PDA

View Full Version : I'm worried about Corkscrew

Uabassoon
08-24-2004, 05:42 PM
Last week Corkscrew had a bit of an eye infection so I took him into the vet, they gave him some antibiotics and eye ointment. But I think that was just the begining of an illness. Last night he was being really affectionate which is usually the first sign that he isn't feeling well. Today when I got home from work I noticed that he hardly ate, usually Corkscrew eats like a pig. I'm a little worried because he does have a Corona Viruis, two years ago when they did bloodwork it tested postive for it :( Right now he's sleeping and getting some rest. I'm going to see if I can get him into the vet tomorrow. Please pray that everything is ok with him.

jazzcat
08-24-2004, 05:44 PM
Poor Corkscrew.

I don't really know what a corona virus is. Would you tell me about?

DJFyrewolf36
08-24-2004, 05:46 PM
Oooo poor Corkscrew!!! Feel better little guy! I also don't know anything about Corona Virus...I hope it isn't sirious!!!

Remus has his paws crossed for his friend and I have my fingers crossed too!

sirrahbed
08-24-2004, 05:46 PM
awww poor Corkscrew!!! I am glad you are able to get him back into the vet:( Hopefully he is feeling puny from the antibiotics as some kitties do!! I do not know what the corona virus is either:(

Uabassoon
08-24-2004, 05:48 PM
I'm on my way to the vet right now, I just got off the phone with him. I'll update you soon.

jenluckenbach
08-24-2004, 05:50 PM
Many prayers for my sweet pal Corkscrew.

sirrahbed
08-24-2004, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by Uabassoon
I'm on my way to the vet right now, I just got off the phone with him. I'll update you soon.
OH!!!:( Yes, please do!!!

Craftlady
08-24-2004, 05:57 PM
Will keep good thoughts and prayers. I did a search on the net and that's a nasty disease. What I could find it's found in dogs more than cats.

slick
08-24-2004, 06:31 PM
Poor Corky. Prayers going out to you. I'll be watching for a positive uppydate.

Uabassoon
08-24-2004, 06:32 PM
They are keeping him overnight :( I tried my best to hold back my tears when I was in the vets office, but as soon as I got to my car I started crying. I still haven't stopped. I just want him to be ok.

sirrahbed
08-24-2004, 06:40 PM
What do they think is wrong Laura???

slick
08-24-2004, 06:41 PM
Big {{{HUGS}}} coming out to you. I know it's hard when your babies are sick and away overnight. Do try and get some sleep tonight. Corky's in good hands now.

jenluckenbach
08-24-2004, 06:56 PM
Did they give you any clue? I pray he will be well very soon.

K & L
08-24-2004, 06:59 PM
Oh dear, I hope everything will be OK. Please update when you hear. My best to you and Corkscrew.

popcornbird
08-24-2004, 07:03 PM
Oh...:( Poor Corkscrew. Let us know what the vet says. I hope he'll be alright.

Mandy-Lee
08-24-2004, 07:09 PM
Please watch over Corkscrew and nurse him back to health so he can be a happy kitty again.
We are all routing for you,Boy! May you come home real soon.

Info about the Corona Virus:

There is no way a reputable breeder can ever guarantee against a kitten coming down with FIP unless they either know for sure they have corona free catteries or they are pulling kittens from moms at about 4 weeks and totally isolating them to prevent corona virus infection. Recent studies show that this method may be ineffective as kittens may be getting infected with corona virus as young as 2 weeks. Corona virus infection DOES NOT MEAN your cat will ever get FIP. Most cats infected with corona virus will live long and healthy lives. 80% to 90% of cattery cats will be corona positive.No one knows for sure why some cats have the corona virus mutate into FIP.

http://www.winnfelinehealth.org//health/FIP.html

catcrazylady
08-24-2004, 07:22 PM
Oh Laura I know you must be sick with worry! I'm so sorry and please know that lots and lots of prayers are being said for Corkscrew. Please keep us posted and try not to worry too much too soon.
Get better soon precious Corky...we LOVE you!!

kimlovescats
08-24-2004, 07:23 PM
Oh Laura .... please try not to panic..... prayers coming for sweet Corkscrew and (((HUGS))) for you!!!;)

AbbyMom
08-24-2004, 07:32 PM
Hugs and prayers for Laura and Corkscrew! Get better right away!

sirrahbed
08-24-2004, 07:36 PM
http://www.gifpix.de/gifbilder/Ballons/00001797.gif

Please keep well quickly Corkscrew! We miss you and your Meowmie is very sad without you!!

Laura's Babies
08-24-2004, 08:34 PM
Thoughts and prayers are with you and Corkscrew in this troubeling time. Please keep us posted!

catnapper
08-24-2004, 08:44 PM
Oh no! I hope Crokscrew will be fine! Prayers coming your way to that wonderful orangie!

Felicia's Mom
08-24-2004, 09:19 PM
I am sending prayers out for Corkscrew.:(

Logan
08-24-2004, 09:36 PM
Laura, I am keeping Corkscrew in my prayers. I hope that everything is going to be just fine for you both.

leslie
08-24-2004, 09:45 PM
when your up to it, let us know what they are looking for. I lost a kitten to FIP. BUT the positive virus sign means zero regarding fip.. I had a kitten that tested positive, (he was very sick) the vet told me she hates to run the test because the virus is one that presents itself in literally 1000 different ways- and that I should not lose heart or hope. We treated him, I bleached everything in the house constantly (out of fip fear because the fip baby, cheops was a definate). And guess what, he got better and eventually, Puff, got adopted out and now lives in a town nearby. I thought for sure he was a gonner- the fever, not eating etc. I was terrified. The corona test is a waste of money - the vet didn't even want to do it- she said "It means nothing". And, "We have to treat him for his presenting symptoms". She is gold in my eyes!
Let us know and hang in there. we are all rooting for your baby and you...

