PDA

View Full Version : This recent PT development is gonna drive me crazy...

K9soul
08-25-2004, 12:07 PM
Since that thread that got into pictures and how many and how big and so on and so on, there has been a new development that is going to quickly drive me batty. Now when a lot of people post pictures, it is with comments like "I hope they aren't too small" "I hope they aren't too big" "I hope I didn't post too many" "I hope I'm not annoying anyone with these" and so on. I hate this! I want people to just go with their hearts. No not EVERYONE will always be satisfied with size, amount, frequency, etc., but this is making it almost depressing to look at new picture threads. It feels like many people are just discouraged and unsure of what they should do now. I'm sure plenty are discouraged from posting any at all and will be for awhile.

I personally would really like to see the Pet Talk back that was before "the thread." I think what is going on now is worse than any minor annoyance or inconvenience some people may have felt over the photo issue. I'd much rather people did not worry about who they might annoy when they want to share their precious babies.

kingrattus
08-25-2004, 12:14 PM
Edit: I didn't read the thread & I take back everything., now that I know what the thread was really about.. opps.

Aspen and Misty
08-25-2004, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by K9soul
It feels like many people are just discouraged and unsure of what they should do now.

I sure am.

To many? To little? To big? To small? To many that look the same? Is someone going to tell me I shouldn't have posted these "uselss" pictures?.To me it seems like the fun of posting pictures is gone and it's become like everything else in life - stressful and a hassle.

Ash

Dogz
08-25-2004, 12:27 PM
I must have missed the thread. :confused:

Was it deleted? Could someone sum it up for me?

I am never unsure of the size. I usually make it around 300 x 400 pixels. :)

molucass
08-25-2004, 12:33 PM
http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=56770

It wasnt deleted. it was just bumped to the 2nd page.

cloverfdx
08-25-2004, 12:48 PM
I am oh so sorry to have started the thread in the first place i will delete it. :(

Yes i was being a smart *Censored* in the photo thread i just posted in dog general, i remember so-one posting "If the photos are too small i wont bother looking".

:mad:

Samantha Puppy
08-25-2004, 12:49 PM
I never got that out of anything said on "the thread" - especially after the originator of the thread cleared up what she meant. It almost feels as though people posting pictures are taking potshots at those who agreed with "the thread" originator... I've used the same tactic with my mom, taking a suggestion of hers, going overboard with it to guilt her into rescinding what she originally said.

No one said not to post any pictures. No one said to make them as small as an avatar. All that was said was that it seemed that posts with pictures got more response than those without, when those threads without could be/are just as important as any other.

C'mon people, stop being so silly and just post like you always did. Just keep in mind making things a little easier for those with dial-up, and realize that just because a thread may not have pictures in them, they are still worthy of reading and responding to. That's all.

cloverfdx
08-25-2004, 12:50 PM
Its gone!

aly
08-25-2004, 01:08 PM
I AGREE with Samantha Puppy!!

That thread isn't going to make me feel bad about posting pictures. It shouldn't make anyone feel bad. There were some suggestions given by people on slower modems/older computers, but that is up to you to decide if you would like to take those suggestions or not.

Until Karen and Paul put a limit on picture posting, we can decide how we want to do it ourselves. You'd probably get more views and replies if you made your pics a bit smaller and posted only 10-15 then a link to the rest of the album. But that is up to each individual poster. If you're going to post tons of huge pics in a thread, simply put a warning. Then it is up to everyone else if they want to look or not. I really don't understand why the other thread turned into such a battle of harbored resentment and negative feelings.

And as Par pointed out, people can always edit their options to show pictures as links so there will be no slowness loading the thread at all and you can pick and choose which ones you want to look at.

K9soul
08-25-2004, 01:15 PM
It's not your fault Rhiannon, that wasn't even what your original thread was about at all. I don't even have a problem with people reminding us that not all have fast connections, and stating what would make it easier on them, but some of the posts seemed to get into calling people selfish and almost seemed mocking of how some people post pictures. I don't think the word "selfish" should ever have been brought into it, because that is very relative depending on each person's point of view.

On one side someone could say: You people who post tons of pictures are being selfish to those of us with slow connections. All you have to do is pick your favorites and give an album link, then problem is solved. It's easy and more considerate.

