PDA

View Full Version : Rescue Groups - Deaf cat about to be PTS - can you help??

Ally Cat's Mommy
08-25-2004, 01:47 PM
Connor requests that you all say a prayer for this cat, and see if you are able to help :(:(:(

I am cross-posting this from another group. If anyone can help please contact Cary (Her details are at the end of the message)

I can't believe they will PTS a healthy cat just because she is deaf!!! :(:(:( Can any of you help find a foster or forever home??

Subj: Deaf kitty need to adopt before euthanize - DFW
Date: 8/24/04 6:44:11 PM Central Daylight Time
To: [email protected]
Sent from the Internet (Details)

I volunteer for several animal rescue groups here in Dallas. The Dallas
shelter has a deaf, white kitty that they are going to euthanize in two days unless
a rescue group can find it a home. They will not adopt it to the public
because it is deaf---which is so unfair to the cat.

I thought that if anyone might be sympathetic to the needs of a deaf cat, it
might be a deaf person. Can you please pass this urgent plea on!!!! We want to
save this kitty. The message I received is below. I can be reached at work at
214.742.8000, or at home 214.521.3611. Please act soon. We only have until
Thursday, August 26th.

I was just informed that the city of dallas at Forney Rd has a white cat,
approximately 2 years old, blue eyes, female, and is deaf and has 6 toes on each
paw. She is apparently a good kitty, but will not be put up for adoption
because she is deaf. They will only give her to a rescue group, not to the
public.

Please pass this on to other rescue groups or lets see if someone is willing
to foster her through A Different Breed. For more information, contact Janet
at 972 998 4915. I dont have a picture of her.

If anyone wants to foster her through A Different Breed contact Becky at 214
336 8847.

Cary Birdwell
H 214.521.3611, W 214.742.8000
[email protected]

moosmom
08-25-2004, 01:53 PM
Hi!

I finally went to the library and signed on to see what's happening on PT. I've been without the internet for a week now and won't have it for at least another week until they send me a disk. Long story.

I'd be willing to take the kitty in and foster her. I have a wonderful room with lots of sunlight and a view. This cat doesn't deserve to be killed simply because she's deaf.

I will come to the library tomorrow to see if the would be willing to set up a transport for this sweet little girl.

Is there any way you can contact Becky for me and let her know that I will take in the kitty? I have no minutes left on my phone card till I get paid next week.

I hope I'm not too late. But this was the only chance I had to get a computer to post.

Please, my number is 313-388-1573. I will be home from work sometime after 3 a.m. Tell them to call me no matter what time it is!!! I'll be home tomorrow (Thursday) until approximately 3 pm.

DJFyrewolf36
08-25-2004, 01:54 PM
Oh that is so terrible! Why won't they just adopt her out, her being deaf isn't too much of a handicap if she is indoors. I'll be praying that a rescue group helps her out!!!

Laura's Babies
08-25-2004, 02:30 PM
WHAT is wrong with those people...??? Just because it is DEAF is NO big deal!! They should see Magoosters video's and see handicaped kittes are just as good as any other!!

Moonsmom, I hope this works out. Someone keep us posted on this!!

heinz57_79
08-25-2004, 02:38 PM
This just irks the heck outta me!! If i lived closer I'd totally take her in.... Just because a cat is deaf is no reason to have it PTS. Grr! Good thoughts headed in that direction!

lizzielou742
08-25-2004, 02:50 PM
Moosmom, bless you for rescuing this kitty. It's so generous and kind of you - just like a PTer!!

Please update us when you can.

Ally Cat's Mommy
08-25-2004, 03:05 PM
I am sitting in Bahrain and feeling totally helpless!! NO WAY will hubby let me phone USA re a cat:( Can someone call Becky and pass on Donna's number (then update the thread so we know it's been done and we dont have 10 people calling her!!

Bless you all for caring so much!

(((HUGS)))

Julie

PayItForward
08-25-2004, 03:16 PM
I left a message on her answerphone.

I have international dialling for ringing Jen and being deaf is no disability, poor cat.

Ally Cat's Mommy
08-25-2004, 03:20 PM
Thanks for making the call!! (((HUGS)))

I suppose now we need to wait for an update from Donna!:confused:

Barbara
08-25-2004, 03:33 PM
I just talked to Becky. She said they had a great response and the kitty has already got a great home:D :D :D
(It looks as if I called while Pif was trying:) )

Becky sounded very happy about this!

aly
08-25-2004, 03:40 PM
THANK GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just about had my keys in my hand and was going to run up to Dallas, which is only 3 hours away from me.

Thank you thank you thank you for the wonderful news! (My cats thank you too that there isn't a 9th cat in the house now, hehe)

Ally Cat's Mommy
08-25-2004, 03:42 PM
Thats great news!! Thanks for letting us know Barbara!

