PDA

View Full Version : Swheat cat litter

lizzielou742
08-27-2004, 01:18 PM
I've always been concerned about the environment, and I heard the other day most clay cat litter is non-biodegradable. I decided I'd try a more earth-friendly litter, so I picked up a bag of Swheat Cat Litter (http://www.swheatscoop.com/) at Whole Foods. It's wheat cat litter! I like it a lot so far. I am changing the kitties over to it gradually (adding more and more wheat litter every day to their boxes) but so far it's working out. Here's some info from their website on its benefits:

Each year, over 2 million tons of cat litter ends up in municipal solid waste landfills (Judd Alexander, In Defense of Garbage, Praeger 1993). Most of that litter, an estimated 100,000 truckloads per year, is made from non-biodegradable clay that never decomposes. That’s why the time is right to consider the merits of a product like Swheat Scoop Natural Wheat Litter.

100% biodegradable.
Strictly speaking, clay-based litters never biodegrade because they cannot be absorbed or broken down by the organic environment. But Swheat Scoop litter will readily break down upon disposal and simply dissolve away.

Sewer and septic safe.
Swheat Scoop is the only cat litter on the market that’s certified flushable by the SGS U.S. Testing Company, an independent research organization. Which means that clumps of this product can be safely flushed without clogging your sewer or septic system, when used as directed..

100% compostable.
Swheat Scoop litter can be composted or used as mulch for ornamental plants (non-vegetable gardens) once it has been thoroughly scooped.

A renewable resource.
Swheat Scoop litter is made from naturally processed, secondary (non-food grade) wheat grown in the heart of the Great Plains states.

Clay and chemical free.
Unlike many scoopable litters, Swheat Scoop litter contains no silica dust, sodium bentonite, chemicals or flowery fragrances. Which is good news for your cat and you.

Safely digestible.
Swheat Scoop litter is safe and non-toxic for cats and kittens, as well as other household pets. The granules can be licked during grooming or digested without serious health consequences.

Soft on sensitive paws.
For cats and kittens with tender paws, Swheat Scoop litter is a softer choice than many clay or pelleted litters. In fact, it’s so gentle, it’s even recommended by veterinarians for newly declawed cats.

Cat accepted.
Cats are creatures of habit, and can be apprehensive when they encounter a different litter. But they find it easy to get used to Swheat Scoop litter because it looks and feels like conventional litter.

Also, they had this neat trick up on their website:

Before you fill the litter box, you can spray the bottom with household cooking spray to prevent clumps from sticking. You can also place a sheet of wax paper on the bottom of the box, or spread a handful or two of baking soda before filling.

I'm going to try the cooking spray trick next time I completely change the litter!

Anyway, just wanted to see if anyone else had heard about or tried this litter. I think it's working great so far!

aguu
08-27-2004, 01:20 PM
I tired it a while ago and I found the smell was too much...but it does sound like a much better idea, doesn't it?
Maybe I will give it another try!

kimlovescats
08-27-2004, 01:27 PM
I haven't used it myself, but my sister warned me to never buy it! :eek: She said it is just a smelly, and extra mushy mess!

Maybe you will have better luck?;)

sirrahbed
08-27-2004, 02:17 PM
I did use it but only once. It smelled so bad and turned into a sticky substance that was like glue. Sorry! I hate to sound so negative about what could be a great product but I could not stand it. It also turned into something similar to cement on my scooper and I had to throw it away and buy a new one:o

krazyaboutkatz
08-27-2004, 02:31 PM
I tried it for a while but it didn't seem to form very hard clumps and it didn't really control odor very well either. Hopefully you'll have a better experience with it than I did. Good luck.:)

Laura's Babies
08-27-2004, 07:03 PM
Sounds like a bummer... This place is so educational! Good idea though, they just need to work on it and do some improving...

lizzielou742
08-27-2004, 09:34 PM
Hrmmmm..... oh well. I'll finish up with the bag and see how it goes. I think I haven't noticed any smell problems yet because I just mixed some in with the regular Fresh Step or whatever. But I bet I would if I had a whole litterbox filled with just the Swheat.

Thanks for your input guys!!! :) This is why PT is so great.

Anyone ever tried "Yesterday's News" litter - the recycled newspaper litter? I haven't yet.

NoahsMommy
08-28-2004, 12:01 AM
I tried this when the babies were, well...babies. :) And I agree with the others, it was horrible for odor control.

Haven't tried "Yesturday's News", but we did try and HATED Feline Pine. Ick! The cats hated it, but finally went in the box after I covered it with their regular Fresh Step...it didn't clump and would turn to dust if it touched pee. :rolleyes:

Ally Cat's Mommy
08-28-2004, 06:20 AM
We don't get that brand here at all!

catmandu
08-28-2004, 09:13 AM
I tried some,and after 2 days,had to chuck,it out! Smelly,and Mushy,is Right! The Found Cats,hated IT!

krazyaboutkatz
08-28-2004, 03:51 PM
The only time that I tried Yesterday's News was when I had to after Cirrus's surgery. I didn't like it but Cirrus didn't seem to mind. I think that most vets recommend this brand after cats have surgery.

Glacier
08-28-2004, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by lizzielou742
Anyone ever tried "Yesterday's News" litter - the recycled newspaper litter? I haven't yet.

I use Yesterday's News among other things. I have ten litter boxes and use three different kinds of litter--clumping clay, News, and pine pellets. I have one cat with behavioral litter box issues. Onyx is perfectly healthy, he just likes to pee outside the box. The only ones I ever see him use are the ones with Yesterday's News in them. I have to do complete changes of those boxes more often than the others, but whatever! If Onyx will pee in them, I'd change completely everday!

rosethecopycat
08-28-2004, 05:53 PM
Expensive.

I use it only with the tiniest of kittens whom I worry will digest the clay clumping litter.
I had 4 week olds who used it for 2 weeks, they did try to eat the clay. So after using for 2 weeks, I showed them clay litter, supervised them, and eventually they got the hang of not eating it. By the time they were 7 weeks we were on the clay litter.
I would not bother with this stuff for adult cats.
Peculiar smell, sticks like crazy.

Rose