Uabassoon
08-24-2004, 10:25 PM
I wanted to thank everyone for all the kind words. Sorry I didn't respond earlier but I really didn't feel like writting about it.

Leslie I wanted to respond to your post. Originally the vet did blood work on Corkscrew for everything because about 2 years ago Corkscrew became very ill, at the time the vet thought he might have had FIV so they did full blood work on him. Since then Corkscrew gets sick about twice a year, he will run high fevers and have horrible respiratory infections that will last for a month or longer. If you do a search and type in "Corkscrew sick" you will see all the threads from where he has been ill, each time it's required a few vet visits before he fully recovers.

I'm really worried because this is the first time the vet has ever asked to keep Corkscrew for the night in all the times that he's been ill. We also think that he may have a UTI, yesterday and the day before he urinated on my recliner. So while he's there they are going to get a urine sample. I think they also plan on doing another blood test on him while he is there. We really just want to get to the bottom of why he is getting sick all the time.

I felt so bad leaving him there, I carried him into the boarding area and when I placed him in the cage I wanted to give him a kiss but he hissed to loudly that it scared me. I've never heard him make a sound like that. As soon as I walked out of the room he made the loudest kitty scream I'd ever heard. The vet and the techs all jumped and I told them that I knew it was Corkscrew. They went back to check on him, but I just had to walk away because I knew if I went back he'd just go nuts again because he didn't understand why I was leaving him in a cage.

I'm supposed to call tomorrow at 10, hopefully it will be good news.

leslie
08-24-2004, 10:41 PM
oh heavens! no wonder you have been beside yourself! Well, thanks for the update (and probably others here too that didn't know his history). It is most horrible leaving a sick pet behind at a vets in a state of hysterics/distress/ill/out of home environment...
I would have bawled buckets... When my siamese dashiell got sick (going back at least 15 years!), my ex (who had given him to me for an easter present) was so sweet. She went to Angel Memorial Hospital in Boston to see him with me during visitation hours, and when he died, she came and spent the whole weekend with me sorting through photos of "just Dash" and we tied them up in a pretty ribbon. I hadn't seen her in a few years but she came through for this tragedy... we would both be in tears leaving him after a visitation at the hospital. Your sorrow and worries are quite understandable. Again, lots of people sending chants and prayers your way and do let us know test results. Hope you don't have to work tomorrow.

Ally Cat's Mommy
08-24-2004, 11:11 PM
Corkscrew is in my prayers. Update us when you can.

(((HUGS)))

BitsyNaceyDog
08-24-2004, 11:13 PM
Get well Corkscrew.

anna_66
08-24-2004, 11:14 PM
Laura I'm sorry to hear about Corkscrew. I do hope that this is nothing and he will be home safe and sound tomorrow.

Tonya
08-24-2004, 11:26 PM
Get well soon, Corkscrew!

shais_mom
08-24-2004, 11:28 PM
Oh Laura!! I am so sorry!!
Will keep you and sweet Corkscrew in my thoughts and prayers!!

krazyaboutkatz
08-24-2004, 11:29 PM
Laura, I'm so sorry to hear that Corkscrew is very sick.:( Prayers and positive thoughts are being sent your way. Please take care and hopefully you'll receive some good news tomorrow.

jazzcat
08-24-2004, 11:30 PM
He's in my prayers!

heinz57_79
08-24-2004, 11:48 PM
Bella and I have lighted candles for you and Corky. I hope everything turns ok alright. He's such a great kitty... stayed by me that whole infamous night. ;) Let me know if there's anything I can do for you, ok? Luv ya, girlfriend!! :)

carole
08-24-2004, 11:58 PM
Corkscrew GET WELL SOON kitty, sending positive vibes for your furbaby to be well again soon, I know how worried you must be, Hugs to meowmie as well.

NoahsMommy
08-25-2004, 01:29 AM
Sweet Corkscrew....

We're thinking and praying about you over here. Get better soon so you can hurry home and be with your mama.

Luv,
Kelly and the furkids

Killearn Kitties
08-25-2004, 04:26 AM
I'm so sorry you had to leave Corkscrew at the vet overnight. That's a terrible feeling. Keeping my fingers crossed for both of you today.

cubby31682
08-25-2004, 04:56 AM
I'm sorry to hear that Corkscrew is ill again. I hope everything goes okay at the vets office today. I'm sorry that you had to hear him scream because he was scared. Please keep us updated.

lynnestankard
08-25-2004, 06:30 AM
Oh Laura {{{Hugs}}} across the miles sweetheart - you sound so unhappy - as any of us would.
It's awful leaving our dear cats at the 'white coats' but he'll be getting better treatment there and hopefully when you call this morning - it will be good news.
I'm keeping your gorgeous boy in my thoughts and prayers xxxx

Lynne

Barbara
08-25-2004, 06:53 AM
I am so sorry to hear about Corkscrew. What you described at the vet really sounds scary. I hope however he will be ok. Sounds as if he is a fighter!

