PDA

View Full Version : Videos - You guys aren't going to believe this

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
08-25-2004, 04:06 PM
I can't view videos from my work computer anymore. Yes, I know I'm the one that made the video tuturial and have helped so many people figure out how to post videos, but I cannot for the life of me figure out what is wrong with my computer. After a bunch of trouble shooting/rebooting, I finally decided I needed to re-download Windows Media Player. Well....I made the big mistake of downloading the WPM10 Beta version. It didn't work right and I tried to uninstall it with no luck. I can't re-install version 9 because it says I have a newer version so it cancels version 9 and version 10 won't work! :( This is the last time I download a Beta version of anything. I've done Beta versions before with no problems, but this one is now a major problem. There is a forum for users' input and I've posted my questions there, but so far I haven't gotten any answers.

I also tried just using Real Player instead. With the Magoo videos I can hear, but all I get is a black blank picture. And the latest ones from.....sorry, don't remember the name, she's relatively new and posting videos in .avi format on the cat side....Real Player won't play those at all.

I'm at a total loss and am soooo bummed out. The good news is everything is still working fine on my laptop, so I can still see the videos I just need to wait until I get home, which is a bummer.

Any ideas?

Cinder & Smoke
08-25-2004, 06:49 PM
:eek:

We're ALL in deep Doo-Do when the *Expert* has a problem!

Here's an excellent "Windows" Help Forum ...
They have some Really Helpful Moderators.

You have to "Register" to post;
but you can *look* without registering.

Forum is almost the same software as Here on PT -
I just checked using the "SEARCH" clicker with
key words "Media Player" (IN "quotes")...
and got a LOT of hits on the site.

http://www.WindowsBBS.com/ (http://www.WindowsBBS.com/)

Good Luck!

Randi
08-26-2004, 09:34 AM
How frustrating, Debbie. :(

Did you try to uninstall through Control Panel only? The only way I can suggest is to find the files and manuelly uninstall them, but that's assuming you can find the correct files. :rolleyes:

I hope someone have some useful ideas for you. I know that Abycat is quite good with formats, perhaps she'll be able to help.

Good luck! :)

DJFyrewolf36
08-26-2004, 10:33 AM
I know on my work computers I have to manually download the videos before veiwing them. Thats because the jack arse IT people think that we spend too much time looking at vids and think that if we have to manually download them first we won't take the time. HA! Jokes on them!

Maybe they put a similar block on videos?

lynnestankard
08-26-2004, 11:14 AM
Sorry Debbie - I'm a complete computer wash-out - have you tried smacking it - VERY hard?!!

:D :D

Lynne

cfuh
08-26-2004, 11:36 AM
have u tried clearing the registry on the PC? run REGEDIT from the start menu and search for media player name. that's usually what the installation setup looks for b4 installing.

cathy

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
08-26-2004, 12:37 PM
Thanks everyone for your suggestions. :D

Phred, I will be checking out that forum as soon as I'm done here on PT.

Randi, I did the manual uninstall and I think that's what the problem is. Somehow I must have deleted a file that it needs and that is not included in the download, so now none of it works. :rolleyes: :(

DJ, if anyone here was going to put a block on videos it would be me, since the only other one here is my boss and he wouldn't even come close to having a clue on how to do that. I'm the IT person here (amongst many other titles) so thanks for the suggestion, but nope, that can't be it. ;)

Lynne, I like your suggestion the best! :D I havne't gotten to that point yet - I was blessed with all sorts of patience - but it's getting there. But I think I'll take it out on my bosses computer...Hey!!! I just had a brilliant idea, maybe I can view them from his computer!!! Yee haa!!! Thanks Lynne, you're the best! Anyway, I was going to say I'd take it out on his computer because he needs a new one anyway and I don't want to wreck mine anymore than it already is, but I like my new idea better!

And finally, Cathy, no I haven't tried that, but I will right now....errr...well, maybe after I do a good thorough backup. Do you know...if I try to re-install XP, is there something that instead of a full re-install it will look for components that need repair? I thought I saw that somewhere along the line and I was going to try that next, but I'll try the regedit first.

Thank you all for your suggestions. I'm sure I'll get it figured out, I just don't know how much hair I'll have left before it gets to that point. ;) :D

Kfamr
09-01-2004, 12:16 PM
Debbie, I have been having this problem as well.
I remember reading this thread and I was curious if you've found a solution yet?

I think I have, atleast for me.

Instead of clicking on the video to open it, right click and "save target as" to your desktop.
Then open the video that way. It worked for me! :)

DJFyrewolf36
09-01-2004, 12:41 PM
glad you don't have to suffer from any annoying blocks...think you can come to my work and remove the annoyances from our machines :D?

PS I don't dislike IT people (I am one) I just dislike the IT people HERE!