PDA

View Full Version : Buying a house soon and I need some advice.

cubby31682
08-23-2004, 04:34 PM
I have asked all of you about the move it's self. My big concern besides the move, is the back yard. It is all fenced in, and I would love to be able to let Cubby go outside as long as I am out there with him. He will not be allowed outside unless I'm out there. He has never gone outside before except in his evil vet carrier. (Which he will be in to go to the new house). I want him to learn that it is only okay to go out when I go with him. How do I teach him that? Will he cry alot when he wants to go outside when he gets use to going out there? Should I first try and get a leash put on him and teach him that I have to be there that way? Or should I get a patio chair and put that out on the deck so I can see him? I do plan on keeping a bowl of water out there when ever he goes outside, when it gets to humid here he starts panting. So many questions so little time. :rolleyes:

Growing up we just let are cats outside, my parents always figured that they know where their food is, and if they didn't they could follow all the strays that we fed. But Cubby is declawed and has always been an indoor cat.

Thanks for the advice ahead of time.

Katie & Cubby.

CatMama78
08-23-2004, 04:39 PM
Hi Katie,

By fenced in, do you mean it's completely enclosed? Unless it's an outside enclosure, I think I would only let Cubby out on a leash or perhaps build an outdoor enclosure for him. Even if you are outside with him, cats are fast and he may hop the fence:eek: . Since he is declawed, this would not be good. Now I'm miss paranoid of the paranoids, but since Cubby has always been indoor, I think leash only is the way to go. Now if it's already completely enclosed (inlcuding top), I think Cubby will be a-ok.

Craftlady
08-23-2004, 04:50 PM
Cats can climb fences in a flash. Since Cubby has never been outside and he is declawed I would not have him outside without a leach. He has no defenses. Take the winter to get him used to the leach inside the house. I tried just after a few days with RBButterscotch and he had been outside Kitty. He took off for the raven broke the leach and I went flying down the hill after him. After about 1/2 hr of coaxing him with treats I climbed up the hill to the apartment and inside we went and didn't try the leach after that experience. Our neighbors at the time did a leach but they did it since their guy was a kitten didn't try in a few years later like I did.

Jods
08-23-2004, 04:54 PM
I was wondering this about pixie as well... She is not de-clawed but I will for sure be putting her on a harness and lead because I;m scared a noise would spook her or something and she would take off... I also would want to be out with her all the time. What I would also like to know is if I do start this will she want out all the time and hurry to the door whenever it gets opened?

Edwina's Secretary
08-23-2004, 05:05 PM
A cat without claws will have a very difficult time to climb a fence. They could....possibly...jump the fence though.

I have two cats....one with claws, one without. They are allowed in the fenced backyard only on a harness and when chaperoned. The harness and leash allows me to pull them out when they get into ackward places (bushes for example.) I also have bells on the harnesses to help me find them when they wander the yard.

Sometimes they whine to go out when I can't or don't want to do so. They have rather short attention span though and get over it quickly.

cubby31682
08-23-2004, 05:24 PM
The fence is an 8 foot wood fence, he will not be able to climb it at all. There is one bush which is a grape vine bush thing. The backyard is completly closed in. I did try to put a harness on him when he was a kitten and he was fighting so I gave up on trying. It wasn't worth stressing him out. I will go out and get a coller with a little hook thing on it so I can hook him up to a leash and let him out that way.

Thanks again.

Catsnclay
08-23-2004, 06:26 PM
Gosh, I don't want to start anything here, but WHY even bother to let him go outside?? :confused:

Put a screen door on your back door and just let him look out and get the smells.

You would be heart broken if he darted off and got away from you.

Indoor kitties are the safest.

Laura's Babies
08-23-2004, 06:42 PM
Don't bet on hom NOT being able to climb the fence without claws.. Cats are VERY smart.. MY opinion is don't even get started on letting them outside. IF you want them to have freash air and all that, have an and patio or porch screened in for them...

I had a beautiful, sweet boy, declawed, that got out of a yard with a 8 ft. wodden fence and into the neighbors yard and they had 2 big dogs... We buried him in the yard he eacaped from...:(

sirrahbed
08-23-2004, 10:45 PM
Have you seen the large enclosure that Tubby & Peanut's Mom has? It is huge and wonderful! It even has room for a catnip plant out there. The top has a cover so they are safe inside yet it is like being outside with the fresh air and sunshine. This might be a possibility for you! I bet Cubby would love it:)

In looking at it, I had even wondered if it would be possible to build a tunnel from the house and add a catflap that would allow them access on their own - a door that could be locked at night or other times when you want control of them. We use a catflap to control access to our enclosed porch. Our cats go out there and *think& they are outside as it is screend floor to ceiling on three sides.

cubby31682
08-24-2004, 05:00 AM
Have you seen the large enclosure that Tubby & Peanut's Mom has? It is huge and wonderful! It even has room for a catnip plant out there. The top has a cover so they are safe inside yet it is like being outside with the fresh air and sunshine. This might be a possibility for you! I bet Cubby would love it

I remember seeing pictures of that now that you say something. I might have to try to talk hubby into getting a few tools to make Cubby a little enclosure outside. He wont have the problem buying the tools but he might think I have a few issues if I tell him why. He never understands.

If he doesn't agree to the enclosure then I will keep him inside at all times unless I get him into a harness.

cubby31682
08-24-2004, 05:05 AM
I also forgot to add, that I need advice on one more thing. In the spare bedroom the wall that faces the living room doesn't go all the way up to the ceiling. I would love to add a cat walk going up to there for Cubby. The big problems I see with that are: a) he might try to jump down on the wrong side, b) he might not be able to get all the way to the top, c) the bedroom seems a little to small to add a few ramps up to there for him.

I am trying to figure out an easy way to build something for him but keeping him protected from falling or jumping off the side. He is NOT the most graceful cat I have ever seen. And something that will not take up alot of space as well.

Ally Cat's Mommy
08-24-2004, 05:10 AM
An enclosure would be the best answer. I know you can also get cat fencing that goes around the top of the fence and is *supposed* to keep cats in. Ally does get out occasionally on a harness and leash, but once managed to wriggle out of it, and we had a terrible time getting her in again.

My recommendation would be "Don't tempt fate". If Cubby is a happy indoor cat, why rock the boat?

mruffruff
08-24-2004, 08:25 AM
I have to agree. Cats have a way of escaping even the best fence. Leashed and chaperoned or not at all.

Or build an enclosure that has a cover. I have one that was easy to build and cost around $300 for materials. It's 10X30 feet on the side of the house with a cat flap in a side window.

Mary

catmandu
08-24-2004, 09:36 AM
Personally,I would keep Cubby,indoors,ubtil he gets used to the New House,and then let him out ,a bit,at a time! And you can get outdoor fence enclosures,to make sure,that he doesnt stray! Good Luck!