Other side could say: You people trying to make me feel bad about how many pictures I post are selfish. I enjoy sharing my pictures in a story format. It is just as easy for someone with slow internet to change pictures into links as it is for me to set up an album or they can just not click on my threads when I warn there are many pictures.

I sometimes go awhile without posting pictures and so when I do have a few saved up that I particularly want to share. As I said in the other thread, I will try to make them a managable size, not be too redundant, and warn if the thread will have more than usual.

Rhiannon, you may have been kind of sarcastic in how you posted that, but I know a lot of people really are feeling unsure on what they should do now. I hope people just take a deep breath, keep others in mind without being paranoid about all the specifics.

cloverfdx
08-25-2004, 01:18 PM
Is someone going to tell me I shouldn't have posted these "uselss" pictures?

No one said they were useless :(.

And with that i am going to go snuggle in bed with Clover. Goodnight.

Cinder & Smoke
08-25-2004, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by ...

Its gone! {DELETED}!

Well, thanks :( for deleting that discussion - NOT! :mad:

You know, a LOT of Good People made some Very GOOD Suggestions
(and spent some valuable TIME putting their thoughts into words)
in that thread!

All those CONSTRUCTIVE suggestions are now lost... :(

As for what that Thread was "supposed to be about"...
Here's a line taken from the First Post of that thread >>>

"I actually prefer to READ about adventures etc
than be bombarded with 100s of photos
(I have Dial up and the photos take forever to load).

That Thread really didn't get very far Off Topic!

/s/ :( Phred

cloverfdx
08-25-2004, 01:41 PM
Thanks alot Phred :mad: . Who started the thread in the first place? yes me, so my choice to delete it.

Im outta her for a while, i can be reached by email.

Kfamr
08-25-2004, 01:47 PM
I took a bunch of pictures yesterday of my dogs, something I really enjoy doing. It's a passion of mine. Now I feel I can't share them with people I have known and shared with for almost 4 or so years.
Everything lately has made PT an uncomfortable place to come for many people. :(

Samantha Puppy
08-25-2004, 01:53 PM
Sorry, I'm not getting the "PT is an uncomfortable place" vibe. Never have. No one said anything about any threads being useless, no one said they didn't want people to post pictures. I think everyone's reading WAY too far into this whole thing!

Everyone needs to take a step back, take a deep breath, stop taking everyone else's suggestions so freakin' personally and go on posting as usual.

Sheesh.

K9soul
08-25-2004, 01:57 PM
I didn't intend the original post to get deleted because there were good suggestions on both sides. I know the post starters tend to feel responsible when a post turns into an argument but they shouldn't. It is not your responsibility in how other people post or react.

It's good for people to share their ideas and thoughts but it is sad when it turns into this overgrown, tense, and insecure situation. I feel somewhat guilty in that I brought the issue back to light after the thread had seemed to die off, but there was a remaining feeling of tension, insecurity and resentment still going on and that was what upset me.

dukedogsmom
08-25-2004, 02:06 PM
Didn't do any good to delete the other one because now it's started again..........I don't have anything more to say. This isn't directed towards you, K9soul, just in general.

micki76
08-25-2004, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by Samantha Puppy
Sorry, I'm not getting the "PT is an uncomfortable place" vibe. Never have. No one said anything about any threads being useless, no one said they didn't want people to post pictures. I think everyone's reading WAY too far into this whole thing!

Everyone needs to take a step back, take a deep breath, stop taking everyone else's suggestions so freakin' personally and go on posting as usual.

Sheesh.

Just because you don't feel that way, doesn't mean others shoudn't be allowed to feel their feelings. :rolleyes:

Can everyone let this go? Please. Just carry on as you did before unles Karen & Paul direct you to do otherwise.

KayAnn, Ashley, everyone - I'd LOVE to see pics from you! :) I don't care how many, or how big.

Now, I have work to do, so I'll check back later to see if you've posted them!

:D

K9soul
08-25-2004, 02:14 PM
I was frustrated with the results of the arguing on the other thread resulting in timid and/or sarcastic new picture threads. I hoped people might rethink how they were reacting, but it was taken as a personal attack for the other thread's existance instead.

Feel free to lock this Karen or Paul, as my intentions in starting it have flopped miserably.