:)

Healing thoughts on their way for Corky:)

Randi
08-25-2004, 08:16 AM
Oh Laura, I'm SO sorry to to hear Corkscrew is ill again. :( It must have been hard for you to have to leave him at the vets. No wonder you are worried sick.

I hope you'll get good news today and you can get him home.

{{{{Hugs}}}}

sirrahbed
08-25-2004, 08:26 AM
http://www.gifpix.de/gifbilder/Ballons/00001805.gif http://www.gifpix.de/gifbilder/Ballons/00001805.gif
Please get well as soon as possible and come home to Meowmie, Corkscrew! We love you.

CatMama78
08-25-2004, 08:47 AM
Oh no!!! this is the first time I've come across this thread. Poor Corkscrew. How scary for you, Laura, that he gets sick frequently :(. I'm sorry you had to leave him at the vet. I know he's scared, but hopefully the end result will be an explanation for and a solution to his illness. I will keep you and Corky in my prayers. Please come home soon and please get well soon too.

aki
08-25-2004, 08:58 AM
Corky, hurry up and get better so your meowmie can stop worrying! Sending up paryers from MI.
(((((((((((hugs))))))))))))))))

Christiansmommy
08-25-2004, 09:22 AM
I hope the vet will have good news for you this morning. (((HUGS)) to you and corkscrew. PLease do keep us updated.

Robyn

catmandu
08-25-2004, 09:25 AM
WE are Praying,for our Friend Corkscrew,and hope,that all is well,with our Dear Friend!

AmberLee
08-25-2004, 11:28 AM
{{{Laura}}} just a quick note to send some cyberhugs to you and ~~~healing vibes ~~~ to Corkscrew. Sure hope he's feeling better soon. He doesn't sound like himself, poor baby.

{{{Tibby}}} is probably very confused right now, too.

Adding Corkscrew to my prayer list.

shais_mom
08-25-2004, 11:40 AM
Any news yet Laura?!
Still thinking of you!

Cataholic
08-25-2004, 01:10 PM
Laura,
{{{{HUGS}}}}} to you. Hang in there. Prayers on the way for Corkscrew and you and Tibby.

catnapper
08-25-2004, 01:12 PM
I hope you hear soon! {{{{HUGS}}}} and more prayers.

kimlovescats
08-25-2004, 01:19 PM
Waiting for an update, Laura! God, please let Corkscrew be ok!!!;)

zippy-kat
08-25-2004, 01:36 PM
Keepin' ya'll in my thoughts and prayers!

Jods
08-25-2004, 02:37 PM
have you heard anything yet???? Oh Corkscrew I hope your okay baby....:confused: Everyone thinking and praying for you

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
08-25-2004, 02:39 PM
Oh no! Corkscrew just has to be OK. :(

Uabassoon
08-25-2004, 02:51 PM
Corkscrew is still at the vet, here is the latest update. One of the reasons they wanted to keep him overnight is because they thought on top of whatever is making him sick and causing the eye problem he also has a UTI so they wanted a urine sample. They still haven't been able to collect a sample. They said he has been drinking water but not very much, they think he might have come crytals or something blocking him up. In about an hour they are going to put him under anestisia (sp?) and try to fix the problem. So please pray that everything goes well.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
08-25-2004, 02:53 PM
Boy, when it rains it pours! Poor Corkscrew. :( I sure hope they figure out what's wrong real soon so he can come home. Thoughts and prayers headed your/his way!

smokey the elder
08-25-2004, 03:02 PM
Get well soon, Corkscrew!

Cinder & Smoke
08-25-2004, 03:12 PM
:(

We kalled da Kat, at home, an axked if he had any *pointerz*?

He sed, after goin through da "catheter thingy" - THREE :eek: Tymes...

He'd vote fur jest lettin da Whit Coat do the "re-plummin job" -

He sez being "plummed" like a gurl kat aint so bad -
don't hafta bother "liftin yur leg" no more! :p

Oh,annna Kat sez "Ya GOTTA DRINK Lotsa Wadder, Corkey!!
If ya dont, yur Mom will prolly jest *SQUIRT* it downna hatch,
like Dad did wiff me. Ask Mom ta put sum Tunna Juze inna wadder -
NOT :eek: KLAM Juze!" :p

Bootsy sez he'll sen sum Kat Purrayers up to God fur ya!

Hope yur Fellin Better, REEL Soon!

catnapper
08-25-2004, 03:31 PM
Corkscrew, I'm praying real hard for you! Please feel better soon and come home to meowmie!

slick
08-25-2004, 03:36 PM
So many sick pets to pray for; we're surely keeping God busy today. :( Corkscrew, please please get better. Hugs to you Laura and more and more prayers on the way.

Barbara
08-25-2004, 03:37 PM
I am a little more relaxed about that surgery because I remember the details when Fister went through it and it all went so well.

Paws and fingers crossed for you, Corkscrew:D

kimlovescats
08-25-2004, 03:38 PM
Oh, poor sweet boy .... prayers coming for his procedure! Thanks for the update ... (((hugs))).

Kim

Uabassoon
08-25-2004, 03:50 PM
Thanks everyone for all the kind words. I guess in about 10 minutes or so they'll will be putting him under the anestisia so they can make him better. Now all I can do is wait :(

DJFyrewolf36
08-25-2004, 04:18 PM
Corky boy, get well soon! Im praying for him! *Hugs* to you in this difficult time.

AmberLee
08-25-2004, 04:24 PM
More prayers coming from my corner of the world.