(Whew - I can go to bed happy - it's 23:45 here)

Nite;)

Randi
08-25-2004, 03:43 PM
This is great - and what PT is all about! Another saved kitty. :D :D :D

DJFyrewolf36
08-25-2004, 04:23 PM
I am so glad this kitty got a good home!!! PT sure is great!

jenluckenbach
08-25-2004, 06:28 PM
Such teamwork!!! I am glad the kitty got a home and I'd like to thank all of those who helped, tried to help or were willing to help. :D

catcrazylady
08-26-2004, 07:19 AM
This is fantastic news!!! I'm so happy for the precious kitty. I really don't understand why they would refuse to adopt her out to the general public!:mad: That makes NO sense whatsoever!!!

Thank you all for being so wonderful and so willing to jump in and help this poor baby!! You guys are the GREATEST!!!!:D :D :D

Laura's Babies
08-26-2004, 07:24 AM
This is wonderful news! I have never met a bunch of people who will do what the PT'ers do for these wonderful creatures. You guys are just the GREATEST! Tops in my book, # 1 and great friends to have.. Thanks to everyone, especially MoonsMom! God will bless you for saving this kitty.

catmandu
08-26-2004, 08:38 AM
That is ridiculous,as we had a Deaf Cat,Missy,for years,and she,was a Wonderful Cat,we just had to keep her indoors! She lived to be 15.There is no reason,at all,to put that White Cat down.We Pray,for HER!

moosmom
08-26-2004, 01:47 PM
I got a message last night on my answering machine that the deaf kitty had over 30 responses to a furrrever home. I was able to sleep last night.

Aly Cat's Mommy,

Thanks for the PM. I was more than willing to help out, regardless of how far away she was. I'm just glad she got a home.

leslie
09-02-2004, 10:45 PM
This is the wrong place to post this but not sure where else because the other posts are old..
first off - terrific new about the deaf kitty- of course there shouldn't have been limitations in it's potential homes. I wonder, will we be seeing more from this rescue org?
mostly though, I want to say hello to pif and say I missed you and I tried to contact you and didn't know something bad happened. How goes the strays in the hut? You seem so sensible and yet I guess that doesn't make you invulnerable. what I mean is, whatever transpired, seems to be over, right?

Ally Cat's Mommy
09-28-2004, 01:36 PM
***BUMP***

I am sorry to say that I am bumping this up again because the deaf white kitty is STILL IN NEED OF HELP.

She still has not found a permanent home, and is NOT getting on with the other cats at her foster home.

Here is the latest email from Cary - please can you guys wrack your brains and think how we can help find a home for this sweetie???

Friends:

This is another reminder that A Different Breed still has received no applications on the deaf, white cat that we have available for adoption. After receiving nearly 50 responses during the first two days the notice was posted, no one has yet filled out an application.

This is a good, healthy cat, but her foster mom is having trouble because she does not get along with other cats.

If you or anyone you know lives in the DFW metroplex, would like to adopt or foster this cat (but currently have no other cats), then please contact us at [email protected]. The website is www.adifferentbreed.org. If for whatever reason you can not get through, contact me at [email protected] and I will pass your information along.

Thank You,

Cary Birdwell

aly
09-28-2004, 02:00 PM
:( I'm close enough to where I could foster, but I have 8 other cats in the house :( :(

leslie
09-28-2004, 07:17 PM
do you think the stipulation that white kitty goes only to a rescue group home makes all that much harder to find her a home? After all, I don't know anyone who works with a rescue group that doesn't already have mulitple animals and so she would not be happy- she would be happy as an only cat, right? She needs to be available to a forever home with someone with no cats, do I have the story right? That means being flexable and allowiing someone from the "public" the chance to apply. A lot of people have owned white deaf cats - they are not uncommon; that would be a good home for her- someone who knows how to be sensitive to her disability.
Oh! And one last thought- I have also met plenty of people involved in rescue work that DO not make good "owners"! If you know what I mean! THAT really narrows down her chances of getting adopted!

CathyBogart
09-29-2004, 12:31 AM
*bump* :(

Ally Cat's Mommy
09-29-2004, 02:35 AM
I have requested clarification from Cary re the cat. I know that initially the cat was going to be PTS at a kill-shelter. This shelter did not want to take responsibility for homing a deaf cat, and so were looking to handit off to another shelter.

I have asked Cary if the cat is now available for adoption, and I will let you know.

catmandu
09-29-2004, 09:07 AM
The Found Cats,are PRAYING,that some Kind Texan,will take,that Poor Cat,and I dont understand,why they wouldnt adopt him,if a Good Home,was available!

Ally Cat's Mommy
09-29-2004, 09:41 AM
Ok everyone,

I heard back from Cary (an absolute angel on earth!!) , as follows:

Yes, to clarify: The cat was pulled from the city shelter where she was going to be put down. As of today, September 29th, she is currently in foster care, but does not get along with the other cats. We need to find either a foster home or a permanent home for her.

Also, I did get an email from someone today telling me that they tried to send in an application, but had technical difficulties. If this is the case with anyone, please email me at [email protected] and I will forward you the application in PDF format.

Cary Birdwell

Can anyone help???

leslie
09-29-2004, 07:56 PM
bump- a new thread should maybe be started cuz people will see the beginning and think all is ok when it isn't?