PDA

View Full Version : Microchipping

Jods
08-24-2004, 02:50 PM
has anyone here microchipped their pets??
I am thinking about getting Pixie done It is a one time fee of 38$ canadian...
What do you guys think?

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
08-24-2004, 02:56 PM
I would do it in a heartbeat if I had a kitten! That $38.00 can save you a lot of heartbreak if Pixie ever gets out.

Laura's Babies
08-24-2004, 03:00 PM
I want to start having mine microchipped, especially Amy.. I just never have picked up the phone and made that call....

CatMama78
08-24-2004, 03:02 PM
Oh yes, definitely get it done! Our are inside only, but you never know. That microchip could come in handy one day.

catlady1945
08-24-2004, 03:28 PM
Here, animals adopted from the humane society are automatically microchipped. We had our others done also. It seems pet care in Ottawa costs a lot more. I believe it was $45 CDN for microchipping our last pet.

boscibo
08-24-2004, 03:33 PM
All mine are microchipped. I don't want to keep collars on them (they are indoors only) and wanted something to ID them in case of fire or natural disaster and we got separated.

It is a very simple procedure, it is given just like an injection. My cats didn't object or raise a fuss at all.

slick
08-24-2004, 03:40 PM
http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?threadid=55425

Go to this link If Kuhio had been microchipped, he would probably be in the loving arms of his Meowmie right now.

If I had young kitties, I would definitely opt to have them microchipped.

Craftlady
08-24-2004, 03:44 PM
Eleanor came microchipped. Skinny and Thumper are not microchipped. In due time.

Don Juan's mom
08-24-2004, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by Jods
has anyone here microchipped their pets??
I am thinking about getting Pixie done It is a one time fee of 38$ canadian...
What do you guys think?

I think it's a bargain! My vet charged $40 USA.

Microchipping really caught on in our area after a sad story involving a dog that escaped from a yard while her owner was at work. The dog had no collar, because the owner was afraid she would get it caught on something. (Apparently, she hadn't noticed the racks of safety collars in the pet supply stores.) The dog was picked up by the Humane Society as a stray. They held onto her for five days, then another family adopted her. Much upset, controversy, name-calling, letters to the editor. The original owner eventually got the dog back.

Anyway, it was after that that Don Juan and I went to see Dr. J. Don Juan now has a microchip SOMEWHERE under all that fur. :D

Liz

Kater
08-24-2004, 03:59 PM
My indoor cat is microchipped. It gives me peace of mind. I would highly recommend it! But remember, you must update your address and phone information! When I volunteered at the Humane Society we would often scan a cat and get the guardian's outdated address. Not very helpful!

RedHedd
08-24-2004, 04:16 PM
Both of mine are microchipped. It was part of the adoption agreement I signed with AnimalSavers. Gives me peace of mind too if anything should happen like an earthquake or something and we got separated.

K & L
08-24-2004, 04:35 PM
I think it's wonderful as long as you update the chip if any information changes. We found, Hazel, who was microchipped. Unfortunately the owners did not update this info, so we could never locate them. Of course, for us, this was a plus....but would've loved to have been able to return her to her owners.

kuhio98
08-24-2004, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by slick
http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?threadid=55425

Go to this link If Kuhio had been microchipped, he would probably be in the loving arms of his Meowmie right now.

If I had young kitties, I would definitely opt to have them microchipped.

I definitely recommend getting all your pets microchipped. If PRINCESS Kuhio (Yes, I know Kuhio is a male's name, but our Kuhio was a girl) had been chipped, she would have been found in time to be reunited with us instead of being put to sleep at the shelter. Chipping costs $50 in Anchorage but it so worth the peace of mind. And yes, you have to keep your information up-to-date: addresses, phone numbers, vet info, etc. But it is so worth it.

sirrahved
08-24-2004, 07:02 PM
Both of our girls are chipped. I watched them go in, it was relatively painless, and it could get your pet returned to you if lost! It's worth it if you have the money for it. Our chipping was included in the 70 dollar adoption fee.

Mandy-Lee
08-24-2004, 07:16 PM
I've never heard of this procedure but would love to know more! It could've saved my husband and I a lot of heartache. We still are wondering where our baby girl could be...
Lost since July 5th,2003-
http://catoftheday.com/archive/2003/March/24.html

I have my other 2 who are indoor kitties, but if something ever did happen, unexpectantly..like Nova...this would help..I gather!?

Grace
08-24-2004, 07:22 PM
All of ours are chipped - done with neutering or dental work. Our Vet charges nothing to do it; there is a $15 fee to register the info. I'm relieved to have them all protected.

wolflady
08-24-2004, 07:46 PM
Microchipping is a great idea, and I've noticed more and more people coming into the hospital and having it done. We charge around $40 for microchipping, so sounds like there are some pretty good deals out there if you look for them! :)

Here's some information about microchipping (http://www.gilroyvet.com/287610.html) that I put up on my hospital's website.

My dog, Priya, is microchipped. It's part of the standard process when animals are adopted from my local shelter:)

My cats aren't microchipped, but I think I'm going to have it done. Even though they are indoor cats, it will be a piece of mind in case they were to escape for some reason.

carole
08-24-2004, 08:11 PM
I would love to have my two micro-chipped, but until proper scanning is done, there is no point, at this stage only if your pet were found and given to a vet, maybe just maybe they would scan your pet.,but with 95 per cent of all cats being indoor/outdoor in NZ this is very necessary.

I think it is a legal requirement to have all dogs done in NZ now,and they may enforce this upon cat owners, which in MO will be a good thing.

JRM
08-25-2004, 06:45 AM
Winston was chipped by the Humane Society before I brought him home. Wallace will be getting chipped as well as soon as I find a local vet who uses the same chip. Winston has an Avid chip and I want to register them both with the same company. It's also great because you give them not only your contact info, but also the info of a family member or friend in case they can't reach you. My boys are indoor, but you can never know what might happen.

emily_the_spoiled
08-25-2004, 08:08 AM
Two of my guys are micro-chipped, the rest will be done the next time they go in to see the vet. Although mine are strictly indoor only cats I didn't want to take a chance if they ever escaped or I had a fire and they got out.

Sometimes the local humane society will run promotions on micro-chipping, so keep your eyes open.

catmandu
08-25-2004, 09:47 AM
I would love to,but the cost,is so high,and the Dental,comes,first!