Get better fast, please, Corkscrew.

Uabassoon
08-25-2004, 06:16 PM
I just got off the phone with the vet again. I guess there were unable to put him under ansestisia like they were supposed to. She said she will try to do it before they close at 6, but she doesn't think they will have enough time :( They are going to do it first thing in the morning, and they want to keep him an extra night. She is also going to call me back in about an hour and give me an estimate on how much this is all going to cost. Hopefully I will have enough money to be able to pay for all of this.

slick
08-25-2004, 06:19 PM
I just got off the phone with the vet again. I guess there were unable to put him under ansestisia like they were supposed to.
You mean unable such as "too busy" or unable such as "something went wrong?"

Uabassoon
08-25-2004, 06:20 PM
Sorry for not clarifing, they were too busy.

BCBlondie
08-25-2004, 06:25 PM
Oh no! :( Poor Corkscrew!! I hope he gets better super fast! I'll keep him in my thoughts.

My kitty, Ilio, is also going under surgery.. Tomorrow morning though.. :(
All kitties and puppies seem to be getting sick or injured now. :( I hope everyone gets well quickly so they can all run about happily once again!

jenluckenbach
08-25-2004, 06:32 PM
OH Corkscrew. :(:( I hate the fact that you have to ait to be fixed up. Hang in there buddy, you will be feeling better real soon. Praying for a speedy recovery.

slick
08-25-2004, 06:48 PM
Oh God Laura, I'll bet this waiting around is killing you. While my Max was in today I was waiting and waiting for a phone call and finally I called them. Talk about "hurry up and wait".

More prayers coming through.

Uabassoon
08-25-2004, 06:57 PM
I got the estimate from my vet. I have been so worried the last few days thinking this was going to cost me an arm and a leg. Thankfully this is going to be a little under $200! While $200 still is a lot of money to me it's seems like nothing at all if I get a healthy and happy kitty in return. So at least now I have 1 less thing to worry about. Now all I have to worry about is my Corky boy.

Uabassoon
08-25-2004, 07:08 PM
I also wanted to add that the tech said Corkscrew is being Nawtee! She asked me if I would be able to give him medicine when he got home, she sounded very concered. And I said I've never had a problem. Then she explained that he's growled and hissed at everyone and doesn't want anyone to touch him. The tech was amazed when I said at night he sleeps under the covers and loves to cuddle. I'm sure it's just a combination of him being sick and scared. Poor baby :(

Cinder & Smoke
08-25-2004, 07:11 PM
That's NOT very expensive!

Did the Vet explain jus WHAT They're Going to DO??

Seems to me Boots, da Kat's "Re-plummin Job" cost
a good deal more than $200!

I think you need to know just WHAT they plan to do;
and what the expected outcome will be.

/s/ Phred

Uabassoon
08-25-2004, 07:15 PM
I really had no idea exactly what was going on until I talked to the tech a few minutes ago. But tomorrow they are going to give him the anestisia and take a needle to take out the urine from his bladder. After that he should be sent home with some medicine. So the cost will include yesterday's visit, the procedure that they will do to him in the morning, boarding, and the medicine he will need to bring home with him.

AmberLee
08-25-2004, 07:18 PM
Phew. As bad as it is, it could be so much worse.

{{{hugs for you, and the Corkster, and all his many friends who are concerned too}}}

Cinder & Smoke
08-25-2004, 07:31 PM

... give him the anestisia and
take a needle to take out the urine from his bladder.

After that he should be sent home with some medicine.

Did they mention installing a temporary "Catheter" ??

Boot's got the Catheter Treatment twice -
and was Sent Home WITH it installed (and a Cone to make sure
it STAYED installed!)

Vet said the catheter needed to stay in place for several days
to allow the blocking "crystals" to flush out of his system.

The "needle removal" of built up urine is usually an emergency procedure -
and doesn't *open up* the blocked urinary passageway.

I'd suggest a more lengthy discussion with his Vet -
ask WHAT the condition is that's causing the problem;
AND if the procedure is a "good fix" - or just a temporary remedy.

There are Several PT Kats that have had urinary blockages -
and they all wound up with the Sir Jury to re-route things

Uabassoon
08-25-2004, 07:40 PM
Phred thank you for giving me some more information on what needs to be done. I'm not sure what is going to be done after they do the needle. Right now I just know what is happening up to that point. When I speak to the vet in the morning I will make sure to ask the questions that you have told me to ask. I know that they still haven't actually been able to get a urine sample from him, so I don't know if they are just doing that to test his urine since the vet has been unable to touch him since he's been there. How do vets normally test for crystals? Is this a common procedure to test if they are unable to get a sample? After that will they need to install the catheder?

Uabassoon
08-25-2004, 07:44 PM
It kind of sounds like this is what they are doing to him

On occasions your veterinary surgeon may want to collect urine directly from the bladder. This is most easily achieved by passing a needle into the bladder. It sounds a bit unpleasant but it’s surprising how well the majority of cats tolerate the procedure. The cat is positioned on its back or side and the skin in the area over the bladder is shaved and disinfected. A fine needle attached to a syringe is passed through the skin, into the abdomen and into the bladder. This method avoids the risk of the urine sample being contaminated.
http://www.catclinic.co.uk/health/urinesamp.htm

While I hate having to worry about cost, in all honesty I'm young and I don't really have a whole lot of money. Of course I will do whatever it takes. At least right now with what is going on the bill is still pretty low and I still do have some more money saved up should he need sir-jury.

