PDA

View Full Version : Question about Kitty Coughs (advice please?)

christa
08-24-2004, 01:14 PM
OK, I know I've posted about this before, but I thought I'd try it again, see if I get any different advice.

Josie has coughing spells, at least once a day. She hunkers down and coughs for about a minute. She never struggles to breath or anything like that, just coughs. Sometimes it sounds like she coughs up something but then swallows it back down. I just assume that she's coughing up hair balls? I've only seen evidence that she's cought up a hair ball ONE time. (just a tiny amount of vomit/food on the floor)

I've been giving her treats for hairballs and also, her new ProPlan for Indoor Cats is supposed to help with the hair ball problem.

Is there anything else I can do? I've heard of people giving cats differen things for hairballs, but figured I'd get some advice from my favorite PT'ers first. Anyone ever had similar problems???

RedHedd
08-24-2004, 01:34 PM
It's hairballs. Mishi does the same thing, although sometimes it sounds like he's hyperventilating and can't catch his breath. Once he's calmed down after the coughing fit, I dose him with some Petromalt and everything seems to be fine.

christa
08-24-2004, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by RedHedd
. . . Petromalt and everything seems to be fine.

I'M SO GLAD TO HEAR THIS!!!

Petromalt??? Where do you get this???

emily_the_spoiled
08-24-2004, 01:55 PM
You can get it at PetSmart or any pet store. Emily does the same thing. It sounds like she is choking and then all of a sudden up comes this HUGE hairball (and she is a small cat) :rolleyes:

Equus217
08-24-2004, 01:57 PM
Sounds like hairballs to me.....

I think Catlax helps with hairballs too...and you can get that at Petsmart, or from your vet.:)

christa
08-24-2004, 02:05 PM
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU for your replies so far.

I feel better about it and will try to find some of the remedies that you all suggested. We don't have a large pet store chain around here, but there is a "PetMart" (not to be confused with PetSmart) and I will check there.

THANKS again!

boscibo
08-24-2004, 02:06 PM
One other thing - Asthma can cause a cat to cough like hairballs, but nothing comes up. If hairball remedies don't seem to be working, you might want to have the vet check for asthma.

Laura's Babies
08-24-2004, 02:10 PM
Amy suddenly started doing that exact thing... being how I am about her, I called the vet immediately. First he gave me the fur ball lecture as he took her temp and he was shocked when he saw she had a temp. Said it could be a URI starting so he gave her a round of antibotics (he knows how I am about her too).. That fixed whatever the problem was... fur ball or URI. I haven't heard her cough since.

If you got the extra $$ on hand, take her in and get her checked. I'd rather be safe than sorry.

christa
08-24-2004, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by boscibo
One other thing - Asthma can cause a cat to cough like hairballs, but nothing comes up. If hairball remedies don't seem to be working, you might want to have the vet check for asthma.

Now THIS is what I was afraid of. The last time I posted about this problem, somebody suggested asthma. She doesn't ever seem to loose breath or have difficulty breathing though.

I'll try some of these remedies and if they don't work, I'll get her to the vet.

Thanks.

christa
08-24-2004, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by Laura's Babies
Amy suddenly started doing that exact thing... being how I am about her, I called the vet immediately. First he gave me the fur ball lecture as he took her temp and he was shocked when he saw she had a temp. Said it could be a URI starting so he gave her a round of antibotics (he knows how I am about her too).. That fixed whatever the problem was... fur ball or URI. I haven't heard her cough since.

The only thing with this is, she's been coughing like this for months and months. I'd say since January. Other than the cough, she seems perfectly healthy. Do you think she'd do this that long if it were something like that???

Laura's Babies
08-24-2004, 02:25 PM
Amy only had 2 spells within hours of each other...She went to the vet THAT day... Like I said, I am EXTREEMY procetive of her... I am not sure how long a URI can go untreated.... Hopefully, someone else can tell you more.

Equus217
08-24-2004, 02:35 PM
I forgot to mention my recent experience. Little Reno has these sneezing fits every once in a while. I probably hear one a day, she'll sneeze for 60 seconds repeatedly and then she's fine. A vet trip resulted in antibiotics...which didn't help, and an end diagnosis of allergies. You are in a similar climate I think so maybe, that's what is bugging Josie too. I also noticed a decrease in her sneezing since we moved into our new house. So I think our older house had more dust etc.

This sounds corny but, maybe that Allergen reducer Febreeze might help??

good luck!:)

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
08-24-2004, 02:47 PM
I also think it's hairballs. I've got a lot of experience with the hacking/choking/coughing that comes with hairballs - unfortunately. Petromalt works great. There are other brands that are basically the same thing, so if your local store doesn't have Petromalt specifically, they should have something similar. Tubby likes to eat it right out of the tube. Peanut, not so much. So I put some on her foot and she proceeded to flip her foot, consequently flipping the Petromalt all over the wall. :rolleyes:

So if you get some and Josie won't eat it right out of the tube, rub some on her foot, don't just squeeze it on or you'll be wiping Petromalt off your walls too. ;) :D

Good luck and hopefully this will do the trick. I used to give Tubby some every morning and it really helped.

christa
08-24-2004, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by Tubby & Peanut's Mom
I also think it's hairballs. I've got a lot of experience with the hacking/choking/coughing that comes with hairballs - unfortunately. Petromalt works great.

I will definitely try this. Thanks!

Craftlady
08-24-2004, 03:51 PM
We get Cat Lax from the vets. The PetMalt you can get at PetSmart or any large retail pet store. Good stuff :)
A tab of vaseline does the same thing but I cant bring myself to use it cause it's not flavored. :)

kimlovescats
08-24-2004, 04:13 PM
Definitely sounds like hairballs!;)

catmandu
08-25-2004, 10:38 AM
My Vet,told me,that unless the cough,was persistent,and loud,taht there was generally nothing,to worry about!

christa
08-27-2004, 02:58 PM
I bought some Petromalt today!!! They carry it at the pet store in the next town. Wish us luck that it works!!!

And THANKS SO MUCH for all the advice!!!