PDA

View Full Version : Hazel's Taken A Turn For The Worse

K & L
08-21-2004, 05:19 PM
She has been vomiting ALL day. I'm wondering if the antibiotics are upsetting her stomach? I'm going to cook some chicken and mix with some rice and see if this helps settle it down a bit. She's a bit lethargic (but not bad), but if no signs of improvement by tomorrow...she will be at the ER.

Craftlady
08-21-2004, 05:25 PM
Poor baby. I agree it might be antibotic. We had that experience with one kind that required a "decent amount" of food taken with medicine. 1 pill out of the bottle ($25 later wasted) it didn't work so we had to change to another kind that required 3x a day instead of 1x a day dose.
We were told to skip a daily dose and try it again the next day, give tummy a rest. Might want to try that if it's a 1x a day dose.
Chicken and Rice is good thing :) Also water the rice was cooked in (rice in bag stuff) is good for them to drink.
Hope Hazel feels better. :)

slick
08-21-2004, 05:43 PM
Prayers on the way for sweet Hazel. :( Get better little girl!

Tonya
08-21-2004, 05:43 PM
Get well soon, Hazel. :(

Grace
08-21-2004, 05:59 PM
I'm so upset to hear this. For some reason she has tugged at my heart from the first moment you posted about her.

I'm sending all my prayers and good thoughts for that sweet thing - and for you.

catnapper
08-21-2004, 06:12 PM
PoorHazel. Some of those antibiotics are really rough. I had one for Bronchitis last winter and was sicker for the duration of the antibiotic... so I can only imagine what a strong antibiotic would do to an already sick kitty. :( I hope the chicken and rice helps her feel better.

K & L
08-21-2004, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by Grace
I'm so upset to hear this. For some reason she has tugged at my heart from the first moment you posted about her.

I'm sending all my prayers and good thoughts for that sweet thing - and for you.

At ours too! I can't even describe how sweet and gentle Hazel is! She did eat the chicken and rice (along with numerous other cats) and seems to be a bit better. I'm thinking it could be the antibiotics so will take her in on Monday and either get different ones, or shots instead! I will keep you posted!

krazyaboutkatz
08-21-2004, 06:31 PM
I sure hope that Hazel feels better soon. Poor baby.:(

emily_the_spoiled
08-21-2004, 06:50 PM
You are right, it sounds like the antibiotics are making her tummy upset. In humans, it would be recommended that the antibiotics are taken AFTER the food. Maybe this would help in cats :confused:

QueenScoopalot
08-21-2004, 07:01 PM
Get well Hazel. My friend had an awful experience with Cefa-drops some years back. One of the many she took from me "Theodore" was prescribed them, and I can't even begin to tell you what it did to him! After several days of the vets INSISTING the Cefa was fine, he started loosing hair in clumps, his skin thickened to the point,it looked like a dried up desert terrain, and the poor dear bled. And this was on only a few days of dosing! His skin has to be slathered in ointment to keep it from cracking. The vet got the hint after seeing him. :mad: What is Hazel on?:confused:

kimlovescats
08-21-2004, 07:07 PM
Oh NO!... Come on Hazel, hang in there sweetheart!:(

jenluckenbach
08-21-2004, 07:13 PM
Will be praying for you Hazel. Get better soon please.

Felicia's Mom
08-21-2004, 07:41 PM
I'm very sorry to hear that. Prayers are going out for Hazel!

jazzcat
08-21-2004, 08:54 PM
I hope she feels better soon.

kimlovescats
08-21-2004, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by K & L
At ours too! I can't even describe how sweet and gentle Hazel is! She did eat the chicken and rice (along with numerous other cats) and seems to be a bit better. I'm thinking it could be the antibiotics so will take her in on Monday and either get different ones, or shots instead! I will keep you posted!

That's good she is still eating ... poor baby! Thanks for the update, Lisa! ;)

K & L
08-21-2004, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by QueenScoopalot
What is Hazel on?:confused:

They have her on Amoxicillen. He felt this would be the easiest on her stomach. I'm thinking of going with the shots. It's more pricey but worth it! I'll have to take her in every 3 days for 2 weeks. I gave her a little more food this evening, she ate, now we'll just wait to see if she holds it down.

boscibo
08-21-2004, 10:18 PM
Oh no, poor Hazel. I hope she continues to hold her food in. I've gotten nauseous on antibiotics myself, I hope you can find something that works for her.

carole
08-21-2004, 10:57 PM
I hope Hazel gets better real soon, get well wishes from us here in Aotearoa, I know how hard it is when your kitty is sick, HUGS to you and scritches to Hazel.

dogs_4_me
08-22-2004, 12:06 AM
oh no! I hope hezel gets better soon!

Ally Cat's Mommy
08-22-2004, 01:39 AM
Poor darling:( Hope you feel better soon Hazel!

catcrazylady
08-22-2004, 07:04 AM
Bless her heart! we're praying for you Hazel and we hope your tummy is all better real soon. She is such a beautiful girl. You know, it does't matter how many cats you have because when one gets sick that's the only one you can focus on.

I'm so glad Hazel has you to love her and help her get through this.

Cataholic
08-22-2004, 10:20 AM
Poor little Hazel. Any update yet, Lisa? I know it is early there stilll....

catmandu
08-22-2004, 10:39 AM
THe Found Catsare very concerned,for thier Friend Hazel,and pray,that the White Coats,can help her,to be a well Cat,again!

sirrahbed
08-22-2004, 10:42 AM
I hope Hazel is feeling better soon! I know and hate that feeling when one of our babies is not well:) I know you will keep us posted!

rg_girlca
08-22-2004, 12:39 PM
Oh Hazel, i'm so sorry to hear that you are still not feeling well.