NoahsMommy
08-25-2004, 07:54 PM
Hopefully, them not having time means he isn't bad enough where they need to do something NOW.

Is he peeing more today? Is he on pain medicine?

I've seen them do that needle thing. In fact, Livvy had it done and it didn't bother her at all. It sounds much worse than it is.

I'm so sorry you're without him another night. Soon, this will all be over and he'll be home under the covers with you.

Take care, we're here if you need to chat. :)

auggie
08-25-2004, 08:48 PM
Laura, did they tell you that his bladder was enlarged?
Why do they suspect urinary crystals if they haven’t been able to get a sample?
If they suspect a blockage, they should flush him out now and not wait until tomorrow morning.
Phoenix had his bladder flushed twice. The first time by my vet with a cost of over 300$
The second time at the emergency vet’s for more than double that amount.
He was in the hospital for two days with the catheter installed.
This happened last year and he’s been ok every since.
I hope poor Corkscrew is going to feel better soon.
Hang in there and keep us updated.

leslie
08-25-2004, 09:27 PM
Laura, I have twice brought male cats to vets with symptoms of possible crystals. In both vet visits, they took urine from the bladder with no anesthesia at all. the needle is very tiny, the cats did not mind at all. Are they afraid of little Corkskrew and trying to get extra money out of you with anesthesia? (and wasting prescious Corkscrew time?). Do you like the vet? I have never gotten updates from techs, always directly from the vet with full explanations and plenty of time for me to ask questions because they know I don't understand the medical terminology. I pay a pretty penny for it but it is worth a life saved. Still hoping for rapid recovery for your family!

Cinder & Smoke
08-25-2004, 09:34 PM

... When I speak to the vet in the morning I will make sure
to ask the questions that you have told me to ask.

I know that they still haven't actually been able to get a urine sample from him,

... How do vets normally test for crystals?

After that will they need to install the catheter?

Don't panic!!

As long as Corky ism't the :eek: FIRST male kat the Vet has treated -
chances are s/he has done this Test & Treat MANY times!
"Blocked urinary tracts" on MALE kats is a very common problem!!

You don't have time to read up on it right now; but if you read
deeply enough, and talk to enough Vets; you'll find they have
MANY "theories" of how & why crystals, stones, and other blockages
form in the males...
And the "How do we Treat" question gets many theories
and different answers, too!

MY Vet suggested an IMMEDIATE "release" of the backed-up
urine in Boots by IMMEDIATELY installing the Catheter - AND
making the "installation" secure enough that he could
Keep It IN for several days - allowing time for the Bladder to be
completely *flushed out* - and hopefully he'd "never" plug up again.

And when the Catheter is inserted - *whoosh* - he gets the Urine sample
to test for WHAT is plugging things up!

*IF* your Vet did the Needle Insertion - they HAVE a sample.
If they DIDN'T do the needle withdrawal,
I HOPE they're sure poor Corky does NOT have a full bladder;
but let's give the Vet the benifit of the doubt -
I'm sure they know what they're doing!

Boots forgot to "Read da Plan"... he plugged up again a couple
weeks after the First Flush! :(

Catheter #2 was installed, he flushed, tube out;
all was OK for a day or so - then another morning of
DAD! I can't *PEEE* - an it HURTZ!

Back to the Vet ~ for ~
Catheter #3 and he was transferred to the Hospital for Sir Jury!

In Hind-Sight - we should have taken Option #2 that Doc Mike
offered on Plug-Up Day #1 - which was to do the Sir Jury and
not "hope" he'd flush out and have no more problems.

If you don't know what the Sir Jury IS -
they remove the penis completely, and reconstruct him (INTERNALLY)
so that the urine is discharged through a tiny opening
near where the penis WAS on his belly.

MOST Kats (thankfully, Boots is one of the "most") -
have NO Problem "controlling" their elimination =
no *dribbles* or inability to "hold it" till a litter box visit
can be scheduled. He *pees* when HE wants to.

And even if crystals or stones RE-form in his bladder -
the "New Plummin Route" has a larger opening and is a little bit
shorter than God designed him the first time -
much less chance of a "plug" forming and preventing the
flow of urine.

So the Big Question for You & Dr Vet to hash out IS:

Is the "plan" being followed a sure fix - or a "maybe"??

The Operation (Forget WHAT the medical term is :( ) - is pretty
much a sure fix - and very easily done by an experienced KAT Vet.
Patient (Corky) should tolerate it just fine.

Trying to flush and medically "treat" the crystals or stones
that form in the urine - to prevent their formation -
is not quite such a sure thing. And -
if the Non-Surgical remedies don't work - you're faced with
additional rush visits to the Vet IF he plugs again.

BEST thing for you to do is ask the Vet to EXPLAIN what your options are.

Hang in there!

{{{HUGS}}}
/s/ Phred

krazyaboutkatz
08-25-2004, 10:12 PM
Laura, I'm so sorry to hear that Corkscrew is still at the vets and that he may have crystals.:( I sure hope that the procedure goes well tomorrow.
Cirrus was so blocked up in March that he had to have a catheter and then he went through the surgery to make him pee like a female. It also cost me more than the average cat because he's semi-feral and becomes very scared and vicious at the vets so they have to put him under to do simple procedures. Even though my vet knows this, he tried to give him his meds without putting him under and he bit him so he's now known as "killer" at my vets office.
Prayers and positive thoughts are being sent your way. Please take care and keep us updated when you can.

