PDA

View Full Version : Golden retriever games

GoldenRetrieverLover_01
08-24-2004, 10:51 AM
Hey everyone!

I have a Golden retriever named Buddy ( he was DOTD yesterday). Just out of curiosity I'd like to know what games your dog, or even better Golden Retrievers like playing. Buddy loves to chew on things, play tug-of-war but suprisingly not too much into fetch. When you throw the ball or whatever it is he'll go get it then lie down with it and won't bring it back. Any ideas on how to teach him to play fetch? Keep posting here. You're replies are appreciated.:D

LorraineO
08-24-2004, 11:21 AM
My Lucy loves ot play on the floor with my hubby,, just wrestling,,, she often will crawl under him while he is on all fours,,, too funny,,,,,

she also loves,, and I mean LOVES to take a piece of her kibble and toss it around like a ball,,, entertains herself for hours doing this,, when she is done,, she simply eats it,,, :D

pitc9
08-24-2004, 12:31 PM
GoldenRetrieverLover_01

Instead of replying to every thread in Dog General telling people to go to games, why didn't you just put this in Dog General where more people will see it!

It was VERY rude of you to post that in the thread about someone's dog being sick.

Everyone will be happy to talk to you if you post things where they are supposed to be posted.

I have a Buddy myself, he's a German Shepherd I also have a German Shepherd named Sierra.

Welcome to PetTalk!

cloverfdx
08-24-2004, 12:47 PM
pitc9, i was going to say something also. :)

We have too many games to list, from fetch to carying a tree branch around everything is a game to my kids.

Samantha Puppy
08-24-2004, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by cloverfdx
pitc9, i was going to say something also. :)

We have too many games to list, from fetch to carying a tree branch around everything is a game to my kids. As was I. :mad:

Everything is a game to Samantha as well. Why not just subject your dog to all different sorts of toys and games. You should be able to tell his preferences by his reactions.

GoldenRetrieverLover_01
08-25-2004, 12:07 PM
Thanks everyone for your posts, I appreciate it. Buddy knows ots of games I just wanted new ideas. By the way, sorry for posting in someone else's thread. I did not read what it was about, and it was really rude of me. I meant no harm and hope you can all forgive me. :( Once again thanks and keep posting!

LorraineO
08-25-2004, 02:12 PM
I think its safe to say youre forgiven,,,,, right guys,,, ahem,,, I mean gals??

ARE there any guys in here????

anna_66
08-26-2004, 09:36 AM
Our rottie Angus likes to play with his "big red ball" or a tennis ball sometimes.
And Roxey she likes to play tug too, but her favorite game is either hide and seek or chase through the house!

GoldenRetrieverLover_01
08-26-2004, 09:45 AM
Cool! I'm sure all of you are extremely wonderful people and have amazing pets. Many thanks to all of you! And thanks for forgiving me.:)

GoldenRetrieverLover_01
10-08-2004, 09:05 AM
Any more suggestions from others?

nea
10-09-2004, 12:09 PM
My dog takes pretty much everything as a game...:rolleyes: Clicker training is a great game, he starts bouncing in excitement when I get the clicker out. We don't always do anything "real", just shape whatever. Its a great game to play when tired- you can just sit in a chair and wait for the dog to work out what will get a click!:D

Retrieving is a favorite "game" too.

Running around aimlessly is fun too. I run, he chases me. I turn, he turns and catches up, I turn again, and so on.

The kicking game is fun! I kick (gentley, of course) at him, he bounces and tries to figure out how to get close enough to leap up and lick my face.:rolleyes:

"Go find" is excellent, its both fun and makes them think. Put the dog in a sit/stay, show a toy, then hide it. Tell the dog to find it, and it has to find that specific toy.

And theres lots more games Web and I like to play too...:)

GoldenRetrieverLover_01
04-16-2005, 12:00 PM
Neat! Thanks for all the suggestions, post if you have any more.

Sassy_luvr
04-22-2005, 08:55 AM
sassy and i love 2 play tag.it is so funny because i will chase her until i tag her and she will try and get me 2 chase her again.it is a whole lot of fun we play until mom says 2 stop making a ton of noise.all of u should try it!:D

ginagt
04-27-2005, 05:58 PM
Mandy my 8 months old golden loves retrieving, tug of war and playing chase with Reba ( 7 month old beagle puppy).

Mandy has just started really retrieving in the last month or so. I wasn't sure if retrieving was instinct or had to be taught. I contacted my breeder and it's instinct but she said one that had to be encouraged what I did was encourage her with treats when she had the ball to bring it back to for a treat. She now brings it back and drops it at my feet when I say "give".

LauraT7
05-04-2005, 02:51 PM
Fizzy is into balls - but like someone above mentioned, she doesn't always BRING THEM BACK!

We're working on that!

She DOES like to play 'keep away' - she'll get a toy and i'll look at her and say "I'm gonna get it!" and she's off - teasing and making me chase her. I'm always careful, though, that in the end I firmly say 'Fizz Come" and "give" - so she knows when I'm serious about taking her toy and when we're 'playing'.

a small kiddie pool is GREAT entertainment for a golden - esp in the summer.

my Tara would play in the water for hours - diving and trying to bite and catch the 'sparkles' in the water - I think she thought they were bugs or fish! she never tired of it! Toby just liked to lay in the water and cool off, Tristan liked to retreive things from underwater - be it a little pool or a big lake - he'd literally dive under and bring up toys, or sometimes, sodden logs! Fizzy was just introduced to the pool - and I tried to entice her in by throwing 6 or 8 tennis balls in the water - but my girly- girl didn't want to get her precious tootsies wet!

laura

ginagt
05-04-2005, 03:00 PM
Mandy went through the I'm not bringing the ball back phase, it didn't last long because when she would not bring it back (after I asked her too) I just said, game over and walked away. A few minutes later I would get the ball throw it and try again, if she brought it back loads of praise and treats if she didn't game over again. It didn't take long for her to figure out which was better. Now we dont' even need treats anymore playing with the ball is better than treats. :)