Praying that it is just the antibiotics and you start to feel better real soon sweetie.

K & L
08-23-2004, 08:43 AM
I haven't given Hazel any antibiotics since Saturday and this morning she vomited all over. This is really scaring me! I will take her in this afternoon to the vet.:(

kimlovescats
08-23-2004, 08:48 AM
Oh no, Lisa!!! Please give us an update as soon as you can. Prayers coming for sweet Hazel!!!:(

(((HUGS))) for you, Lisa.

Kim

QueenScoopalot
Originally posted by K & L
I haven't given Hazel any antibiotics since Saturday and this morning she vomited all over. This is really scaring me! I will take her in this afternoon to the vet.:(

Is there anything the vets can give you to help settle her tummy? Many animals can take Zantac for upset tummies. Hope hazel's going to be alright. :(

jenluckenbach
OH NO :(:(: Poor hazel. I'll be waiting to hear the vet report.

lizzielou742
08-23-2004, 08:57 AM
:( :( Hoping Hazel gets better soon, and that the vet can help figure out how to stop the pukiness. :(

K & L
08-23-2004, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by QueenScoopalot
Is there anything the vets can give you to help settle her tummy? Many animals can take Zantac for upset tummies. Hope hazel's going to be alright. :(

I was planning on asking that exact question. It may take something to get it settled down and back on course. I'm sure they'll start the shots vs. the pills also.

catcrazylady
08-23-2004, 09:11 AM
Poor Hazel! Prayers on the way that they can fix her up quickly and make her feel better.

Grace
08-23-2004, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by jenluckenbach
OH NO :(:(: Poor hazel. I'll be waiting to hear the vet report.

What Jen said.

DJFyrewolf36
08-23-2004, 09:51 AM
Get well soon little Hazel! Feeling icky is no good!

Grace
08-23-2004, 10:45 PM
Bump.

I'm praying that no news is good news.

AmberLee
08-23-2004, 10:54 PM
Any update?

krazyaboutkatz
08-23-2004, 11:48 PM
I'm so sorry to hear that Hazel's still feeling lousy.:( Please give us an update when you can. Prayers and positive thoughts are being sent your way.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
08-24-2004, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by Grace
Bump.

I'm praying that no news is good news.

Ditto.

K & L
08-24-2004, 09:50 AM
Thank you everyone! They drew more blood yesterday afternoon, gave her a shot of antibiotics, and prescription Science Diet I/D food. We're waiting for the Dr.'s call this morning for the blood results. On a positive note she had not lost any weight, and was not dehydrated. Negative, she threw up again this morning. Since we don't know her history, it's hard to know if this has been going on a long time, or just started. As soon as we hear results I'll post!

Kona & Oreo's mom
08-24-2004, 09:56 AM
Good luck to you and Hazel. I hope that the blood results come quickly and are good news!

Grace
08-24-2004, 11:54 AM
Thank you for the update. Prayers continue, and good thoughts are winging westward for that sweet kitty, and for you.

kimlovescats
08-24-2004, 12:02 PM
Lisa, I agree that not being dehydrated or having lost any weight is a very good sign! ;) Maybe she just has an intolerance of some sort to the food you have been giving her! Fingers and paws crossed for a good test report!!!;)

Barbara
08-24-2004, 12:10 PM
Keeping fingers and paws crossed for Hazel:D

K & L
08-24-2004, 07:45 PM
We've waited all day and still no word from the vet. I'm assuming he did not get results yet! So far this afternoon Hazel has not vomited.

catcrazylady
08-24-2004, 07:48 PM
Oh, I'm sorry you have to wait another day. There is nothing worse than waiting!
I'm so glad she hasn't vomited anymore today anyway. Bless her heart.
I hope you get good news tomorrow and maybe a new diet will take care of everything.

{{{HUGS}}} to you Lisa and please pass one along to the precious Hazel.

jenluckenbach
08-24-2004, 07:50 PM
Waiting is the pits :( I am glad she did not vomit, though. But has she eaten?

K & L
08-24-2004, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by jenluckenbach
Waiting is the pits :( I am glad she did not vomit, though. But has she eaten?

Yes, she is eating. The strange thing is it's never food she vomits. It's always liquid and either brown or yellow. Sometimes foam.

wolflady
08-24-2004, 07:55 PM
Sorry I just saw this! Poor Hazel. I sure hope she feels better soon. Going through these posts, I was wondering if the medicine is causing her to vomit? Is it primarily after she takes meds, or is it random. If she continues to vomit, you could ask your vet for some reglan, as it should calm upset tummies and you can use it in conjuction with any other meds that she is taking.

I'm glad that she's not losing weight or dehydrated. That is good news. Do keep us posted on the blood test results!
**hugs**

K & L
08-24-2004, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by wolflady
Sorry I just saw this! Poor Hazel. I sure hope she feels better soon. Going through these posts, I was wondering if the medicine is causing her to vomit? Is it primarily after she takes meds, or is it random. If she continues to vomit, you could ask your vet for some reglan, as it should calm upset tummies and you can use it in conjuction with any other meds that she is taking.

I'm glad that she's not losing weight or dehydrated. That is good news. Do keep us posted on the blood test results!
**hugs**

The vomiting was what made us take Hazel to the vet. This continued while administering the antibiotics, so they took her off the oral and are giving her injections instead. It's weird, not like any other we've experienced with all our other cats. Hopefully it's nothing more than a virus. Thanks for the info!