Uabassoon
08-25-2004, 10:21 PM
Are they afraid of little Corkskrew and trying to get extra money out of you with anesthesia? (and wasting prescious Corkscrew time?).

In all honesty I can understand why they would want to give him the anesthesia. Corkscrew is a big and strong cat and while he's tame with me and people who he knows he's very different around people he doesn't trust. When I placed him into the cage at the vet yesterday I could almost immediatly see the change in him, I was even afraid to touch him. I just quickly closed the cage door because I was scared he was going to attack me.

Laura, did they tell you that his bladder was enlarged?
They didn't say it was enlarged but he said it was very tender. Corkscrew would also yowl with pain when the vet would touch his bladder.

Cinder & Smoke
08-25-2004, 10:40 PM
Laura ~

(Hope you haven't *signed off*!)

READ this article -
it's one of the best web write-ups on the subject.

Towards the bottom, there's info on the Surgical Remedy ~
Called THE PERINEAL URETHROSTOMY :eek:

You could even *print* the article and take it with you
to the Vet tomorrow as a reference.

Article >>>

marvistavet.com ~ Urinary Blockage (http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_urinary_blockage.html)

/s/ Phred ..

Uabassoon
08-25-2004, 10:51 PM
Thanks for the link Phred.

leslie
08-25-2004, 11:00 PM
When my cats act out at the vet so to speak, instead of using anesthesia, they take em in the back room where I they use a restraining devise that I have never seen (to my own joy). It's better than waiting- I would prefer blood work be done NOW than do an overnight because so and so is being weird and hissy!. My vet is Dr. Kat (Katherine) Ternes. She specializes in cats. I moved to Boston in 1985, went though a series of vets that tossed my cats around like puddy till someone told me about this vet who does house calls. She has been my vet since about 1987. She no longer does house calls because she was fresh out of vet school at the time. I love her because she hugs and kisses the cats, is sensitive, gives me loads of time for my money, is available 24 hours a day (she has met me at her office at midnight before with a dying foster kitten who was not under her care but was kind enough to see us), and has been available during off hours for me when I've called her regarding Jan's sick cats who have no vet. My point is, she could possibly give a referral to a good cat vet in your area should you ever feel you are not being heard. Or not being told the whole story. She is expensive (office visits are up to probabably $40 - I dunno cuz i dont do annual visits since she told me on the sly that distemper and rabie vaccines last a lifetime- keep that to yourself- she said it's known among vets but not state laws yet). Just fyi for future- I prefer a well informed female vet who goes to all the feline conferences regarding new info and expects all her female (for some reason, all the vets -2- she hires are women!) are always well informed with latest info and spend at least 30 minutes per office visit and kiss and hug all the cats. Its no wonder there is a waiting list to get in at The Feline Hospital at Salem MA

Kater
08-26-2004, 02:31 AM
Laura, I'm sorry Corky is so sick. He has been in my prayers and will continue to be. Hopefully his problem is only temporary and responds well to this course of treatment!
{{{BIG HUG}}}
We are all here for you!

lynnestankard
08-26-2004, 05:35 AM
Oh Laura - what a worry for you. Phred seems to be The Man with the info., failing you being able to speak directly with Boot!

I'm hoping the outcome will be a lot more positive and today may get some good news for Corkscrew.

Last time I was at our vets., (annual check up thingy!) one cat was having a real temper tantrum -NO ONE was going near him - until his owner called him Snugglebum - and everyone in the waiting room fell about laughing - I'm sure I had Ketchum **snicker**!!

C'mon Corky - big brave boy and get well very soon - Meowmie's getting upset xxx

Lynne

catcrazylady
08-26-2004, 05:46 AM
Laura I'm so sorry that things are so stressful right now. I would be out of my mind with worry and I know you're missing sweet Corky.
Please know that prayers are still be said that he gets well soon and comes home feeling all better.

DJFyrewolf36
08-26-2004, 09:59 AM
Hoping for a good update! Hang in there Corky man!

heinz57_79
08-26-2004, 12:15 PM
I've been keeping up on things with you on AIM, but I wanted to drop a note here just to let you know that I was reading everything too! :)

I'm glad his treatment is so inexpensive. I know it could have escalated quickly, if there had been something else wrong, so it must be a relief to know it'll only be about $200. I know you can't wait to have him home with you, and I'm sure Tibby misses him by now too! :p

I hope he gets better soon, both for his sake and for yours. Poor Corky. You're in our prayers, Bella says she'll keep a candle lit til he comes home. :) Love ya!!

lizzielou742
08-26-2004, 12:58 PM
Originally the vet did blood work on Corkscrew for everything because about 2 years ago Corkscrew became very ill, at the time the vet thought he might have had FIV so they did full blood work on him. Since then Corkscrew gets sick about twice a year, he will run high fevers and have horrible respiratory infections that will last for a month or longer. If you do a search and type in "Corkscrew sick" you will see all the threads from where he has been ill, each time it's required a few vet visits before he fully recovers.

I'm really worried because this is the first time the vet has ever asked to keep Corkscrew for the night in all the times that he's been ill. We also think that he may have a UTI, yesterday and the day before he urinated on my recliner. So while he's there they are going to get a urine sample. I think they also plan on doing another blood test on him while he is there. We really just want to get to the bottom of why he is getting sick all the time.

