PDA

View Full Version : New York State Fair anyone???

swimma253
08-27-2004, 05:33 PM
I know not to many people are from NY... but for those who are, do you go to the state fair? I Do! LOL and I love it!!! As a matter of fact, I go every day! :p ;)

BUT- before you think that Im just a fair rat... I only go everyday because my Dad does staging, and lighting and sound there so we get passes to get in! :D Yippee!!!

I dont so much love it for the rides... but I love getting all the free stuff! So many great bargains!!! Yesterday I went to get a french manicure there, for 5 bucks! AND better yet... they give you a free little manicure kit with 3 different files, a cuticule stick, a nail buffer, and anti bacterial and shampoo!!! All for 5 bucks with the manicure incuded!!! Most of you people probably dont care... but I just cant stop thinking about it! LOL!!!

In one of the buildings there was a SPCA donation/shop booth. I bought a little red bandanna that says, "CNY SPCA" with a little heart on it for $5, and gave it to Meeka. :) DO you think the money is really going to the SPCA??? I hope it is! :)

Share your stories about your state fairs.... even if its not in NY!

Well sorry for rambling on! But I just love the fair!!! hehehe! :D:D:D

Carly

RICHARD
08-27-2004, 09:28 PM
The Los Angeles County Fair starts on the 10th.

Some of the things that I like.

The crafts. There are some talented people out there.

The animals! It's like Animal Planet on the Smell-o-vision!

FOOD FOOD FOOD!

10 pound buns. Bread with tomatoes, onions and cheese.
frozen ice cream pellets, beef jerky, deep fried veggies plate- Squash, 'shrooms and artichokes! Roast beef sandwiches...

Wine margaritas!!

And the most wonderful, perfect food on the planet....

Crepes.....
:D

molucass
08-27-2004, 09:49 PM
Our fair doesnt start until Oct. 14th! But, I can't wait... I love going... I just love the whole thing... Food, animals, all the crafts and other stuff!!

Desert Arabian
08-27-2004, 10:09 PM
The Wisconsin State Fair is the second or third best state fair in the country if I remember correctly. 879,322 people come to the Wisconsin State Fair August 5-15th. Our fair is awesome- there is so much here it is unbelieveable. There are 4 (HUGE) cow barns, 2 (HUGE) horse barns, 1 pig barn, 1 goat barn, 1 sheep barn, 1 barn with exoctic animals like emus, ostriches, peacocks, etc. There are animals all over the place. There are a bunch of 4-H buildings too. Thousands of vendors are spread out in 2 different expo buildings and all over the fair grounds, the famous creampuffs (which I think are gross), cheese eating competitions, numerous horse shows, and tons of cow, pig, sheep, and goat judging. At night there is always a concert (usually Kenny Chesney, Tim McGraw, etc) or two. LOVE THE WI STATE FAIR! This year was the 153rd anniversary.

I just got back home from the Kentucky/Kentucky State Fair and I am pretty bummed, far from what I was expecting- I set my expectations too high. The WI State Fair makes the KY State Fair look like a county fair. :p :(

BitsyNaceyDog
08-27-2004, 11:14 PM
I lived in Newark, New York (between Rochester and Syracuse) until I was 13. I used to go to the state fair every year. It was fun. My friends dad had cows there and we sometimes had to spend a lot of time in the barn with the cows.

I've only been to the Florida state fair once. I saw LeAnn Rimes and Bryan White there. That was maybe 7 or 8 years ago.

Sweet Sixy
08-27-2004, 11:25 PM
I used to go to the New York State Fair until I moved to Oneonta for school. I show horses and used to go with friends who had their horses there. Its a great time! I went to see the Backstreet Boys there once :rolleyes: SO long ago, hehe

Lillycat
08-28-2004, 07:47 AM
....a 5$ manicure.......and a french manicure at that?......gee, i'd love to have that here in cincinnati!!!

lynnestankard
08-28-2004, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by RICHARD
...............Wine margaritas!!
:D

Hello............................................. ......Did someone call?!!!!!!

We don't have State Fairs here - most counties have a Show though. Very agricultural and getting to and from them is a nightmare - roads blocked for miles!

Lynne

RICHARD
08-30-2004, 11:36 AM
Gini,

Where are you???

-----------------------------------------

Clydesdales to romp at fair

By Charles F. Bostwick
Staff Writer

LANCASTER -- Among the biggest entries in today's Antelope Valley Fair parade are eight 2,000-pound Clydesdale draft horses, pulling a 19th-century Studebaker wagon.
Budweiser's gentle giants are making an appearance at the Antelope Valley Fair, marching in daily parades around the grounds and in between letting people look at them in their stalls.

"They're real docile. Their size intimidates a lot of people but they're great to work around," said driver and handler Dan McNally.

The team -- plus a ninth horse as a spare -- is based at San Diego's SeaWorld -- one of six teams the brewer maintains around the United States. They travel the West in three custom tractor-trailers with their handlers and a Dalmatian dog.

Each horse's brass and leather harness weighs 130 pounds. Together, the set of eight is valued at $70,000.

The horses get daily grooming and a weekly bath, which they were getting Thursday at the fairgrounds, hitched two at a time outside their trailer as handlers went over them with hoses and brushes.

"We put in a good five hours to get the horses and equipment ready before we hitch up and that's with five people working," McNally said, pausing from polishing a harness.

Hitching up the team to the wagon takes another hour. The handlers repeat the process every day.

At the fairgrounds, the Clydesdales will pull their wagon around the grounds daily at 4:30 p.m. -- except for Thursday -- and at 2 p.m. on weekends and Labor Day.

Today's parade along Lancaster Boulevard will begin at 9 a.m. at 10th Street West and will run east to Sierra Highway. More than 80 entries are registered, including equestrians, antique and custom vehicles, floats and youth groups.

The fairgrounds will open at noon today for the second day of the 11-day fair at 2551 W. Ave. H. Headlining at 7:30 tonight will be country music entertainers Jo Dee Messina and Phil Vassar

wabbitwuver
08-30-2004, 03:33 PM
I forget what the fair around here is called!LOL!ooo yeah Atlantic Winter Fair and guess what it's in the winter:p!!!!I think there is a summer one too but it's not every year. Anyways you can show your animals and theres an event called Super Dogs and dogs go through an obsiticle course.