PDA

View Full Version : Rescued kitty.

rg_girlca
08-26-2004, 04:05 PM
For the past few weeks, I have been feeding some adult cats and kittens who have taken up home in a burnt out triplex just down the street from me. My main concern are the kitties who are about 8-10 weeks. There are 5 all together.
When I went last night, there was only 1 kitten in sight. I had seen this one for the first time last week and hadn't seen him since. I was surprised at how close I was able to get to him, because usually the kittens would bolt when I came into the yard. So I put some food on a spoon and put it towards him and he started to eat it. Then I took some more and put it on a piece of wood for him as I went to feed the adults. Next thing I know as I was bending down, the kitty came in between my legs. I started to pet it and then picked it up. I was surprised at how tame he was. Well that did it for me. There was no way I was going to be able to put him back down and walk away. So he came home with me and straight into a flea bath. He was so infested that I cried. He also has a little eye infection.
I have a vet appointment tonight at 6:45 with him, I will let you know how it went.
Without further ado, here is the little guy. These were taken with my sons cell phone camera, so they aren't that good, but good enough.

Posting pictures in next post. :)

rg_girlca
08-26-2004, 04:11 PM
I can hold him like this and he will fall asleep purring his little head off.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid137/p17015a8e99e55876d3212e10c37f15e4/f7454736.jpg

Sorry this one is blurry, but I wanted to show you the top side of him. Look at his ears. Sooooo cute.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid137/p9dbba5c638ab116af2bb999974b74da1/f7454726.jpg

Look at that sweet little face.http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid137/p3bbc6d5c217f8a9baa3dc8b6338e891e/f7454715.jpg

There is another baby identical to this one with a terrible abscess on the side of his face that I am trying to get. But he really takes off when I come. Unfortunately I haven't seen him for the past 2 days.:(
Please keep him in your prayers that I am able to get him the care that he so desperately needs.

jazzcat
08-26-2004, 04:18 PM
Oh Lorraine he is adorable. You know me and my thing for gray and white kitties.:D

He looks like such a sweetheart. I hope all goes well at the vet tonight and I wish you luck catching the other one - prayers on the way.

So do you plan to add to your crew or find this little guy a home?

Jods
08-26-2004, 04:22 PM
I wish you luck at the vet he is sooo sweet.. have you named him yet? I hope you find the other one... he looks like he will be a handsome boy... Is he friendly yet?
Good luck

kimlovescats
08-26-2004, 04:25 PM
Oh Lorraine, he is ADORABLE!!! What a sweet and trusting little boy he is. You can tell that he is so appreciative for your loving care! Great job, and I am looking forward to the update~!

;)

rg_girlca
08-26-2004, 04:32 PM
Thank you Jazzcat, Jods and Kim.

Jazzcat, as of now, I just want to get him back to good health then I will decide what I am going to do with this little fella.
Right now, hubby is not too happy with me, but he did go into the room today to go and see him, soooooo, we shall see.:D

Jods, he is, which to my surprise, very friendly. Last week, he bolted when I came close to him, but last night I was able to pick him up and pet him without any fuss from him.

Thanks Kim, I will let you all know when I get back from the vets, how it went. :)

OKAY, I need a name for this guy people. Any suggestions????

catnapper
08-26-2004, 04:34 PM
He is an absolute heartbreaker! Sooo handsome and sweet. Just look at that trusting little face!

aly
08-26-2004, 04:37 PM
OH Lorainne! Thank you so much for caring for all those cats. You are an angel for sure! THANK YOU THANK YOU for taking the little guy home at the risk of making your hubby mad :) I think most husbands have to complain, but inside they are big softies!

What street is the triplex on where you found him? Maybe we could get a cute name out of the street name or something.

Kater
08-26-2004, 04:42 PM
What a sweetie! *melts* Thanks for rescuing this little guy!
I pray that you can catch his littermates soon. I will send you lots of good vibes!
Keep us updated!

