PDA

View Full Version : Regarding pictures

catnapper
08-26-2004, 07:34 PM
I have been thinking about the whole “photo saga” for the past few days. Its really bothering me that it could spark such animosity. I felt that many PTers and I offered good advice and the comments made were meant to be helpful, to inform others that might not be aware of how hard it is to download many photos. We were met with criticism, and then sarcasm reigned for two subsequent days in Dog General. We merely offered thoughtful suggestions that were geared to help EVERYONE enjoy PT equally. Instead it created a divide of those that want to do what they enjoy and those that can’t.

I NEVER stated that people have to stop posting pictures... I merely stated that it was frustrating to have to download many photographs, and suggested what a “doable” number was for people with dial-up internet service. People spoke up honestly and peacefully, then were seen as a tyrant who wants to rain on someone’s PT parade.

As for the concept of not looking at the threads... well that’s what I HAVE been doing. I would LOVE to get to know all of the dogs involved in those long threads, but can’t. For as long as I have been on PT, I still do not know the majority of the dogs here on PT because their threads are so hard for me to download. That makes me sad because my enjoyment of PT is greatly reduced when I can’t get to know the dogs.

As for reducing the photos to links that I can click on... try it. Its more frustrating to wait for a new window to pop up and load.

I have to admit that the comment about merely budgeting for DSL hurt me to the core. Not that you’d especially need to know (or care), it reduced me to tears. For me, and I know many other PTers, it is not as simple as getting my haircut less often and using cheaper shampoo. Its not the same as store brand cereal vs. Kellogg’s. This year, my kids qualify for reduced lunches – we make under $36,000 a year. A family of five with a mortgage, two car loans and bills making less than $36,000 a year simply cannot switch things around to afford the luxury of DSL or cable. Yes, DSL is considered a luxury. Those of you that enjoy it, I am dying for the day I can join you. In the interim, I putter along on my slow dialup connection. I would hope that people would understand this instead of making me feel bad. I’m sorry if you felt bad about posting “too many photos” as that was not my intention. I would hope others would understand this and try to make accommodations to help those with dial up enjoy PT as much as those with DSL.

Is it fair that those with dial up get to enjoy PT more than those without? Why should DSL PTers get 100% satisfaction and dialup PTers get 70%? In a utopian society, all PTers have access to highspeed internet and could download photos ‘til their clicking finger fell numb. I only want to enjoy PT as fully as I can. I know you do too... it is all about accepting differences and acknowledging them.

If you don't see this as a chance to embrace all PTers then I am saddened by the lack of compassion. For life is about growing, changing and refining your view of others. Life is about give and take. The problems arise when people are more about take than give.

jazzcat
08-26-2004, 08:05 PM
Kim - I didn't post in that thread but I am so sorry to know that it upset you so much.

I have DSL and I didn't realize how hard it was too see all those pictures until a few months ago when I tried viewing some from my parent's computer on dial up. Since that day I have been trying to compress my pictures so they won't be so large and take so long to load. I want everyone to see my furkids and if that means I have to take an extra step to compress my pics then so be it, big deal.

I hate that it's become such a touchy issue for so many but I can certainly understand the pains of a slower connection vs. large pictures.

micki76
08-26-2004, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by catnapper
I merely stated that it was frustrating to have to download many photographs, and suggested what a “doable” number was for people with dial-up internet service. People spoke up honestly and peacefully, then were seen as a tyrant who wants to rain on someone’s PT parade.

No Kim, you posted some very sarcastic things about how people post 'this is my dog sniffing the grass, this is my dog moving her head, oh look, she blinked'. Blah, blah. I refuse to get into this whole stupid discussion again, but the things YOU said in one particular post were equally hurtful to myself and others on PT. The sarcasm & rude things you said about our about babies and our hobby is what hurt some of us to the core.

Unfortunately the thread is gone, or I would suggest that you go back and read what you posted. Perhaps if you were able to do so, you would read it from a different viewpoint and see just how nasty that was to many of us. It was a slap in the face to so many of us.

I’m sorry you were so upset by the entire discussion (I’m sorry anyone, including myself was hurt by any of it), and I hope this is the end of the whole stupid subject. I want PT to go back to the way it was and all this to just stop.

wolf_Q
08-26-2004, 10:23 PM
Can we please end this subject?

Tonya
08-26-2004, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by wolf_Q
Can we please end this subject?

I was hoping so too, but I was browsing dog general this morning and saw that alot of people aren't letting it go. It's to bad things have to be so dramatic around here.

Karen
08-26-2004, 10:30 PM
Let us end this discussion now.

We want everyone to know that they are welcome at Pet Talk, regardless of their Internet connection status. I hope by bringing an end to this topic, hurt feelings can begin to mend. Do not cast aspersions at other Pet Talkers or forums. If you still feel the need to vent, send me a Private Message.

Remember - we are all here because we love animals, and that our lives, therefore, are richer than many folks' who have never known the sweetness of truly unconditional love that our pets give us.

Let not minor differences overwhelm us, for you are all good people.

We love you all.

Hallelujah

Amen.

(I will now close this thread.)