a mini GSD (without the markings duh!!). Some ex-buddies of mine got a pompom & his fur was all matted & filthy, they saw it easier on the pooch to just shave him. She was the cuttest little doggy I had ever seen & he was SOOOOOOOO happy to get all that horrible fur off.

I don't know if their any health risks to this, so talk to breeders & the vet first. I heard shaving a Husky is a HUGE NO NO. they need their fur to keep them cool during the summer. But I'm not sure about a pompom. But I saw good results with with my ex-buddies pompom. He was clean all the time too. The next summer they didn't feel like shaving him & he was all matted (they did brush him alot) & he had poo stuck to his fur & pee under his shaft. I never liked holding him after he had all his fur. He was just too dirty & gross.

So ask some advice about shaving, that could help too.

lute
08-28-2004, 02:45 PM
thanks for the advice.

beanie wears a sweater in the winter and booties too.

his bowls are level with him. i've had them that way since i got him.

we shaved beanie this summer to keep him cool. he is really cute!:D

kingrattus
08-28-2004, 03:34 PM
Don't u think he looks like a baby GSD when shaved???

lute
08-29-2004, 10:31 AM
not really. he looks more like a little lion.(we left a puff on the tip of his tail and a some around his neck.)