PDA

View Full Version : Computer Question

catnapper
08-21-2004, 12:22 PM
We were having a terrible thunder storm so I decided to turn off my compter, unplu both the computer and the phone line. When I started it back up, it was making a terrible noise.. the fan? Its not as loud now, but I can still hear the noise. I never heard a noise before I shut it down. We never turn off the computer.

Does anyone have any idea what the noise could be and how to fix it?

Ally Cat's Mommy
08-21-2004, 12:59 PM
If it is the fan, it could just be some dust or debris that has "settled" whilst the PC was off, and now is imbalancing the fan slightly.

The easiest way to clean the fan out is with compressed air - either a gentle flow from a compressor if you have access to one. Alternatively computer shops and artist's supply shops sell tins of compressed air.

BTW it CAN be a messy job - I usually carry mine outside, remove the main cover (of the whole CPU - DO NOT remove the cover of the Power supply which houses the fan - you may get shocked), and blow air over all the cards, the main board and through the power supply.

catnapper
08-21-2004, 01:20 PM
Thank you, I'll have to visit the computer supply store and get myself a can of the compressed air. The sound is gone now, but I thnk I'll still get it done. Who knows how much gunk is inside the computer?

micki76
08-21-2004, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by catnapper
Thank you, I'll have to visit the computer supply store and get myself a can of the compressed air. The sound is gone now, but I thnk I'll still get it done. Who knows how much gunk is inside the computer?

You can buy it at Walmart, too.