QueenScoopalot
08-26-2004, 04:58 PM
Lorraine, He's gorgeous! He looks like he's much happier with the fleas gone, and once his eye infection's cleared up, then throw hubby out, and keep him! :D :D :D Just kidding! The name "Cody" jumped into my head for some reason. Hope his appointment goes well, and he gets a clean bill of health. Good job...soon you'll be addicted to rescue...soon you'll be addicted to rescue :D ;) :p :)

MULTICATMOM
08-26-2004, 05:05 PM
HEY, UPON LOKKING, I CAN'T HELP BUT NOTICE HIS BIRTHMARK... THAT GREY CHEST HAIR IS IN THE EXACT SHAPE OF NEW HAMPSHIRE!!:eek: I LIVED THERE 3.5 YEARS & MY SISTER STILL DOES:) IN A TOWN CALLED MILFORD... MAYBE HIS NAME COULD BE YANKEE?? I DON'T KNOW HOW YOU WEST COAST PEOPLE FEEL ABOUT YANKS!! I WAS BORN IN BAMA, MOVED TO TEXAS-BACK TO BAMA-OFF TO NEW ENGLAND...NOW MID-TN.
PLEASE FILL US IN ON THE VET TRIP. GOOD LUCK & MANY PRAYES!!

Laura's Babies
08-26-2004, 05:43 PM
What a CUTIE!! I see why you could not walk away from that one... he is adorable!! Wish you TONS of luck catching the other one, I hope that little guy is alright and you are able to catch him.. Good luck at the white coats little fella!

kimlovescats
08-26-2004, 07:41 PM
Waiting patiently for some news, Lorraine!!! ;)

QueenScoopalot
08-26-2004, 07:55 PM
Impatiently tapping my foot here waiting for news! http://www.click-smilies.de/sammlung0304/aktion/action-smiley-079.gif P.S Thanks Deb (sirrahbed) for finally sharing your secret stash! :D

wolflady
08-26-2004, 07:59 PM
Bless your heart for looking after these little ones.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid137/p17015a8e99e55876d3212e10c37f15e4/f7454736.jpg
This is the most precious thing ever!! Any cat that you can hold like this is definitely a keeper! *hint, hint* :D

Do let us know what happens at the white coats!

catcrazylady
08-26-2004, 08:00 PM
OMG Lorraine! He is ADORABLE!! What a cutie pie!

You never know about those little wild ones. I had the hardest time with Pepper Jack when he was a baby. I couldn't get anywhere near him for months and then one day I went out to feed and he walked over to me and rolled belly up on my feet just like we had been doing that forever!

I hope all goes well at the vets and I hope things go even better at home with hubby! I know you want to keep him. Tell hubby that you are going to find him a home and with in a couple of days hubby will be in love with him too!;) :D Then Keep Him!!:D

He looks like a Mickey to me. You could ask hubby to come up with a name for him and he will feel a little bit attached since you included him. Oh the tricks we pull on hubby's! ;)

QueenScoopalot
08-26-2004, 08:05 PM
How about "Ethan"? I'm glad his white coat visit went well. No FeLV/FIV test? He's such a cutie, and I'm sure he'll be showing his gratitude for some time to come...wink, wink!:D

rg_girlca
08-26-2004, 08:07 PM
Okay Kim and everyone here is the update on kitty.

First let me say: .............GOOD NEWS

He is 7 weeks old and weighs a tiny 1.2 pounds.
He doesn't have an eye infection the vet said it is just mucus and it will clear up. I just have to continue washing it with warm water on a cotton ball. His heart and breathing is good he is just a little underweight. He should weigh 2 pounds. He has NO fever.
He just has to eat and gain some weight.
He put a dose of Revolution on his neck. This kills fleas, flea eggs and controls and treats, ear mite infestation, intestinal worms, roundworms, hookworms and also prevents heartworms.
I go back in 2 weeks for another checkup and if he has gained enough weight, he will get his first set of vaccinations.

Thank you all for your lovely comments.

Aly, I live on Ethel Street, not a good name for a boy.

rg_girlca
08-26-2004, 08:14 PM
Jan, I have another appointment in 2 weeks time. The vet wants him to put on some weight before he sticks him with any needles because he is so thin. You can actually see his ribs sticking out and when you pet him, you are petting bone.
But he said he is doing well and that I rescued him before he got any worse.