I was wondering...now that the UTI problem is getting fixed, do you have any idea about what the 'larger' problem (why he gets sick about 2x a year) yet? Did you post that somewhere and maybe I missed it? I hope he's OK...How is his eye? I am sorry you and Corkscrew have to go through all this stress, and I hope he gets to come home soon.

Cataholic
08-26-2004, 01:09 PM
Laura,
Still praying for Corkscrew! And, you and Tibby, too, of course.
Johanna

Don Juan's mom
08-26-2004, 02:15 PM
Just got into this thread. I hope Corkscrew is feeling better. And Don Juan is offering to do a free "cat scan."

kimlovescats
08-26-2004, 03:06 PM
Laura ... thanks for taking time out of your worry and work, to keep us updated! I know you are really stressed right now, and missing your baby! :( We all love Corkscrew and pray that he will be home and all better soon!

(hugs) to you!
Kim

Russian Blue
08-26-2004, 05:00 PM
Sending many positive and healthy vibes out to you and Corkscrew. Hope he's healthy and better very soon Laura.

QueenScoopalot
08-26-2004, 06:25 PM
Laura, I missed this thread too. :( Hoping Corkscrew will be alright after the white coat visit. It's stressful not only to him, but to you having to leave him there. As far as corona viruses go, I've heard that over 90% of all cats when they're the age of five, will test positive for corona viruses. Nobody can differentiate between one and another. The common kitty cold so many cats get, is a member of the corona family of viruses, as is FIP. I subscribe to Catnip Newsletter put out by Tuft's University, and they did an extensive article on FIP several years ago. Only 5-10% of exposed cats will actually come down with full blown FIP, and it's mainly genetically linked. Leslie's Cheops (sp?) was a pure-bred Siamese from a breeder, and she lost him to FIP when he was only a kitten. I'll bet that breeder's entire breeding stock eventually succumbed to FIP. I've had FIP here in the past affecting a litter of 8 kittens. Two litters combined, and nursed by sister cats. One kitten was affected, and had to be PTS when he developed obvious wet form FIP. The others have been fine years later, though Marley developed epilepsy when he was six months old or so. I'm sure Corkscrew will be fine, and is probably hurting mainly because of his UTI. Give him lots of kisses for all of us when he comes home...provided he's not hoppin' mad at you! :eek: ;)

Cinder & Smoke
08-27-2004, 01:36 PM
:confused:

Laura ~

How's Corky doing?

We're all *Purrayin* an Krossin Pawz & Klaws
for your Boy -

Any UppyDates from the White Coat?

/s/ Phred

Uabassoon
08-27-2004, 05:41 PM
Corkscrew is doing great :) He came home last night and he peed, and ate and drank water and cuddled. Once they were able to get the urine sample it turned out it was only a UTI so they sent him home with some antibiotics. My vet was out of town so the reason why it took so long to get the sample was because they were short a vet. I've decided that I DO NOT like the other vet at this clinic so as soon as my regular vet gets back into town I am going to make a big complaint. I think I am going to find another vet to use should mine go out of town again.

As for Corkscrews eye I'm convinced that he is allergic to something in my apartment. When I brought him home from the vet his eye looked perfect, no problems at all. Then right now when I got home from work I noticed it was kind of runny again. I'm going to clean my air filters and doing a good cleaning up, I know my place is a little dusty and such. So hopefully that will fix the problem.

So despite my bad experience with this vet, I have Corkscrew home he is happy and healthy and that's all that matters to me.

BCBlondie
08-27-2004, 05:45 PM
I'm so glad Corkscrew is doing alright! :) I hope his runny eye problem goes away soon. Sorry about the bad vet experience. :( I hope you find a better vet!

Laura's Babies
08-27-2004, 06:22 PM
I have been checking to see what the vet said off and on all day, been checking and checking! I am so glad Corkscrew is doing OK now and is on the road to recovery! Bet he IS allergic to something in your new place.... lets hope it is something a good cleaning will take care of.. I am a allergy QUEEN!

kimlovescats
08-27-2004, 06:22 PM
Corkscrew is doing great :)
So despite my bad experience with this vet, I have Corkscrew home he is happy and healthy and that's all that matters to me.

AMEN to that!!! :D

Cinder & Smoke
08-27-2004, 06:36 PM
:)
Wheeeeeew!

*THANKS*, God!

Welcome back Home, Corky!! ;)

Laura ~

Keep a close eye on him ~

Monitor his "drinking habits" :p - be sure he's drinking enough
water - that helps flush and prevent stone & crystal formations.

And also *watch* for any signs of him *straining* to urinate -
Long duration visits to the sandy box with "nuffin happnin" :( is
one of the signs of a urinary blockage.

For what it's worth -
Boots started off being diagnosed & treated for a "U.R.I." -
antibiotics "fixed" him for a few months...
THEN the real urinary BLOCKAGE problems started.

Hope that never happens with Corky - but please, be observant! ;)

/s/ Phred

Uabassoon
08-27-2004, 06:38 PM
Thanks for the info Phred! I'm most definatley going to be on the lookout now. I'm also going to try to change a few things, from now on the kitties are only getting bottled water. I'm also going to reduce the treats since i know they aren't very good for them, and I'm thinking about switching them over to a healthier food. They are on science diet right now, so I might switch some something of higher quality.

catnapper
08-27-2004, 06:41 PM
*Welcome Home Corkscrew!*

I'm relieved to hear that its only a UTI and that he'll be good as new after a few days on the antibiotics!

