PDA

View Full Version : moving in with other cats

lily
11-29-2000, 02:41 PM
I'm about to go to school in another city. I will probably be living in a dorm, and my cats will be living with my parents while I'm in school. I will be living at my parent's also for the first two weeks to month the cats are there. The problem is that my parents have two dogs and 3 cats already. All their animals are indoor-outdoor as they have 30 acres, but i was wondering what i can do to make this transition easier for my kitties

Troy
12-03-2000, 07:33 AM
I have moved many times with different cats and the most important thing to do is to keep them inside for the first two weeks (even though they may scream to be let outside!). After this period of time they should know where "home" is. It will also be of enourmous help if you can reserve a part of the house for your cats so that they feel safe somewhere without having to share it with your parents' pets. As for getting used to the other cats, this can take a lot longer. I have had some cats take up to 3 months to get used to the others. Apart from mediating their initial encounters there is not much you can do but encourage them to get along and stop them fighting.

I hope it goes smoothly for you. Troy.