Thanks again everyone for your lovely comments.

I went tonight to feed the cats and didn't see any of the other babies:( and only one of the mamas. I will go later to see if I can see the kitten, that I haven't seen in two days, with the abscess.

I asked hubby if he could pick a name for kitty and he said he will think about it.:)

Right now my main concern is to get him in good health and then I will decide what is to be done with this precious, adorable, little sweetpea. ((Cough, cough, I will try my darndest to find him a forever home.)

catcrazylady
08-26-2004, 08:14 PM
Great news Lorraine!! I'm sure he won't have any trouble gaining weight now that he is with you. He is so cute!
Now that you know he is ok it's time to go to work on the hubby!!;) :D
Good Luck!!

jazzcat
08-26-2004, 08:20 PM
I'm glad to hear he is healthy. I'm sure fattening him up won't be too hard.:)

He's so adorable and needs a good name but I can't think of any right now. It's probably a good thing you don't live nearby. I'd be trying to get him - such a cutie!

kimlovescats
08-26-2004, 08:30 PM
YIPPEEE!!!! Oh, Lorraine, I am so relieved to hear that he is doing well! You will have that little tummy all round and fat in no time!!! I'm so happy for you and him both! What great news! Now, be sure to document his little life with pics ... just like I did with Tabitha!!!;) :D

leslie
08-26-2004, 08:50 PM
what a wonderful story! You must be so glad to have gotten this little guy out of there! I was wondering, are the cats there visible enough that other people are aware of them and could have dumped a litter there thinking "They'll be fine, the big cats will teach them to chase mice and birds..."? It would explain his being both terrified and then friendly having been around people and socialized, then dumped and traumatized. Just a thought. I know where ever there is a colony around here, in particular if someone is seen feeding the colony, cats and litters get dumped. The mother could have been dumped too... They are old enough now to not necessarily be by her side at all times, esp. if she is starving and off looking for food to take care of herself..(or doesn't know how to hunt so out digging through trash). just a thought- Keep up your diligence! Any friend that can keep an eye out for them too?
Give the boy some rare roast beef from the deli for me!

rg_girlca
08-26-2004, 09:51 PM
Leslie, the shoemaker that has a shop around the corner from me is the one that told me about these cats. He took in one female who is really friendly and was pregnant at the time. He said that there was another mama cat that was pregnant also. So I know these babies were not drop offs. But the guy right next door always has his door opened. So I am thinking that maybe he lets the cats and kittens go in an out because they always seem to come from his yard. I don't think he is feeding them, because when I started to feed them, they acted like they were starving and now since I go around the same time every night, they are sitting there waiting for me. Obviously the guy next door is not doing anything to help these poor babies.
I also have a friend of mine who lives down the street helping me out. Since she doesn't work and I do, she goes in the morning to put food, if need be, and fresh water. My plan is to try and get everyone out of there before they start working on the place. The only problem is that I have called a few rescue shelters and I get the same answer. "Sorry, we are so full right now, we just can't take in any more at this moment." So I am hoping to at least catch the females and get them spayed. That's a start anyways.

jenluckenbach
08-27-2004, 05:05 AM
What a sweetheart :D

And all I will say is.....FOUR cats is a great number ;)

catmandu
08-27-2004, 08:39 AM
TRhe Found Cats,and I are so pleased that you took,that Little Cat,in,and are giving Her,the TLC,Love and Kindness,taht she deserves! She,will pay you back,a million fold,for your generosity,and we Thank You!

K & L
08-27-2004, 09:32 AM
Wonderful news! He is so precious! Good job!