Samantha Puppy
08-25-2004, 02:18 PM
Hmm. I don't remember telling people not to feel everything, just suggesting that maybe they wouldn't feel so confused/hurt/whatever if they didn't take what was said personally since none of what was said was directed at anyone in particular.

I'll keep quiet from now on and let people feel crappy for no reason. :rolleyes:

popcornbird
08-25-2004, 02:41 PM
I'm tired of this too. I'd like to see PT become the PT it used to be again. The fun, caring, happy, loving PT. Not the whiny, bickery PT is becomes ever so often these days.

I think everyone took things way too personally, but I think we should just forget about it and continue to post as we always have. You can't satisfy everyone. I'm kinda upset about that thread getting deleted too.....I wanted everyone to read that fable I posted. I had intended to calm everyone down by posting it. :p

Calm down everyone, take a deep breath, and forget about what happened. Just pretend it didn't happen at all.

*sigh*

Randi
08-25-2004, 03:06 PM
It's really a shame that the other thread got deleted, as some members spent a lot of time on giving useful advise about posting pictures - and also explained in detail why it is a good idea to post less pictures in a thread, or to at least resize them. Quite a few still have slow connections, and I personally think it would be nice if we all took that into consideration when we post pictures.

I'm lucky to have a very fast connection, so it doesn't really bother me so much, but I can’t see the reason to post more than 10-15 pictures on one thread. For heavens sake, split them up – people will enjoy a few good ones much more! I love seeing pictures, but I tend to skip the thread if it starts with 15 or more pictures.

Perhaps it’s a good idea to ask Karen and Paul post what they feel the amount, or size of pictures in a post should be. Then no one would have problems postings pics. :) We could all relax.

John and I have often left out some pictures intended for our threads, because we wanted to show just a bit of respect.

RICHARD
08-25-2004, 03:13 PM
BLONDIE LYRICS

"Picture This"

All I want is a room with a view
A sight worth seeing, a vision of you
All I want is a room with view, oh-oh
I will give you my finest hour
The one I spent watching you shower
I will give you my finest hour, oh yeah

All I want is a photo in my wallet
A small remembrance of something more solid
All I want is a picture of you

Picture this - a day in December
Picture this - freezing cold weather
You got clouds on your lids and you'd be on the skids
If it weren't for your job at the garage
If you could only oh-oh
Picture this - a sky full of thunder
Picture this - my telephone number
One and one is what I'm telling you, oh yeah

All I want is 20-20 vision
A total portrait with no omissions
All I want is a vision of you, oh-oh
If you can picture this - a day in December
Picture this - freezing cold weather
You got clouds on your lids and you'd be on the skids
If it weren't for your job at the garage
If you could only oh-oh
Picture this - a sky full of thunder
Picture this - my telephone number
One and one is what I'm telling you
Get a pocket computer
Try to do what you used to do yeah

Dogz
08-25-2004, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by Kfamr
I took a bunch of pictures yesterday of my dogs, something I really enjoy doing. It's a passion of mine. Now I feel I can't share them with people I have known and shared with for almost 4 or so years.
Everything lately has made PT an uncomfortable place to come for many people. :(

Kay, just forget about the thread, and post the pictures. We love to see pictures of your pups. Rhiannon did not say to NOT post pictures!

I don't think PT is an uncomfortable place either. This is one of the most comfortable places that I know. I feel that I can say what I think. I LOVE the people here. I don't even see how PT could even become an uncomfortable place.

Rhiannon, don't blame Phred. :( I totally agree. I am not trying to gang up on you or anything, but people wrote some very agreeable/disagreeable, and long responces.

Mainly, it was a misunderstanding, so I don't think we should think anything of it. KEEP posting pictures, POST them the way YOU want to.

Now, I will be done.

tatsxxx11
08-25-2004, 03:25 PM
Hey, just when I get my digi camera we're gonna put a damper on pic posting!!!;) I agree that the thread was helpful in assiting some on the etiquette of pic posting and wish it had remained. I know sometimes I'll send HUGE files to my friend's home PC and with dial up, a few times I've almost caused her to crash and it was important for me to know that! I don't think that anyone took any real offense to the thread; it was definitely a legitimate topic for discussion. But having said that, I for one hope no one will start limiting their picture posting ...it's one of the "funnest" parts of Pet Talk.

