PDA

View Full Version : Good dog food???

sirrahved
08-25-2004, 10:36 AM
Hello everyone,

I'm looking for good food for Muffin that isn't too expensive (comparable or cheaper than IAMS) but that's better for her. Any suggestions? She's got a 20lb bag of Iams to get through, so there's no rush... but I'd like to find the best food for her!

Jods
08-25-2004, 10:52 AM
I like Purina for all my pets...

cloverfdx
08-25-2004, 10:56 AM
I also feed Purina and my dogs do realy well on it, Clover and Elvis are having Working dog formula at the moment.

binka_nugget
08-25-2004, 10:56 AM
Science diet seems to be okay.. in comparison to Iams/Euk (or so I've heard).

But when you feed the more expensive (higher quality) foods, you actually have to feed less (dogs are able to use more of the ingredients instead of passing all the fillers) and you end up paying roughly the same amount.

We feed Chicken Soup. The price is about 5-10 dollars more than Eukanuba (what we used to feed). The results are amazing and the difference in price isn't too bad.

kingrattus
08-25-2004, 11:32 AM
If u can buy it in a human store, its poor foor. Its got lots of sugar in it so the dogs eat it.

So go into a pet store & find a brand thats not in a human store & get the one that costs the most u can spend.

RB Max use to be on Nutro, its the Top in Canada. & I highley recomend it. But it is costly, there is another one just below Nutro & its still fairly good food. Go into a Pet Value & ask for the top food, Nutro & ask about the one just below it.

Max use to be on it, but then he was getting ill off of it (he had a bad tummy). But my friends dogs were on it & they were just as healthy as RB Max (when RB Max was on Nutro), Had wonderful coats & the Rotti's ichy skin went away when he was put on it.

Its been over 8 years since I saw that dog food name, but I think it had a big dog on it, NOT THAT YELLOW BAG with the GSD!!! That stuff can kill ur dog!!!

That crap almost killed RB Max When he was 2yrs old. He was all skin & bones & we couldn't figure it out, so we fed him more & took him to the vet. The vet said he's healthy, just feed him even more. He was eating almost 10 cups aday & he was getting worse. I moved in with dad & he put Max back onto Nutro & took him to the vets again & The vet asked how is that dog alive. He was quite gross to feel, & started barfing everywhere & having the runs as big as a horse!!! The vet medicated him & said the foods doing it to him. In 1 month Max put on 20 pounds, stopped getting sick, but couldn't eat anything but Nutro, not even people food. A small amount of dog treats was kinda ok, but with age, his gut was usless, Couldn't even eat his dog food. Hewas fine on Hambugar, Rice & Carrots... I'm ending the story here... :( :( :(

BitsyNaceyDog
08-25-2004, 12:14 PM
The only grocery store food that I would recommend would be Purina O.N.E. or Iams. Try not to get anything with food dye in it. Most pet store foods are good, altho I don't care for Science Diet, it has a lot of fillers. I feed my dogs Natural Balance, I get it at Petco, and it is about a dollar a pound (I think). My dogs all do great on it and they like it. I've tried other foods, one being Nutro, but they didn't like it.

Aspen and Misty
08-25-2004, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by binka_nugget
We feed Chicken Soup. The price is about 5-10 dollars more than Eukanuba (what we used to feed). The results are amazing and the difference in price isn't too bad.

I also feed Chicken Soup and LOVE IT. My dog's are doing beautifully on it! I highly recomend it.

Ashley

kingrattus
08-25-2004, 12:38 PM
Natural Balance THATS IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thats the one I was talking about. Its 2ed best in Canada (or it was 8yrs ago, If it hasn't changed any it should be 2ed best to Nutro). The Rotti is 8 or 9 yrs old now & still looks great (so I've been told)!!! I've been told hes really grey. I personally haven't seen him in 5 years & I really miss those 200 pound Rotti Hugs.

pitc9
08-25-2004, 12:44 PM
Both of mine eat ProPlan sensitive stomach, dry and canned.
Both of mine were underweight when I got them, and they still are!! My vet says they are both healthy... just skinny!
I pay about $30 for a 40 lb bag, and $1.05 for a can. One can lasts 1 1/2 days. I only put enough on to get them interested in eating it!!

KYS
08-25-2004, 04:42 PM
I have heard good comments about Purina One.
Pepper is fed Purina One and she is as healthy as a horse.

I like Nutro's Natural lamb and rice too.
I use Canidae, which is a decent price in my area.

BitsyNaceyDog
08-25-2004, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by Jods
I like Purina for all my pets...

Purina makes a lot of products, both good and bad.
Some bad are Beneful and Moist n' meaty. Some good are O.N.E. and Pro Plan. They're all made by purina.

sammy101
08-25-2004, 05:39 PM
Kodie's been on Pedigree is whole life and he's doing wonderful on it! I know its not the best brand but he seems so healthy and he loves it!its not to expensive either,which is a good thing.

sabies
08-25-2004, 05:44 PM
I think Nutro is the best for the cost. Chicken Soup is new to me, (perhaps it is new?). I saw it last time in the store but I'm sold on Wysong for now so I didn't look into much. Wysong is more expensive than Nutro but I think the ingredients are better.

LorraineO
08-25-2004, 05:47 PM
We buy Nutrience for Lucy,,,

Watch for the soy content,,, too much soy can make a dog not get the right nutrition,, its like a filler,,, they can also develop skin rashes....

wolf_Q
08-25-2004, 10:51 PM
For a comparable price, I'd say go for Nutro. They have a line called Nutro Max which is cheaper than Nutro Natural choice but still a good dog food.