PDA

View Full Version : Good Golly Molly Prove Me WRONG.. (Babies comeing soon?)

Aspen and Misty
08-26-2004, 09:22 PM
Ok, I've done something stupid that I'm so ashamed of. I should have known better and I should have checked! :(

I had two "very good at telling" people check what sex Sharra and Molly (my foster bunnies) were and they BOTH said they were 100% sure they were females. So, I never looked again. Well latly they have been makeing ALOT of noise out in the shed, I thought they were fighting, but I never saw any signs so I over looked it. Last night they made so much noise the dog's barked :eek: so I went out and I thought, hmm I wonder if they BOTH are males!!!

So I sexed them and OMG, Molly is a FEMALE and "Sharra" is a MALE :eek: :eek: :eek: So I'm now wondering if all that noise they were makeing were them, umm, yea!

Both rabbits are inbetween the ages of 4 and 10 months.

So, now I'm really worried that there might be babies on the way :( I don't know what I'm going to do. I feel so irresponsible!

:( Anyway. I thought I would let you know and I'll keep you updated on this situation.

Ashley

wabbitwuver
08-26-2004, 09:36 PM
Well if they made that much noise maybe they where fighting! Maybe the male was trying to mate with the female and she got so fed up she attacked him. Did you check for any signs of semen on her vagina? was his or her tail wet? In about 14 days take her to the vet to get her palpated. I tryed palpating my does and it sure isn't easy! My vet palpated Spice in no time. Don't feel irresponsible, it isn't your fault! You trusted these people on sexing the rabbits and it was a great deed you did for saving these rabbits from becoming dinner!
Any info on breeding or babies you need just ask!

wolfie
08-26-2004, 09:36 PM
Oh, I'm sorry. Don't feel irresponsible, it's not your fault. I hope she's not pregnant. But if she is I'm sure you'll be very good at taking care of the babies, and finding them good homes.

Aspen and Misty
08-26-2004, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by wabbitwuver
Well if they made that much noise maybe they where fighting! Maybe the male was trying to mate with the female and she got so fed up she attacked him. Did you check for any signs of semen on her vagina? was his or her tail wet? In about 14 days take her to the vet to get her palpated. I tryed palpating my does and it sure isn't easy! My vet palpated Spice in no time. Don't feel irresponsible, it isn't your fault! You trusted these people on sexing the rabbits and it was a great deed you did for saving these rabbits from becoming dinner!
Any info on breeding or babies you need just ask!

This has been going on for about 2 weeks. They had stopped for awile and I thought, O good. Then now they had that thing last night.

I also think they were fighting and he was trying to mate with her but she didn't want to.

Yea, well I know she has an internal parasite that NEEDS to be taken care of right away now. So she is going to the vet soon.

Ashley

wabbitwuver
08-26-2004, 09:55 PM
hmmmm....if this has been going on for two weeks I don't think you have to worry! Unless....she already mated with him and won't anymore since she already has. What breed is she? If she is 4 or 5 months she is too young to breed and most likely won't accept a buck. Larger breeds are sexually mature at 8-10 months(sooner in males than females), Smaller breeds 6-8 months(again sooner in males) but the testicles may show earlier than he can breed, I know Hershey was 3 months old when his emerged, same with Sugar, they humped the females, but the females always ran away shaking their tails,growling. Sure Hershey was in the "mood" but he couldn't create babies yet. I've mated rabbits ummm, 6 times I think, 5 times for Spice(but only one successful litter!imagine that!) and Oreo once. They never made any noise and with Spice I had to force her to breed a few times, she would run,growl and attack Cinnamon so I held my hand right over her ears and then she mated. Well I'd say it's about a 50/50 chance of pregnancy.

Aspen and Misty
08-26-2004, 10:27 PM
I have been talking to a breeder who's been breeding for close to 25 years. Female rabbits CAN breed at 3 months old. It is VERY dangerouse for her to breed so early though, but it CAN happen. Also, if left with a male when at the age of 4 months old a female and male will breed, again it holds more danger then if you wait and breed them at a older age.

Ash

wabbitwuver
08-30-2004, 03:20 PM
Just because they CAN breed doesnt mean they WILL! As I said before it's a 50/50 chance.