Stinks when you don't like the other vet in a clinic. :(

jenluckenbach
08-27-2004, 07:58 PM
I am so glad that corkscrew is on the mend :D

auggie
08-27-2004, 08:35 PM
I’m so glad it wasn’t a blockage.
I’m still following Phoenix to the litter box every chance I get and so far so good.
Hoping the same for Corkscrew.

jazzcat
08-27-2004, 08:45 PM
Glad to hear he is back home and okay!

QueenScoopalot
08-27-2004, 08:50 PM
I'm happy Corkscrew's home too! Hope you can figure out what's causing the eye flareups. Could it be dietary? :confused:

slick
08-27-2004, 09:19 PM
Laura, you must be so relieved. I'm so glad that Corky is back in your loving arms.:) Pet Talk Prayers to the rescue again. I'm still praying for his continuing recovery and I hope you find the reason for the runny eye. As Phred says, I guess you just have to "keep an eye" on him.

krazyaboutkatz
08-27-2004, 09:21 PM
I'm so glad to hear that Corkscrew is back home again and doing well.:) I'm also glad that he didn't have any crystals. Hopefully his UTI will clear up soon and you'll be able to find out what's causing his runny eye problems.

lizzielou742
08-27-2004, 09:28 PM
So glad he's home!!! :D Yay!!

BTW, I picked up a FreshFlow pet fountain on eBay for like $30. My cats love it and I notice them drinking a lot more water - from the pet fountain and from their bowls - since I got it. It comes with a filter to remove impurities. I bit expensive, but it might help.

Good luck & kisses to Corkscrew.:)

Felicia's Mom
08-27-2004, 09:34 PM
I am glad Corky is okay!

NoahsMommy
08-28-2004, 12:02 AM
Yay! Corkscrew is home!! :D

catcrazylady
08-28-2004, 06:41 AM
Great news to read this morning! I'm so glad Corkscrew is ok and I'm especially glad he is home with you now.
Hugs and snuggles toyou Corkscrew!!! Hugs to you to Laura I know you've been through a lot worrying about the little fellow.

lynnestankard
08-28-2004, 10:05 AM
Great News Laura. So pleased the Corkster is back home with his Meowmie and feeling a little better - fingers crossed he continues his recovery.

Sorry it was a bad vet experience :(

Well Done Corkscrew xxxxx

Lynne

Barbara
08-28-2004, 11:24 AM
I'm so glad to hear Corky is better and it is an UTI only:D

As to his eye: I hope it's not a cat hair allergy;)

Russian Blue
08-28-2004, 02:59 PM
Glad to hear he's home and healthy! :)

You may want to introduce a high quality canned food into their diets, which in turn will also increase their water consumption. Always a good thing in keeping the crystals away!

About the runny eye, has Corkscrew been tested for Herpes virus? Cats that are under stress will 'activate' the virus and it will shed. Many people who bring cats home from a stay at the vets or a shelter will suddenly find the cat has runny eyes.

Just a thought. Ever since Nakita was diagnosed with the herpes virus, that is the first thing that I think of when people mention eye problems after a stressful situation.

Uabassoon
08-28-2004, 03:08 PM
About the runny eye, has Corkscrew been tested for Herpes virus? Cats that are under stress will 'activate' the virus and it will shed. Many people who bring cats home from a stay at the vets or a shelter will suddenly find the cat has runny eyes.

Just a thought. Ever since Nakita was diagnosed with the herpes virus, that is the first thing that I think of when people mention eye problems after a stressful situation.

I don't think he has herpes because Corkscrew has been tested for pretty much everything, so I would think that I would have been told something if that's what he had.

The eye problem also didn't start after the vet visit, he had the eye problembefore then we had gone to the vet about two weeks ago and got some medicine for it. It was yucky when we went back to the vet this last time for the UTI. After spending two nights at the vet his eye had totally cleared up at look perfect. Then after being at home for a night it became runny again, I'm thinking that it may be allergies in the house.

leslie
08-28-2004, 08:17 PM
where did you get the idea that just because at your house one eye reacts mean it is an allergy!? not necessarily. Don't go nuts about trying to figure out what he could be allergic to, you'll go crazy and get too much fur on your black work clothes. He probably just needs some teramycin in that one eye (oh yeah like I am a vet all of a sudden). But for real, don't knock yourself out over his eye. Tell the vet (the real vet) and get the eye ointment necessary). sometimes eye ailments come with a uti- it is an infection so it is normal. I hope one of those "techs" didn't tell you he has an allergy when he hasn't even been tested for such (for heavens sake). sorry if I seem riled but i don't want to see you wasting your time and money...

Uabassoon
08-28-2004, 08:31 PM
No, the vets didn't tell me it was an allergy. I'm just guessing since it's didn't bother him at all while he was at the vets. He is already getting teramycin for his eye, that's what my vet gave me when I took him in earlier for the eye problem. It just seems odd that when he is out of the house he is fine, but as soon as he's back in the house it bothers him again. I don't think it's stress related because he was stressed at the vet and it was fine, and even if he is a little stressed here it wouldn't be nearly as stressed as he would have been at the vets.

leslie
08-28-2004, 09:04 PM
teramycin is the balls for the one eye, one nose symtoms!
So all will be well with his eye- jan would know what it's called, it's not a full blown virus when it's one eye- It is but it's different than the ones that hit both eyes. I have cats I squeeze teramycin in from time to time. it really is no big deal compared to his uti

Kater
08-29-2004, 05:04 PM
I'm so glad Corkscrew is home and feeling better! :D