Equus217
08-27-2004, 10:02 AM
What a handsome lttle fella he is!! I am glad that his vet trip went well...and THANK YOU for caring enough to help him!! I hope that you can find a wonderful home for him soon, (if he doesn't stay with you:rolleyes: ) For some reason I think he looks like a Cooper....
:D

sirrahbed
08-27-2004, 10:13 AM
He is a doll Lorraine! I love how he lets you hold him like a baby and he just purrs and goes to sleep - such a trusting and easy going little boy!!:D

kimlovescats
08-27-2004, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by rg_girlca
Leslie, the shoemaker that has a shop around the corner from me is the one that told me about these cats. He took in one female who is really friendly and was pregnant at the time. He said that there was another mama cat that was pregnant also. So I know these babies were not drop offs. But the guy right next door always has his door opened. So I am thinking that maybe he lets the cats and kittens go in an out because they always seem to come from his yard. I don't think he is feeding them, because when I started to feed them, they acted like they were starving and now since I go around the same time every night, they are sitting there waiting for me. Obviously the guy next door is not doing anything to help these poor babies.
I also have a friend of mine who lives down the street helping me out. Since she doesn't work and I do, she goes in the morning to put food, if need be, and fresh water. My plan is to try and get everyone out of there before they start working on the place. The only problem is that I have called a few rescue shelters and I get the same answer. "Sorry, we are so full right now, we just can't take in any more at this moment." So I am hoping to at least catch the females and get them spayed. That's a start anyways.

Lorraine, you are doing a wonderful service to these cats! Great job, and God Bless you!!!

Hugs,
Kim;)

leslie
08-27-2004, 08:45 PM
What a chore for you! My goodness! Are you asking for donations for spays and reminding the sometime feeders that the kittens will grow up and reproduce with each other in only a few months? (what a thought! ugh! even more litters! Best to get them before age 7 weeks if poss. is it dangerous to walk around the burnt out house and familiarize yourself with the area? To look for potential places moms would have babies and move them to?) The question to the shelter I guess is not do you all have room, but "do you all have foster homes?" Is the answer already "NO" ? and another question, ask "do you all have good trappers", ie, know how to get kittens without leaving the mom behind (be careful- a lot of trappers will get some kittens and never go back for rest or never go back for mom- that, to me, and I learned through time how hard this is on the colony, a semi-useless effort- either do it right or don't do it at all!- If one is calling themselves a rescuer trapper of a family- they should get the whole family- it might take quite a while.) Guess I am still upset that my little feral Polly got left behind by trapper supposedly rescuers. They never went back for the last kitten and mama. Jan and i happened to stumble across the kitten one day and I was terribly upset that this gal and mom had been left on their own! so sorry if I am overly worried! I worry about the ones left behind and i know I shouldn't!

krazyaboutkatz
08-27-2004, 10:46 PM
He's such a cutie pie and I'm glad that everything went well at the vets.:)
Lorraine, you're doing a wonderful job and hopefully you'll be able to catch some of the other kittens and mothers so they can be fixed and hopefully socialized and adopted. Good luck.:)

For some reason the name Stuart or Stewart pops in my head.;)

MULTICATMOM
08-27-2004, 11:26 PM
I'M RELIEVED TO HEAR THE NEW BOY'S GOOD:D

I THINK YOU ACCIDENTALLY NAMED HIM WITH THE SHOEMAKER STORY!! HE'S A PREFECT SHU-MOCKER (SHOEMAKER W/ A TWIST!)
CONGRATS!!
GREAT LUCK CATCHING MORE!!
DON'T PAY ATTENTION (MUCH) TO HUBBY GROWLS!! THEY TEND TO FADE...

Ally Cat's Mommy
08-28-2004, 06:25 AM
Thankyou for rescuing him - he is adorable!! Have you decided on a name yet?

lizzielou742
08-28-2004, 02:38 PM
Glad he's healthy!!! I can't believe I missed this thread earlier!!

christa
08-28-2004, 10:08 PM
I can't believe I almost missed this thread, and such a great story. I'm so glad that you decided NOT to put this little guy down once you got him in your arms!!! He must have known that you'd take care of him. I hope and pray that you can find & rescue the others before it's too late.

BTW, he's ADORABLE!!! So precious!!! Hope you can post more pics later??!!??!!

leslie
08-28-2004, 10:35 PM
i think Stuart is perect! He does look like a Stuart! It's an intelligent name! He was a very smart boy to warm up to you! he got his life saved!