PDA

View Full Version : What do you get?

Gina
05-20-2001, 03:33 PM
I thought as I watched my cats and dogs today..."yep, they're all rescues, and they are so loved. They are so lucky, thry look so happy." Then I thought."So am I!" http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/biggrin.gif

Why? Well, I think my life is richer for having them in it. Animals are great teachers. Mine have thought me greater love, tolerance and how to smile, especially when I don't feel like it.

Do you feel that your pets have helped you through any emotional hard times? What do you get from them? Do they teach you anything?

I feel so honoured that I am able to give them what I think is a good life, they maybe glad of us, but I'm thankful that they live with us too! My heart is bigger for having them, how about you? http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif

nsweezie
05-20-2001, 06:15 PM
Every single day my two cats give me so much. I can never really repay them, they are always there for me, they love unconditionally. I feel really lucky to have them in my life.
What I get is two very special companions!

4 feline house
05-20-2001, 09:08 PM
What I get from my cats that I've never gotten anywhere else is unconditional love. My cats have never stabbed me in the back, they have never stolen from me, they have never made me feel inadequate, they have never told me they would like me better if I lost weight, they have never told me I would be more attractive if I acted more like a dumb blonde, they have never told me they wished I had never been born, they have never used me or tried to manipulate me for their own purposes, they have never taken credit for my hard work. I come from an unloving, abusive childhood home, and at 43 I have never married. I have seen much more of the dark, selfish, callous, ugly side of the so-called higher animal than most people. I don't mean to come off as a martyr, because that's not my purpose. But when I am in a bad mood because I'm behind in my bills, I lost out on a good job, and I've gained three pounds after starving myself for a week, my cat still wants to cuddle next to me on the couch. I have not yet met a human being that does. Maybe that's why as I begin middle age my cats have become the next most important thing in my life, next to my son (whose love is probably unconditional but by virtue of the parent-child relationship will eventually become less important to him as he reaches adulthood and leaves home).

[This message has been edited by 4 feline house (edited May 20, 2001).]

Inez
05-21-2001, 02:29 AM
Last March, my brother called to tell me that our father had passed away from a sudden heart attack at the age of fifty-two. I was twenty years old, a sophomore in college, and I had just lost the man I loved the most in the whole world. I became extremely depressed, almost to the point of suicidal, and I think I took it the worse in my family because I was "daddy's little girl." He was my best friend and the person I went to for everything. I didn't want to get out of bed, I didn't want to eat, I found it even painful to breathe. Almost two months after my father passed away, my boyfriend came home with this scrawny, whiny orange tabby female kitten that someone had thrown out of a truck on a backroad. I fell in love with her immediately and knew I had to keep her (my older two cats were with my parents because my roommate, at the time,was allergic). A little over a year later, Callie has become the holy terror of the family but I would not have it any other way. I believe it was because of that kitten that I had something to look forward to waking up in the morning and something to love when I needed it the most. Animals just seem to sense when you are lonely or sick and are there to give you love unconditionally. This may sound a little strange, but, I believe my dad was looking down at me that night when my boyfriend found that kitten. I needed her as much as she needed me.

thelmalu99
05-22-2001, 11:09 AM
Funny...I was just talking to my friend about this last night. She wants to get a pet in the worst way, but she's terrified of becoming too attached and not being able to handle the eventual loss.
I have had pets all my life and probably would feel incomplete if I didn't have one. What I told her was, basically, that even though losing a beloved pet is one of the most painful experiences, the joy and love that a pet brings into your life outweighs everything. Yes, we become very attached. Yes, the very thought of losing them is unbearable. What you have in return, though, is someone who is always happy to see you, who will never turn his back on you and who doesn't care that you're not perfect, and will love you anyway.
You also get to take a sweet little animal and give him a life without fear of being on the streets, hungry or mistreated. As with any relationship, you give and you get. The difference is, when you have a pet, you get so much in return and you can be sure that what you're getting is sincere and comes from the heart.
So I told my friend, even though they can't live forever, your life will be so enriched and you will always have the memories.

felixowner
05-22-2001, 08:07 PM
they laugh at all my jokes
they find me continually fascinating, even on my worst days
they approve of every decision i make

Pam
05-22-2001, 08:22 PM
Everyone has written so beautifully. http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif I read somewhere that it's hard to be nervous or upset in the company of a cat. How true! They just exude peace and calm when they are around me, and of course the purrs and cuddles and yes, even slobbering that Andy does just makes me feel so good inside. I didn't pay a single cent for either one of them but their worth to me is beyond money! They are my little jewels. My puppy, Bella, is such a little love too. Although she has only been in my life for a little less than 3 months I can't remember how life was before she came. To wake up each morning and see her little tail wagging so glad to see me and to be able to watch each day as she is growing from a puppy into a dog just puts a smile all over my face. I have often wondered how people get by in life without having pets. I sure couldn't!

Meow101
05-22-2001, 08:53 PM
When you're sad, cats will cuddle in your lap. When you don't have anybody else, you have your cat. Boogie never complains about anything I do, (unless of course I forget to feed him). http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif I've found cats are just a bundle of purrs, laughs, happiness, love, and joy. They are little angels. Boogie gives me tons of kitty love, although he is not the brightest or sweetest cat in the world, he is my furball, and that's good enough for me.
Of course, all pets give love. My dog, Samson, is sooo sweet and will sleep in bed with you, and so on. (Boogie will too, but Samson is more "cuddly")
Pets are wonderful! I think they must be from heaven. Speaking of heaven, my Mom thinks that pets will be in heaven when we get there, AND will be able to talk!! http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/biggrin.gif Wouldn't that be the sweetest thing? http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif

cprince
05-23-2001, 08:50 AM
Just this week, my husband and I were outside, after work, playing with our outside animals. The dogs and cats both LOVE to chase tennis balls -- we were having such a good time. When we finished, we went back inside to our three inside cats (who were admittedly a bit put out that we were spending time with the "others") and got lots of love from them. I remarked to my husband that our life was just perfect and that I felt I was living in a Norman Rockwell painting. The love and joy they bring makes our lives complete. Pets rule! http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/biggrin.gif

Meow101
05-23-2001, 09:18 AM
I just got this in an email:

"Angel cats are just pretend
Just sorrows that will never mend"

"But if I believe that, I'm untrue
To someone who loved me and you.
For I have felt my cat's sweet weight
As she cuddles into bed so late
And heard her purrs, and felt her sigh
Mend my grief: sweet lullaby."

"Faulty vision? I think not!
An angel cat, off like a shot
For that was how she ran while here:
Now plain sight, now disappear."

"Angel cats are surely real
They stay in touch to help us heal
Their fur dries tears that will not dry
And as we mend, our spirits fly."

felixowner
05-24-2001, 09:17 AM
and another thing about cats (well, any animals)....
they don't misrepresent themselves. they don't claim to be smarter than they are; they don't embellish their resumes. they don't take social standing into account when deciding who their friends are. they're not insecure about their looks. they don't give you the once-over. they don't throw money around; they don't cling to status symbols. i guess in these things they are the way i wish i could be all the time.

tatsxxx11
05-24-2001, 03:05 PM
Everyone has expressed my own feelings so beautifully. Let me just add...The other day I heard a beautiful quote on Animal Planet. "A human may give to his dog, his cat, his beloved companion, 100%, every day of his life. In return, he will get always get back 150%."

[This message has been edited by tatsxxx11 (edited May 24, 2001).]