CatMama78
08-25-2004, 03:29 PM
Ok - I'm going to say this.....and hope it's not taken the wrong way. Maybe everyone needs to not worry about it. Why so sensitive all the time? I've noticed this a lot in different threads - so sensitive to someone's opinion or suggestions. I think I know why, but I know I'll get thrown to the wild if I say why. So somebody expressed their opinion. No need to take it so dramatically and feel like you can't post pictures. Please don't feel this way. You are going to get constructive criticism throughout your life - use it to your advantage. Just keep on being you and consider others suggestions (you don't have to follow them, but just consider where its coming from) and try to stay positive.

K9soul
08-25-2004, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by Cinder & Smoke
As for what that Thread was "supposed to be about"...
Here's a line taken from the First Post of that thread >>>

"I actually prefer to READ about adventures etc
than be bombarded with 100s of photos
(I have Dial up and the photos take forever to load).

That Thread really didn't get very far Off Topic!

I meant to respond to this earlier and got distracted.. I felt the original post was taken off topic because it was about how non-picture threads get so few replies as compared to picture threads. The remark about pictures and slower connections seemed made as an aside, but apparently it touched off a topic that many people had opinions about. Perhaps the word "bombarded" is what helped light the spark.

So I guess the replies were responding to something that was said, but not particularly the main point of the thread or at least what I took to be the main point.

I just hope I will not continue to see nervous/apologetic sounding picture threads, because I think for many of us here, pictures are one of our favorite parts of visiting Pet Talk.

Logan
08-25-2004, 04:01 PM
My pictures are so few and far between and the response I got, on the thread that was deleted, was that they were ok, sizewise. I'm going to continue to just post as usual, 3-4 pictures at a time, and be sensitive to those who have slower connections and can't view more than a few at a time! It sure seems simple to me that we can all be sensitive, but maybe some don't want to be, and I guess that is the way a democracy works. People can do what they want to do, regardless. Personally, I would rather appeal to more than less, and hopefully my picture posting habits will do just that!

carole
08-25-2004, 04:12 PM
I only read the beginning of this thread, as I don't post pics very often due to the lack of a camera.

However all I can say is that if there become too many rules on PT, I think I would choose to stay away, there are far too many rules in life we have to abide by, I like a bit of freedom from that now and then, I personally love all the pics everyone posts, and I have a slow connection, sometimes I just cannot get them, and I have to miss out, but that is life.

No-one should be made to feel uncomfortable here about anything, bad grammar, spelling, posting pics whatever, as long as you make your thread eligible, and not rude or abusive, thats all that really matters to me, its a forum for guidance, laughter, Information,pleasure, and that is ususally what I get from PT, but sometimes it can just be a bit too picky for my liking, but hey I am still here!! and not about to leave in a hurry.

G.P.girl
08-25-2004, 04:17 PM
:rolleyes: it seems like everything is so fake here lately :(

Tonya
08-25-2004, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by CatMama78
Ok - I'm going to say this.....and hope it's not taken the wrong way. Maybe everyone needs to not worry about it. Why so sensitive all the time? I've noticed this a lot in different threads - so sensitive to someone's opinion or suggestions. I think I know why, but I know I'll get thrown to the wild if I say why. So somebody expressed their opinion. No need to take it so dramatically and feel like you can't post pictures. Please don't feel this way. You are going to get constructive criticism throughout your life - use it to your advantage. Just keep on being you and consider others suggestions (you don't have to follow them, but just consider where its coming from) and try to stay positive.

AMEN!

Miss Meow
08-25-2004, 06:51 PM
I think Micki said some great words a long time ago that we make PT the place we want it to be.

If we generate negativity, we make PT a more negative place. If we want PT to be a positive, happy, encouraging environment, then we need to show those qualities ourselves and be what we want to see.

No one's making any rules, no one's putting restrictions on what we can and cannot do. Members are making suggestions and throwing them to the open forum, that's all. If anyone feels personally affected by any suggestions, they are free to reply or take it to PM to clarify things. If someone doesn't care, they can close the thread and move on. If someone thinks it's a good idea, they can agree and also move on.