PDA

View Full Version : New Cat Today!

cprince
04-04-2001, 07:43 AM
I am picking up a cat (possibly a kitten) from the vet today. A co-worker found this cat where he lives and offered him to me. I live on a farm with 15 outside cats, 3 dogs and 2 inside cats. He even took the cat to the vet yesterday to get his shots and be neutered. I am to pick him up today.

Yesterday, I bought a new litter box, food and water bowls, and kitten food (he wasn't sure of the age). I have set them up in a separate room in my house and closed it off from my two indoor cats.

My question is how do I introduce them? My oldest cat, Critter, is 6 years old and is not a very social cat though he loves my husband very much and tolerates me. (He was my husband's cat when we married.) My baby cat, Bruce, is 2 years old and is very social and loving. I am hoping that this new baby will be an indoor and keep Bruce company. (Bruce tends to drive Critter up a wall with his youthful exuberance.)

I would appreciate any advice I can get as I am to bring the new cat home after work today. BTW, my husband and I both work M-F 9-5. Thanks!

Logan
04-04-2001, 10:52 AM
I would put things that smell like the new cat around the older cats, and do the same with things that smell like the older cats with the new cat. Does that make sense? Let them "sniff" each other under the door, etc. and then let them have at it!

Can you believe I even responded to this message? Me, who has the "new" cat that has been here for 3 months, and my older cat has yet to accept him!!! But I have read the above suggestion many times from other cat people.

Good luck.
Logan

annibale16
04-04-2001, 10:56 AM
You are very kind to take in another cat when you have so many. I bet Bruce will be happy to have a new playmate.
Let us know how it goes.

4 feline house
04-04-2001, 12:36 PM
Logan's advice is right on target. Let them sniff to get used to each other, then let them have as much "face time" as they will tolerate. Seperate them if needed, then try again, but eventually let them "have at it" like Logan says, because that is the only way they will learn to coexist. If it seems like one will do harm, seperate them while you are not home or cannot closely supervise, otherwise let them get used to each other while you can supervise.

Gio
04-05-2001, 06:35 AM
It might be a bit late, but I would also advise you to give a lot of attention to your 2 cats when you bring the new one home. I had to introduce cats a few times in recent years and, it might sound silly, but I found that talking to them helped. It is quite easy to become a bit overprotective of a new addition (especially if it is a kitten) and the other might feel a bit left out so by giving them some extra attention and a few treats helped me a great deal. The most difficult time was when my sister came to stay with me and took her 2 adult male cats with her, they bonded almost immediately with my female, it was harder with my 14 year old male but after a couple of days of hissing everything settled down, they might have not loved each other by they coexisted for almost 2 years. Shortly after their arrival I adopted a disabeld female kitten and the only reaction I had from my male was a sad look as if he wanted to say: Please not another one! There are the occasional squabbles but nothing I cannot handle.

Gook luck and please keep us informed.

cprince
04-05-2001, 10:14 AM
Thanks, you guys! Colonel (named for the man who gave him to us) did exceptionally well last night! He is SO loving and seems to be very happy to finally have a home. Bruce is very excited to have him there -- he tried several times to sneak into the living room where Colonel is currently residing. Critter, however, is not very excited about the newest "neighbor". I hope I'm not making a mistake, but I hope to let the cats spend a little time together this weekend when we're there to supervise.

Thanks again for all the good advice!