PDA

View Full Version : HELP/Advice needed...

manda_moo87
08-23-2004, 08:42 PM
Okay, my dear kitty Squeekers is 4 years old and has been an indoor only kitty her whole life (except as a youngster when she was a stray :(). Every since she moved her in May she has greatly desired to be outside (with all the birds and such to get after :p). We don't want her outside...there are so many dangers lurking around here with big dogs on the loose, bears, cars etc. and we don't want to change her habbits as she's lived indoors for so long. She did escape one time in her first home and had some sort of encounter with another cat or racoon and since has been miss a small piece of her ear :(.

Anyways...she's gotten out a few times since we got her but today she got out and ran way behind our house into the forest and I was petrified because I couldn't catch her...we're so afriad that she won't come back if she gets out. We're not sure what to do about it, she's just so sneeky and whenever the screen door is open she darts on out, she's so fast! What can we do to keep her from wanting outside if anything? Anyone have any suggestions...?? We're just so afriad of loosing her...:(

Thanks!

Amanda :o

Tonya
08-23-2004, 08:50 PM
We had that same problem with Ron last summer. And then winter came, and he had no desire to go outside in the cold. By the time summer came back around, I guess he forgot about the great outdoors.

I'd keep a spray bottle by the door and spray her everytime she tries to go near it. You'll have to use caution opening doors until you break the habit.

dogs_4_me
08-23-2004, 08:57 PM
I have that problem with my new kitty Maddie, She is always wanting to get outside, she ripped the screen on the window recently as well, we just had to be really cautious when we opened the door, and we keep a spray bottle handy. Also when your going out, to avoid her running out the door give her a couple treats before leaving.

Mandy-Lee
08-23-2004, 09:36 PM
My 2 kitties love to get out as well. Thor is 4 years old and he does get to go out and play when I go out with him. He doesn't run away, he stays with me, but that isn't the case with my lil' girl,Belle. She is 1 and she does the same thing..tries to jet outside whenever she sees a chance. We are just very cautious when opening the door if she's around. We usually scoot her away with our foot. My husband and I take her out in our arms and she is very content like that..but once she starts to squirm..in the house she goes. We wouldn't ever let her out free like Thor b/c she's proven she can't do that. Belle runs around the other building next to us, so we have to chase her around other peoples homes :) With Thor, he squawks to get out and won't stop sometimes b/c he gets a tatste and wants more. ...so he gets put in the basement for a few minutes until he calms down:p
The treat idea definately works...keeps them busy while you try to leave.
I open the windows(in the summer) everyday for them both...they don't pick at the screens which makes it good.

Good luck.

Laura's Babies
08-23-2004, 09:51 PM
I broke Chester of wanting out with ONE well planned trip outside. My neighbor, who is real close and let her little yapping dog out (about a 4 pounder full groun) so I let him "escape" one day when I knew the dog was out.. That little yelping ball of fur took off after Chester yapping her heart out and chased him under the shed. Chester about tore the screen off the front door trying to get back inside... Has not wanted to go out here at home since!

(I know that was BAD but I am scared to death of mine getting out! I want them inside where they are safe.)

emily_the_spoiled
08-24-2004, 07:38 AM
I give my guys treats just before I leave for work in the morning and they are so preoccupied with that they never try to escape. ;)

Jods
08-24-2004, 08:15 AM
This may sound bad but it worked... When we first got Fifa he kept doing this... and he absolutly cannot get out around here people poison cats and everything... I'm going to train pixie on a leash but anyways here's how we got fifa to stay in the last time he tried to get out my mom had a boat horn and she blew it now this thing is really really loud!!!! It scared him and now he doesn't try to shoot out the door anymore....

I know this was bad but he absolutly cannot get out....

Laura's Babies
08-24-2004, 08:55 AM
Hay Jods, whatever works!! I used the dog next door, you used the car horn...we have to be creative to get ahead of these smart creatures!

catmandu
08-24-2004, 09:33 AM
,this year,am going,to have the Back Porch,enclosed,so that the Found Cats,can have a taste,of the Outdoor world! Is there any way,that you can do,this for your Companion!

manda_moo87
08-25-2004, 01:20 PM
Thanks everyone :)

I'll definatly try the spray bottle...and the treats! ;)